What's new

MEDMAKER420's 2012 LED Grow Show - ICMAG Grow Diary

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
How's it going fellow LED Growers. I finally had the time to post up my ICMAG Grow Diary which you can follow along with at:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=244897

I am running 4 different veg lights currently and have 6 flower lights headed my way. They are all different spectrums so who knows what will happen

:laughing:

There is so much led grow light testing needed to be done and I hope you all subscribe and chime in from time to time with words of encouragement and advice!

medmaker420

Veteran
I posted up a ton of videos and updates in my grow thread ( in my sig )

- week 2 veg update video - shows some yellowing which I am fixing with an up pot and their first drink

I can't wait to get the girls up to size to start the flowering side of the tests as that is where all eye will be.

medmaker420

Veteran
Posted more updates in my grow journal thread. Feel free to post a comment in my grow journal thread ( linked to from the first post in this thread ) and get your screen name mentioned during my next youtube video grow update.

medmaker420

Veteran
How are you liking lights 1 & 2? I really want to buy a set of these. Any chance you could get a kill-a-watt reading on them?

I am LOVING light #1 and #2 compared to #3 and #4 personally. Out of the #1 and #2 its still a toss up but one thing I will be talking with growblu about is testing different led angles as that too can be customized and I feel having 30's 60's 90's and even 120's in certain instances during growth could be beneficial.

I will be getting kill a watt readings from all 4 veg lights and the 6 flowering lights when they arrive. I also want to do watt tests with the fans disconnected as well so I can get a REAL light wattage amount for the different led panels.

Just remember that both light 1 and 2 are different veg spectrums as are light #3 and #4 and not the "stock" units and spectrum you would be getting from the manufacturer but once the testing is done growblu will then buy and then stock their custom panels here in the states.

These 4 are being tested not only to find out which manufacturers growblu should order from but also which spectrums that they will be selling for the veg, flower, full spectrum and micro panels.

Yea I'd be ordering these straight from China so I wouldn't have the same spectrum as what you and GrowBlu have got going on. The "default" spectrum includes lots of deep reds (660nm) so it should be good for flowering.

From what I understand it is desirable to have a wider lens angle (like 120*) during veg because the plants don't need as intense of light, but in flower it's best to have either a 60* or a 90* lens and adjust the height as necessary to maintain high light intensity. You know what would be interesting? Mixing LED angles... I wonder what effect that would have on PAR rating and light distribution?

Great idea about disconnecting the fans before taking a reading as well!

Man I really want to get these now! Thank you for the consistant updates, hopefully you keep this up because it will give me a really good idea if I want to get these lights or not. What spectrums are the flowering lights they're giving you?

medmaker420

Veteran
On the flowering spectrums, I am uncertain but I do know they are 6 different spectrums just like these 4 veg lights are all unique spectrums as well. They are trying to pinpoint which combination will be best for marijuana growth overall as far as veg and flower goes.

I asked not to be told the spectrums each light had so my grows wouldn't be biased in any way as I have done my own led research over the years and feel that I know what works best BUT didn't want my "opinion" to sway the results and just let the plants do the talking.

In flower I will be testing more manufacturers than the two I currently am however so there might be lights that perform and work BETTER than light #1 and #2 so that will be a blast for everyone to checkout as well.

I will also be doing vertical grow tests as well as led light mover grow tests among a few other fun ones using ir/uv so by all means continue to follow along.

Later I want to do an all blue flower tent just to see what happens using the veg lights. This test will be done after all the tests they want me to do however because it is something that I want to test just to see what would happen without ANY red and see what the plants do.

On the mixing light angles, you will see me writing about that plenty in different led threads here and totally agree. Different angles for different stages of growth as well as where they are placed in the panels themselves would be very important to optimize.

Can't wait to check out your grow show once you get the leds so please pm me the link so I can follow along as well.

vukman

Veteran
If you really want to be blown away, check out 'plamsa sulphur' lights!! LOL...now there is some serious lumens!!

WishMeLuck

If you really want to be blown away, check out 'plamsa sulphur' lights!! LOL...now there is some serious lumens!!

Lumens is for humans eye, right?!

Sup Bro? No update, no answer, no opinions?! I don't want to hurt your feelings about asking from HGL products. Are you associated with HGL?! :D

vukman

Veteran
I tried to send PM's but your inbox was full....resend message and then empty box please...sorry..and no,, not associated with anyone.........

medmaker420

Veteran
New 3rd week video updates being posted in my grow journal page.

One video uploaded showing light #1 and light #2

and currently still awaiting the second video which shows #3 and #4 to upload to youtube.

Check them out and feel free to post a comment either on the youtube channel, video page OR in my grow journal which you can find in my signature BELOW

medmaker420

Veteran
added some more pics in my grow diary thread which you can locate a link to in my signature file below. I added some led grow pics as well as a germination video where I germinate Field Marshall Seeds two strains Lady Berry Kush and Kushy Haze. Can't wait to see how those two strains and the many others that I am growing end up doing while growing 100% under LEDs from start to finish.

medmaker420

Veteran
Just got one of the concept BLU LED flowering lights today. Check it out:
attachment.php

Follow along and see how this flower panel and many others do by going to my grow journal which is linked to in my signature file.

medmaker420

Veteran
Added week 4 growth updates in my grow diary for anyone following along.

L3 and L4 are doing better than when they first started so I am still unsure of the overall veg growth winners as I have 2 other cycles following the first 4 strains that went in and they are doing much better and were from seed as well SO who knows what my final opinions are on the #3 and #4 or also known as L3 and L4 led veg lights.

I can't wait to test that style and the rest in flower though because that I think is what will separate the different types from each other spectrum wise and can't wait to see the different cab temps between them all.

I should be getting a kill a watt meter or two by the time all the lights come in so I will get all the kill a watt readings for these concept spectrum lights for those interested as well as some other meter readings.

Oh, I will also be uploading the video of me fixing L4 by replacing that faulty driver which will be uploaded to the youtube channel among other videos for those interested in seeing a led driver being removed and then a replacement put in and then tested.

de145

I also want to do watt tests with the fans disconnected as well so I can get a REAL light wattage amount for the different led panels.

Ummm...not a good idea if one of those lights is the Byssen one I have because it varies it's power output dynamically based on heat so if you disconnect the fans and it gets hot the power will be lowered automatically to drive the led's and you'll get a *much* lower reading. My light seems to be full power at 21c or lower and at least 20 watts lower consumption if the heat goes above that due to auto limiting.

It might work if you put the light outside to cool down in the winter on a sub room temperature day and then very quickly tested them immediately upon power up.

medmaker420

Veteran
Ummm...not a good idea if one of those lights is the Byssen one I have because it varies it's power output dynamically based on heat so if you disconnect the fans and it gets hot the power will be lowered automatically to drive the led's and you'll get a *much* lower reading. My light seems to be full power at 21c or lower and at least 20 watts lower consumption if the heat goes above that due to auto limiting.

It might work if you put the light outside to cool down in the winter on a sub room temperature day and then very quickly tested them immediately upon power up.

Yeah I have decided against that test as some of these other lights aren't as modular but thank you for bringing that up about heat variable output. That would have put out way off readings for sure.

I believe growblu is going to be doing the watt testing on all the panels first but I will once I snag up some kill a watt testers so I can test the lights I currently have.

I would love to test without fans but among many reasons not to (like what you brought up) it is best to just get its watts as it sits

medmaker420

Veteran
New Video Uploaded for those following along and you can get there by going to the grow journal linked to in my signature.

I also posted the next updates coming

medmaker420

Veteran
Check out the latest led grow light

Check out the latest led grow light

Runs pretty quiet but check my grow journal page for the updated video to hear it run, turn on and all that.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bluleds.jpg
    bluleds.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 9

vukman

Veteran
you can always do the old 'guesstimation method..take the total watts and then guess at how much the fans are drawing..;)....very scientific....I found it to be anyway.. but what do I know, I'm a hockey lovin' Canuck...ROFL..

Went to the fights and a hockey game broke out..:D

Latest posts

Latest posts