What's new

mazar I shariff RSC line roms

ngakpa

Veteran
+1 ^^

The best way to well understand the MIS and its various F1 Afghanica alias "indica giant" is simply to cultivate and grow them! In this way you will find a lot of variation of phenotypes/genotypes compared to others indican origins from Pakistan or the other Kafiristanican origin from Nuristan. Also the other point of comprehension is the respect of anthropology... Agriculture, agronomy and breeding was practiced a long time ago by Afghans and others Hindu kush people! A long time before Dutch or American i mean!

So by crossing the original dwarf resinous cannabis from high in the mountains (+3000m) with the best Indian sativa like Kerala they simply have created the F1 giant haschich cultivar alias Afghanica! (imho)

who has seeds from Nuristan???

and how on earth do you get the idea that genetics from Kerala have travelled to Afghanistan???

ngakpa

Veteran
Hey Rastak! Bien plaiz de te voir reviendu poto! BZH en force!
N'hésites pas à me mp si tu veux test dac!
:smoke:

Well to complete the answer and the confusion between Indica, Kafiristanica and Afghanica here is a lowland field of Kafiristanican plants from South Afghanistan. They named the line "watani" there but the origin comes from more high in the mountains in facts cause natural dwarfism is due to altitude! In the second page we see the real giant F1 Afghanican!... By hoping it helps to enlighten folks who confuse the bordel! ^^

View Image
View Image
Thanks @Four seasons for the upload!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=143058

Problem with this:

how do you know the altitude of the field?

how do you know what the strain is?

for all you know, it could be a large strain grown in poor sandy soil (highly likely)

the same goes for anecdotal reports of what Western travellers saw in the '60s and '70s --- even more so, as it's highly unlikely any of them had grow experience, or any experience of being around cultivated plants

also, I prefer to call them:

schmindica
schmafghanica
and schmafiristanica

ngakpa

Veteran
it doesn't change the fact that we still have to take your word for it.

well, in the case of the Mazari, you don't just have to take my word for it, because you can cross-reference to information from Afghanistan, notably the UNODC Afghan Cannabis Surveys

the information trail

what information trail? most of this doesn't even seem to be at the Chinese whispers level

A lot of those older Afghani genetics were supposedly brought back by soldiers, and not so much by travelers, because the area wasn't and isn't a very friendly environment for Westerners, which also adds to the murkiness of the information trail.

recently seeds will have been brought back by soldiers - i.e. post 9/11

but when would Western solidiers have been in Afghanistan between 2001 and the Hippie Trail era?

the last time Western troops were in Afghanistan pre-9/11 was the Victorian era

[/QUOTE]

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
who has seeds from Nuristan???

and how on earth do you get the idea that genetics from Kerala have travelled to Afghanistan???

Me in my dreams bro,

and for the idea (x Kerala) it's simple deduction about its famous quality and legend vibe in the ages. In the other hand you have the argument of another town named Kerala on the Pakistan side of the Hindu Kush. What do you think about the probability xKerala?

picture.php

Problem with this:

how do you know the altitude of the field?

how do you know what the strain is?

for all you know, it could be a large strain grown in poor sandy soil (highly likely)

the same goes for anecdotal reports of what Western travellers saw in the '60s and '70s --- even more so, as it's highly unlikely any of them had grow experience, or any experience of being around cultivated plants

also, I prefer to call them:

schmindica
schmafghanica
and schmafiristanica

On this photo you see hills and not mountains man so the field is not from high altitude imo... Otherwise you would see mountains behind you know!

Yal i prefer keep the historic denomination indi sati etc. In facts some plants like MIS could start WLD and finish NLD so it complicates the things. The various Afghanica in the terms of sativa x indica or kafiristanica finds its meaning i think. Peace

igrowone

Veteran

Well to complete the answer and the confusion between Indica, Kafiristanica and Afghanica here is a lowland field of Kafiristanican plants from South Afghanistan. They named the line "watani" there but the origin comes from more high in the mountains in facts cause natural dwarfism is due to altitude! In the second page we see the real giant F1 Afghanican!... By hoping it helps to enlighten folks who confuse the bordel! ^^

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=143058

thank you for this info
i'm growing out 1 of the old mazar freebies, interesting grow
very compact, seems to be of the same sort in your picture
those freebies were not popular, but i'm thinking of them as being an unfamiliar type to most growers
quantity isn't going to be large, but it is frosty

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
I bet a Mazar-i-Sharif X Kerala would make for a nice plant. :tiphat:

:) sativ backcross imo! On the paper it sounds good but the inverse Kerala x MIS will works better i think. (by knowing sativa female works better than sativa male in the cross with indica) Mmmh MIS is Afghanica so your MIS x Kerala could works fine too?? :D

Also the one Kerala x Kafiristanica (dwarf) would be interesting to recover or not the MIS vibes!?

thejact55

:) sativ backcross imo! On the paper it sounds good but the inverse Kerala x MIS will works better i think. (by knowing sativa female works better than sativa male in the cross with indica) Mmmh MIS is Afghanica so your MIS x Kerala could works fine too?? :D

Also the one Kerala x Kafiristanica (dwarf) would be interesting to recover or not the MIS vibes!?

Roms- please do explain further. I am in the seed building stage, then will play with crosses. So it is always better to use a female sat with indica male? Are there exceptions? What happens if i use a indica male with a sativa male? Why is there an issue. I have heard that on a general basis some strains dont cross well, but havent seen much reading on it.

troutman

Seed Whore
Roms- please do explain further. I am in the seed building stage, then will play with crosses. So it is always better to use a female sat with indica male? Are there exceptions? What happens if i use a indica male with a sativa male? Why is there an issue. I have heard that on a general basis some strains dont cross well, but havent seen much reading on it.

DJ Short said he uses female Sativa and male Indica and why.

Check here:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/1999/09/01/1511

Roms

.bzh
Veteran

DJ Short said he uses female Sativa and male Indica and why.

Check here:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/content/1999/09/01/1511

In facts male often pass its general shape, and flowers too! So with Indica male you will find +/- indica rock buds...
That's the reason of DJShort's choice but the inverse with Sativa male isn't without interest.
The opposite is in everything i think, also good yield pheno can appears according parents strains! Maybe with more labor of selection but no problemo imho 55'! ;) Thx Troutman!

thejact55

Thank you both troutman and roms. I spent a fair amount of time reading the article you showed, as well as a fair amount of other dj articles. Good fact to know, can save years of trial.

Coughie

well, in the case of the Mazari, you don't just have to take my word for it, because you can cross-reference to information from Afghanistan, notably the UNODC Afghan Cannabis Surveys

The UNODC Afghan Cannabis Surveys seem interesting, having some broader facts about the Afghan region, increasing the likelihood that it is what you say it is.

Not that I've ever had reason to doubt you, I've followed you and your writings for a while now... Was just applying the obscurity to something that you might be able to relate to.

what information trail? most of this doesn't even seem to be at the Chinese whispers level
You could at least quote me properly.

So if the information trail indicates that they used Mazar genetics, that's all we have to go on and we can either accept that or not.

If, being a pretty key word; I added the 'bold' to point it out..

We aren't even talking about any cross/people in particular, so I don't know why you'd think I would be talking about a particular set of information.

recently seeds will have been brought back by soldiers - i.e. post 9/11

but when would Western solidiers have been in Afghanistan between 2001 and the Hippie Trail era?

the last time Western troops were in Afghanistan pre-9/11 was the Victorian era

You're right,
I've been in the middle of college finals (hence the stress/good weed expression I used a few posts ago) so it's not hard for me to understand how I got my Cannabis facts backwards, as its been several months since I've had time to refresh myself with all this.

This all started with a question about Mazar being used in Skunk #1, of which I didn't know either way, but has since been quite derailed by a series of errors on my part and a succession of questions on your end, of which you seem to already have all the answers to, so I dont really know where this conversation is going other than being a continuing derailing of Roms' thread.

And for that, Roms, I'm sorry.

ngakpa

Veteran
hi Coughie,

just to be clear: I prefer to be as accurate as possible, and as honest as possible, about what these plants are, that's all

I'm not having a go at you, and it wasn't meant to come across that way - sorry if it did

to reply to your points:

the UNODC Afghan Cannabis Surveys are in my view the only reliable info we have on Afghanistan (in the same way the IHDC is some of the only reliable info there is on India)

in fairness, if we are going to debate about the usage of words - you referred to "the information trail"... the way you used "if" doesn't negate the meaning there... "the" is the definite article, and indicates that there is an information trail that exists... hence the misunderstanding

I'm glad that you agree there doesn't seem to be

regarding Roms's thread - well, these are Mazari plants, so it's not derailing anything, don't worry about that

how many generations are they from the seeds I bought back now Roms?

ngakpa

Veteran
Me in my dreams bro,

and for the idea (x Kerala) it's simple deduction about its famous quality and legend vibe in the ages. In the other hand you have the argument of another town named Kerala on the Pakistan side of the Hindu Kush. What do you think about the probability xKerala?

to be honest, I think the probabilty of Mazar-i-Sharif being a hybrid with a Kerala strain is very, very, very low to nonexistent

one of the main reasons for the genetic diversity of cannabis in Asia is that when people transport cannabis seeds from one region to another within Asia it is the exception not the rule ---

the likelihood of cannabis being transported from tropical India up to the Hindu Kush, and then being the basis for a hybrid in Balkh is minimal at best

re. your speculation about Nuristan:

add to that, Nuristan and Kunar have been hardcore Islamist regions since the 1950s... they don't afaik have a reputation for cultivating cannabis... they definitely do have a reputation for militant Salafism

the fact that there is a village in Kunar called Kerala means very little... it's in Afghanistan, this village, right, not Pakistan as you said?

it's most likely a Pushto word, and almost certainly has no connection to Kerala(m), the name of the state in South India, which comes from the Malayalam words "kera" (coconut tree) and "alam" (land of)... I think it's safe to say that there are not coconut trees in Kerala village, Kunar

On this photo you see hills and not mountains man so the field is not from high altitude imo... Otherwise you would see mountains behind you know!

that reasoning about not seeing high mountains meaning that the field isn't high doesn't work tbh

anyway, like I say, the only reason I am bringing this up is I think there is enough myth-making about these plants - they don't really need it, they are special anyway, right?

Coughie

Ngakpa,

I prefer accuracy and honesty myself, so that's easy for me to appreciate. Looking back, I've laughed at myself and my erroneous statements, and at how I had a handful of things backwards when I definitely "know better", so thanks for correcting me when I needed it.

I actually have 5 packs of the Mazari from the reproduction run, that I plan to do the same with as Roms has been. I'm torn between a large open-pollination first, or just looking for the best out of the packs and beginning the IBL process with a cluster of males.

In either case, I'd like to find and isolate the genetics that are headier, more euphoric or more mind-opening as opposed to anything that would, these days, be referred to as 'couchlock' or 'stoned'.. That's why I've been following Roms project here.

Do you have very much experience with the expressions in the reproduction run? I'm curious as to what might be found, been wondering which population might be more prevalent between the two sides of the effects.

I remember reading somewhere, can't remember where though, that the quality of the hashish coming out of Afghanistan had changed over the years, and that the finer quality had become harder and harder to find; that the finer quality had been more 'sativa' in effect than what Westerners would call an 'indica' - that a majority of the hashish had gone from a mind-based high to a body-based high... is there any truth to that?

In either case, where might you say the majority of this MIS population falls in this sativa/head - to - indica/body sort of scale?

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
to be honest, I think the probabilty of Mazar-i-Sharif being a hybrid with a Kerala strain is very, very, very low to nonexistent

It is your point of view man no problem and i don't understand why you would be honest for that? Hey i don't say that Kerala is the ancestor of MIS, Kerala is simply one of the best and famous Indian cultivar since longtime. And MIS is a longtimer strain, older than you and me reunited.

(...) re. your speculation about Nuristan:

add to that, Nuristan and Kunar have been hardcore Islamist regions since the 1950s... they don't afaik have a reputation for cultivating cannabis... they definitely do have a reputation for militant Salafism
So your Nuristani historic point of view doesn't exceed 67 years old ? Well i think it is too poor for me to debate more with ya, i am not a blablabla man with time to explain things that you can not understand sorry. There's levels of consciousness and i don't think we are on the same bubbles... U are a seed importer without own culture and experience of your seeds and i am a seeds grower with good experience of culture. You refer to current books or theories and it seems to me that your mind does not fly higher, but you went there and had meet and thanks people like many others travellers. For example do you know the name of the farmer with whom you had the MIS seeds first import? Have you drunk tea with him and discussed your plans to sell their seeds? I think about Mriko for example who shared tons of seeds for free btw!

Well I don't think that books or modern historic theories have the real truth of things, since 67 years, 670, 6700 or 67 000 years!

So if you have good botanic informations from your new Mazari reproductions (shame they are no longer landrace, just few individus IBL without real selection for sale!^^) your are welcome but without greenz or real facts sit down please! No need blabla darkhole here... The myth simply doesn't need you to collapse or not man. Let the rockers play their sound or move! I just grow, think and share my experience and vibes, no mythology just mysticism! ;)

@Coughie to Ngakpa
Do you have very much experience with the expressions in the reproduction run? I'm curious as to what might be found, been wondering which population might be more prevalent between the two sides of the effects.
I think your "high" angle of view must be focused on the presence of THCV or not! Vibes Coughie bonne suite and good luck! :smoke:

CannaZen

Greetings,

Thank you ngakpa i think you've been very clear.

I hope you dont mind if i may chime into this but i feel the distinction of the origin between indica sativa cannabis has been confused when agreement can be had about the two as an happening, together seen from a single spectrum.

Traditionally harvested when fully ripe to over-ripe, sometimes even as late as first half of December in the brutal Central Asian winter, Mazar-i-Sharif plants will enjoy cold conditions, including snow, and will turn a deep blood red in low temperatures. Expert hashish producers favour leaving harvest as late as possible.
I've just taken this from the ********** plant description.

Scientifically one may note the similarity between the characteristic plant descriptions, age old studies have linked the descent through the occurrence of propyl (3-carbon) derived hydrocarbons. Cannabivarin, also known as cannabivarol or CBV, is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid found in minor amounts in the hemp plant Cannabis sativa.
It has no double bond isomers nor stereoisomers.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm torn between a large open-pollination first, or just looking for the best out
of the packs and beginning the IBL process with a cluster of males.

You can do both if you take clones of every plant.

1. Use the seed plants to make your open pollination and take a clone from each one.
  2. While that is going on notice which ones are the best and save only those clones.
  3. Then and use the best clones to make your IBL after your open pollination seed run is done.

Sound easy enough. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts