What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Michigan Democratic Party endorses Medical Marijuana

Devilock

On Feb 24th, at their annual state convention, the Michigan Democratic Party endorsed by unanimous acclimation a resolution stipulating,

"that licensed medical doctors should not be criminally punished for recommending the medical use of marijuana to seriously ill people, and seriously ill people should not be subject to criminal sanctions for using marijuana if the patient’s physician has told the patient that such use is likely to be beneficial."

Considering the fact that the Democratic Party controls both the State House of Representatives and the Governor's Office, this exciting development signals a major sea change in the political climate in Michigan and gives much reason to be optimistic that common sense marijuana reform will soon follow in Lansing.

The full text of the resolution may be viewed here:

Resolution Opposing Criminal Penalties For Doctors
Who Prescribe And Patients Who Use Prescribed Medical Marijuana

WHEREAS, four Michigan cities (Detroit, Ann Arbor, Ferndale, Traverse City) have now overwhelmingly passed initiatives in support of medical marijuana; and
WHEREAS, public polls of Michigan residents have shown 70-80% in favor of medical marijuana; and
WHEREAS, the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine concluded, after reviewing relevant scientific literature including dozens of works documenting therapeutic value of marijuana, that “there are some circumstances in which smoking marijuana is a legitimate medical treatment”; and
WHEREAS, a scientific survey conducted in 1990 by Harvard University researchers found that 54% of oncologists with an opinion favored the controlled medical availability of marijuana, and 44% had already suggested at least one that a patient obtain marijuana illegally; and
WHEREAS, tens of thousands of patients nationwide, people with AIDS, cancer, glaucoma, chronic pain, and multiple sclerosis have found marijuana in its natural form to be therapeutically beneficial and are already using it with their doctors’ approval; and
WHEREAS, numerous organizations have endorsed medical access to marijuana, including the AIDS Action Council, AIDS Project Rhode Island, Alaska Nurses Association, American Academy of HIV Medicine (AAHIVM), American Anthropological Association, American Bar Association, American Nurses Association, American Preventive Medicinal Association, American Public Health Association, Americans for Democratic Action, Associated Medical Schools of New York, Being Alive: People With HIV/AIDS Action Committee (San Diego), California Democratic Council, California Legislative Council for Older Americans, California Nurses Association, California Pharmacists Association, California Society of Addiction Medicine, California-Pacific Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Colorado Nurses Association, Connecticut Nurses Association, Consumer Reports magazine, Episcopal Church, Gray Panthers, Hawaii Nurses Association, Illinois Nurses Association, Iowa Democratic Party, Life Extension Foundation, Lymphoma Foundation of America, Medical Society of the State of New York, Minnesota AIDS Project, Minnesota Nurses Association, Minnesota Public Health Association, Minnesota Senior Federation, Mississippi Nurses Association, National Association of People With Aids, New Mexico Medical Society, New Mexico Nurses Association, New York County Medical Society, New York State AIDS Advisory Council, New York State Association of County Health Officials, New York State Hospice and Palliative Care Association, New York State Nurses Association, New York Statewide Senior Action Council, Inc., Ninth District Of the New York State Medical Society (Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess, and Ulster counties), Oregon Democratic Party, Progressive National Baptist Convention, Project Inform (national HIV/AIDS treatment education advocacy organization), Rhode Island Medical Society, Rhode Island Nurses Association, Test Positive Aware Network (Illinois), Texas Democratic Party, Texas League of Women Voters, Texas Nurses Association, Union of Reform Judaism (formerly Union of American Hebrew Congregations), Unitarian Universlist Association, United Church of Christ, United Methodist Church, United Nurses and Allied Professionals (Rhode Island), Wisconsin Nurses Association, and Wisconsin Public Health Association; and
WHEREAS, a national CNN/Time magazine poll published November 4, 2002, found that 80% of U. S. adults “think adults should be able to use marijuana legally for medical purposes”; and
WHEREAS, a national Gallup poll released in November, 2005 found that 78% of Americans support “making marijuana legally available for doctors to prescribe in order to reduce pain and suffering”; and
WHEREAS, numerous other national public opinion polls have found substantial support for medical marijuana, including surveys conducted by ABC News, CBS News, the Family Research Council, and the Gallup Organization between 1997 and 2006; and
WHEREAS, since 1996, medical marijuana initiatives received a majority of votes in every state in which they appeared on the ballot: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Maine, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington State; and
WHEREAS, since 2000, state legislatures in Hawaii, Vermont, and Rhode Island have enacted effective medical marijuana laws; and
WHEREAS, the May 14, 2001, and the June 6, 2005, United States Supreme Court rulings on medical marijuana dealt exclusively with federal law and do not affect the ability of individual states to allow patients to grow, possess, and use medical marijuana under state law; and
WHEREAS, the Ninth U. S. District Court of Appeals, in the case of Walters v. Conant, upheld the right of physicians to recommend medical marijuana to patients without federal government interference, and the United States Supreme Court declined to hear the federal government’s appeal of this ruling; and
WHEREAS, on September 6, 1998, after reviewing all available medical data, the Drug Enforcement Administration’s chief administrative law judge, Francis L. Young, declared that marijuana is “one of the safest therapeutically active substances known” and recommended making marijuana available by prescription; and
WHEREAS, the federal penalty for possessing one marijuana cigarette, even for medical use, is up to one year in prison, and the penalty for growing one plant is up to five years; and,
WHEREAS, the penalties are similar in most states, where medical marijuana users must live in fear of being arrested; and
WHEREAS, the present federal classification of marijuana and the resulting bureaucratic controls impede additional scientific research into marijuana’s therapeutic potential, thereby making it nearly impossible for the Food and Drug Administration to evaluate and approve marijuana through standard procedural channels; and
WHEREAS, seriously ill people should not be punished for acting in accordance with the opinion of their physicians in a bona fide attempt to relieve suffering;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that licensed medical doctors should not be criminally punished for recommending the medical use of marijuana to seriously ill people, and seriously ill people should not be subject to criminal sanctions for using marijuana if the patient’s physician has told the patient that such use is likely to be beneficial.

Passed by unanimous acclimation, Feb 24, 2007, Michigan Democratic Party Annual State Convention, Detroit, MI

Copyright © 2005-2007 Michigan NORML

Peace and *bong* :friends:

G

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

just currious .. what part of that did Norml write?

Hell Yeah! Illinois and michigan! That would be toooo sweet! Wisconsin needs to get on the banwagon as well as Minnesota! I love it! I love it! I love it!
Puff

G

It's gonna happen!!

I'm gonna live long enough to see it!!!!

Free at last free at last free at last

Yes indeed it looks like Michigan will soon be a safer place to live, I can hardly wait.

I am printing that off and taking it to my Dr. at my next appointment. See what she has to say and if she dont like it, then i will find another Dr. :wave:

Thanks for the info!

G

Chuckleberry said:
Yes indeed it looks like Michigan will soon be a safer place to live, I can hardly wait.

I am printing that off and taking it to my Dr. at my next appointment. See what she has to say and if she dont like it, then i will find another Dr. :wave:

I just e-mailed it to my Ann Arbor doctor.

he got pissed at me the last time I mentioned mmj .. funny he was prescribing vicoden and dexidrine at the same time as being pissed about pot. :bashhead: :confused:

G

The Republicans are going to lose more popular percentages if they fail to support medical marijuana.

People are dying right now for lacking this medicine.
(my personal choice: go blind or break the law)
The Republican stand, currently, is that laws against marijuana are morally correct.

It's time to show that they really are the "party of compassion."
They need to come out right now and support Angel Raich and others like her.

The democrats have already realized that 80% of the public supports mmj and have grabbed the initiative by actively supporting it.

Do the Republicans wish to stand against 80% of the US voters?
They need to wake up fast.

It seems logical that I should be able to sue the federal government for medical malpractice.
They make such piss poor doctors and interstate commerce is no excuse to screw with my body.

marx2k

Veteran
Pufftillicum said:
Hell Yeah! Illinois and michigan! That would be toooo sweet! Wisconsin needs to get on the banwagon as well as Minnesota! I love it! I love it! I love it!
Puff

I'm really REALLY surprised Wisconsin hasn't gotten onto the bandwagon yet. I would've thought it'd be in the forefront of the fight!

G

I just contacted every single Michigan senate republican via e-mail.
Here is their contact information:
http://www.senate.michigan.gov/gop/

I personized each e-mail and am calling them also.

Here is an example of what I sent them via e-mail:

I have always voted republician.
I have taught my children to vote that way.
At every family gathering, I have urged everyone to vote republician.
At every opportunity, I have always urged people to vote republician.

There is one issue that I feel very very strongly about.
This one issue can and will cause me to work for the democrats:

http://www.minorml.org/Medical Marijuana Resolution.html

Please please please read this resolution very very carefully.

Do you stand with or against the will of 80% of the voters?

Is the republician party truely the party of compassion?

If republicians are against this issue, then I can no longer stand with
them.

Where do you stand? Where does your party stand?

They are always eager to know how to attract the majority of voters.

Last edited:
G

Somewhat positive Republican response.

Somewhat positive Republican response.

This is good news .. (at least seems that way to me)

NANCY CASSIS
State Senator
District 15

My note to this Republican senator:

Please check out this move from Michigan democrats:

http://www.minorml.org/Medical Marijuana Resolution.html

This resolution is full of documentation.

Currently the republicans are not supporting 80% of the voters in Michigan.

Please turn this into a non-issue. Please support the people.

thanks

The Senators response to me:

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding medical marijuana. I appreciate the time you took to write and share your opinion.

Should legislation come before the Senate regarding marijuana use, I will review it with your comments in mind. I would recommend that you contact the bill sponsor, Representative Lemmons, and find out what you can do to help his efforts. He can be reached at 517-373-0106. His office will be able to direct you to where your assistance is most needed.

Again, thank you for writing. If I can ever be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call.

My return to the Senator:

To the Honorable NANCY CASSIS

I'm thrilled that one Republican Senator has responded so positively. The Republicans desperately need to step up to the plate on this one.

I believe that there is still time left with which Republicans can take a leadership role in this issue.

A Republican could take this issue and become the Governor.

This is about the pain and suffering of thousands of Michigan voters.
Every person with cancer.
Every person with Glycoma
Every person with MS
Every person with diabetes
Every person with Chromes disease

For many, this is the ONLY medicine that works.

For neuropathy pain (mostly brought on by diabetes) marijuana works better than morphine.

In lab mice .. this is still fresh direction for marijuana research:
The vast majority of mice with diabetes did not go blind if they were pot users. here is a link:
http://www.norml.org//index.cfm?Group_ID=7005

This is real medicine.

Every day that no medical marijuana law is passed is one more day of unnecessary suffering for thousands of Michigan voters.
Since 80% of the voters don't mind if a doctor writes a prescription for marijuana, there is no excuse left for there to be no such law.

How many Michigan voters will to go blind while we wait for Lansing to act?

As you can see .. this can become a very emotional issue very quickly.

There aren't many issues that the voters are so united on ...

The Democrats have already published their backing for medical marijuana. However .. they are not yet pushing in public.

Their mistake and your opportunity.

Most elected officials seem to be under the impression that this isn't an important issue to most people.

This impression is caused by a lack of the public contacting the officials about medical marijuana.

Please make no mistake about it: The people that need this the worst are afraid to talk to anyone about it for fear of going to jail.

The people living in the worst fear are those that are the weakest and sickest among us. The ones that have the least ability to push their point.

Multiple choice:
1) Break the law
2) go blind

Dear God, why do I have to choose?

G

Good work P.B., your taking an active role in this situation. That's excellent.

G

We need to stop being afraid to speak up.

Keeping quite makes the politicians think this isn't important to us.

Anyone can make a phone call .. jot a note .. please let them know ..

"This is MY pain."

G

This years copy of the mmj bill that was introduced last year ..

Is stuck in the very same committe that it was stuck in last year ..

No movement at all.

All talk .. no walk .. pure bullshit.

Bob Labla

I have always voted republician.
I have taught my children to vote that way.
At every family gathering, I have urged everyone to vote republician.
At every opportunity, I have always urged people to vote republician.

There is one issue that I feel very very strongly about.
This one issue can and will cause me to work for the democrats:

http://www.minorml.org/Medical Ma...Resolution.html

Please please please read this resolution very very carefully.

Do you stand with or against the will of 80% of the voters?

Is the republician party truely the party of compassion?

If republicians are against this issue, then I can no longer stand with
them.

Where do you stand? Where does your party stand?

nice letter

G

It would be very nice if the political talk would translate into action.

Instead it seems to translate into just more BS.

I sure hope those good people of Michigan can get some relief soon....There are many sick people that need help right now...RIGHT NOW..... November 2008 is too far away....

G

The Hinchey Amendment was voted down last night.

This is how Michigan elected officials voted on the Hinchey Amendment last night in Washington DC:

D - 01 - Bart Stupak of Menominee - NO ****************** Democrat that voted no
R - 02 - Peter Hoekstra of Holland - NO
R - 03 - Vernon Ehlers of Grand Rapids - NO
R - 04 - Dave Camp of Midland - NO
D - 05 - Dale Kildee of Flint - YES
R - 06 - Fred Upton St. of Joseph - NO
R - 07 - Tim Walberg of Tipton - NO
R - 08 - Mike Rogers of Brighton - NO
R - 09 - Joe Kollenberg of Bloomfield Hills - NO
R - 10 - Candice S. Miller of Harrison Township - NO
R - 11 - Thaddeus G. McCotter of Livonia - NO
D - 12 - Sander M. Levin of Royal Oak - NO ****************** Democrat that voted no
D - 13 - Carolyn C. Kilpatrick of Detroit - YES
D - 14 - John Conyers Jr. of Detroit - YES
D - 15 - John D. Dingell of Deargorn - NO ******************* Democrat that voted no

Some sort of recognition seems to be in order.

Latest posts

Latest posts