What's new

Massachusetts Outdoor

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
PCK plants. Just transplanted them a couple days ago to 15 gallon smart pots. Had them in about 4 gallon pots. They were getting root bound.
picture.php

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Sandstorm and Bubba Kush/Sour Bub plants .
Both of these have started to flower in the last few days..
picture.php

Sandstorm flowers.
picture.php

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Ok. has anyone noticed the difference in plants when compared to being grown inside vs. out?
For example, the PCK plants I have indoors put out much narrower leaves compared to the outdoor plants. They look like different plants even though they are clones from the same mother.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ok. has anyone noticed the difference in plants when compared to being grown inside vs. out?
For example, the PCK plants I have indoors put out much narrower leaves compared to the outdoor plants. They look like different plants even though they are clones from the same mother.

I have read about how clones from the same mother will grow differently depending on the environment, The plants try to adapt as best they can.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
From Royal Queen Seeds

GENOTYPE, ENVIRONMENT, PHENOTYPE

Every living organism is the result of evolution that works by the same basic principle. The genotype or genetic code carries all the genetic information regarding growth, appearance, and all the characteristics we can later observe.

It’s crucial to understand that a genotype or genetic code is not something that is set in stone but rather defines a certain range of possibilities. It mainly depends on the environment the organism lives in what specific bits and pieces of the genotype will be activated.

The interaction between genotype and environment results in a phenotype, meaning the physical expression of certain genes the environment triggered.

genotype (G) + environment (E) + genotype and environment interactions (GE) = phenotype (P)

QUICK EXAMPLE: PURPLE STRAINS

Let’s examine a cannabis related example to get a better idea. You purchase seeds from a reputable breeder and intend to grow a purple strain.

Instead of growing all plants in your indoor grow tent, you’ll decide on moving half of your plants outdoors. Besides the fact that no plant seems to be identical to one another, you’ll notice that the plants in your outdoor garden are much richer in purple colours compared to the ones in your indoor grow tent.

Although the genotype carries the information to produce purple hues, it’s the environment, and in this particular case, the temperatures of the environment, that allow two different physical expressions (phenotypes) from seemingly the same genetic code (genotype).

if you’re aiming for maximum efficiency and consistency, your best option is to select a mother plant to take clones from. These clones copy the genotype of the mother plant 1:1 and you’ll continuously end up with the same phenotype assuming a constant environment.

Let’s say you grow one of these identical clones using a hydro set-up, and one in organic soil. This varying environment might result in different phenotypes of the same genotype.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Were right in the middle of the longest days of the year. How are your plants flowering already? They shouldnt start flowering for another 4 weeks. Unless you got a semi-auto?
The Outdoor Grapefruits from Female Seeds does this. It will flower early in low light conditions.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I think this one is a male. Very vigorous, hollow stemmed, it grew to this 4 foot height in about 3 weeks. I topped it a couple times but it grew so fast it got away from me.
View Image

My blue cheese plant is growing just like that, hollow stems and very vigorous. Mine started showing pistils around 70 days from germination.

I topped mine at 3 ft and it exploded with growth for the next week to 4ft. then i topped all the main branches and it shot out 4-5 side branches from each, didnt slow down at all if anything got mad and grew faster lol.

Could be a special pheno to make a mother.

:plant grow:

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
I've no idea other than the fact that the Sandstorm is a clone from a mature mother that was itching to flower in the veg room. It vegged for a few weeks outdoors but started flowering a few days ago. I've got the mother flowering indoors and it has been normal throughout it's growth.
The mother was from seed direct from Cannabiogen in 2012-13 and none of the other seeds showed any auto traits.

The Bubba Kush cross was a mother plant about 4 months old. She was itching to flower before I put it outside and although it is now flowering it isnt flowering as aggressively as the Sandstorm.

Were right in the middle of the longest days of the year. How are your plants flowering already? They shouldnt start flowering for another 4 weeks. Unless you got a semi-auto?
The Outdoor Grapefruits from Female Seeds does this. It will flower early in low light conditions.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I know lattitude can play a big role in a plants outdoor flowering time, could have something to do with it.

Ive also read that younger plants transition faster to a new environment because they havent got used to the one they are in, and older plants can take longer.

what do you mean by "itching to flower" in veg?

Afaik plants are telling us they are ready to flower by showing pistils/balls and switching from pairs of branches at nodes to single alternating branches at nodes.

Are they like stacking nugs under like 16-18hr light indoors?

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Been spraying thuricide to deal with these stupid caterpillars we seem to be infested because of all the oak trees.

View Image

Plan on spraying neem tomorrow after the rain.
Good luck out there :tiphat:

So now these are turning into moths. Should I be worried about them being on the plants and if so will the neem keep them away? Any help is greatly appreciated :tiphat:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
So now these are turning into moths. Should I be worried about them being on the plants and if so will the neem keep them away? Any help is greatly appreciated :tiphat:

Moths won't hurt your plants or your veggie garden.

However, the eggs they lay, will hatch into caterpillars, which can ruin your crop.
I would use Bt . The caterpillars are the only bugs which die...

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Damn it I reached my outdoor limit with males..Lol hey they have to go somewhere

I hope you don't live near me :biggrin: this is the one thing that scares me lol. That someone leaves a male out knowingly or not and it's pollen gets on my girls. Isn't this the nightmare of every father :biggrin:

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
After a couple of months at 18/6 the mother plant was showing flowers. More than preflowers but not stacking ,so to say.
The clones from the mother acted the same way, after they established themselves they wanted to flower, indoors. I had to up the light cycle to keep them from progressing any further into flower.
When I put it outside, it vegged for a good 4-5 weeks.
Then.. flowers a few days ago. Looking at that plant today makes me think it isn't going to stop flowering at this point.

I know lattitude can play a big role in a plants outdoor flowering time, could have something to do with it.

Ive also read that younger plants transition faster to a new environment because they havent got used to the one they are in, and older plants can take longer.

what do you mean by "itching to flower" in veg?

Afaik plants are telling us they are ready to flower by showing pistils/balls and switching from pairs of branches at nodes to single alternating branches at nodes.

Are they like stacking nugs under like 16-18hr light indoors?

ManyManySpliffs

I hope you don't live near me :biggrin: this is the one thing that scares me lol. That someone leaves a male out knowingly or not and it's pollen gets on my girls. Isn't this the nightmare of every father :biggrin:

Yes males outdoor is a no-no. I usually end up with a couple beans in my outdoor although I kill every male on sight. They never have time to open, so I know its someones stray pollen impregnating my bitches. Pisses me off when I work so hard to grow that sensimilla every year. smh
Males need to be kept indoors where they can be contained and not wreak havoc on the growing community as a whole.. lol My :2cents:

Americangrower

Veteran

There is no1 close enough to my backyard that is growing..unless the state trooper is growing. If so oh well

Latest posts

Latest posts