What's new

MH vs HPS for yield?

Jhhnn

Veteran
jhnnn,
i run 2 6" cooltubes at another gro and the sylv.BT56 bulb is 7" in dia. so no way does it even begin to work
@1000bulbs there have a plustrite BT37 1000w 4000k bulb
a BT37 fits nicely in a 6"cool tube and they run $15.
I use it horz. and it works fine.

Thank you for what is new information in this thread about the plusrite bulb.

I'm a little leery about buying bulbs on the basis of color temp rating, given that it doesn't account for the various spikes inherent in most MH spectrum. Two bulb of the same rating can have radically different distribution in that respect.

As I offered earlier, I have had excellent results using a Sylvania 64488-M400/U/BT28 for veg- it's he same family/ color temp as your BT56 bulb. It's also extremely compact. I figure the light output across the color spectrum is very similar.

If my scheduled rework of my grow space in late summer works out as planned, I may be able to add a vert bulb to the chamber, probably a 330w CMH. I simply refuse to use bulbs not rated for open fixtures in open configurations, however, ruling out the 64488.

the gnome

Veteran
Ive already finished 1 bloom run with the plusrites and it's solid and looks to keep its color in the horz. position unlike the big sylv. BT56 that gave turned bluer in batwing reflectors.
also there's a 1000w MH 4000K with a smaller BT size @1000.com that has a protected arc bulb rated for open use,
it runs around $49ish I think.

I'd love to see someone run the new 800+watt CMH bulbs to see what they can do.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Ive already finished 1 bloom run with the plusrites and it's solid and looks to keep its color in the horz. position unlike the big sylv. BT56 that gave turned bluer in batwing reflectors.
also there's a 1000w MH 4000K with a smaller BT size @1000.com that has a protected arc bulb rated for open use,
it runs around $49ish I think.

I'd love to see someone run the new 800+watt CMH bulbs to see what they can do.

I'd very much like to try the 860 CMH myself. I've been idly considering using this reflector when I do the rework-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Vertical-...9757256?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item20e4ee03c8

Any opinions?

It's an extra $250 (reflector + bulb) in addition to the 6" vortex fan, hardware, construction materials, electrical sub panel, contactor, breakers & whatever else I'm doing this summer, anyway. It's hard to spend, given that I'm a bit of a Craigslist cheapskate.

It's strictly a personal grow, absolutely not for sale, so there's no way to recoup expenses other than smoking the stuff.

Plus I already ordered the 2 dual arc bulbs.

Almost talked myself into it, huh? I'm making a lot of other changes, obviously, & I think I need to carry forward what's worked for me so far as much as I can. Once that's dialed in, I'll figure it out from there.

The dual arc bulbs are hype.IMO the aircooled hood is worth the money.Some might disagree.That is a Really great hood vertizontal.So great idea but IMO ditch the dual arcs.and go with USHIO metal halide bulbs.

Im using a 7k spectrum in flower and veg with SPECTACULAR results.Three lights two hps in a horizontal reflector with the metal halide USHIO in the middle in an xxxl.Im so on board for changing them all to the 7k spectrum regardless of talk about color spectrum.Gnomes bulbs are completely different then mine.Gnomes bulbs are obviously producing choice specimens.The majority of bulbs are vastly different from the two completely different spectrums me and gnome are running.Point is spectrum coloring IE 7k color temp is our eyes interpretation of the spectrum.What the plant sees and uses are completely different then your eyes.Unfortunately strain and environment play a big role.

the gnome

Veteran
I'd very much like to try the 860 CMH myself. I've been idly considering using this reflector when I do the rework-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Vertical-...9757256?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item20e4ee03c8

Any opinions?

It's an extra $250 (reflector + bulb) in addition to the 6" vortex fan, hardware, construction materials, electrical sub panel, contactor, breakers & whatever else I'm doing this summer, anyway. It's hard to spend, given that I'm a bit of a Craigslist cheapskate.

It's strictly a personal grow, absolutely not for sale, so there's no way to recoup expenses other than smoking the stuff.

Plus I already ordered the 2 dual arc bulbs.

Almost talked myself into it, huh? I'm making a lot of other changes, obviously, & I think I need to carry forward what's worked for me so far as much as I can. Once that's dialed in, I'll figure it out from there.

that hood/reflector is a take off from the luxor and OG vert hoods.
I really like that design with the way it cools between the outside shell and the reflective bubble metal.
my BT56 bulbs just would not quite fit in there tho...
but it might in that ebays links hood.

i hear ya about carying on with what works for ya.
I'm not testing anything else and I'm in my sweet spot and plan on staying there for a while:dance013:

Jhhnn

Veteran
i hear ya about carying on with what works for ya.
I'm not testing anything else and I'm in my sweet spot and plan on staying there for a while:dance013:

Indeed. I think there is a range of different sweet spots available, depending on the grower's purposes & past experience.

flora420

flora,
I'm thinking a dual bulb in the link is a dual arc bulb that has hps and mh together.
i'm not a big fan of those because in the 1000w dual arc you have a 600whps and 400wmh but you have to keep the distance from the plants for a 1000w bulbs heat,
it would seem your losing lite intensity keeping the bulb further away from optimal distance for the 400/600w.
but, if you can get it close enough with out burning the plants seems you'd be fine??

EDITED FOR:Ive never tried a dual arc, so this is just my thoughts

btw are you in england? that link to amazon was.
i really don't kno any places to get stuff there.
just look for **ANY** 4000K mh bulb for your wattage used.
it doesn't have to be a **gro** bulb.
check places like 1000bulbs.com
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I've see these posts quite bit, over and over.
it hit me 1/2 way into my mh vs hps thread
maybe it's not the 2 spectrums together that are giving the
"loving the results" reviews.

if adding Mh to the HPS gro gives better...? :shucks:
then a logical line of reasoning may lead to going with a 50/50 mix mh/hps could possibly be even better? :shucks:
which upon further thought may lead to.....maybe hps has nothing to do with it? :chin:

No im from Finland. I think i have searched the whole Google now, for 400w bulb, and no luck. Except in USA they have blenty for like few bucks, but theire E39 and i need E40 one. Maybe one or two correct one i found, but it was over 50$ each so yeah... I think im gonna give up and just buy any bulb that i can find for a decent price. Any other suggestions for me? I guess i have to go with HPS afterall. Maybe one mh and one hps (400w) would be good, i have no idea.

flora420

Nevermind, they cant ship that shit to me too. F*ck it. Sry for the spam, they should really make edit -function for this.

No im from Finland. I think i have searched the whole Google now, for 400w bulb, and no luck. Except in USA they have blenty for like few bucks, but theire E39 and i need E40 one. Maybe one or two correct one i found, but it was over 50$ each so yeah... I think im gonna give up and just buy any bulb that i can find for a decent price. Any other suggestions for me? I guess i have to go with HPS afterall. Maybe one mh and one hps (400w) would be good, i have no idea.

Check out e b a y . c o . u k, there are 400 w metal halide e40, click the http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=metal+halide&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3European union under item location on the left for eu only.
You can even check out scandinavien grow shops as i think there are some that ship to other countries. I can't pm, couse then i could link you to some, but i think you could do a better search. good luck.

HW

D

Drek

The dual arc bulbs are hype.

I don't use dual arc, I use CMH...but I honestly don't know how they can be hype.

It's an hps arc tube and mh arc tube....in one enclosure. There's nothing to hype about; it is what it is. I'm sure they work great.

(as evidenced by another poster in this thread)

I'm not the kind of dude to grow six pounds of HPS type weed to pay his mortgage. I'm small and I like very high quality.

HPS was the first shitty parkade light to be used for weed. Plants use full spectrum (dual arc, cmh, mh...3-4k) for things scientists haven't even figured out yet.

the gnome

Veteran
I don't use dual arc, I use CMH...but I honestly don't know how they can be hype.

It's an hps arc tube and mh arc tube....in one enclosure. There's nothing to hype about; it is what it is. I'm sure they work great.

(as evidenced by another poster in this thread)

I'm not the kind of dude to grow six pounds of HPS type weed to pay his mortgage. I'm small and I like very high quality.

HPS was the first shitty parkade light to be used for weed. Plants use full spectrum (dual arc, cmh, mh...3-4k) for things scientists haven't even figured out yet.

:yeahthats
the 4000K spectrum w/halides does wonders veg-n-bloom

Dual arc bulbs FROM MY PERSONAL experience suck.Not just suspicion.Currently i am running 2 hps ushio bulbs mixed with a 7k ushio halide.I have the halide in the center with the two hps on either end.THis current arrangement has netted me the best results hand down.But i would like to try all 7k spectrum.My suspicion is they will perform great.

If i havent ever used something i dont knock it.If you havent run one of these dual arc bulbs your comments are a waste of space.

D

Drek

I'm just trying to logically see how they suck...explain? If you used a separate 600w HPS arc tube and a seperate 400 watt metal halide arc tube in different glass enclosures, vs the two arc tubes in one glass enclosure, how would it be dramatically different?
The only difference is the glass.

The arc tubes and salt/plasmas in use should provide a more than
acceptable PAR spectrum...certainly better than HPS alone.

Also, would Hortilux spend big $$$ on releasing a product that has been tested but is 'all hype'....and why is there another grower in this thread that seems to be getting fine results with a dual arc?

I smell bullshit, regardless of whether you've used it or not....no offense.

Remember I have no interest in dual arc...I'm very happy with CMH, but your all hype logic doesn't make sense.

The second pic is a metal halide.The first pic is dual arc.Comparing the two bulbs i can see that the halide picks up a more FULL spectrum.If im gonna buy a dual arc bulb i would expect to see a spectrum like the second.Dual arc bulbs burn out faster and are ultimately more complicated.Either way im happy with what im doing.

Jhhnn

Veteran
ID def say that the dual arc bulbs are junk.I bought a used 600w ballast with a new dual arc bulb..After a week i was done with dual arc bulbs.My ushio halides provide the best results flowering or veg..Def not an economy bulb at 90 a pop for a 600

Dual arc bulbs FROM MY PERSONAL experience suck.Not just suspicion.Currently i am running 2 hps ushio bulbs mixed with a 7k ushio halide.I have the halide in the center with the two hps on either end.THis current arrangement has netted me the best results hand down.But i would like to try all 7k spectrum.My suspicion is they will perform great.

If i havent ever used something i dont knock it.If you havent run one of these dual arc bulbs your comments are a waste of space.

I'd offer that a week isn't exactly a fair trial, & that your blend of HPS & MH closely duplicates the relative power in a 1000w dual arc- 66%/33% vs 60%/40%.

Other than Horti Blue & CMH, dual arc bulbs are the only way to achieve broad spectrum lighting in a single bulb system. For multi bulb growers, mix & match of lower priced HPS & MH seems like a good way to go, imho, if they're not up for going straight MH.

With our 6 plant personal grow, I'll never know- 1000w is entirely adequate for our purposes. I'll likely try Gnome's recommended plusrite MH at some time in the not too distant future- his results speak for themselves.

Jhhnn

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53718&pictureid=1253269View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=53718&pictureid=1253266View Image

The second pic is a metal halide.The first pic is dual arc.Comparing the two bulbs i can see that the halide picks up a more FULL spectrum.If im gonna buy a dual arc bulb i would expect to see a spectrum like the second.Dual arc bulbs burn out faster and are ultimately more complicated.Either way im happy with what im doing.

That's not a dual arc spectrum. This is the spectrum of the 1000w plantmax dual arc-

Dual%20Arc.jpg

smog

what do you think of the hydrofarm agro sun gold metal halide lamps, in the late 90,s they were popular i think they are 3500k

Dr.Nonagon

Gnome raises an interesting point about strains. Some indoor strains may have been grown under HPS for enough generations that they're now adapted to that spectrum through grower selection. I doubt it, but it's possible, I suppose. It's tough to overcome millions of years of evolution.

Look what we did to the dog in no time. From wild man-eating wolf to Chiwawa in no time. People making rapid changes in place of the environment through human selection can have an incredible impact. Just look at the food (fruits and veg) in the grocery store. Everything has been selected for max yields and quality.