What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Megayields re-birth - Pheonix rising

theJointedOne

Veteran
lots of good herb for sale there but not much personal space to grow it in for the average younger person . hurts having people pass you around and then forget about you the next day and that seems to be the way they treat most growers and people ime.

i hear ya

grow nerd

Veteran
Fuck I just wasted the last 20-30 minutes on this thread.

Can someone at least explain to me what hedging out means, just so I can at least "get my money back" so to speak? And more importantly, why it's detrimental to yield as opposed to the alternative, which is ____???

I'd just give em as much room as possible.
Are you talking about room above-ground for the canopy to spread out, or root space?

Last edited:

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
Spacing your plants far enough apart so that all sides get sun, you optimize yield. Planted too close together can create a 'hedge', where you pull mainly tops and a lot of mediocre buds from the grown together parts.

grow nerd

Veteran
Spacing your plants far enough apart so that all sides get sun, you optimize yield. Planted too close together can create a 'hedge', where you pull mainly tops and a lot of mediocre buds from the grown together parts.

fisher15, thanks for the super quick response.

Hedge style can yield less but it gives you more larger nugs and a canopy that is alot easier to trellis and support . easier on the grower to just go in one big circle then to have to run in a bunch of tiny ones all day.

Is it just me or is Blue Berry talking about a something else for "hedge style"? Seems you (fisher15) are talking about accidentally planting too close together and creating too much shade from the other plants. Or does this also apply to plants that aren't trellised or otherwise not properly spaced out branches to get enough light on most sides? Meaning "hedging out" can happen from:

• Multiple plants that are not spaced far apart from each other, shading each other
  • Plants that weren't trained properly to "open them up"?

Normally, I would consider this thread-jacking, but there isn't much of a thread to jack here, so I feel like I'm actually thread-saving.

GanjaRebelSeeds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
fisher15, thanks for the super quick response.

Is it just me or is Blue Berry talking about a something else for "hedge style"? Seems you (fisher15) are talking about accidentally planting too close together and creating too much shade from the other plants. Or does this also apply to plants that aren't trellised or otherwise not properly spaced out branches to get enough light on most sides? Meaning "hedging out" can happen from:

• Multiple plants that are not spaced far apart from each other, shading each other
  • Plants that weren't trained properly to "open them up"?

Normally, I would consider this thread-jacking, but there isn't much of a thread to jack here, so I feel like I'm actually thread-saving.

When plants hedge out they grow into each other on two sides, thats a lot less area for flowers to develop and requires a little extra care keep it cleaned up. As in you would rather have a sphere shaped plant with buds in every direction to maximize yield.

grow nerd

Veteran
I understand; but wouldn't it be easily possible to hedge out within a single plant as well, if allowed to grow "au naturale" without any real maintenance or training?

I thought about maybe pruning inside and shifting more weight to the outer surface of the spherical plant's canopy and keeping the center core (where intense/direct light doesn't penetrate) pruned down stem-only, somewhat of a lollipop style per-branch. Similar to what would be done on indoor plants. But somewhere Tom Hill's "growing large plants outdoors" thread, he recommended against it, something about wind damage...

grow nerd

Veteran
the biggest plants ive seen were always as wide, or wider, than they were tall..

Will a cannabis plant keep growing taller and taller if kept in vegetative stage long enough, staked/supported and provided adequate root space and food? At what point does it genetically just can't take the height anymore? I saw an Urban Grower video some years back that showed some Canadian patient growing 20+ foot tall plants indoors. Looked quite inefficient IMO in terms of veg time and grams/watt etc, but if you're limited in plant count, I guess that would be one way to get around the issue, as also demonstrated in Tom's big plans thread.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Will a cannabis plant keep growing taller and taller if kept in vegetative stage long enough, staked/supported and provided adequate root space and food? At what point does it genetically just can't take the height anymore? I saw an Urban Grower video some years back that showed some Canadian patient growing 20+ foot tall plants indoors. Looked quite inefficient IMO in terms of veg time and grams/watt etc, but if you're limited in plant count, I guess that would be one way to get around the issue, as also demonstrated in Tom's big plans thread.

I hope to one day be able to test this theory in a large bamboo framed gh, someday lol

but imho, a short answer to your question; it's all genetic, and the genes are the limiting factor.

grow nerd

Veteran
Absolutely on genetics, as I understand being a tall plant requires quite a "pumping" capacity and higher pressures to get the sap / nutrients to the top, such as with tall Redwood, Sequoia, etc. Just curious what the actual limit is for some of the taller strains (likely sativas).

On another note... everyone is waiting for pictures, so here's a status update on "Pheonix" [sic]:

ashes.jpg

Does not appear that he has risen yet.