What's new

Meeting, befriending, and hanging with other growers

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only grower I have any interaction with is my brother. I give him seeds and taught him to grow indoors. He's the exception. I make it a point of steering clear of other growers, especially cash croppers. You never know who is hot, and people that brag on their gardens are trouble waiting to happen. I know several folks that grow, and they have no idea I do. If someone can't keep quiet about their own business, I guarantee they can't keep quiet about yours.

yeah, what he said.......

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lol dude you need to improve your trimming speeds clearly!! If you cannot do 4-5lbs by yourself in 2 days work max something is very wrong or you must have the most leafy strain on the planet.

Just sayin...
Blazing

Well "dude"... I have arthritis so I do the best I can, I'm just glad I have good friends to help me.

And I would put my dank Purple Skunk and Tangerine Haze up against anyone's.

nappybutbald

My pops always use to say if you going to do some dirt do it by yourself that way if you get caught you told on your own self and you never have to wonder who told.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Well "dude"... I have arthritis so I do the best I can, I'm just glad I have good friends to help me.

I was looking at that Easy-Trim Satellite ($9000!!!!) and I was thinking that it would be relatively easy to build something like this yourself. When I have the cash to experiment, I may just take a brand new electric lawn mower (~$150) and build my own.

I've seen a guy on the internet who built one out of a dremel, but the guy doesn't seem to be all that concerned about safety, which is something (besides quality) that seems rather important to me.

Here it is:
[youtubeif]jn2H1ERRUsY[/youtubeif]

Here's another somebody made with an old-school box fan:

[youtubeif]ouojXIZUGRE[/youtubeif]

Both designs are rather simplistic and are NOT the way I'd do it myself, but I am having trouble understanding what makes the Satellite worth $9000. It is hella cool. I'll give them that. If they wanna take the MP3 player off of it and sell it for $2000, I might think it was worth it. But I still say that it should be relatively easy to make one yourself if you have a little free time to tinker.

smokefrogg

Veteran
there was a time when i was tempted to meet up with other california legal growers, w***tracker would have meetups and such and some dispensaries would do this too, it sounded fun, but once i begun growing my own i just started getting paranoid about it and wound up opting out, never going to one of the meet n greet things. honestly i feel like it would be insane at this point to ever go to one of those

there are a few of us that know about each other, but i'd prefer not to extend that knowledge onto anyone else, just seems much safer in the end for everyone to keep my lips shut about it

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
I am in a med state. I purposely avoid most other growers and would never show them my grow. Most of them are still shady and at risk. That being said, there are a couple that I know and trust and we could not get by without each other. Someone to talk shop with and get ideas. We have shared much with each other, including equipment. There are very few secrets between us and we are direct competition. We have even sent each others employees over to train with the other. (Only certain employees btw...). There is alot of trust, and I wouldn't have it any other way...

R

rick shaw

To the OP,thats what this site is all about. We can help each other,share tips,warnings and stories,in total anonymity and safety.

I've been to hydro expos,cannabis expos,lined up for clones at Bluesky in Oakland and plenty of concerts.At these events you couldn't swing a cat without hitting a grower.

Sometimes info is exchanged. Sometimes it becomes a pissing contest.

What I've come to notice is that the best growers keep a 'Need to Know' basis,the kids and the fools rattle their mouth so much they run out of things to say,then they start making crap up.

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
Its not advisable generally but I'd consider special cases. " Like if they were small-scale, intelligent and had an extremely stable and mellow lifestyle."

I don't know anybody irl who would come close to qualifying. On IC, right now theres only one nearby (I think) person who I'd consider.

Of course it would be downtown, and I would travel to the location on the light rail (I've watched The French Connection too many times not to), not carry ID on me, use an alias, and be paranoid as fuck. Probably weird them the fuck out lol.

the other people i know that grow are known for this very reason right here: " Like if they were small-scale, intelligent and had an extremely stable and mellow lifestyle."

very few times do i find a quote that matches exactly and i mean EXACTLY what im talkin about, not to mention the type of cat i am!

matter of fact if your not one of these types of people then you really cant be my friend

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To the OP,thats what this site is all about. We can help each other,share tips,warnings and stories,in total anonymity and safety.

I've been to hydro expos,cannabis expos,lined up for clones at Bluesky in Oakland and plenty of concerts.At these events you couldn't swig a cat without hitting a grower.

Sometimes info is exchanged. Sometimes it becomes a pissing contest.

What I've come to notice is that the best growers keep a 'Need to Know' basis,the kids and the fools rattle their mouth so much they run out of things to say,then they start making crap up.

Rick - your maturity and experience once again show themselves...truer words were never spoken.

Iraganji

I've been growing over two decades. In the early days, I was a young man and my wife knew and was supportive. I did eventually meet and befriend another grower. One day, the wife became an ex-wife and I knew what I needed to do.

These days, I run a tighter ship. I have the wisdom of my age to help me. There is no meeting other growers period. I have one grow buddy whom I grew up with and has stood the test of time. I don't recommend people have grow friends, but I do believe in exceptions in rare cases like mine. You know when you have this kind of friend. If you aren't sure, you don't.

The laws are what they are, and so longevity and survival come before sharing closet skeletons with new friends. Under better and just laws, I'd be typing something else here.

Stay safe folks. :)

a friend once posted this on another grow forum.. pretty basic advice but great advice that some people tend to overlook or under-value. A little long but worth the read

I have TONS of advice, some of which you probably already know, But advice in this industry needs to be repeated and pounded in your head all the time so you don't get complacent.

Don't tell your friends PERIOD! if you have a g/f, ditch the bitch, and stay single. a lot of growers have been busted cause a relationship has gone sour, I've had a few close calls in my early days and learned the hard way. Trust no one, but you will need a "Broker" and even then, your broker only needs to know you have a "supply connection" and keep it that way.

Only keep a small circle of friends, and if they blaze, don't pull out large amounts (Jar Queens) keep it small and say hey, this is what i scored from a friend blah blah blah.... Don't hook up your friends, or they will become suspicious.

back to girlfriends, they cannot be trusted (sorry ladies) they are vindictive and evil, and if they have kids and get in trouble because of their own stupidity, guess who they are gonna rat out so they can stay free with their kids?....the maternal instinct will fuck you every time..PERIOD! I know some women are gonna hate on me, but i don't care. it's just a bloody fact. to stay safe and off the radar you have to stay single, and only do FWB's and keep them at bay. don't get emotionally weak and let them in your private little. world. once you tell a girl, she will in turn confide that to a couple of her closest g/f's and so on and so forth until it lands in the ear of some self rightous bitch your g/f pissed off. girls just can't keep shit to themselves...they always have to tell some secret to another girl...it's genetics period!

Blend in with your neighbors, be polite and friendly at all times, keep your home/lawn nice and clean at all times. but don't get close to them, lead the double life, it's hard at times, but necessary to stay off the radar if you want to remain free.

drive a non-descript car, nothing fancy or flashy, free of stickers that show any type of affiliation with any type groups, this includes showing your love for your favorite bands. if you spend money on a lot of toys, ie boats, motorcycles, jet skis, etc, keep them at a storage facility. too many toys in the drive way will make people wonder, and also attracts the criminal element, which can give you a really bad day if the criminal element wants to hit your place and they get caught...then you get caught...

Dress and blend in with everyone else, try not to dress gangsta style. blend in and look respectable.

Don't turn up your car stereo and go "bumping" down the street. think before you act, will this draw attention to myself if I do this or that? think shit thru before doing it.

Don't drink and drive.

Have a real lawyer on retainer (at least 10K, 40-50k should cover a full trail) cause if you get popped, LE will confiscate all your $$$ leaving you with a public pretender.

keep your grows under 5k watts. pay all your bills promptly and on time.

keep a part time job to show a source of income, and love your job.

if you have a lot of traffic to your home. cut it down.

spend the dollars to keep odor issues in check at all times.

understand you will have to make some "significant sacrafices" in your life and lifestyle if you want to do this as a living. it's a lonely life, but at least it's a life that gives you some freedoms, especailly in these economic times

thats just some shit off the top of my head at the moment.

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Growing has made my life better.
I would never participate in anything that so negatively affected my life and relationships with others as the above.
It sounds like you propose to build your own jail cell....

"Freeeedddoooooommmmm!" - Braveheart

Max Headroom

Veteran
i'm quite open about my growing. but that's because i've never sold a gram in my life and only grow for myself. if i were selling, it would be a totally different story.

but the reason i tell (and show) people my grow is so that they get motivated to start growing their own weed. i'm convinced that "growing for yourself and not for profit" is the road to legalization, so i want to turn as many people as possible onto personal grows.

since i don't sell, the risk to me is very small. the cops here don't give a shit about 1 m²/400 W grows.

i wish i knew some other growers so we could be swapping jars of bud and increase the number of strains we have to smoke :D

B

BlazingSaddles

Oh sorry friend i did not mean to offend i did not realise you had arthritis thats a completely different story.

a friend once posted this on another grow forum.. pretty basic advice but great advice that some people tend to overlook or under-value. A little long but worth the read

I have TONS of advice, some of which you probably already know, But advice in this industry needs to be repeated and pounded in your head all the time so you don't get complacent.

Don't tell your friends PERIOD! if you have a g/f, ditch the bitch, and stay single. a lot of growers have been busted cause a relationship has gone sour, I've had a few close calls in my early days and learned the hard way. Trust no one, but you will need a "Broker" and even then, your broker only needs to know you have a "supply connection" and keep it that way.

Only keep a small circle of friends, and if they blaze, don't pull out large amounts (Jar Queens) keep it small and say hey, this is what i scored from a friend blah blah blah.... Don't hook up your friends, or they will become suspicious.

back to girlfriends, they cannot be trusted (sorry ladies) they are vindictive and evil, and if they have kids and get in trouble because of their own stupidity, guess who they are gonna rat out so they can stay free with their kids?....the maternal instinct will fuck you every time..PERIOD! I know some women are gonna hate on me, but i don't care. it's just a bloody fact. to stay safe and off the radar you have to stay single, and only do FWB's and keep them at bay. don't get emotionally weak and let them in your private little. world. once you tell a girl, she will in turn confide that to a couple of her closest g/f's and so on and so forth until it lands in the ear of some self rightous bitch your g/f pissed off. girls just can't keep shit to themselves...they always have to tell some secret to another girl...it's genetics period!

Blend in with your neighbors, be polite and friendly at all times, keep your home/lawn nice and clean at all times. but don't get close to them, lead the double life, it's hard at times, but necessary to stay off the radar if you want to remain free.

drive a non-descript car, nothing fancy or flashy, free of stickers that show any type of affiliation with any type groups, this includes showing your love for your favorite bands. if you spend money on a lot of toys, ie boats, motorcycles, jet skis, etc, keep them at a storage facility. too many toys in the drive way will make people wonder, and also attracts the criminal element, which can give you a really bad day if the criminal element wants to hit your place and they get caught...then you get caught...

Dress and blend in with everyone else, try not to dress gangsta style. blend in and look respectable.

Don't turn up your car stereo and go "bumping" down the street. think before you act, will this draw attention to myself if I do this or that? think shit thru before doing it.

Don't drink and drive.

Have a real lawyer on retainer (at least 10K, 40-50k should cover a full trail) cause if you get popped, LE will confiscate all your $$$ leaving you with a public pretender.

keep your grows under 5k watts. pay all your bills promptly and on time.

keep a part time job to show a source of income, and love your job.

if you have a lot of traffic to your home. cut it down.

spend the dollars to keep odor issues in check at all times.

understand you will have to make some "significant sacrafices" in your life and lifestyle if you want to do this as a living. it's a lonely life, but at least it's a life that gives you some freedoms, especailly in these economic times

thats just some shit off the top of my head at the moment.

And of course, we ladies have to watch for men who do the exact same thing you describe women of doing as well. I don't hate you at all. Unfortunately, you sound bitter. :(

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
And of course, we ladies have to watch for men who do the exact same thing you describe women of doing as well. I don't hate you at all. Unfortunately, you sound bitter. :(

Thing is the ratio of what was described in that post normally is 99 to 1.

99 females, 1 male that is.
;)