What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

maxibloom alone as lucas formula?

*mistress*

Veteran
protekt is very concentrated.
only 1/2 tsp/gal provide 50ppm silicon (what plantys genrally prefer) - every watering.
if give too much to solution, can easily go over 7.0ph!...

also, 1/4 tsp/liter excellent foliar spray.

should notice woodier stem & thicker shoots. also increases cell wall strength &

should increase ph. good to add to solution last, then adjust ph...

found that ph 5.0-5.5 (input) provide best results w/ water soluble ferts (dry). keeps micro-nutrients (esp iron) in solution & avaialable to plantys. they seem prefer slightly acid environment. also, due to 90% nitrate content of h!dr0-tyoe n in ferts, ph rises once cec occurs... checking media & run-off against input ph-over 24-36hrs=:yes:...
this may be helpful:
Managing the Root Zone in Soilless Culture
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=3132632&postcount=144

so... usually adjust ph down - using ordinary distilled white vinegar.
good point about vinegar (dist white) is that it does not add any nutrients to the mix...
if make 5 gal of solution, 2-3 tsp distilled white vinegar capable dropping ph to 5.0 (ideal for lady gardener)...

...?...
curious why would desire ph-up?
what is the ph-target & why?

ej bloom also work for ph-down, very small amount.

Last edited:
G

Guest 18340

...?...
curious why would desire ph-up?
what is the ph-target & why?

ej bloom also work for ph-down, very small amount.

My tap is off the charts ph wise, highest reading I can acheive using ph drops is dark green, which is 8+.
When I add Maxibloom at 1 tsp/gal, ph drops 'round 5. I'm in coco so I adjust, with ph up, to 6.
Once I add the Maxi, nothing else moves the ph value. If I add powder kb or any other boosters, ph still needs to be raise almost 1 full point.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey bro I use the same ph drop kit and I'm also in coco as you know and I've found the ph of 5.5-5.8 piss yellowish orange works best not quite yellow - 6.0 and not quite orange - 5.0 and that's what's worked for me the best...

toohighmf

Veteran
I'm just spitballin here, but maybe PH at different temps creating more or less oxygen has something to do with precipitation... think how plants themselves lock out minerals. it too is on an ionic level.
Evlme2's PH is (I suspect) acidic. or low. I'm gonna go on a limb here and guess he's at 5-5.2 at the 80F solution temps, and the fact that he drains to waste, the low ph & high temps buffer the solution from precipitating. I wonder how a recirculating system would handle 80f solution w/o serious oxygenation.

From wiki answers.com

"In the soil nutrients bond to soil/ colloidal particles; in hydroponics there is no soil only a volume of liquid. As the medium is liquid the individual chemical elements are more or less free to move and are exposed to other elements are a much greater rate than what they would be in the soil. This results in chemical bonding, some of the new products formed are insoluble in water (unless the pH and temperature are manipulated); these are normally heavier and precipitate to the bottom of the mixing/ storage tanks.

For this reason some nutrients are only added to the solution just prior to use so that they do not precipitate out (Iron/ Fe being one of them)."

G

Guest 18340

Hey bro I use the same ph drop kit and I'm also in coco as you know and I've found the ph of 5.5-5.8 piss yellowish orange works best not quite yellow - 6.0 and not quite orange - 5.0 and that's what's worked for me the best...
Curious, you using city water or RO? I'm going to transition to RO water, or at least 50/50 tap/RO.

From wiki answers.com

"In the soil nutrients bond to soil/ colloidal particles; in hydroponics there is no soil only a volume of liquid. As the medium is liquid the individual chemical elements are more or less free to move and are exposed to other elements are a much greater rate than what they would be in the soil. This results in chemical bonding, some of the new products formed are insoluble in water (unless the pH and temperature are manipulated); these are normally heavier and precipitate to the bottom of the mixing/ storage tanks.

For this reason some nutrients are only added to the solution just prior to use so that they do not precipitate out (Iron/ Fe being one of them)."
Droppin' knowledge toohighmf! I see little iron shards in the bottom of my rez when it's empty. Barely a dusting, but I see it.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I see little iron shards in the bottom of my rez when it's empty. Barely a dusting, but I see it.
Curious.... do you have a mag-drive pump? That would pull the iron out of suspension as well. Not much, but you'd notice. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

toohighmf

Veteran
good call on the mag drive. makes me wonder what is metallic at the bottom of Evlme2's res. Do you use metallic duct or "foilon" style reflective? stuff gets old, rots and breaks off, and fans blow it all over. you usually will find em in your nugs and on foliage too if that's the case. so if its only in the res, it really makes me wonder what's precipitating.

*mistress*

Veteran
maybe try adjusting ph down to 5.0-5.5 (input).
seem to keep ph from rising over 5.8 or so in media...

Last edited:
G

Guest 18340

Curious.... do you have a mag-drive pump? That would pull the iron out of suspension as well. Not much, but you'd notice. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:
Good call indeed, I have 2 Mag drives sitting in my rez.

good call on the mag drive. makes me wonder what is metallic at the bottom of Evlme2's res. Do you use metallic duct or "foilon" style reflective? stuff gets old, rots and breaks off, and fans blow it all over. you usually will find em in your nugs and on foliage too if that's the case. so if its only in the res, it really makes me wonder what's precipitating.
I keep my rez well covered so nothing gets in. I thought the very same thing at first, maybe some foil is getting blown in. But then I read somewhere that a Mag pump will cause a little Iron fallout.
Damn you guys are good!:yes::yes:

i grow

Hi all,
I run dwc and was wondering if the 1 tsp per gallon would work in dwc?if anyone can let me know it would be greatly appreicated.

dgr

i grow,
Lucas developed his formula for DWC.

Here's a quote from Lucas:
"here is the concept behind feeding, that I think applies equally to ALL growing styles

0-8-16 in the root zone, which has a TDS of ~1300 is good for all roots

In EbbFlow, DWC, and constant drip, there is little nutrient accumulation in the root zone. All those systems are essentially constantly bathed in nutes, so the systems are not accumulating nutes the way that happens in a pot of soil."

i grow,
Lucas developed his formula for DWC.

Here's a quote from Lucas:
"here is the concept behind feeding, that I think applies equally to ALL growing styles

0-8-16 in the root zone, which has a TDS of ~1300 is good for all roots

In EbbFlow, DWC, and constant drip, there is little nutrient accumulation in the root zone. All those systems are essentially constantly bathed in nutes, so the systems are not accumulating nutes the way that happens in a pot of soil."

ive found the magic is in the 8/16 not the 6/9 ratio, just what ive noticed.

dgr

Iwanna,
You running DWC or Coco? I think 8/16 is too hot for coco. Even 6/9 will show nitrogen toxicity in some strains without a weekly flush. But that's ebb and flow coco.

watts

ohms
Veteran
i've heard of the lucas formula being 8/16 and 5/10

I'm running coco and want to use Maxibloom but how many grams is closer to the 5/10 or 6/9 nutrient profile? 7 grams of maxibloom has twice the amount of K the 6/9 recipie. Seems really high for coco.

Edit: didn't mean to post it in this thread but maybe someone knows.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Coco holds some of the nutrients so your ppm is going to be a bit higher than what you're currently feeding. Not much, but it's noticeable enough that the same strain might run 100-200ppm lower in coco than hydro.

0-5-10 is for flowering under low-level lighting such as Fluorescent lighting and has always been recommended by Lucas as such.

0-8-16 is what Lucas pushed as a baseline profile of nutrients that generally worked acceptably with all strains of cannabis... with minimal tweaking. 7 grams of MaxiBloom gives you 'almost' the same profile as 0-8-16

0-6-9 is a formula developed by H3ad for running Lucas in coco with their local tapwater... Some people need to add epsom salts, some don't.

Personally I ran about 3/4ths of a tsp of MaxiBloom in coco and had comparable results to a decent hydro run, nothing spectacular without tweaking. The one run I did with 0-6-9 in coco showed that it would need more tweaking to be workable in my situation. Results were not as good as MaxiBloom.

If you want exact numbers on your question you'll have to have someone mix up 5/10, 6/9 and various grams of MB and post the results.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

I know this is an old thread and all but does anyone have an add back calculator for Maxibloom or perhaps someone can let me know the EC of one gallon or litre RO water mixed with one gram of Maxibloom and I can do the rest.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Latest posts