What's new

Michigan made history by filing the first grassroots cannabis legalization petition

mayorofthdesert

MILegalize
Anyone know the ins and outs of this new bill?

You can read the bill itself on your link. It looks really propper to me. 12 plants per rec individual (plants less than 12" tall or high don't count yet), tax is 10%, can be decreased but not increased, provisions that limit government from putting undue burdens on entrepreneurs.

I just glanced over the thing, not a thorough read, but I saw a lot I liked & nothing I didn't. Honestly, this is just the thing for Michigan's economy. If mid-west winters didn't put me into a suicidal depression I'd be packing my bags the day this passes, if it does. Look for big business to put together a shit alternative to this if they haven't already.

DemonTrich

Veteran
How in the world is the guberment going to steal....I mean aquire said 10% tax from individuals? If that's the case the f n banks better start taking our money!!

mayorofthdesert

How in the world is the guberment going to steal....I mean aquire said 10% tax from individuals? If that's the case the f n banks better start taking our money!!

The same way they do it everywhere, it's a sales tax you'll pay when buying at a dispensary, not a tax on homegrowers.

Ganjaganjakush

Dispensaries out here are full of garbage, I'll stick to goin to farmer market and getting patients the real meds at affordable prices

shaggyballs

Veteran
so over 100,000 signatures we more than 180 days old and it looks like a flop...sounded too good for the regular folks they had to pull a rabbit out of their a##.

Vote no if it is not what you want or else!

Truthful

It's not going on the ballot in November, the gov has said the people didn't get enough signatures in in the proper amount of time..... they'll kill every child in the state before they let the people have control over this would be cash cow for them. The people who are behind the petition are threatening to sue but we'll see how far that goes.

Ganjaganjakush

Lol they've been getting signatures since last year, majority of the signs were from people who aren't even registered to vote in that spacific County, old votes, ect the medical can't even get its bills looked at fuck the rec, just so big business can take control and feed the uniformEd paitents garbage they call medicine

shaggyballs

Veteran
Marijuana Legalization Campaign Likely Headed To Court After Petitions Rejected
A state board rejected about half of the MI Legalize campaign’s signatures because they were too old.

A state elections board has rejected petitions filed by the campaign to legalize marijuana in Michigan. The next step appears to be a court battle over the time limits set by the state to gather petition signatures.

Half the estimated 350,000 signatures filed by the MI Legalize campaign were rejected because they were collected outside a 180-day time period. But the campaign says the standard, which the state has used since 1986, is arbitrary and unfair.

The 180-day rule means only special interests with deep pockets have the resources to hire enough petition circulators to initiate a law when the Legislature won’t act, says Thomas Lavigne, a marijuana rights attorney who serves on the MI Legalize board.

“Through this policy, they’re allowing big money to influence the check and balance, the people’s initiative,” he says. “Only huge-money interests would ever be able to put something on the ballot, and that is not the intention. This was for the people. This was for the grassroots.”

There is a process to salvage dated signatures. But it requires campaigns to get affidavits from local clerks or the people who signed petitions certifying they are still registered voters. It’s never been successfully used, and MI Legalize say it’s an impossible standard.

Lavigne says the state constitution gives petition drives the four years between gubernatorial elections to collect signatures. The MI Legalize campaign expects to be in court early next week to challenge the board’s decision.

Republican board member Norm Shinkle says the marijuana campaign is simply being treated like every other petition drive.

“It’s changing the rules in the middle of the game,” he says. “They knew what the rules were when they started their petition drive. They just didn’t get enough signatures, and they’re coming to us wanting to change the rules.”

Gov. Rick Snyder signed a law earlier this week to cements the 180-day requirement and repeal the option of using affidavits to resuscitate stale signatures. The law did not play a part in the board decision, but it is being challenged in a separate lawsuit by another failed petition campaign.

TheMan13

Veteran
All those lawyers involved and not one provided the competent legal guidance to restrict the petition drive to under 6 months by design at the get go? Now these same lawyers want to sue the State to get around the 180 days and before the ballots are printed?

I believe MILegalize could have been successful if not for this glaring foreseeable legal/technical error. They should have simply hyped the language and advertised the UNDER 6 month window that the petition would be circulated. Providing a real time thermometer for progress towards the required number threshold on social media would have been golden to keep it in the public conscientiousness as well. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20 ...

I wonder how many of those lawyers are lobbying Lansing for corporate MJ interests, maybe they were just distracted ...

Last edited:

TheMan13

Veteran
I'm worried that by nothing getting done on the ballot this year, we'll likely face corporate negotiated legislation out of Lansing before we'll have another shot at the ballot. We both know exactly how that game in Lansing has been playing out medicinally the past few years ...

I'm getting too old to be considered a heinous criminal rather than a gardener :-o

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
I'm worried that by nothing getting done on the ballot this year, we'll likely face corporate negotiated legislation out of Lansing before we'll have another shot at the ballot. We both know exactly how that game in Lansing has been playing out medicinally the past few years ...

I'm getting too old to be considered a heinous criminal rather than a gardener :-o
Quoted for Truth.

Heinous Criminals? That would be people armed home invaders who kidnap the money earner steal everything of ready value then chain and enslave the victim? Yes sir most are in our government not our gardens ... Sure u can't be talked into runnin??? ;)~ we need more vets imho... Vets all our wars "drugs" especially

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Here's what we are up against

In the Federal Eastern District Court yesterday, Komorn Law and the MMMA filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of all medical marijuana patients and their caregivers who depend on the medical use of cannabis oil or products infused with marijuana, such as edible preparations. The lawsuit seeks to enjoin the Michigan State Police and Oakland County Sheriff’s Forensic Laboratories from creating reports falsely stating that medical marijuana preparations are a synthetic schedule 1 drug, with no medical use. The lawsuit also asks the Court to appoint a crime lab monitor to ensure that a scientific standard is applied at the labs for marijuana and its preparations.

The class is represented by four plaintiffs, each one a previous defendant to criminal charges and asset forfeiture for possession of medical marijuana preparations.

The named defendants of the lawsuit are Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue, Director of the Michigan State Police, Inspector Scott Marier, Interim Director of the Michigan State Police Forensic Science Division, Capt. Joe Quisenberry, Commanding Officer of the Forensic Services Laboratory for Oakland County, and Michael Bouchard, Sheriff of Oakland County, Michigan.

Read the lawsuit and see the exhibits here: http://michiganmedic...nd Exhibits.pdf

FOX17 Coverage w/video: http://fox17online.c...orting-policy/

shaggyballs

Veteran
Here's what we are up against

In the Federal Eastern District Court yesterday, Komorn Law and the MMMA filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of all medical marijuana patients and their caregivers who depend on the medical use of cannabis oil or products infused with marijuana, such as edible preparations. The lawsuit seeks to enjoin the Michigan State Police and Oakland County Sheriff’s Forensic Laboratories from creating reports falsely stating that medical marijuana preparations are a synthetic schedule 1 drug, with no medical use. The lawsuit also asks the Court to appoint a crime lab monitor to ensure that a scientific standard is applied at the labs for marijuana and its preparations.

The class is represented by four plaintiffs, each one a previous defendant to criminal charges and asset forfeiture for possession of medical marijuana preparations.

The named defendants of the lawsuit are Col. Kriste Kibbey Etue, Director of the Michigan State Police, Inspector Scott Marier, Interim Director of the Michigan State Police Forensic Science Division, Capt. Joe Quisenberry, Commanding Officer of the Forensic Services Laboratory for Oakland County, and Michael Bouchard, Sheriff of Oakland County, Michigan.

Read the lawsuit and see the exhibits here: http://michiganmedic...nd Exhibits.pdf

FOX17 Coverage w/video: http://fox17online.c...orting-policy/

click here for working link for fox 17 coverage
Anyone involved with falsifying evidence should be charged accordingly.
Some people think they are above the law... sad thing is they get away with it.