What's new

mastiffs......

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
love my mastiff....#1 guard dawg....fools dont even walk on my side of the street....

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mastiffs are very good at noticing anything out of the ordinary, so coupled with a german shepard would be a good guard/protection dog couple.

rad.
i saw this post and went "yeah thats what i was thinking".

i have the german sheppard
my pops has the bull mastiff
still pups the mastiff is 6mos the shep is 4.5mos but they are already bigger than my bros 9mos boxer
and the sheppard is almost the size of the mastiff which is crazy i wasnt expecting this kind of size but his dad is 120lbs... hes gonna be a big sheppard

im about to bring the mastiff over for a few weeks to hang out with the sheppard to guard the cage while its finishing up and ripe for stealing. they are young but they have sharp teeth.

when all three are together i wouldnt want to trek into the yard...

but the boxer is a little wild hahaha

C

canavi

Actually the food bill for both dogs, the Dane and my Standard Poodle, ( Another really great dog, super smart easy to train and every bit as watchful as the Dane) is about 150.00 / month.
True, Danes unfortunately aren't generally long lived 7-9 yrs, I do have a buddy and his old Dane girl is 11, but she is showing her age.
Still all in all Danes make a great dog she sleeps lots and most of the time on the sofa as a couch potato. But at least once a day she has to run, we go out every day and she tears up the field next door,watching her run is poetry in motion.

hahaha, my basset hound is 15 a month in food.

I wish I had room for a big dog. Our two bedroom apartment doesn't have a yard.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
good and bad in all breeds mentioned above....most not worth feeding....so many variables to consider......

I have settled on the presa.......extremely atheletic and stable.......loves to grab me by the forearm and show whos in control.......but it's all in fun......

of course a good 'ol APBT is a quality choice.....smaller package that can make many a big dog whine into submission while the pit is just enjoying the job.....

hope ya find what your after...............

dawg on......

TheFlyinHaWyn!

The Mastiff/Large Dog Thread

The Mastiff/Large Dog Thread

As the title says, i wanted to start a thread pretty much about Mastiffs. i just got my first pretty much mastiff puppy (she is a 3 way cross between English, Italian and Bull) I am hesitant to put pictures up of her as HI is a small place, but i was thinking it would be good to see some nice large dog mastiff breeds in one spot. i also own a Dogo/Pits halfway cross and although i love pits, i have always wanted a mastiff.

so try not to let the drama creep into the thread, but if you are willing, put up some shots of your mastiff!! presas, dogos, canes, tibetans, americans, english, tosa and any of those i didn't mention are welcome.

i love my dogs, and this thread isn't about whose dog is bigger. it is a lover of large dog breeds thread, and please don't come in with hate, as i believe that hate is what you will get in return. aloha, and i look forward to seeing some of your big boys and girls :)

TheFlyinHaWyn!

hehe got moved here as my stoned ass didn't go searching for another mastiff thread. lets see some pix guys and gals! much talk but not vey many pix in this thread. i love dogos. a friend owned a few, i got a cross and he is my boy. forgot about some of the ones mentioned in this thread. originally i was going to try and get a tosa/english mix but the bitch didn't take, so instead found that 3-way mix. Bandogs welcome too, lets see um, i want to drool at your guys' dogs. mine is at 10 weeks and she is at about 22 pounds now. pulling more english/bull right now, but we shall see how it turns out. right on.

bunkerman

I remember those attacks in SF some years back. Those were presa's that were horribly inbred by some people using breeding as a front for some people locked up or some shit. Gimme a few and I'll see if I can find links.

But Bobby's right Presa's and Cane Corso's are in the Mastiff family, but a bit different than the English or Bull Mastiff that most are used to.

They are closer to bulldogs than mastiffs, but bulldogs are considered in the mastiff family as well. Corso's and Presa's are very similar. IMHO same dog, different location,(one Canary Islands, one Italy) lines taken in similar directions. One the butcher's dog, and the presa for guarding livestock. Both very dominant usually as Bobby stated.

To answer your question though, yes they make excellent guard/protection dogs but are kinda challenging for some as they are powerful breeds and they tend to know it. Also do tons of research and look for breeders with verifiable working lines for best results. Good luck on your search. :2cents::ying:

american bulldog scott line it's a fantastic working\guard dog, also a love with the childs.....presa is a bit too heavy(anyway a beautiful rustic dog...the most big heads that i've see..)and the corso in italy isn't from good selection:10 years ago was a dog fashion....really hard to find a good canecorso in italy

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
hey TFH.....

this pic is over a year old, but you can get the idea of what my Presa is like...he's 2+ yr's now...got him from CokesKennels...off PeeWee.....have since got a female off his Mamba stud.......also got a nice female from Noah at Sanderskennels off Fredo.........

look forward to breeding down the road IF they prove worthy/healthy......

if and when the time comes your more than welcome to a pup....just cover shippin'......

ganj on...........

Last edited:

Old Soul

Veteran
Cane Corso's are great guard/family dogs. They have a high working drive, are highly intelligent, and are very easy to train. They need a lot of exercise and a firm strong hand. They are very hard headed and will try to run the show if you do not establish pack order from the start. Even then they have a tendency to test authority from time to time. They are great with kids/family and have a natural guardian/protection instinct.

Presa Canario's are very similar in build but their tempermant is much different. The Presa was breed for fighting and from the research I have done they are not as good with children, and they can be slightly unpredictable at times. They do better with single owners who know how to handle strong willed dominant dogs. Again, these dogs need a lot of exercise so they do not become restless and destroy your home.

I have a Cane Corso, his name is Zeus and he just turned a yr old a week ago. He is great with my two young girls, very protective and aware at all times. Nothing gets past him, especially unattended food. lol I have a thread in the pets section with pics and there are more in my gallery if anyone is interested.

TheFlyinHaWyn!

brother Mtn, mahalo my friend for that bro! HI is so strict (which i think is good considering) that it is difficult to bring in dogs. there is a waiting period of like 6 months before dog can enter state. i would love one if shit ever turns out possible on this end brother, thank you!

i socialize my dogs but now that my boy is almost 3, he is not very dog friendly with others. great with puppies, good with humans, but i cant even let him play with his brother anymore now as they don't get along. i got her for him so he can have a playmate that wont piss him off too much. lol. aloha

G

Guest 150314

dogo x staffie

picture.php

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
here's a shot...........shoulda named him damien......
picture.php

he got much bigger than we thought....keep that in mind when trying to get a cane...............also what Old Soul said is spot on.......................

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
mastiff's = west virginia coon hounds..my dog's a great dane/west virgina coon hound mix..most unfriendly dog to strangers i ever owned..but he is very loving, loyal and protective to us and the cats..

herbalistRoots

22612404.jpg

bodhi.jpg

459663460m.jpg

Tibetan mastiff mom x German rottweiler dad

one week shy of 8 months as a tri paw! She had osteosarcoma in the femur so the best option was to remove the rear hind leg completely, she is only 6 y.o. & has already had 2 tplo surgeries after blowing both ACL. I've done no chemo or radiation just supplements. At 7 months i took her back for an x ray no sign of anything growing in the lungs the typical organ it spreads to. So don't believe a vet when they say the prognosis is only 6-12 if chemo & radiation follow an amputation. If anyone has any questions on what supplements work for cancer please feel free to contact me!

TheFlyinHaWyn!

alright greenmago, i have a dogopit cross also. cool. my girl is getting larger every day and i hardly can notice it but when i take her to the scale, she shows it there. she is at 15 weeks and is now 40 pounds. she is much more active than what i expected out of a mastiff. much more than her sister. she beats up my boy daily lol. at least she knows how to sit. shes a sweetie tho, i love her. gonna be abig fucker tho, i pity the fool that trys to step in uninvited lol