What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Medical cannabis test results

RaNgEr RiCk

rick, i hate to be a hater... but rick you may consider sending out samples of the same runs to an LC lab. your average bud does not have nearly that much cbd. one of the issues with analyzing cbd, especially with GC, is that there are many other cannabinoids and terpenoids that have very similar molecular weights and polarities and thus on the chromatogram there can be a bunch of molecules co-eluting to look like one substantial peak or several small peaks sloppily lumped together to one broad multi-peaked mass. by no means am i trying to question the accuracy of the thc or the terpenoid values, but i'm damn sure those cbd values are not accurate. if you are you lucky enough to live somewhere with other labs i would patronize one of them just for shits and giggles, especially if they use LC.

Thank you for the input. There are actually at least 1 or 2 more labs that we can have meds tested that I am aware of. As with everything in the medical world you should always have a second opinion.

RaNgEr RiCk

And the cathinone? Cross-contamination with some khat trees or someone in the lab on bath salts LOL No, that has me curious as hell haha I've never heard of it and to consider we are smoking the plant.. Is that the reason for speedy hazes? Is it a different chemical with the same name? Wierd..

So cool that you can just go and get your stuff tested.. Must be such a pleasure to see exactly what is happening in your plants and strains..

All great questions. Here is some info about cathinone.

http://www.neurosoup.com/cathinone.htm

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/justice/substituted-cathinones-enactments.aspx

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
So they really had cathinone in them..? That is fascinating but gets my skeptic alarm going.. I know the stuff, I'm no khat fiend myself but have 2 different varieties of Catha Edulis going and know the plant and the family of chemicals/chemistry quite well. But occuring in weed, why have we never heard of this before? This strikes me as really newsworthy, I mean marijuana producing stimulants... scheduled ones too.. Still seems to unusual to me and to have it in a few samples and not arouse the labs curiousity also is strange.

Am I the only one that thinks it is wierd? Has ganja got a even more complex chemical nature than we thought, or has the lab got a tweaker preparing the lab samples or testing strange plants brought over by Somali Immigrants on the side ie. sample contamination etc?

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Isn't 'Bath Salts' that drug that made a man cut off someones head and start eating his flesh on a bus trip? I sure hope that drug isn't in cannabis LOL. I could have it wrong but it sure seems this way from the second link added, if pertaining to the 'Bath Salt' as the drug I am think about - but I am sure i'm wrong.

TGT

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
"Bath salts" is/was Mephedrone, bit nasty, speedy cousin of Cathinone.. "Bath Salts" became nowadays any mixture of related things as they got banned. I'd be wary of anything labelled 'bath salts' haha I prefer mine MEK/Eth/h20 Re'x and from a bit friendlier side of the family LOL 3,4 on the benzene ring if ya know what I mean, knowing exactly you are eating is quite important haha anyway back to topic.. Would love to know what the knowledgeable old scientist heads amongst us think about this 'terpene' occuring in cannabis? Is it even a terpene as the LAB reports say? This has my curiosity for sure.. I mean a chem of the speed family in dope and some strains are described to be 'speedy' in effect and no one noticed this coincidence..Hmm doesn't ring right with me, is it a spelling error or ?

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
rick, i hate to be a hater... but rick you may consider sending out samples of the same runs to an LC lab. your average bud does not have nearly that much cbd. one of the issues with analyzing cbd, especially with GC, is that there are many other cannabinoids and terpenoids that have very similar molecular weights and polarities and thus on the chromatogram there can be a bunch of molecules co-eluting to look like one substantial peak or several small peaks sloppily lumped together to one broad multi-peaked mass. by no means am i trying to question the accuracy of the thc or the terpenoid values, but i'm damn sure those cbd values are not accurate. if you are you lucky enough to live somewhere with other labs i would patronize one of them just for shits and giggles, especially if they use LC.

very wise words my friend, always good to get a second opinion maybe even a third to check accuracy.

Harpo

cathinone?

cathinone?

Can cathinone be ingested by being smoked or does burning destroy it?
How much would be needed to feel a cathinone high if you ate or chewed it?

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
If it is producing Cathanone it's probably in such small quanitities that It wouldn't have any effect. But it it weird we have not heard about this before. Just my 2 pence.

TGT

MildeStoner

Veteran
Seems this plant is going to keep on surprising us for a good few years, the classic "the more we learn, the less we know" situation
Can cathinone be ingested by being smoked?
Yes
I mean a chem of the speed family in dope and some strains are described to be 'speedy' in effect and no one noticed this coincidence.
I think you may be on to something here. As the industry grows and more and more people start testing their herb, I'm sure we'll see a lot more research into this kind of thing (Specific effects of other chems present in various strains, etc)

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I still find this hard to believe. but it sure seems so. Well see.

TGT

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah likewise..I find it very hard to believe that no one picked this up before.. If it is, it is history in the making..

Imagine if medical marijuana contained another scheduled substance.. That would cause a political and legislative backlash against it and just catalyze the real issue to come to the fore. Which is of course whether or not any state whatsoever has the right to decide what its' citizens do with their own bodies.

HyDroid

Strain Hunters...

Strain Hunters...

Nice thread rick. i was looking at the chart you posted for the nepalese with the mildew and i wonder, have you guys ever taken samples from plants every x weeks during flower to finish and test the levels of thc* at various stages to see how age determines the terpine and thc* profile in the plants?

if the work has already been done by you or others can anyone post links? tia.

Actually there is a group that has done this:

http://www.greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/strains-terpenes-profiles.html

Strain Hunters for the win...

Pangea

Veteran
Interesting. I wonder why these guys are the first to detect Cathinone?

Would be nice to see these results repeated and verified before getting too excited.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
yeah for sure...I'm not too excited either, it is just hellava interesting for me and I am quite skeptical still. If it is true though..it opens up a whole can o' worms. :)

yoss33

Veteran
Seems like the lab guys are not too much into what they are doing. All the compounds listed apart from the last item (cannabinoids) are terpenoids. Cathinone is not a terpenoid, but an alkaloid, so it has nothing to do sitting among the terpenes. Perhaps, they have mislabeled a terpenoid with a close-sounding name.

sprinkl

Veteran
I would like to know more about this. With the huge range of cannabinoids that exist it would make sense that cannabis can produce a lot more, even if they just happen to be precursors it could be very interesting.
Maybe in a few years we'll have buds with DMT-filled trichomes!

Latest posts

Latest posts