What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MED GARDEN 101

G

I know, you have to get fitted for the ol' ball and chain, we'll wait here. Good luck with everything. We can hook up later - it's all good.

tiedye420

Yeah man I run my hydrofarm 6" A/C 600's at 9 inches from the canopy...

Neptune said:
Dopey,

What Cervantes was trying to illustrate is this...

a 600w lamp placed at 1 foot from the canopy is ~ maximum bulb lumens (90,000 or so). A 1000w lamp placed 1' from the canopy is ~ maximum bulb lumens (150,000 or so).

But, it is much easier to get a 600w to rest comfertably (heat) at 1 foot, whereas it is much more difficult to get a 1000w to rest comfertably... there we see that most 1000w fixtures are often 2+ feet from the canopy tops.... making the delievered lumens about equal.

I know many folks who place 600w lamps under 1 foot from the canopy, makng them very powerful and high intensity at the cost of light footprint... It is a good idea to AIRCOOL all your HID lighting to get them as close to the canopy as possible.. the closer the better, until burning/yellowing occurs... then you are too close. A thermal coupple or thermometer will tell you what a little trail and error will.

tiedye420

Well hello tom
anyways, I have a lavender Cut I procured from the modesto club 2 years ago. It was infected.. I had a heck of a time the first year with her...
I have revegged her and kept the same piece going..
I had a bit of Pm problems this winter, but she cleared up during the testing phase.. Once everything was in order..
Of course SM-90 was used a lot to control serious outbreaks.
But I waited a few weeks between sprayings to gauge resistancy of whats going in there...
Now I got all the data I need, I'll use 3 circulation fans and scrub down everything even my vent tubing for exhaust...
But the lavender cut does seem to be building an immunity to pm..
which lav usually shows it first in my grow, and i know for others.
It's real hard to spot indoors, ya gotta get em out in the morning sun to check em & spray em...
I have three I'm clearing up from minimal Pm, and I'll have to get fresh cuts from them.
I'm trying to rid my grow permanently of PM... It's getting real close too.
Probabaly just need new bulbs now.... after the scrubbing...
But I'll put the infected ones out right away now,as soon as they get spotted they need to be culled from the garden...
I have a killer video on my dish network drive, it's from uc davis about dealing with pathogens...
My only actual problem, is a few drops of water leaking through the roof when it rains. I'll get her done soon. (the roof)
But in a couple months or less I'll know how this lav cut is acting now..I have some shady areas in the yard I can test one in..

She went into overdrive recently, revegging shortly after transplanting the root ball into fresh medium...prognosis looks good for torturing out the hidden resistance traits in a cut......My GD almost got dumped today- but i'm giving her another chance with sm-90.. She was going under without it...
I think most important, is to cut them when they are in A natural growth spurt. calcium helps build plant resistance bigtime...are you speaking of a spray on the leaves tom, of the calcium?
Might just be knocking the pathogen down ,and simultaneously helping the plant cope with the pathogen.sounds interesting..
tiedye420

TomHill said:
Hola Scrappy,

I think it's about being clean as well. Maybe sterile tissue culture holds promice but i'm not holding my breath waiting on artificial seed production from prescreened stock. Perhaps we should look into hospital surgery room ventilation systems etc, lol..I would also say that sadly, the majority of clones out there are coming to us with some sort of systemic disease out of the gate. Often indoor growers don't recognize it before it gets really bad do to the lack of growth lulls in the common indoor setup, & the relatively short cycle. Put the same clone outdoors for the longer haul and infections become much more readily apparent. Charcoal rot & fusariums are quite common in my/your area, & imo, are often responsible for the "this old clone just doesn't yield the way it use to".

It may be possible to hold these infections at bay or even save an old clone by cell strenthining and trying to grow your way out of it.
Retarding enzyme progress with calcium (i use "calcium 25") seems to hold some promice..

Tom

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
Hiya tiedye :wave:
IMO fixing the roof leak will take care of the bulk of your problem. My brother had a similar problem years ago, plagued with PM indoors. Found a hidden roof leak after a couple years and then the PM problem virtually disappeared - it would only threaten during very wet summer weather, but was manageable. So fingers crossed, you'll be good to go on the PM front.

tiedye420

Hiya greenjeans how ya been?
Guess I should start hanging in the med section more often, this feels more homey than the breeder thinktank.. I drive myself crazy enough as it is brainstorming most the time....(OH boy, yeah I know it all too well my friends)
Yeah it's been a crazy first winter here, we moved only 25 miles away last april.
But straight uphill, I was at my usual 600 to 800 ft. elevaton..
I have even grown below sea level (anza borrego)
this is my stinky genepool trail. Now we moved to around 2700 foot.
WE moved out of the grow trailer.. Which opened up 2 new rooms. I'm not using them now, but I have tested and know what equipmet I need for final upgrading. A vortex 400 and two wall mount fans will open another room up now.also same for the other room, except I'm comtemplating two small chambers for breeding in -under a 400 or 600 with a few like subjects..
and another regular bud room...
Of course this will require also a conglomeration of filters as well.(might need the bucket filter method)
yesterday I grabbed a 15" wall mount from a "down room" and put it caddy corner from the other one in my veg area. I been so piss poor broke during my upcoming trials indoor, that it takes years to make a two month advancement it seems....
but this year is my turning point... I am coming out of the closet..my outdoor garden soil is mixed up, and the area is going fine..
Like I say sign is minimal and after a good rain now. When the sun is out, in the early morning after a rain they have to come out for treatment....
My soils are mixed- now it's sunny & I can probaly get to the roof today or tomorrow. I am out of meds now so i'm not functioning well or sleeping good.
(but my points come across better it seems)
Guess I'll have to BHO some budleaf for oil to calm me....
I'm insane sort of. I was letting the PM run it's course a bit to see what was susept and what is not susept.
Nl slightly susept, G-13 borderline susept/resistant, chxhp pheno of stinky immune, ect. ect.
No man I got no worries about putting clean cuts out, just gonna take a bit more sm-90 to get through the transition, and the leak fixed..
new bulbs would help... I am considering agrosun gold for my halides.
anyone use this for a muti purpose light yet? veg and bud?
My springbud needs to swing some new bulbs for me. Might as well start window shopping now.another gallon of sm 90 wouldn't hurt either.L.O.L.
And some PBP additives, PBPbloom, ect. Got a gallon of PBP veg.
I like age old as well and switch up between the two, depending on her needs mostly.
My outdoor stuff is in huge planters or 33 gallon trashbag/growbags.
Im letting them grab dirt and using a little bit of worm castings at the moment
My soil is basically vics mix with steer instead of blood.LOTS OF ASH IN MY SOIL, My mix smells like the hawaiian magic of the 70's...
(see- I was growing organic then too- my pallate also has soil mixes ingraned- he he he)
O.K> my background..
when i was 13, My sister 6 years my senior relayed some hand me down information.. How himalayan cultures dig through piles of seeds picking out good ones, then after planting they choose certain ones for breeding.. Mainly by removing the small number of unwanteds from a large pool of wants. But leaving the larger pool intact.
alsotaught to me was manicuring himalayan style, water leaves removed "when the buds get the size of your thumb" (basically 1/2 way through- couple weeks after the stretch- maybe 10 days.)
Then after she flushes more fatness, there will be a lull, this is when the budleaves are trimmed off. A lot of the kush's and nepalese strains have been treated this way for centuries.( right before the fat- it triggers her to put energy into fatter buds instead of more budleaves)
It also serves to strip any excess nitrogen from the plant stored in the water leaves. It works better than flushing too.
It is a way to bring out the best flavor and budset.
But most internet growers trim up after harvest.
I don't get it myself, but I was taught "old school" as you can probably tell.
Even though i still feel like a crazy punk kid sometimes..
also boiling the roots is a 70's myth, IT KILLS PLANT ACTIVITY IMMEDIATLY>
much better to use a paper towel and moisten it. Wrap this around the roots after you wash dirt off them. keep it moist for 2-3 days...
This will flush all the goodies out of the roots and stems, it causes the plant to "stay alive" upside down while the chemistry adjusts. She is still producing chemistry, thc is still forming and enlarging. It takes 3 days for the leaves to even wilt with this method..
Also the curing process is longer, by a few days.. But most importantly.
The starches in her are changing to sugar, cure her longer and add water-
it's a better reaction...
taste a stem from a clone this was not done to, and taste a stem from the one which you tried this method with.
The stem boiled in water will have a resinous taste to it, the one flushed with a paper towel, will have a neutral grassy flavor.
AsIde from visible glaze increasing..
BTW
Don't knock it until ya tried it....

Mr GreenJeans said:
Hiya tiedye :wave:
IMO fixing the roof leak will take care of the bulk of your problem. My brother had a similar problem years ago, plagued with PM indoors. Found a hidden roof leak after a couple years and then the PM problem virtually disappeared - it would only threaten during very wet summer weather, but was manageable. So fingers crossed, you'll be good to go on the PM front.

tiedye420

OH yeah it's on the roadkill thread.
REz started saying humbolt county growers union wishes they has his genepool..
What a fucking ego that is....
So I'll be pointing out here soon how scrawny rez's work looks next to mine.
lets put them east coast boys to the test this year..
he thinks he can sell his gonzo seeds by saying there is a roadkill pheno.
when everyone knows it's massachusets super skunk he has. He's tring a 4 way muddy water trick to get us to seek skunk phenos from his seeds.I'm not buying it.
He pissed me off by talking bad of our california heritage.. Like the truebreeding kill isn't on hold up there ,but really they would have to get his genepool to find her.
Yeah humbolt needs rez's s1 rodelization work?
I mean don't get me wrong he is doing a good service for the community by working old cuts.
But to say shit like he does is pure ego.
No way he can compare to open pollenated valleys of trubreeds.
who the f' does he think we are out here.
IF anyone comes up with roadkill EVERY PHENO IS THE SAME QUALITY and SUBSTANCE...
damn I can plant bagseed and come up with better uniformity than sone of these friggin hybrids out here..
there is no strain with a roadkill phenopure. To recombinate it you need to know which parents were used. to remake it the same thing applies.
SKUNK BRED TRUE, from the very first year she came out, f1 f2 s1, all the same phenos..... she was a trubreed of afghnai kush lines, or afghanixafghani...
something like that....

tiedye420

Damn
what a weird day. My SxS turned out to have a little funk at four inches tall.
sourxstinky... slightly funky, not quite the roadkill, but in the same vein.
A funky skunky indica dom..
gots ta clean the pool up to get Her back fully...
but i'm getting closer by the minute..
Anyone know which kush is in MSS?
SourxStinky

Last edited:

geezeressa

scrappy420 said:
I'll be gone till sat getting ready for the wedding. Dopey, please keep this place civil till I get back :)
I want to see Scrappy in a tux. He said he was going to wear one. I hope his Pretty Lady is doing well.
Wow Dopey, I checked out your "experiment" - looks great. I might try some Gravity...I wish they sold tiny little bottles for tiny little grows.

Last edited:
G

Don't buy any and I'll give you half of my bottle. I figure I'm using 10-15ml per grow and it's going to go bad before I get and chance to use it up. You don't notice gravity while it's growing but after harvest and you go to bust up your buds for the grinder they'll be rock hard, more like club buds.

Scrappy is handsome I see his pics in some publications other than the Oaksterdam News, modeling shirts and stuff. You probably never noticed but brides always look HAWT on their wedding day. He better cough up some monkey suit pics.

This mother's finest I have in bloom looks anything but fine. In fact it's a trichomeless freak of nature. Imagine a noob growing some bag seed, it looks that bad. One guy said his went 12 weeks and wasn't finished. The NYCD is looking frosty and looks to be a keeper, bushy growth and already packing on some weight at 4 weeks. Frosty too.

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
Aww thanks. I'm gonna buy a suit at the mens wearhouse 'cause George Zimmer has helped the med scene so much.

Anyhow, I'm back and I'll be trimming the grandaddy purp tonight. It's not a fun strain to trim plus its not a huge flower unless the plant is huge. I flowered a mom and it was killer. Small plants are tiny producers although it is killer.

tiedye420

Hi scrappy I'm trying to bug ya here for a bit. There is just so much developing into more than I ever anticipated. Dopey, your gonna die. You brought this up.
I been getting beans and discerning them as long as I remeber. Well when I moved up here, we got hooked with some seedstock that is local. Came from a trashbag- brown grocery sack. Who do you know that carries a grocery sack around of beans in north/cenrtal/foothills territorry? Can't be too many guys like that.
Well I knew the beans were old, I knew it was california stock. I worked it into my own acclimatized landrace origin stuff.
I have done contract breeding for the red and white. In 1996 I worked a 50 pack of beans. Acclimtized them to san diego. Those are the hashplants I speak of. All the time.
My original hashplant. Well as part of the contract work I had to give beans back to the hells angels affilliates , or his little brother anyways...They went up north that winter. Pretty sure a new hashplant popped up in the union "already acclimatized".
And another plant that came up with her. Might even be wreck.
If wreck is dated to 1996 she may be my wreck, if she really travelled from dago at that time....because my colombian x to the pure went with her.. The ritghteous hashplant I speak of. All I was told was "she is fresh off the boat only certain people get them" + you have to keep her pure and not give her out"+ any work comes back-keep some for yourself"
I grew it behind the wrecking yard in my hometown...
I was so left in the dark back then I wondered If they knew when and why I went back there. But A security guard would make sure no-body else got through..
I smoked him down and dosed him a lot bros.. NO shit...
true story
L.O.L. chasing my own lost strain up the coast?
nahh the boys just gave me some more mendos today.
They are like mentos candy to me for life- GEt it.
MY genetics rock listen to scrappy.
He might just know me in real life guys. And even if he isn't he's my blood brother.
I'm an old deadhead hippie- sort of on standby out here. Born and raised 1%.
And lived to tell about it...
Rez ez reallly, really, really is barking up the wrong tree.Let sleeping dogs lie.
I just germed about 200 seeds from mentos to mine and jacks.
You guys think jacks cleaner is the shit? wait man wait.
I got the sativa thai pheno from regreseed herijana. ASk little jack if he wants to talk to tiedye bruce, he'll want to know where ya heard that. I need to see that boy.
He can bring big jack to kick it in my beautiful peaceful backyard til the cows come home.My licence is suspended I'm gonna have someone drive me I guess.i gotta see big jack..
Rez pissed me off I'll be planting a strain a week for the year.. (I'll stop at 50 strains-only 1/2 of my genetics ) Most is what I made with herijiana regressed phenos, or the thai dom diploid, and my hashplantxcolombianxhogsbreath and humm.
jacks old with my new from the hashplant decendants.
And i got the original hashplant popping...
Now I realize my 50 was made into 200-300-was brought up and probably given again as 50 packs to you boys up north in 96 or 97.....then i didn't have a clue.
Now with that kinda style, who wants to verify my genetics first?
Anyone? Chris castiglleone in lakeside will tell ya my ol lady has a mean left hook.
I am throwing out shit only they can identify me with for verification.
maybe it will bite my ass maybe it wont.
I want the boys down south to hear me. I'm coming out of the closet and hitting the bricks with my gear. Dont know who else should deserve working with me as I come up finally.. But I can think of quite a few over there... You guys are just gonna freak on my gear.
I stopped at around 200 scrappy..he he he... jiffy corn a poppin on the stove it is...

geezeressa

Methinks Tiedye is channelling Neil Cassady.

From upper left: White Widow, Spaceship, Pineapple Mist, Purple Kush at 18 days...

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
lol i have so many questions for you but wait till im better and get a better understading of cube growing with drip? system. I have to read through this thread got big quick! Props!

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
a 4x4 cube in a one gallon pot with a 1/2 inch tube and 1/4 drip with no gph valve is the way. Berkeley indoor has EVERYTHING. 510 549 2817. This place rocks. Ask for Dan. He knows his shit.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Hey Scrappy, I know I said before I wasn't interested in going to drip, well I have done a lot of thinking and have realized you are right.

I know you mentioned B.I.G. but do you know where I could learn more about setup of a drip system on line for hydroponics? I was told also to run a drain to waste setup and have only found information pertaining to outdoor setup and have not seen a setup for hydroponics. If you know of any links I would appreciate it.

tiedye420

Well maybe I just need a couple sledgehammers to occupy my mind juggling then.. Good one!
Nice gear, I like the widow a lot -I run her for speed weed.She has a pleasant stone,although a tad mellow...
I need to bust into aero cloning.
I suck at indoor growing, I can juggle a perpetual dirt harvest but it takes all my time. I need some advise on aero-cloning and whatnot.
It is a new realm for me I'll be looking at soon....Guess I am in the right place.

Scrappy congrats on the wedding, Now that I have placed you I am really looking forward to meeting the misses. She must be something else.
From what i remeber, and see still here , of you your one heck of a guy...
Guys It looks like I met scrappy when he first rolled into the bay area.
And still wonder what ever happended to him from time to time.
we been going back and forth and it seems we met in 90/91 or so...
So I'm not lost in cyberspace anymore.Jerry's hand is on us.
I'll start acting sensible again more than likely, a lot of things I was pushing at came through.
Thanks for the tolerance my friends..
I bug me a lot too... L.O.L.
tie
geezeressa said:
Methinks Tiedye is channelling Neil Cassady.

From upper left: White Widow, Spaceship, Pineapple Mist, Purple Kush at 18 days...

all messed up

Overgrow refugee
Veteran
hey

hey

damakkus said:
Hey Scrappy, I know I said before I wasn't interested in going to drip, well I have done a lot of thinking and have realized you are right.

I know you mentioned B.I.G. but do you know where I could learn more about setup of a drip system on line for hydroponics? I was told also to run a drain to waste setup and have only found information pertaining to outdoor setup and have not seen a setup for hydroponics. If you know of any links I would appreciate it.

I would call Berkeley indoor and the bald guy Dan knows his shit. Get there early and he can show you how to do a recirculating system that will save money and time. He knows his shit.

here's more general info but indoor the run to waste goes back to the reservoir as it takes a few days to foul the water and if changed every six days it can be recirculated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drip_irrigation

purpleplayer007

whats up scrappy I got a couple questions. Do you know what medium the mothers at sr71 are vegged in. The last sr71 pk mom I flowered stayed a lot healthier than anything else I vegged out myself. I got an oddysey mom i'm ready to throw in the flower room pretty soon. I been using gh 3 part but I'm gonna get something new today or tommorow. What nutes do you recommend that''ll go good with the sr71 mothers.