Veteran

you mastiff lovers are gonna dig this
if you haven't already seen it.......

[youtubeif]PuA6ZjpEJys[/youtubeif]

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hi there..
What dogs have you handled/lived with before, Do I understand correctly that this will be your first dog? I would definately not recommend any "heavy duty" dogs as a first dog.
I know someone with 2 corso, and believe, they are not a dog to be taken lightly, or taken on without being 100 percent prepared,aware and certain in your own ability to handle the dog. How big are you, I'm 5ft9 and weigh 10 stone soaking wet, and I can struggle to hold my Weimaraner if he suddenly decides to chase a bird or follow a scent or something and catches me by surprise.
If you havent had experience with something like a boxer or bully, or at least a large high energy working breed, I wouldnt go for a Corso or Presa Canario.
Any mastiff is a big dog to be out of control, but the more hardcore game types-the breeds which havent been softened up for showing purposes bring a whole new level of intensity to it, so you have got to KNOW that you will be able to train the dog and handle him, and that you can keep the dog in your property-flimsy fences will not cut it.
Sorry to be a downer, however if you really want a massive dog as the 1st, then an English mastiff from solid pet lines would probably be ok as a 1st dog, they are gentle giants on the whole.

MJBadger-I think you are confusing the Canario with the Dogo Argentino, the only banned breeds in the UK are, American Pit Bull Terrier(or dog that fits the "Pit-Bull type"), Fila Brasiliero, Dogo Argentino, and Japanese Tosa.

mrdizzle

I have a french and a neo mastiff, both are excellent guard dogs, impossible for them not to bark and any noise outside, and their barks are insane, not something someone would ever open a door to see

dusto2k3

Personally i`d leave Corsos & Canarias alone , there are better Mastiffs than those .
I believe the Canarias are banned as a breed in UK because of the unpredictability of the breed .
We have an English mastiff near us not quite 2yr old & massive , on his way to 250lb & as soft as butter & uses kids as pillows .
Nobody has mentioned Douge de Bordeaux , HOOCH made them famous , our favorite dog , we had a x of this breed & one of the loveliest dogs we`ve ever owned .

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=baf_1320166098

Ya, my DDB is an awesome dog. Nobody dares come close when he is
around. Though a gentle giant, his growl and bark are a decisive deterrent to anyone coming near his and his property. His grandfather won Westminster Best of Show 2009. He is great with my 3yo niece and gentle enough for my 85yo grandmother. The Dane is 1 week younger than the DDB and he is just the same.

Hi there..
What dogs have you handled/lived with before, Do I understand correctly that this will be your first dog? I would definately not recommend any "heavy duty" dogs as a first dog.
I know someone with 2 corso, and believe, they are not a dog to be taken lightly, or taken on without being 100 percent prepared,aware and certain in your own ability to handle the dog. How big are you, I'm 5ft9 and weigh 10 stone soaking wet, and I can struggle to hold my Weimaraner if he suddenly decides to chase a bird or follow a scent or something and catches me by surprise.
If you havent had experience with something like a boxer or bully, or at least a large high energy working breed, I wouldnt go for a Corso or Presa Canario.
Any mastiff is a big dog to be out of control, but the more hardcore game types-the breeds which havent been softened up for showing purposes bring a whole new level of intensity to it, so you have got to KNOW that you will be able to train the dog and handle him, and that you can keep the dog in your property-flimsy fences will not cut it.
Sorry to be a downer, however if you really want a massive dog as the 1st, then an English mastiff from solid pet lines would probably be ok as a 1st dog, they are gentle giants on the whole.

MJBadger-I think you are confusing the Canario with the Dogo Argentino, the only banned breeds in the UK are, American Pit Bull Terrier(or dog that fits the "Pit-Bull type"), Fila Brasiliero, Dogo Argentino, and Japanese Tosa.

Japanese Tosa's are also a great choice, but ....HEED HARRY'S WARNING ABOVE.... I can vouch for the high spirit and determination of these dogs....every day they test you like a horny teenager...they are very intelligent and know what you want, but decide at the time you ask, whether or not they will listen.

A great dog to start with if it is your first large dog is a
ROTTY

....they have a similar stature and a good bred one will do everything in its power to please, impress and protect you and your home.

Extremely loyal and protective, yet great with children and other family animals. (DON'T FORGET A VERY IMPORTANT THING THOUGH....SOCIALIZING ANY DOG; MASTIFF OR ROTTY IS A MUST.)

PD

daybreamer

i have a staffy now from 'strong dog' lines and owned one previously, interestingly the one i have now is very chilled and sleeps alot whereas my first one was mad as a box of frogs and never ran out of energy/drive and i gave that pup some exercise lol, would love a pit but couldnt take the risk of having it taken from me and put down, am looking for something similar but legal

MJBadger

Veteran
Harry Gypsna . You are correct about the Dogo & your post makes a whole lot of sense , you clearly understand the Big Breeds .
I have an rescue AB at the moment & get some considerable grief from a dog it`s size but i love it , shame it won`t accept another dog in the house because we miss the Mastiff & seriously would love to have another .

Elsweeto

Henry; my brothers bull mastiff is a year old weighs 70 Kg (154 Lbs) his brindle colouring means even in half light he disappears; its worrying to look at. He's got a calmness in him even this young that makes me think he'll be a seriously cool dog to have around. He's a gentleman really.
My neighbour has a pair of adult great Danes and the way he carries his young self when they charge down they're garden as we walk by is a real insight into his self belief he knows he's the big dog even around them and he shows all this without a hint of aggression.
This pup is intimidating already; I'm 6' 5" 86kg (190 Lbs) and he's hard work for me to wrestle with. Although I have no evidence of it because he's so gentle with all the various dogs, cats (you have to see this mutt washing a kitten its fucking hilarious), kids, at my brothers I know he will make an excellent guard dog if the need arises I can see it in him.
Gentle giant is about right but... he knows what he's capable off, the breed was originally intended to be a game keepers dog; Poacher for breakfast anyone!!!

T

turtle farmer

I've been leaning toward the African Boerboel..It's between that or Rottys.

The Boerboel is a large, mastiff dog breed from South Africa, bred for the purpose of guarding the homestead. These dogs were often a first line of defense against predators and were valuable in tracking and holding down wounded game. Old farmers tell many tales of the strength, agility, and courage of their Boerboels.

I'm just trying to keep the tweekers and rippers off my land...my Labs,Bonnie and Clyde do a good job,but they are over seven now,so the research begins...

JACKBAYBEH

Tosa Inu AKA Tosa Ken AKA Japanese Mastiff. From champion yokozuna lines. My bro owns a breeding pair. The female is actually a better guard dog. She takes no shit, much quicker on the trigger. The male is 30" @ the withers and a SOLID 160#. The most athletic dog I've ever encountered. Stamina, for days. You can't wear him out. Both are excellent with his kids and are very loyal family companions. They are extremely dog aggressive though. Expensive too. Rare breed. My man paid 4K a piece for his. Been promised the pick male out of his next litter. :dance013: Love this breed.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been leaning toward the African Boerboel..It's between that or Rottys.

The Boerboel is a large, mastiff dog breed from South Africa, bred for the purpose of guarding the homestead. These dogs were often a first line of defense against predators and were valuable in tracking and holding down wounded game. Old farmers tell many tales of the strength, agility, and courage of their Boerboels.

I'm just trying to keep the tweekers and rippers off my land...my Labs,Bonnie and Clyde do a good job,but they are over seven now,so the research begins...

jesus christ! how do you feed a dog that big?
will he at least eat the intruders he catches?

33.png

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i always wanted a south african mastif...aka boerboel....

spitsvuur-mokka1_001.jpg

attachment.php

Zuri.JPG

on average 180 lbs but can be alot more :D

T

turtle farmer

Now thats what I'm talking about...great pics.
@Stoner4Life--the food bill will be large,but worth it.
peace

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
The South African Mastiff is impressive as wide as he is tall. But I still think that for a family with kids a Great ane is a good choise. They are very gentle but any one goes by our fence hears about it. She really scares the crap out of people at night , she's dark steel gray and when she goes out she has a deep growl with a deep bark. You can hear her coming, know its really big, but you can't see her in the dark. She sleeps 18 hours a days they are an excellent apartment dog,just kinda big. Sweet and loving very territorial and watchful. and aware of their surroundings at all times.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
great danes are a "lap dog" even though they are big, very affectionate and friendly...only problem is they are very prone to genetic and non genetics hip/knee/back problems and sometimes heart problems (small or oversized heart)

plasmajuice

I have a neapolitan mastiff, they're an extremely smart dog and have nothing but good traits as far as I'm conserned. My 2c

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
I have a neapolitan mastiff, they're an extremely smart dog and have nothing but good traits as far as I'm conserned. My 2c

Except the fact that the breed is still relatively new so to speak and its inbred. I love the Mastino Napoletano but they have a lot of health problems and they are very expensive for a good line. I'd love to have another one but I'd rather go with a Bordeaux or Cane Corso...Ideally a Mastino Napoletano Cane Corso cross...

zenoonez

Veteran
Except the fact that the breed is still relatively new so to speak and its inbred. I love the Mastino Napoletano but they have a lot of health problems and they are very expensive for a good line. I'd love to have another one but I'd rather go with a Bordeaux or Cane Corso...Ideally a Mastino Napoletano Cane Corso cross...

New to the competitive world, very old breed though, original Roman "dogs of war" and all...

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
New to the competitive world, very old breed though, original Roman "dogs of war" and all...

Yes they are the closest thing today to the original Molossus of ancient times. The reason I say a new breed is because these dogs were forgotten about and after ww2 they were found wild on and around Vesuvius and were inbred to try and stabilize the breed. That's what I meant by new...