What's new

maximizing yield. 2gpw?

FDae

2gpw is my goal, before I sold my shit and moved away last second in hopes of keeping my freedom, I never got a real number from my last grow. Id like to think it was around 1gpw, it was a 600w setup last time....

aaaaaaanyways, back at it again planning out the materials needed and im going to step it up to 1000w, maybe a little more. so ill ask a few questions here and ill see if any experienced growers care to comment. alright,
1) if considering using 1000watts, what would you do:
a) overhead horizontal single bulb
b) vertical single bulb
c) overhead 4x250watts

2) if looking for an exotic high yield strain, whats your choice? (ive got a few in mind, I want to see if they come up though)

3) light cycles, ive seen/read about people altering the 12/12 18/6 schedules to trick the plant into getting "a few more hours per day" and having mixed results. its almost my understanding that more light = more bud but if you overdo it, you can cause more damage than good

I think thats all for now anyways, unless you think theres a few little tricks you wish to share (different nutes vs different ppm ratings etc) I know how to make it grow just fine, im looking for some optimization tricks

L

lysol

How many plants? High plant count I would think to go vert.

I've vegged a plant for 24/0 for months the only adverse affects were 3 weeks to flower from the months of built up hormones from the 4 months straight light. I hear 20/4 is the most efficient. 24/0 is probably the most efficient for the first week to week and a half of veg.

I have no comment on getting 2gpw though, I'm all ears though as well.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
so you pulled around 21 zips with a 600 on your last go around? Nice numbers.

I think the easiest would be to sog, less hassle than a scrog. You just need to water more is all and have a higher plant count. I would setup one of those beer bong style funnel setups and use that to water the plants unless you are playing hydro.

I would just sog with that 1k as close as possible, nice fan keeping things moving and nutes as long as they need them. Or better yet 2 600's in the same space but then people will say why not 2 1k's in the same area and then that never ends lol.

2 grams per watt, that is a goal to shoot for indeed. Building a new box myself and can't wait to test it out for a few runs to see what methods produces the more medicine. I am just looking for 1 gram per watt with this 600 watt box build I am doing and will be more than happy if I hit the 1gpw especially being a new setup.

I was going to scrog but then you have to deal with the maintenance of the whole thing, with sog you just pack them in and keep them fed and thats about it. Plus building only the single colas you end up with less popcorn than a scrog.

I would personally go for 2 x 600w a light per meter squared put 9x 10l pots in a square formatiom veg your plants until there 20inch from the pot & top em let em veg still until they bush out so that only foliage is visible!.

Tip. Leave your girls in the dark for 36hours and then straight into 12/12 this resets the plants body clock so it flowers straight away. Good luck

Mr.Jones

2gpw is my goal, before I sold my shit and moved away last second in hopes of keeping my freedom, I never got a real number from my last grow. Id like to think it was around 1gpw, it was a 600w setup last time....

aaaaaaanyways, back at it again planning out the materials needed and im going to step it up to 1000w, maybe a little more. so ill ask a few questions here and ill see if any experienced growers care to comment. alright,
1) if considering using 1000watts, what would you do:
a) overhead horizontal single bulb
b) vertical single bulb
c) overhead 4x250watts

2) if looking for an exotic high yield strain, whats your choice? (ive got a few in mind, I want to see if they come up though)

3) light cycles, ive seen/read about people altering the 12/12 18/6 schedules to trick the plant into getting "a few more hours per day" and having mixed results. its almost my understanding that more light = more bud but if you overdo it, you can cause more damage than good

I think thats all for now anyways, unless you think theres a few little tricks you wish to share (different nutes vs different ppm ratings etc) I know how to make it grow just fine, im looking for some optimization tricks

you need to go vertical (very hard to do 2gr./w horizontal), only 600w because those are the most effecient, chronic, critical mass, pot of gold (strains)... , lots of experience and so on!
its not impossible ... but well you gonna need some time

Standaman

Ah what happened to anything is possible? You have ruined the guys dream now!!

I'm sure it's not impossible, someone must be hitting them numbers?

FDae

so you pulled around 21 zips with a 600 on your last go around? Nice numbers.

I think the easiest would be to sog, less hassle than a scrog. You just need to water more is all and have a higher plant count. I would setup one of those beer bong style funnel setups and use that to water the plants unless you are playing hydro.

I would just sog with that 1k as close as possible, nice fan keeping things moving and nutes as long as they need them. Or better yet 2 600's in the same space but then people will say why not 2 1k's in the same area and then that never ends lol.

2 grams per watt, that is a goal to shoot for indeed. Building a new box myself and can't wait to test it out for a few runs to see what methods produces the more medicine. I am just looking for 1 gram per watt with this 600 watt box build I am doing and will be more than happy if I hit the 1gpw especially being a new setup.

I was going to scrog but then you have to deal with the maintenance of the whole thing, with sog you just pack them in and keep them fed and thats about it. Plus building only the single colas you end up with less popcorn than a scrog.

I dont want to get into the details, but lots was lost too. based on what we trimmed before I up and moved away, it was heading for a solid 1gpw.

as for power consumption, at what point does power inlet start drawing attention?

what about using a single 1000watter for everything, and then throwing in a few 2700k cfls that come on only for flowering? (running the 1000 too)

what about watering schedules? lots of little auto sprays per day, or one good spray a day? skip a day? or two? when I go buy my groceries and im in the vege section, they have auto sprayers that come and spray a fine mist onto them. think something like that, but half second sprays every X minutes?

just brainstorming here, a 10% increase in gpw is 10% increase pocket weight ;)

Ah what happened to anything is possible? You have ruined the guys dream now!!

I'm sure it's not impossible, someone must be hitting them numbers?

yes, and not only once

FDae

because when you think about it, 10000 dollars if sold by the gram isnt much on a monthly basis if its taking you~3months to grow. of course its not my only job, but the risk needs to be worthwhile. when you start talking about a 10-25% increase (or even 100% increase!!) were talking 300-800 more dollars a month. most people dont think about things this way. but this is where you start getting into efficiency. 1gpw I think should be typical. or 0.9 or so. a 4cyl motor will go further than an 8cyl will for the same amount of input/gasoline.

as for mine, the structure can house 21 plants, roughly 6 feet tall only, but its not complete, it could be made taller and change to vertical easily.

which leads me to my next question:
more plants per sq meter or more light per sq meter? ie, stuff 21 plants in there with the a 1000w or space 12 out and use the same 1000watter?
or stuff 42plants in there with a vertical setup? (well maybe not 42..)

[edit]
this just came to me, we know that 'the book' says 12/12 to grow. 50% of a day. has ANYONE tried 1/1 12x a day? sounds silly, but im curious now. or if staying on the 50% of a day, what about tricking the plant into getting an extra hour or two a day? 12.5/12.5 so your switching time will change each part of the day, but according to the plant which has no sense of linear time (I would think..) wouldnt notice the difference in 30 extra minutes per cycle?

boroboro

Why not increase the amount of light? If I was growing with 600-1000 watts, already in the neighborhood of 1 gram/watt, and wanted more yield, I would increase lights and space way before worrying about exotic growing methods.

Or plant a few outside....

E

Elcap

My understanding (I'm a science type, but not a botanist) is that Flowering is triggered by a build up of a plant hormone that is light sensitive/broken down during lights-on. For it to accumulate sufficiently in plants for them to flower, you need roughly 12hrs or more of darkness, otherwise it is broken down to levels below those needed to flower. Strains will vary.

So the question you face with funky lighting schedules is: Will the dark period(s) be enough to ensure that the flowering hormonal levels are kept high enough ensure continued flowering and not a reversion to veg.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
lol 2gpw? never heard or seen it done, i get about .5gpw with no co2 1000w about 16 plants per light 5 gal pots, in the hydro sog with about 48 plants under 2 1000w i get about 600grams per light.

Mr.Jones

heath robinson pulled 2.5gr./w with one of his systems i read (but that guy is sick) ... 1gr./w is already pretty good but going from there up to 2gr./w you must have some serious skill and system going :nanana:

if you have enough money and enthusiasm i might even would take a look at the omega garden ... the company is claiming that the plants hanging down in the omega garden get the juice from the roots straight pumped into their leaves ...

FDae

heath robinson pulled 2.5gr./w with one of his systems i read (but that guy is sick) ... 1gr./w is already pretty good but going from there up to 2gr./w you must have some serious skill and system going :nanana:

if you have enough money and enthusiasm i might even would take a look at the omega garden ... the company is claiming that the plants hanging down in the omega garden get the juice from the roots straight pumped into their leaves ...

no if I had enough money, id be doing a roto gro

FDae

vert sog or scrog using AC, CO2, and a 600 on a vertical light mover....even then I doubt you would get close to 2g/w.

are there any really good articles or anything specific to read up on about using co2? never used it before, but on the 600w last time, around the half way point of harvesting I had 250g's, thats when I ditched that city

and lastly, where does one find a thousand watt bulb in bulb form, to use for a vert grow? theres even zero headshops where I live

L

lysol

Electrical supply shops in the industrial zone, electrical contractors shop there, they sell hps and mh for fair prices, might need to make up a company name and cover story

FDae

heres my current plan:

use a tall cylinder (6-8 feet tall)
line the inside with a mesh-like material
place 2 600w hps bulbs in the center (to simulate one large bulb). now up to 1200watts
built in wall-ac unit, bottom inlet (through air flters) and a carbon filtered exhaust through the top (heat rises anyways)
you can place 8 plants around like a stop sign inside this cylinder. you can probably also do 4 different levels of height before maxing out the top (or atleast 3)
can pump water up to the plants to feed the roots, but this system wont allow an auto sprayer or anything.

now if anyone can give me some solid reading literature on co2 I will promise to document my entire build. what am I looking for here? a co2 tank? if so, where do I refill them? and how much concentration? I should feed it near the air filters so the ac units fan blows it around with the air? I intend to have a thermostat control the compressor part of the ac unit and leave the fan on low and use that to circulate air (low moves lots of air)

when you turn the bulbs off would you turn off the fans too? maybe feed co2 in then?

I could house 32 plants in a cylinder and feed it 1200watts. should we take bets on how close I get to 2gpw? im not saying I will, but I should be able to get more than 1 for sure!! its all about efficiency, not fighting nature.

if you had 1200w worth of hps, would you ever throw in a few cfls at certain times? I hear different color temperature affect different parts of growth

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
FDae

Most grow stores offer CO2 tanks where you bring in your empty tank and exchange it for a full tank like you might do with a BBQ propane tank.

I'm not sure what they charge for this. A CO2 generator might prove to be more cost effective - but I really don't know.

HTH

CC

L

lysol

Most grow stores offer CO2 tanks where you bring in your empty tank and exchange it for a full tank like you might do with a BBQ propane tank.

And if they dont do it there they can sell you the tank and tell you where to go to get it filled ( lots of businesses need to get their co2 )