What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

maxibloom alone as lucas formula?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
From the limited anecdotal reports available, 6.5 - 7g maxibloom per gallon of water is supposed to be close to the Mel Frank ratios (100-200-200-60 NPKMg):

The nutrient profiles used during this project varied according to Mel Frank's recommendations for both moderate and strong light gardens. It was discovered that using 250ppm N during the growth stage produced no faster growth nor higher yields than using the 100ppm N found in his flowering profile (the one highlighted red in the For Flowering section below), and that the same flowering profile could also be used during the first two weeks of growth. It became apparent that using growth stage as a prerequisite for managing a cannabis crop's nutrient profile was not only overstated, but strengths and profiles were overstated as well. While this may not be the case with other hydroponically grown crops such as tomatoes, it does suggest that cannabis has simpler needs than many people and fertilizer manufactures advocate. In fact, using his 100N-100P-200K-60Mg flowering profile for all stages of growth with just three reservoir changes produced the same yields as twelve reservoir changes and stronger profiles did. Doing less and using less produced the same results as doing more and using more.

I thought this was what lucas was based on, but it doesn't look like 6.5-7g maxibloom gives this ratio. Am I wrong?

indifferent

Veteran
Lucas isn't a proper formula, it's just a way of using GH 3-part. It can't be applied to other nutes, it's GH3-part only.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Yes, it's a recipe for Mel Frank's ratio using 3-part GH, but there is a belief that 6.5-7g maxibloom fits that ratio. I don't think this is the case.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I think it's real close but not exact. I could be wrong. I think that the amount of difference is not a big deal... "close enough to lucas"

feel me. Dongle put me on to the 1tsp=L

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I think it's real close but not exact. I could be wrong. I think that the amount of difference is not a big deal... "close enough to lucas"

feel me. Dongle put me on to the 1tsp=L

1 tsp/liter? I thought it was 1 tsp/gallon?

G

Guest 18340

1 tsp/gal of Maxibloom is damn near the exact Lucas formula/ratio. Like one Q, it is an insignificant difference. dongel69 broke it down for someone in her thread, or if you're handy with a nutrient calculator you can figure it out for yourself.
1 tsp=7g=Lucas formula. I've measured it and weighed it out, and it's what I use exclusively.
It works just as good as the Lucas formula, look thru my gallery and my C99BX thread in Mosca's forum if you'd like to see pics of what 1 tsp/gal of Maxibloom and tap water can do. Also, the pic if Mosca's ads for the C99BX was my plant. She was grown with nothing but Maxibloom and tap.
Mind you, because I use tap water I do not ever get cal/mag def's and i never have to use Cal/mag.
Here's a link for you, www.lucasformula.com
Theirs other links at the bottom of that page that are worth checking out.

Last edited:

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Lucas isn't a proper formula, it's just a way of using GH 3-part. It can't be applied to other nutes, it's GH3-part only.

specific elemental ppms can be reached with any nutrient (or combination of) with a listed NPK. You are spreading incorrect information. Please dont post about things you obviously dont understand.

*mistress*

Veteran
1oo-1oo-2oo-6o target w/ mAxI

1oo-1oo-2oo-6o target w/ mAxI

gh maxibloom 5%n-15%p-14%k-3.5%mg-5.0%ca
@ 5 grams/gal (1 tsp):
n-66
p-86
k-154
mg-46
ca-66
fe-1.3
s-53
@ 7.5 g/gal (1 1/2 tsp/gal):
n-99
p-130
k-230
mg-69
ca-99
fe-1.9
s-79

gh maxigro 10-5-14-2-6:
@ 5 grams (1 tsp/gal):
n-132
p-29
k-154
mg-26
ca-79
fe-1.2
s-40
@ 7.5 g (1 1/2 tsp/gal):
n-198
p-43
k-230
mg-40
ca-119
fe-2.3
s- 59

epsom salts 10% mag 13% sulfur 0-0-0-0-10(mg)-13(s)
:

1/2 tsp (2.5g)
mg-66 ppm
s-86 ppm
@1/4 tsp epsom salts (1.25g):
mg-33 ppm
s-43 ppm

1 tsp maxibloom (5 g)
+
1/2 tsp maxigro (2.5 g) per 1 gal water:

n-132 - see target n-100
p-100 - see target p-100
k-231 - see target k-200
mg-59 - see target mg-60
ca-106
fe-1.2

s-73
maybe fill container 'b' 1/2 w/ warm water. pour in y-amount of maxigro (1/2 tsp)...
step 3.

fill remainder of containers w/ warm water. agitate, shake. let settle. agitate, shake more... this is to thoroughly dissolve all salts.
step 4.
pour 1/2 part 'a' & 1/2 part 'b' into separate container. this is the final nutrient solution, w/ the profile as listed above.
step 5.
adjust ph.

end.
unfortunately, many of the original og/cw threads are lost... has come thru long line - from m.frank to pH :)respect:) to now 'Lucas-formula':)... developed (by many) in part to reduce res changes from dozen or more to 0-3 for entire cycle...
even in original threads there was room for +/- of this/that, depending on amount of light given to plants, rh, temps, media used, etc...

1 tsp=~5 grams
1/2 tsp=~2.5 grams

hope this helps.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
1 tsp/gal of Maxibloom is damn near the exact Lucas formula/ratio. Like one Q, it is an insignificant difference.
I use nothing but RO and don't get deficiencies either..... It's all in there. The correct pH seems to help dramatically though... it all depends on your setup/system/methods of using it. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

toohighmf

Veteran
listen to evlme2. his buds speak for themselves. who gives a rats ass if it's not exactly lucas? do your plants know? probably not likely.

*mistress*

Veteran
generally desire cal:mag ratio 2:1-5:1...
difficult to get w/ maxib alone...

the cal in both maxigro & maxibloom is small amount.
they make it that manner so not have precipitation when mixed in water.
also why warm water good to mix in. note the sediment fall to the bottom if use cold water. that may be un-available calcium, or iron, if ph too high...

for best results, feed cal-nit separately. no chance of precip or lockout.

cal-nit @ 1/2 tsp (2.5 g):
n-100
ca-125

if not cal-nit, some other cal-mag, magical, etc... fed separately, to make cal get thru w/out any antagonism, etc...
:2cents:

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
listen to evlme2. his buds speak for themselves. who gives a rats ass if it's not exactly lucas? do your plants know? probably not likely.

I only began thinking about it because I'm experiencing deficiencies left and right. Ordered a new pH meter so let's see if that fixes it!

Thanks *mistress* - I usually mix maxi in warm water and add to the rest of the solution. I don't use Maxigro though, only bloom (for veg + flower.)

G

Guest 18340

I use nothing but RO and don't get deficiencies either..... It's all in there. The correct pH seems to help dramatically though... it all depends on your setup/system/methods of using it. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:
I've gone as far as 50/50 tap/ro without issue. You're always on top of things Hydro-Soil, if you say straight RO will work, I believe it.
An RO system is in the plans...

Thanks for the props toohighmf!

generally desire cal:mag ratio 2:1-5:1...
difficult to get w/ maxib alone...

the cal in both maxigro & maxibloom is small amount.
they make it that manner so not have precipitation when mixed in water.
also why warm water good to mix in. note the sediment fall to the bottom if use cold water. that may be un-available calcium, or iron, if ph too high...

for best results, feed cal-nit separately. no chance of precip or lockout.

cal-nit @ 1/2 tsp (2.5 g):
n-100
ca-125

if not cal-nit, some other cal-mag, magical, etc... fed separately, to make cal get thru w/out any antagonism, etc...
:2cents:
Not sure what you're talking about *mistress*, cause nothing precips from my mix and def's are a none issue. And Hydro-Soil uses straight RO and he's not experiencing any probs either. Can you explain?
All I can say to the original poster, Yes Maxibloom can be used as a Lucas "ratio". It works perfectly right outta the bag.:tiphat:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran

That's wrong since I did all the calculations for Cutting Edge Solutions 3part and was able to copy the Head / Rez mix 6/9 and mine comes out to 6/10 and is VERY close... That calculator is for all nutrient companies from my understanding...

C

Carl Carlson

Not sure what you're talking about *mistress*

I've said it many times, the reefkeepers collectively have us beat when it comes to understanding water.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/calcalkmar.htm

The Marble Analogy

Fact: it is only possible to dissolve so many solids into a given volume of water (calcium, carbonates, and everything else). At the risk of oversimplifying the dynamic, imagine a bowl that holds one hundred marbles representing the total dissolved solids in seawater in a given system. If red marbles represented calcium, and blue marbles represented carbonates (alkalinity), the bowl can still only hold one hundred marbles no matter what mix of color they are. Now, if seventy marbles were the equivalent of 400-ppm calcium and the remaining marbles were blue, the only way to increase calcium would be to displace alkalinity (to remove blue marbles). In troubled systems, the misapplication of calcium supplements (dosing suddenly or to excess) is known to cause a sudden precipitation of carbonates (the alkalinity falls/crashes) that is commonly referred to as a “snowstorm”. It is instigated by the influx of a large or rapid amount of calcium entering the system that spikes the pH immediately surrounding carbonate molecules and causes a crystalline precipitation (fallout). In keeping with our analogy, a “snowstorm” would be like taking another bowl of one hundred red marbles (calcium) and trying to pour it into the original bowl of mixed, colored marbles (balanced calcium and alkalinity). The result is the displacement of all blue marbles (carbonates/alkalinity) and the overflow of excess red marbles beyond the one hundred marble limit. The ramifications of this in an aquarium is a crash in water chemistry and water quality that cannot be corrected while the chemical reaction occurs. Dosing more supplements to try to correct the imbalance (or even doing a concurrent water change with hopes of dilution) will only serve to feed the chain reaction. Tragically, the “snowstorm” must be allowed to finish and an aquarium system is traumatized in the process.

To safely avoid dangerous imbalances in the Ca-Alk dynamic, aquarists simply need to avoid pushing either component to an extreme end or both simultaneously high. Instead, think of the relationship as a Hi-Lo situation within the safe ranges. Within the accepted ranges (350-450 ppm Ca and 8-12 dKH Alk), one parameter can be pushed to a high end while the other is allowed to stray toward the middle or lower end. Any reasonably mix of the two will still provide more than enough of both elements for successful calcification. More importantly, consistent levels of both are far more supportive of growth in calcareous organisms than the inconsistent but high average of either component otherwise. Many aquarists enjoy phenomenal growth in their reef creatures with rather modest Ca and Alk levels. Indeed, consistency with all aspects of aquatic husbandry is more conducive to success than random high points.​

ibjamming

Veteran
Nice post Carl...

The term is "saturation". You add more and more to the water and eventually the solution can't hold any more. Many things can cause the "snowstorm" it's simply whatever was saturating the solution falling out of suspension. It can be caused by many things including cooling.

I'm not a hydro guy...but I was thinking... Maybe people with constant Ph problems, problems with maintaining PPM, could be having these problems because they mix their solutions too strong during the heat of the day...and then at night, when the temps cool, the solution can't hold all those nutes and a "snowstorm" occurs, bringing everything down with it.

It always seems to be the guys adding all kinds of shit, pushing feeding to the upper edge, that have the worst problems. Maybe it's a problem with saturated solutions losing their ability to suspend these chemicals when the temps lower at night or lights off?

I'm pretty buzzed right now on some Apollo11...I could be rambling bullshit...but it seems possible. Anyone know for sure how strong nute solutions react to cold temps? Could that "shit" on the roots/in the reservoir people talk about, actually be precipitated nutes fallen out of suspension?

An inquiring mind would like to know...

Latest posts

Latest posts