What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Meat Rabbits!! Pick a good breed! ;)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Someone calls looking for 'meat' rabbits. I tell them it's $85 for a purebred meat rabbit and they want something cheaper. lol

Look... save yourself time and money and pay for real genetics. lol

Massively awesome nutrition, and such a waste of time to bother with non-purebred rabbits for meat. ;)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Someone calls looking for 'meat' rabbits. I tell them it's $85 for a purebred meat rabbit and they want something cheaper. lol

Look... save yourself time and money and pay for real genetics. lol

Massively awesome nutrition, and such a waste of time to bother with non-purebred rabbits for meat. ;)
I once saw a rabbit that was baked in an oven after it was cooked. My first impression was it looked like a cooked poodle ready to eat. There was no way I could bring myself to eat it. I just couldn't do it. LOL

Reactions: Rgd

OleReynard

Wild rabbit is magnificent never ate a tame one- $85 really?
My great aunt loved the legs so I got stuck with the backstraps ya stuck with.
Can't be beat

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
A real 'meat rabbit' breed is specifically bred for meat and fur. Compared to 'mutts,' the real meat breeds are amazing. How long do you really want to feed an animal for it to reach 5lbs? The mutts I started with take 4 months instead of 2... and the meat to bone ratio is way off.

I once saw a rabbit that was baked in an oven after it was cooked. My first impression was it looked like a cooked poodle ready to eat. There was no way I could bring myself to eat it. I just couldn't do it. LOL
It's called being disconnected from your food supply. I package the chicken looking pieces together for folks like yourself. heh

I like rabbit but there's not enough fat on them for my taste.
You've never had 'kept' rabbit, 'cause there's plenty of delicious fat on them.

A lot of 'rabbits' people shoot and eat are actually 'Hares' and are a red meat animal with a completely different taste than rabbit. Rabbits and hares are unable to crossbreed because they're not the same animal. Rabbits are the tastier white chicken meat with no dark meat. ;)

Wild rabbit is magnificent never ate a tame one- $85 really?
My great aunt loved the legs so I got stuck with the backstraps ya stuck with.
Can't be beat
$85 live with pedigree... yup. They're cheaper from the freezer at $10/lb. lol The meat has higher levels of micronutrients and has more nutritional value per pound than good beef. Think plumper, juicier, tastier and more tender meat than wild rabbit. :) And yeah, you are correct, no matter what part it is the rabbit is delicious. :)

JKD

Veteran
My wife thinks a skinned rabbit looks like an embryo. Another issue we’ve struck is my making the mistake of giving her a sheep liver to put in the fridge while it was still warm from recent slaughter. I’ve learned to make sure everything looks like either a supermarket product, or a meal - or I’ll be the only one eating it.

‘New Zealand Rabbit’ for the OP question.

OleReynard

My wife thinks a skinned rabbit looks like an embryo. Another issue we’ve struck is my making the mistake of giving her a sheep liver to put in the fridge while it was still warm from recent slaughter. I’ve learned to make sure everything looks like either a supermarket product, or a meal - or I’ll be the only one eating it.

‘New Zealand Rabbit’ for the OP question.
Try a skinned treedog, they look like a rat

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
We can hunt rabbits until midnight .
Went out last night sporting my Ruger 10/22 with a red LED light with a pressure switch taped to it, subsonic ammo and got one . Missed two long shots but one is easily a meal at any rate.
bunny hunt.jpg

hamstring

Veteran
When I was kid , 1975 time period, my dad had a sign outside our house that said "Dressed Rabbits" and it had a picture of a rabbit in a top hat.:tiphat:

When someone stopped he would walk out to the cage, grab a rabbit, break its neck and pull the skin off and gut it by hand. Never once using a knife.

No rabbit meat for me after growing up seeing that go down :sick: . We hunted wild rabbits too and there is no comparison, completely different beast.

Nannymouse

Yes, i've raised and eaten 'domestic' rabbit (and have eaten lots of other types of game...bear, raccoon(yuk on both, i don't like the fat), squirrel, game birds of all types(hate wild duck, love tame),pheasant, moose, elk, deer, eel, smoked carp, octopus... My gramma had warnings about eating wild rabbit/hare because of the tuberculosis that was rampant in the wild ones, back in her day(she was from a hunting/trapping family)

Most of today's people are grossed out at seeing meat that isn't cut up or been through a grinder. Even in town, we used to have a butcher shop...live to packaged, and lockered. The stores used to display their whole aging beef carcasses behind glass, and had butchers on duty. when we were little kids, we peeked in at the local packing plant (live to swinging carcasses), one of the guys working there was going to shoo us away, cuz we 'didn't need to see that', but another guy said, heck no let those kids see where their food comes from. We didn't get to see the slaughter, but got to see the 'dissemble and wash down line'. We also raised chickens, by the hundreds and we kids were expected to work in the processing, from head lopping to the freezer. It wasn't the work that grossed me out, so much as the smell of guts and singed feathers.

Couldn't get my kids to learn how to cut up a chicken. I was so anxious to show them my skill at filleting a gizzard, too.

moose eater

I believe it's tularemia in the wild hares/rabbits that's of concern. Used to be more common in the warmer months in the Mid-West, but it's apparently expanded its season of concern.

These days I understand it's also a concern in the sub-arctic now.

We only get wild snowshoe hare unless they're domestic. To keep things interesting, they notably change color summer to winter.

Also, rabbit's/hare's excrement is one of the best fertilizers going, along with sheep and goat poop.

OleReynard

I believe it's tularemia in the wild hares/rabbits that's of concern. Used to be more common in the warmer months in the Mid-West, but it's apparently expanded its season of concern.

These days I understand it's also a concern in the sub-arctic now.

We only get wild snowshoe hare unless they're domestic. To keep things interesting, they change color summer to winter.

Also, rabbit's/hare's excrement is one of the best fertilizers going, along with sheep and goat poop.
@ moose eater where ya been aint seen ya in a bit

moose eater

I've pressure-cooked and canned (jarred, to be more specific) snowshoe hare years ago. Not bad in any way, but nowhere near as much meat as a mature domestic meat bunny.

The protein component in snowshoe hares is similar to caribou, and more difficult for extracting through digestion by people with shorter digestive tracts. The various Alaska Native groups (especially northern), for the most part, are able to extract protein more easily from both, due to the elongated nature of their digestive tracts and extended time their people have eaten such forms of protein.

moose eater

If you look closely at the hind foot, you can see why they're called 'snowshoe' hares. They leave tracks in the snow like a snowshoe (albeit size small).