What's new

Mexico Decriminalizes Marijuana and other Drugs!

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I think Jalisco has a good point. Not faulting your reasoning, kmk, just noting that most everywhere you go, no one likes a tourist... and American tourists seem to be especially deplorable. Go to any Spring Break beach town or tourist destination in Mexico and you might notice that there isnt a lot of interest in the local culture. These are mostly places to trash, get fucked up, be stupid,,, and then leave. This new rule isnt to increase tourism, its an attempt to quell the horror of the drug lords.

Yeah, that is a good point....but they do the same thing here (the american kids lol) but they are still filling hotels, restaurants..all the things that they buy-- The stupidity is just how it is...it is like a "Fad"... lol!!
And I agree about the new Law not being to increase tourism...it is a Positive step towards reducing corruption--

I wonder if the US Congress that made marijuana illegal think it would go away. We will never die. Never quit. Never Surrender.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, that is one way to make it a popular spring break destination for colleges all across the US again!!

Have to say, this is a good move on the part of Mexico.

Not that I agree with using other drugs...but I do not think that prohibition in the concept as we know it and understand it, is effective. It is only natural to take a step the other direction....sooner or later, things have to be re-evaluated...

dank.Frank

Jalisco Kid

I just reread what I wrote it must have been before I had my coffee. But how many of you piss in public in your town,walk wherever you want with alcohol, and where you are from is being loud and obnoxious the norm? People may not believe what they hear but they do what they see. JK

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I just reread what I wrote it must have been before I had my coffee. But how many of you piss in public in your town,walk wherever you want with alcohol, and where you are from is being loud and obnoxious the norm? People may not believe what they hear but they do what they see. JK

Ppl from Vegas??:nanana:
I hear ya man...and I understand it from the local standpoint-- I grew up in a Tourist town...but it was more middle class tourist--
I also lived in the Philippines, and seen it from a "Friends" standpoint-- I loved the ppl where I lived, but also seen what they had to go through to exists--
But guess what...I still see it here, in Temecula....they are called "Partys"--
It is a different world than it was 20 years ago...for better or for worse...this is what it is--:1help::yeahthats

Yeah Just So long as you got Money you Should be able to go anywhere you want in anyone`s country Right? Wrong Guys. Sorry your Money is not the answer.
Its all about Respect. You may have a lot of money but without repsect you can keep it all to yourself and have nothing.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
I bet the US govt. put a lot of pressure on Mexico to keep the quantities down. I wonder if it is possible that the quantities will rise in the near future,at least for pot. If that were to happen then Mexico could be the Amsterdam of the Americas.
Just the fact that they legalized small quantities will put more pressure on our govt. to review it's prohibition on pot. This is great news!

Respect bass

Do you remember when canada tried to legalize weed and john walters (us drug czar) went to canada and threatened trade sanctions against canada if they were to legalize cannabis making it a readily available exportable "poison" as JW said. Funny america exports tobacco and kills around five million people worldwide ANNUALLY from tobacco. But hey, be careful of that bc bud.....:wallbash:

robbiedublu

This law has changed nothing down here. If you guys come down here with that attitude you will be in for a shock. I can guarantee you, gueros was not considered at all when this was passed. It was mainly passed because peoples kids were getting jacked,especially those going to school. Tourist will always be considered open season for cops. We see tourist as arrogant money bags. To be tolerated but not necessarily liked. Suerte JK

I agree. I doubt this will change anything for tourists.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran

I wouldn't sweat it, man. Though your criticism could be seen as being a little 'harsh', the fact of the matter is I live in a coastal town and I can't wait for summer to end so the herds will migrate back to their respective pastures.

bobblehead

Veteran
Yeah, this changes very little now... But it's a good start. I've been caught with drugs in Mexico long before this, but a small quantity, and nothing happened. Granted it wasn't police, it was a bouncer at a club... lol... He was just trying to get a bribe out of me, and in the end, I just walked away.

Drugs have always been readily available in Mexico. Cocaine is easier to come across than weed. Tourists will always be a target, but as long as you stick to your guns, and don't pay the bribe, you won't be going to jail... Assuming they don't plant something on you... lol... Mexican police are super corrupt.

I wonder what the quantity is? I read up to 5 grams of weed and 50mg of coke. Not sure. Only 1.5 hour drive. Got my passport card. TJ has got more beautiful hookers than you can shake a stick at. And they all look to be about 18yrs. All in a 4 block area. And legal. And yes i welcome tourists here in the USA as long as they are not terrorist tourists. And i respect Mexicans as much as any other people. Cant we all just get along?

J

JackTheGrower

Mexico legalized and the Financial world regroups

LOL it all boils down to money.

In this article we see where the investment possibilities may happen.

Certainly the cruse lines have a major advantage. I'd take a ship on my next vacation! They are great!

Anyone cruse to Mexico? Do you have a favorite ship?

Jack

Now that Mexico has decriminalized marijuana, LSD, heroin, methamphetamine, and cocaine in small quantities, investors are taking a closer look at companies that may benefit from the increased Mexican tourist trade. On Monday, August 24, laws were passed in Mexico to very little fanfare which eliminated crimes for possession of small amounts of these substances. Now individuals can possess up to a half-gram of cocaine and 40 grams of marijuana. The reasoning behind this change was that crackdowns didn't seem to reduce the violence and deaths from the war on drugs.

Back in January of this year, we featured an article about all the various publicly traded companies that are involved in the marketing of marijuana or its cannabinoid-based pharmaceutical products. Since that time, a couple of new publicly traded stocks have appeared on the horizon with marijuana or cannabis in their name. These may be interesting yet speculative very low cap plays if California and other states change their laws to legalize or decriminalize marijuana.

One stock sector worth checking out might be the Mexico based companies. An example would be Fomento Economico Mexicano, S.A.B de C.V (FMX), also known as FEMSA, which is the largest beverage company in Mexico, and for that matter, all of Latin America. They produce many popular beers including Carta Blanca, Tecate, Tecate Light, Superior, Sol, Dos Equis Lager, and Dos Equis Ambar.

A more general way to play the Mexico stock market is through an ETF, iShares MSCI Mexico Investable Market Index Fund (EWW). There are also a couple of closed end funds such as the Mexico Fund, Inc. (MXF) and the Mexico Equity & Income Fund Inc. (MXE).

However, the stock play from this change would probably be in the travel industry, stocks that might take advantage of the "Spring Break" effect. For example, there are a couple of cruise lines with trips to Mexico that include Carnival Corp. (CCL) and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL). The Mexican airline industry might benefit also, especially if fuel prices soften, since there seems to be recovery taking place from the swine flu outbreak. A couple companies in that sector include Grupo Aeroportuario del Centro Norte S.A. de C.V. (OMAB) and Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico (PAC).

It will be interesting to see how this significant change in Mexico's laws will affect travel and the economy south of the border.

Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.

J

JackTheGrower

Now it is the USA's turn to legalize.

Yeah it's driving me crazy .. Many will sign but fewer than one in 100 will collect signatures!

So Everyone! Volunteer! How can I say this simply.. No One is going to do it for us!

Yes Bulldog11 it's time..

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
That article is nonsense. First of all, it's 5 g of mj, NOT 40, that you can possess legally now. And growing/selling it is still illegal. So this change will have little or no impact on the Mexican economy or tourist trade. It will however have an impact on the police's priorities and how many non-violent drug offenders go to jail. But I wouldn't go changing my investment portfolio based on this change in law.

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Hmm, going through my options on places to decompress this winter...

Would rather not smoke mexi-schwag either, wonder of saftey in airports

varTy

GooGled "mexico drug legalization",and found this beauty!

GooGled "mexico drug legalization",and found this beauty!

i cant believe sum shit!!

Mexico's new drug law a 'tragic surrender'

WASHINGTON (BP)--A new law in Mexico decriminalizing small amounts of marijuana and other narcotics -- including cocaine and heroin -– will inflict "a serious setback" to the battle against drugs in the United States, a Southern Baptist policy expert has predicted.

"We now have an entire country on our southern border that is a haven for drug abuse," Barrett Duke, vice president for public policy and research for the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, noted in an Aug. 29 blog.

"Our southwestern states will suffer first from this tragic surrender as more drug-addicted people come across the border. Then the rest of the country will feel it as they move inland," Duke wrote.

"Inspections at the border will become more difficult as well, as more people attempt to cross into the country with their 'legal' drug amounts. You can be sure that U.S. relations with Mexico are going to be more strained as a result of this decision. …

"You can also expect Mexico's decision to lead to increased calls for decriminalization of drugs in the U.S.," Duke predicted, citing an Aug. 27 decision by a marijuana policy panel in Denver to urge the county court's presiding judge to adopt a $1 fine for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. "Such actions will be more common as our cities feel the added weight of Mexico's drug problem spilling over the border," Duke wrote.

Under Mexico's new drug decriminalization law, which went into effect Aug. 20, possession of 5 grams of marijuana is legal, as is half a gram of cocaine, 40 milligrams of meth (methamphetamine) and 50 milligrams of heroin, the Associated Press reported. Cocaine and LSD also would be legal in small amounts.

Selling such narcotics, possessing larger amounts of such drugs or using them in public remain illegal, the AP noted.

The new law, Mexico Attorney General Eduardo Medina-Mora told a news conference, will free up law enforcement officials to focus on major drug traffickers, the AP reported.

Duke, however, pointed to "a superb editorial" in Investor's Business Daily critical of Mexico's drug decriminalization. Duke noted that the IBD editorial makes "five irrefutable arguments":

"1. Consumption will increase.

"2. Addiction will increase.

"3. Treatment costs for addicts will increase.

"4. Drug traffickers will profit.

"5. The law-abiding population will be demoralized."

The Investor's Business Daily editorial predicted that "new customers mean new cash for [Mexico's] already powerful cartels. To these organized crime groups, it means money to buy guns or to bribe officials. All of this lowers their cost of doing business, and raises it for the state to fight them. [The cartels will] grow more powerful -- not less."

The IBD editorial singled out Venezuela and Ecuador as the "worst" of nations "with little will to fight cartels," stemming in large measure from leaders "with ties to drug traffickers like Colombia's FARC," which controls much of the nation's embattled cocaine trade. Argentina and Bolivia, IBD added, "still see the drug war as a gringo war and are indifferent to their own responsibilities even as crime and addiction grow." The IBD editorial also said: "Think tanks financed by distant billionaire George Soros have worked to make the idea of decriminalization trendy among the smart set."

However, the editorial noted that Colombian President Alvaro Uribe is turning the tide against Colombia's traffickers and has "dealt hard blows to Marxist narcoterrorists -- all from a position that looked hopeless. Unlike less successful leaders, he's moving harder against legalization because he knows he can win."

Mexico President Felipe Calderon, in embracing drug decriminalization, has waved a "white flag [that] throws away the sacrifices courageous Mexicans have already made, in blood and treasure, to crush these lawless organizations," IBD wrote. "Mexicans can't be blamed for wondering what they're fighting for if others can use drugs in front of their faces as they fight. Morale will plummet."

More than 10,000 Mexicans have been killed in the country's fight against drug cartels in recent years, including 1,000 troops, even while the nation's drug addiction rate has soared 30 percent over the last five years, according to IBD.

The National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws' deputy director, Paul Armentano, called the new Mexico law "a small step in the right direction" but complained that private and commercial production of marijuana and possession of larger amounts of marijuana remain criminal offenses. Armentano also complained that "marijuana will continue to be classified as contraband (and therefore seized by police), and the user will be strongly urged to seek drug treatment (or coerced to do so if it is one's third 'offense.')"

Duke, of the Southern Baptist ethics agency, frequently has countered NORML's push for marijuana legalization.

In a Baptist Press column in April, Duke noted that the push for legalizing marijuana "must be tempered by personal and social responsibility. Decriminalization of marijuana will encourage destructive behavior in users and affect the entire nation. When users no longer fear arrest, they will have marijuana more often and use it more often. Inebriation is only part of the problem. Marijuana users have higher risks of numerous medical problems, including cancer, psychosis, strokes, respiratory damage and heart attacks. They increase these risks with increased use. Additionally, increased use will lead to more personal and family problems. Work productivity will decrease as will employability. Such outcomes will put additional pressure on families, communities, businesses, health services and law enforcement."

Addressing the push for marijuana legalization for medical purposes, Duke wrote that "marijuana's pain-relieving ingredient has been available by prescription for years. The use of marijuana as a means to self-medicate one's mental health is also not justifiable. People dealing with depression need the regular care of a trained professional. If they require drugs, there are plenty of proven mood-altering ones available that do not introduce as many potential and likely problems as marijuana. Smoking marijuana medicinally threatens to make bad situations worse for many users. Marijuana introduces multiple toxic chemicals into the systems of people whose bodies are already weakened from their ailments. Not only might these toxic chemicals interfere with the healing process, but users risk developing additional [physical and mental health] problems."

i cant even put into words how dumb this is.. anyone wanna try?

Latest posts

Latest posts