What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maximum Electrical Footprint

Picarus

the gavita controller works well and is worth it for any number of gavitas. I think the the el1 is like 250(?) or less, and replaces the mlc or whatever relay you use, acts as a brain, has auto shutdown temps and sunrise sunset to slowly power up the fixtures.
TO the original question. I was in a residence for years and our bills were up to 8k a month!!!! You guys have very little to worry about. You just gotta follow the other rules about the garden. No visitors, no trash from it in your reg trash, and no stink outside. Bill alone will not lead to anything other than you paying the bill.

I read using Gavita lights with the controller it prevents any inrush of current . no timers ,contacters needed.

Perfect! Well worth the investment I would reckon.

However, does this require electronic ballasts, and not allowing magnetic?

How about LED rigs with it?

TO the original question. I was in a residence for years and our bills were up to 8k a month!!!! You guys have very little to worry about. You just gotta follow the other rules about the garden. No visitors, no trash from it in your reg trash, and no stink outside. Bill alone will not lead to anything other than you paying the bill.

Thank you!

$8k or 8kwh or 8k watt of lighting?

Picarus

you need the e series of gavitas to match the el1 or el2. no other fixture works. $8k. Lived there for years, no problems.

oti$

I get a comparison with my bill and the average of my neighborhood every so often, mines usually at least double or a little more of those around me. Last year at a rental I had been doing some remodeling at for several months, I started a 6k grow and the bill jumped a few hundred bucks....I got a call from the electric co this time asking why I thought my power bill had increased and an offer for them to come and advise me how to make changes to save energy. I told them I recently bought a kiln and they agreed that that would make my bill jump, that was the last I heard anything about it.

Last edited:
you need the e series of gavitas to match the el1 or el2. no other fixture works.
That would be an ideal setup, if one's budget can support it.

$8k. Lived there for years, no problems.
Wowee, that's a beefy bill. I guess these things are very situationally dependent. All one can do is ensure the "No smell, No tell, No stray evidence" policy, and hope for the best when it comes to the mysterious electrical company.

coldcanna

Veteran
First rule is always pay your bill on time so nobody is pulling up your account any more than necessary. Second is take care of all other security factors, electricity bill alone can't get cops INSIDE your house but it might get them driving by so don't do anything stupid and obvious.

First rule is always pay your bill on time so nobody is pulling up your account any more than necessary. Second is take care of all other security factors, electricity bill alone can't get cops INSIDE your house but it might get them driving by so don't do anything stupid and obvious.

Good point on the cop. How do they build a case against suspected home growers?

Do they follow private investigtaor style? :abduct:

Jhhnn

Veteran

I suspect you're right, that power consumption is a secondary indicator to the cops. First, they notice something else or get tipped off. Next they go to the power company. After that they snurfle around until they find or fabricate probable cause for a warrant w/ power usage just being part of the puzzle.

I remember reading here about a guy in Canada who drew their attention because his place didn't have any snow on the roof like the rest of the neighborhood & the house was sweating along with every window being totally blacked out. When they checked the (enormous) power bill it became obvious.

Smart meters put a whole new spin on it because they can track usage patterns rather than just total consumption, even identify the type & timing of devices being switched off & on. Even the gavita controller develops a distinct power profile they can recognize once they know what it is. Given that it's all compiled into a database they can even develop programming to analyze every customer's usage pattern, automagically put out a list according to whatever parameters they want.

If you're on the grid they can figure it out if they set their minds to it.

Hell, letting the orangey-pink glow of HPS lamps escape at all is a dead giveaway because almost nobody uses 'em for anything but growing.

Odor control is more important than nit picking how many watts you are using.

I would start small, and slowly work your way up. That's the "safest" way.

hup234

ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe get an electric car charging station for your house then start lights on when you get home from work

coldcanna

Veteran
I had a buddy from Cali- he was telling me that whenever they set up a new spot they'd go find a shit ton of old computers and electronics and set them up in the garage, go nuts using the power for a month or 2 and if the power company or cops asked they'd say they had an electronics repair company and used a lot of power and they were clear from then on.

qupee

I suspect you're right, that power consumption is a secondary indicator to the cops. First, they notice something else or get tipped off. Next they go to the power company. After that they snurfle around until they find or fabricate probable cause for a warrant w/ power usage just being part of the puzzle.

That needs emphasis. 6x the average power use (in reality about double), blinds on windows are often closed, and plant material in trash (there was not). Boom, raid.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
A good rule back in the day was 1k of light per bedroom. I don't know if that is still the case today. With all the massive TVs, computers, entertainment systems, and smart phones that people use so much now it makes you wonder about electrical usage.

-Funk

Latest posts

Latest posts