What's new

Maximum watts for your setup?? Folks are worried.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Krunch I am of course very impressed with the size of the op you were running...but the OP made this thread so people that are running lots of watts ON THE GRID can be reassured that they are safe if they just pay the bill....your operation is really not relavant because after reading you had to keep the oven running all day to have a bill tells us that you were obviously not running the power on the grid. I am not accussing you of doing anything wrong or anything like that at all just saying that if you weren't paying the hydro company for the power then this really does nothing to reassure people if anything it shows that theres only so many lights you can run on the grid without attracing attention...people always hate on the cats who rip power but how you gonna run 50 plus lights in a residence without cutting some corners....

ok, fair enough, your right......

24k is the most i have run at a house, in those regards......

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your only running for your own needs 2k is plenty of juice without ever worrying about leo knocking. .

Useful Idiot

Veteran
I've been running 2000w - 2400w in a 2br home for almost 5years. Would be more if I had the space. I am looking to buy a 2nd home in the next 1-2 years. Then I will increase. 4000w is my personal limit, though I know people that have run 9-10kw for years (paying the electric, not bypassing the meter) although these setups were larger homes than my own. I've always been more scared of stealing electricity than growing weed.

600w is NOTHING to worry about. Like someone else said cover the smell, pay your bills on time, don't be a shady neighbor, and take care of your yard. My asshole used to pucker up every time I heard a helicopter. Now, I don't even worry about them. NEVER, EVER, EVER, throw away anything grow or weed related in your trash on the curb, EVER.
Yeah that,also agree with the NEVER steal elec.Thanks for the input.:tiphat:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^stealing is bad karma, and if the electric company finds out then you are busted. If you pay for it though then you are a good customer and they want to keep you around. I even heard of a guy from his electric company warning someone hear on ICMAG that the cops were there asking about his bills, and he knew why and thought it was wrong. That ICMAG member took everything down just in case and a week later his door was kicked in. but the cops had nothing. If I remember correctly, he he sued the cops for damages and they settled out of court

Useful Idiot

Veteran
^stealing is bad karma, and if the electric company finds out then you are busted. If you pay for it though then you are a good customer and they want to keep you around. I even heard of a guy from his electric company warning someone hear on ICMAG that the cops were there asking about his bills, and he knew why and thought it was wrong. That ICMAG member took everything down just in case and a week later his door was kicked in. but the cops had nothing. If I remember correctly, he he sued the cops for damages and they settled out of court
EXACTLY FOLKS....DO NOT STEAL ELECTRICITY!!!!

P

powerrobbie

ok, fair enough, your right......

24k is the most i have run at a house, in those regards......

Hahaa damn my man thats very impressive. Did they ever ask any questions? Thats sooo much juice theres not many legit reasons to be using that much power in a residence

G

gloryoskie

So I'm good with my 165 watts cfl.
I guess I should upgrade.

But keep it under 25,000 watts, natch.

F. Dupp

Veteran
I did 9k in a 4br house for 1 year. $2,300 per month in electricity. Halfway through I got fed up and jumped on the care program which brought the bill down to about $1,600 per month.
quote]

Wow, man.

I run slightly over 9k with all equipment included. $650 a month max.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
I did 9k in a 4br house for 1 year. $2,300 per month in electricity. Halfway through I got fed up and jumped on the care program which brought the bill down to about $1,600 per month.
quote]

Wow, man.

I run slightly over 9k with all equipment included. $650 a month max.

May I ask, you lived at this place too? Lucky dog you:)

I am $650.00 ..I ran 2kw flower / T5 for veg..but lots of other standard consumption for a family of 3.

One way I sort of made myself feel better, and this is probably completely noob. I was at CostCo, and I was looking at everyday appliances that were 1kw,2kw. Not sure why, but sort of woke me up in regards to " omg is 2kw going to get me fucked". I was completely ignorant in terms of kw's. Anyhow always pay that bill when it arrives.

Rowdy420

i've heard that a safe estimate you can run is 1K per bedroom and not get looked at. Personally I ran a 4K system with a chiller and veg at a two bedroom house for 2 years and never had any problems. My bills ran from $400 in the winter to $700 in the summer.

Good luck, Peace

T

Toes.

I don't run big lights, I'm an outdoors kinda fella. I veg with two 85 watt 5000k Satco cfls that give me 14,000 lumens... I mostly use them after August. I use the sun for flowering.

However, I may be able to contribute to this thread and help ease folks minds on wattage drawing attention.

this is a high end "gaming" computer power supply...
17-139-014-TS

that 1200 on the side means 1200 watts. It doesn't draw all 1200 all at once, all the time, but you get the idea.

600 750 even 1000 watt bulbs are nathan on the scale of power consumption, if the WOW kid next door is pulling 5k on a LAN party every two days... you have nothing to worry about.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
That would be a huge bill here in California.

Its not " huge" for California. In the summer in certain parts in SoCal, where its 105 in the days and 85-90 at night. I have seen bills that high. You factor in those McMansions during hot times and you are looking at 900 plus to 1500 bucks.

Where my folks live. Just now its cooling down to the low 80s.
So I guess it depends where ya live too.
Desert, coast, mountains. So, a " big bill" in Cali comment is just a generalization and not accurate.

Where im located,yes thats a huge bill for my area. But you go inland into the Valleys or Deserts. You need that AC cranked, its pretty normal.

:tiphat:

Useful Idiot

Veteran
May I ask, you lived at this place too? Lucky dog you:)

I am $650.00 ..I ran 2kw flower / T5 for veg..but lots of other standard consumption for a family of 3.

One way I sort of made myself feel better, and this is probably completely noob. I was at CostCo, and I was looking at everyday appliances that were 1kw,2kw. Not sure why, but sort of woke me up in regards to " omg is 2kw going to get me fucked". I was completely ignorant in terms of kw's. Anyhow always pay that bill when it arrives.
Nice input. Also most electric furnaces pull over 25,000 watts when fired up,some over 40,000. Also elec hot water tank pull about 2000 and is on alot keeping your water up to temp.

F

Fastcast

That's why I installed a timer on my water heater many years ago!Safe groing

Hey Useful

Hey Useful

What is the kilo/wat per hour charge? and do you have tiers there?.....what state?

Thats the killer here....starts out at 12/cents an hour....but you end up at 34/cents hour after about 5 days into the month...they only give us like 450 hours at the low rate....if you grow at all....with a decent setup....you will hit 4000 hours a month pretty easy....and that is a killer at the higest rate.

If you were referring to me.....I actually pay alot compared to the folks who live about 8 miles from me. The town to the east have their own elec co. so to speak.They buy blocks of power from major power co.The town must maintain the power and do maintenance and such. The majority of that area is considered total elec. Elec furnace,stove,pretty much everything is elec in the homes because of the super cheap elec cost.I have a relative there who pays around 60 dollars a month on the budget plan.EVERYTHING in her house is elec. no gas!! Makes me sick.

SS-

Hmm guys. Some people really just worry too much about electric bills to begin with. The 4br APARTMENT i live in has been consistently using 100-120kw per day, and there's nothing grow related going on here at all. Really there isn't. Just a lot of big screen TV's and custom PC's. Been here 4+ years with no knock on the door yet. Shit just imagine if there was a pool/jacuzzi lol.

Lol

Lol

I only worry....because I have to pay the bill:comfort:

Hmm guys. Some people really just worry too much about electric bills to begin with. The 4br APARTMENT i live in has been consistently using 100-120kw per day, and there's nothing grow related going on here at all. Really there isn't. Just a lot of big screen TV's and custom PC's. Been here 4+ years with no knock on the door yet. Shit just imagine if there was a pool/jacuzzi lol.