What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mass of an ass going critical

Gry

Veteran
The only facts that I am aware of are that Ford appears to believe her story and ALL of the people whom she has cited as being witnesses say that she is mistaken.

I don't think that the same penalty applies to asking for an investigation as it does for lying to the FBI during a criminal investigation. And Papadopolous got 2 weeks...

The FBI has already performed their "normal role" for this hearing, and have done so 5 times in the past for the same candidate.

The normal process is for the FBI to examine new evidence as it develops. They have been prevented from doing so in this case.
This is precedent setting, and far from the normal.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
many (reports suggest between 60 to 90%) sexual assaults are never reported for various reasons. too often, the victims who come forward end up being under a microscope instead of the accused. only in sex cases is this true. i can just imagine a defense attorney in an armed robbery trial "now, is it not true that the "victim" was dressed as if he was carrying cash? and he drove a Porsche, correct?" LOL! too many male prosecutors/lawyers/judges poo-poo accusations saying "boys will be boys" or "look how she was dressed? what did she expect?" the passage of time is no excuse to not do the right thing. there are too many "good ol' boy" institutions holding way too much power now as it is. i guess it is expecting too much these days to hope for a middle of the roader instead of an apologist & cheerleader to be nominated to fucking ANYTHING...

i agree with all of that. what i'm saying is, now that she has decided to go public, shouldn't the first step be to file a police report? then justice will take it's course.

it is interesting that you end up by saying the nominees political positions are why they shouldn't get the nomination. this is exactly what seems to be the motivation, rather then actually wanting justice to be served for it's own sake.

in the end i really need to see her testimony before i do any more gabbing on this topic. i hope her testimony will be recorded by police so they can actually start an investigation.

but yeah, there are now some 5 allegations of sexual misconduct of one kind or another including him being in on drugging and gang raping parties. this should be easy to investigate. maybe he was a closet pervert?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
The normal process is for the FBI to examine new evidence as it develops. They have been prevented from doing so in this case.

do the fbi need permission to open an investigation though? they are privy to all thats going on, if they felt there was something to investigate they have the autonomy to open said investigation unless i'mvery much mistaken the judiciary is independent, no?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The FBI has not been "prevented" from doing anything. They said that it was outside of their purview and that it was a state matter. The state said that it was a county misdemeanor, and that they would not be investigating it.

There are supposedly a total of 6 people involved. One is charging the offense, the other five have all given sworn testimony that it never happened. Exactly how do you "investigate" a 36-year old crime with no physical evidence beyond talking to the people reported to be present?

Gry

Veteran
The FBI has not been "prevented" from doing anything. They said that it was outside of their purview and that it was a state matter. The state said that it was a county misdemeanor, and that they would not be investigating it.

There are supposedly a total of 6 people involved. One is charging the offense, the other five have all given sworn testimony that it never happened. Exactly how do you "investigate" a 36-year old crime with no physical evidence beyond talking to the people reported to be present?

The FBI has offered to just that, but have in fact been prevented from doing so.
I would allow them to do what they do best, and would with hold any judgment until after viewing the results of their efforts.

Gry

Veteran
do the fbi need permission to open an investigation though? they are privy to all thats going on, if they felt there was something to investigate they have the autonomy to open said investigation unless i'mvery much mistaken the judiciary is independent, no?

It is my thought that in less politicized circumstances, they would have already taken this up and been done with it. A request to stand down would have been made to them by the White House, or by McConnell.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
It is my thought that in less politicized circumstances, they would have already taken this up and been done with it. A request to stand down would have been made to them by the White House, or by McConnell.

so Trump can just turn off the investigation against himself by telling them to stand down? i don't think it works like that. didnt they just not ask the FBI to investigate? was there a stand down order in this matter? seems unlikely no? but in the end it's not important, what is important is getting at the truth and the cops have the best resources for doing a rape investigation. this isn't really in the purview of the fbi, at least not under normal circumstances. also considering how anti Trump the FBI is at the moment, it seems a local rape investigator is whats needed. FBI have lost Trumps sides trust by the way they did the fisa warrant.

Gry

Veteran
so Trump can just turn off the investigation against himself by telling them to stand down? i don't think it works like that. didnt they just not ask the FBI to investigate? was there a stand down order in this matter? seems unlikely no? but in the end it's not important, what is important is getting at the truth and the cops have the best resources for doing a rape investigation. this isn't really in the purview of the fbi, at least not under normal circumstances. also considering how anti Trump the FBI is at the moment, it seems a local rape investigator is whats needed. FBI have lost Trumps sides trust by the way they did the fisa warrant.

This is not at all about a search for the truth, but rather slime filled political horse shit.
There is a case pending in the Supreme Court that the republican party want to get through, it can provide an exit clause for those who have been pardoned, that would prevent them being charged by the state.
This is gut slugging politics at their best or worst, depending on one's perspective.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
This is not at all about a search for the truth, but rather slime filled political horse shit.
There is a case pending in the Supreme Court that the republican party want to get through, it can provide an exit clause for those who have been pardoned, that would prevent them being charged by the state.
This is gut slugging politics at their best or worst, depending on one's perspective.

on the other hand many are saying her testimony was very credible, i guess ill have to go watch it. surprised no one linked it up yet.

Badfishy1

Actually there are facts, and no shortage of them.
There is an organization which traditionally looks into such things, the FBI. They are very competent at such things, and they do it quickly.
How many 'accusers' do you know of that would invite the FBI to look into
something with the understanding that they can get 5 years for a false claim?
Each of the women has asked that the FBI be brought in.
The old boys network has repeatedly refused to allow the
FBI to play their normal role in such hearings, as has happened
in previous nominee hearings.

Wrong. No FEDERAL crime was committed. State/ local authorities have jurisdiction. Summoning FBI is a gross abuse of federal power by some shitbag hag Feinstein. Doesn’t matter how many paid political ‘accusers’ come forward still not a federal crime. And the 3rd accuser graduated in ‘80 yet was attending highschool parties in ‘83? Yep sounds legit. Nothing to see here. Call muh FBI lads case closed

Badfishy1

Lol implying Comey didn’t ‘stand down’ on 30k missing emails about wedding planning and such

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Kavanaugh looks like a nutcase in testimony. Hands are shaking. Voice trembling. Looks like he's freaking out.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The FBI has offered to just that, but have in fact been prevented from doing so.
I would allow them to do what they do best, and would with hold any judgment until after viewing the results of their efforts.

This is completely incorrect. Of their own volition, the FBI can only investigate Federal crimes. There are some narrow exceptions where they can get involved in other matters, but they have to be ASKED to get involved (mass murders, background checks for the White House, etc). Not being asked to perform an investigation is substantially different than being told to stand down from doing one.

Even BHO's guy in WaPo states - "The FBI does not complete background investigations of its own volition. The White House is its customer in this process — the president asks, and the FBI investigates."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...check-kavanaugh-again/?utm_term=.5ef5877d67f8

Gry

Veteran
The standard for background investigations is to reopen them when and if new information comes out.
This is the only exemption I can recall.

White Beard

I'm no #tRump fan but I do see "politics" written all over this. Pretty bad when politics over shadow good governance!

I agree. The ramming through of this nominee is inappropriate and disloyal to the traditions of the Senate. The only possible reasons for this unreasonable haste are definitely political.