What's new

MED GARDEN 101

ReeferDan

any organic soil/nutrient advice for outdoor cultivation? Last year i made a mix of a bunch of different bagged soils in a raised bed (happy frog, FFOF, powerflower mixed with chicken manure and earthworm castings) and fed with like a capful/2gallons of tigerbloom for a few weeks during flower and had some good success. But i have a new spot now and different setup where id like to grow only a couple plants in 5-gal pots and try to max my yields with just a couple plants. Id also like to stay organic. Ive been looking at the humbolt county products as they seem interesting. Im thinking of just sticking strictly with the fox farm ocean forrest soil and the feeding schedule that they have for their nutes. Id like to force flowering to get the most out of whatever sun shows itself in SF during the "summer". Any tips on genetics or anything else is very much appreciated. Id like to possibly grow some purple kush or GDP clones since those are some of my favorite strains.

thanks guys/gals

darthvapor

reeferdan- kellogs patio plus and chunky perlite work great too and is a lot cheaper about $10 for 1.5 cu ft worth. the kellogs has guanos and castings as well as kelp and its at home depot and orchard supply

ReeferDan

nice! Thanks for the info darthvapor. Any info on organic nutes? Ive heard rumors that the fox farm line isnt completely organic.

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
DJ has it right. You must use a frame to elevate the black tarp. I put a fan in there to circulate the air. I wacked early and beat the big boys to market before the price dropped. I tarped at 3pm every day for a week. After that, they don't need it.

As far as soil advice, stay away from too much chicken manure. It's hot. (ie ammoniacal nitrogen) earthworm castings (nitrate nitrogen-way better) will keep the plants denser and not growing over the fence.

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
DJ_highst_ said:
this is what I did last year. I used the fence to block two of the walls to make it easier to manage the other two only. I used PVC to frame it. Was trying to get some early harvest to beat some of the "rush" at the end of the season. It worked well and heat wasnt too much of an issue bc I covered late in the afternoon (around 5pm) and uncovered once night fall hit, to give some fresh air at night.

Well done brother! I bet your neighbors whiffed that a bunch!

D

DJ_highst_

scrappy420 said:
DJ has it right. You must use a frame to elevate the black tarp. I put a fan in there to circulate the air. I wacked early and beat the big boys to market before the price dropped. I tarped at 3pm every day for a week. After that, they don't need it.

As far as soil advice, stay away from too much chicken manure. It's hot. (ie ammoniacal nitrogen) earthworm castings (nitrate nitrogen-way better) will keep the plants denser and not growing over the fence.

How did I miss that post, great info there Scrappy.

So you only tarp for a week, huh? Thats interesting, so once you get the flowering to "trigger" it will keep going even when you stop tarping for the duration of the flower cycle even though its too early. How many times have you tired that? Does it work with all strains? Do you initate flowering at the same time every year? Does strain affect when you start?

I have always covered until the last weeks or so. I just dont want it do anything funny, so I play it safe and keep covering. I am going to try to get a fan/blower set-up this year if its feasible.

Good call on the chicken manure and worm casting info. Thats interesting knowledge.

geezeressa

Wow DJ that's killer. A picture's worth a thousand words. I now have some idea about how to deal with my outdoor light issues.

I did put the Spaceship outside the other day. I saw a couple of bananas and picked em off, but there is still three weeks to go. The buds are smallish and unimpressive so far, but aside from a one night timer problem (hence bananas - plus I read somewhere that Spaceship has a tendency to herm in later flowering) I hope to be able to salvage something. The indoor timer was set from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm, and right now sunrise is 6:51 am and sets at 7:35, so there is 12:44 of daylight.

What do you think, is there hope?

Last edited:

tiedye420

This PP is a 4 month type soil. Easy to burn -with nutes be careful.
FF uses adht for a cheleating agent.
bio-bizz, PBP, advanced nutes are better.
Foxfarm is fairly decent with no chemmy taste, for a fairly cheap line..
I am switching from age old organics to pure blend pro.Back and forth.
age old in stretch and first flush, P.B.P. FER THE FINISH...
Molassess is a natural cheleating agent...

darthvapor said:
reeferdan- kellogs patio plus and chunky perlite work great too and is a lot cheaper about $10 for 1.5 cu ft worth. the kellogs has guanos and castings as well as kelp and its at home depot and orchard supply

tiedye420

Can I steal yer face a minute boys.... :wave: :pointlaug :dueling:
yeah the plastic is only on one side since the snow melted, and the sun came out....
tie :joint:

geezeressa

Mirage said:
Late flowering herms are usually, tho not always, pollenless. Check closely.

There is always hope.

Mirage
Thanks. You're right, I didn't see any dust.

I'm gonna go look for tomatoe cages, even though it's too early for tomatoes. That way I can put the cover over the plant without hurting it. Has anybody tried landscaping cloth instead of a tarp? It would (I think) allow the plant to breath better than being under plastic.

Last edited:

tiedye420

There is so much pollen on my plants they look insect riddled.
Fortunatly it's oak pollen. It brushes right off.
I put the tarp back because the nugs are thumb size now...(Looks like rain)
And used age old organics bloom fer the last time on those ones...
Now it's PBP, additives included- but I'll be using mollasses for 'sweet'.
SSI made a decision today...
I'll know in a few days what it was...
tie

G

I've got a beginner question:

I'm about to start my second grow, and I'm going to be cutting four clones from a mother I've been vegging. The mother is big enough to cut many more than four clones from it, but I only need four.

Is there an advantage to cutting larger clones? Will big clones even root?

I could, if I wanted to, cut four clones from this mother that are 12 to 18 inches. Is that helpful, or hurtful?

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
I like larger cuts. Around 6 inchs. They will grow faster when rooted. But make sure to strip the first 2 to 3 inchs of leaves etc.

ANd I always take twice as many as i need. Take the strongest.

tiedye420

I been digging holes and mixing my clayish soil with growmulch.. Should do pretty good this late spring.. Like scrappy said, come harvest the helicopters will have me freaked out....I'm looking at around 30 strains this year....
Hey I'll be at the bobby shows coming up in a couple weeks.. Should be fun.

geezeressa

SCF said:
I like larger cuts. Around 6 inchs. They will grow faster when rooted. But make sure to strip the first 2 to 3 inchs of leaves etc.

ANd I always take twice as many as i need. Take the strongest.
But don't take too many....the plant needs some leaves to photosynthesize so it won't die.

meduser180056

What's up with my PK's?

What's up with my PK's?

:wave:

Hello everyone. I'm having a lil trouble with my PK's same thing happened last grow to a lesser extent. Anyone familiar with this problem? Starts browning on tips of older fan leaves which curl up. Then it progresses to other tips on the leaf till it starts to completely die. It's spreading throughout the garden. I'm thinking it's some kind of nute deficiency or it's overfert? I don't know I just want it to stop!

:badday: