What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Martial Law in the uk? If no deal brexit

T

Teddybrae

thats the thing, imo, at this time the eu technocrats are just acting in their own best interests. they have to make Brixit as difficult and scary as they can. it's literally a matter of life and death for the fascist project we call the european union.

:D

I was brought up by Conservatives. I 'm a bit slow. It's taken me almost seventy years to realise they were Fascists too!!!

How corrosive of my cherished ideals is your writing and your arguments Gaius. I think I shouldn't come here any more. I want to die in peace with all my cherished beliefs ...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Gaius is right, markets will regulate themselves across import duties and borders for the sake of making money. But that's really the only thing we can be sure of in my opinion.
And the only "real" problem with Brexit I see is that some idiot thought a simple majority (>50%) to decide on a major issue like this would suffice.
By design this is asking for a 49% vs. 51% scenario. Pretty much exactly what happened in the end. Yes, there is a majortity on paper, but in reality and everyday life it's half the voters were for it and half the voters were against it. This is a recipe for civil unrest or worse and it will not be before many years until the scale tips in one's favor. It's really 50/50.

And let's not be foolish regarding the timeline: Despite the fact most profitable industries in the UK have long been owned by foreign corporations, the UK could in the end be better off without the EU, but let's not kid ourselves, this lies so far in the future, none of us here today is likely to witness it. And only if the UK plays every card right during that time and May &Co. are already today failing badly at it.

I live in the UK, I'm not from the UK and see with horror what's happening in London and Brussels and whatever it is, S2 is 100% righ it's in no ones interest and not helping the average man one tiny bit.

But rest assured, those in power will earn more riches from Brexit.
CC

Hey man,

good post brotha, truth!

but i suspect it really won't be such a big deal in the end and i don't see why it should take very long for the benefits to kick in. just the yearly fee the Brits payed the EU alone, is a super nice wad of cash, that can at least help Britain get over any rough patches.

but there is no reason why people won't find solutions to the making money problem, as you said. in the end both the producers and the consumers will be interested in a deal, at that stage the eurocrats won't be able to stand in the way, like they are now, because they will cause actual jobs to be lost. industry and factories will lose money if they try cut off trade with the UK. private business men will make deals with their private counterparts and if the government gets in the way, there will be an uproar about fucking with the free market and anti free market regulation. many of these threats the EUs unelected beurocrats are making, are not gonna fly if they try and implement them once Britain has left. they will be stabbing their own EU economy in the foot by doing so.

in the end, Britain didnt do anything to deserve sanctions or blockades and there is no basis in international law for such under these conditions, so basically the EU is bluffing and huffing kinda thing. they will impose a tax, but it will be reasonable and business will just deal with it, as long as it's a level playing field for the whole British market, tax wise, British companies won't suffer.

also by tightening eu immigration, they will decrease the jobless numbers, which will force companies to increase wages to attract decent staff. so yes prices might go up a bit for some products, but so should the general prosperity level. specially if you had some one decent running the government and actively making the most of the situation.

sadly May doesn't really want to leave, so she hasn't done the things she should have done from day one after referendum. she should have sent out hundreds of trade delegations, every where and anywhere where business can be done to mutual benefit. make use of the fact that leaving the EU allows Britain to once again make it's own trade deals. she should make clear that Britain is open for business, had she been really smart she wouldn't have played sanction games, as a lot of Chinese and Russian money will be avoiding Britain as a result, money that was a nice boost for the British banking system.

even so, she should be signaling to the whole world that Britain is back and open for business. instead of running back and forth between un elected euro fat cats and her parties pro euro fat cats, while pretending that she actually wants a free and sovereign Britain.

she basically played right into the information war against leaving, all while saying she wants out.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i'm sorry for using the word fascist, i got way carried away. no one in the EU is really living under fascism. sorry about that. i will edit it. its way too hyperbolic and factually incorrect. bad choice. thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

i'm sorry for using the word fascist, i got way carried away. no one in the EU is really living under fascism. sorry about that. i will edit it. its way too hyperbolic and factually incorrect. bad choice. thanks for pointing it out.

Fascism

the fusion of corporate & state interests

if we use Mussolini's description.

That's a description of the USA for sure.

As far as the EU countries, would have to take them one by one.

Ireland shows some impressive independence.

White Beard

Gaius, I’m not gonna quote all your very good remarks in here, I’ll just say that I hope for the sake of the UK and her people that you’re right, and that Oz after brexit will be all you predict.

That said, I must ask: what if it doesn’t?

I wish you folks over there the very best in these trying times:comfort:

No matter what you voted for, respect your fellow countrymen and things will work themselves out in the end. They always do.

Never forget what you endured during WWII...You have an amazing depth of culture to fall back on, and we all know the bangers and mash crowd are as tough as nails.

Best wishes again to the UK, Gaius has made some very valid points as to why things will be fine that I had not taken the time to consider...

I'll be sending good vibes from the over here on the Pacific:smoke out:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Fascism

the fusion of corporate & state interests

if we use Mussolini's description.

That's a description of the USA for sure.

As far as the EU countries, would have to take them one by one.

Ireland shows some impressive independence.
It's government by the few..

420empire

Veteran
Wasen´t this campaign against EU run by Nigel? And then suddenly he is out of politics, seems someone had at bunch af money to buy this guy so Britain would leave... ? No matter what I think Britain will do fine, but maybe it will be a hard start. Then let Scotland seperate Britain, you know it isen´t a empire anymore, and we would love to have the Scots in the union. ;)

slàinte !

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
I hope, it doesn´t cost a lot of Jobs on both sides of the channel!

The great misunderstandig also was, the europeans saw the EU as a political union, the Brits saw it more like a trading union.

What makes me sad about the proud Britains, is that they were influinced by the yellow press about decades. The yellow press always wrote bad about the EU and made it ripe for attack.

And what the stupid masses never learn, in every country, they shout out at the loudest, for trade wars, for a Brexit, for a wall, for a reunion, for a war, for whatever and they are the first ones that be fucked afterwards.

The elites smile and take their advantage.

Qui bono?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wasen´t this campaign against EU run by Nigel? And then suddenly he is out of politics, seems someone had at bunch af money to buy this guy so Britain would leave... ? No matter what I think Britain will do fine, but maybe it will be a hard start. Then let Scotland seperate Britain, you know it isen´t a empire anymore, and we would love to have the Scots in the union. ;)

slàinte !

That’s a very nice thought,,
But a very old saying goes like this = “ the English and Irish pray on there knees!,,, The Scottish prey on there neighbours!,,
I love Scotland,,it’s a very beautiful part of the world especially the Highlands,,Bute,,etc,
Be careful what you wish for,,,s2

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Gaius, I’m not gonna quote all your very good remarks in here, I’ll just say that I hope for the sake of the UK and her people that you’re right, and that Oz after brexit will be all you predict.

That said, I must ask: what if it doesn’t?

to me it seems that human nature means i'm right. everyone wants to make money, can you imagine how bad the eurocrats would look if they really start getting in the way of thousands of businesses in the whole EU and their customers and or suppliers in the UK? even if they want to, they won't be able to justify it.

the only real weapon they have is import/export tax/tariffs, but those will be have to kept in limits, or else again the business community will complain that the eu is anti business. but yes on a short term there might be some turmoil, some prices going up, but only until smart business men organize reasonable alternatives. remember the EU is only 26 countries. there is nothing they produce, that can't be sourced else where. there is a big wide world out there of choice. for things to get as bad as the msm is predicting, would require thousands of business men to just stop acting in their best interest and join the crusade to make Britain pay. no sane business man will do any such thing. on the contrary they will be lobbying to get things back to normal or looking for other ways to get around any unreasonable conditions.

they have the wto trade regs to fall back on too, so it's not like they have to re invent the wheel or something.

one thing i do acknowledge, the eurocrats will probably do some damage, before common sense re asserts it's self. just like a dieing tiger can still rip your guts open, the eurocrats will be dangerous as they contemplate being made less relevant by the UK loss and wanting other EU nations to see that it won't be painless to leave. again this is in their self interest, so can potentially cause some pain, but even there, if they go too far they will make the EU even less liked internally, they can't let the mask of EU benevolence slip too far, without paying an even bigger price and losing more member states.

if they were smart they would allow EU trade block membership, without full subjugation to eu dictates. that way the EU might survive, or they find a way to stop Britain leaving. that would also allow them to survive a bit longer.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes,,,
Where does Germany export the most cars to within the EU ??
I could go on to most other countries in the EU but I hope you get my point,,
When Donald Tsuk went on Facebook for pics laughing with a cake with no cherries �� referring to his the “ uk can’t cherry pick” statement then it was like a light switching on as I
then realised that’s its all an ELITISTS game and there lackeys and friends doing the bidding for them,,
So as “ Rome burns” that shitbag Cameron fiddles,,,He should be hung,,
It’s all a game folks,,,s2

Last edited:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish I could share the views that it will be somehow allright in the end...
But I'm really worried that it will not be common sense and maybe not even the reliable power of commerce that will win.
If Brexit turns out to be a success, that's the end of the EU, plain and simple. And not only Brussels but all the "strong" countries in the EU, meaning the ones with the biggest financial capacities will do ALL it takes not to allow that to happen. Especially Germany, even if Merkel is not in power anymore at the time, has a big stake in a working EU (as far as you can call that working). And now add on top that Germany is the biggest partner by far for the UK in terms of imports. The UK imports almost twice as much from Germany as from the next biggest trade partner, which is China. And add on top of that the even bigger importance of the German market for China and you end up with a a dire scenario.
And I think they will go all in to make sure there is no such thing as a successful Brexit.

Yes of course, the UK could simply buy somewhere else, but it's going to be a mess and the regular people will, once again, have to shoulder the cost of it.
It's a dirty game and I hope they do come to their senses.

My personal opinion is that the EU is far from perfect, but I'd rather try help and repair this fucked up and broken vehicle than get out in the middle of the road and walk, which is a bit what Brexit will mean.
Can it be repaired ? I don't know ! (It's really fucked that's certain) But I still think we should not throw our unity out the window over the shape of our cucumbers. And that goes in the direction of Brussels as well, the level of detail they're trying to dictate is ridiculous. As are farmers who vote leave because of cucumber shape regulations from the EU, forgetting the billions of subsidies and the fact that the UK's membership fee is, because of the Thatcher rebate from the 80s comparably low to those of let's say France or Germany.

Also, if there is no such thing as a EU, it's former countries will be pulverised by global powerplay by the US on one side and China on the other. If it is the EU or not, we need a counterweight against these two or they'll just do as they please all over the world.

It really is a mess and information and education, the only means which could sort this and separate fact from fiction are nowhere on the map! And I do include myself here. We all don't know enough to even be discussing the subejct.
And I guess that's part of the game, if we all knew exactly what was going on and what's true and false, we could actually try and take influence. As it is now we're all just shouting around in the mist and it's more a distraction and focal point for negative energy than anything else. It keeps us busy. Our eyes and minds away from the really important stuff.

I'm sparking a fat one to a more just and united future on both sides of the channel.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sadly Chevy,,
President Macron will never allow it
to be fixed,,
He only wants to punish,,,s2

R

Rab.C

That’s a very nice thought,,
But a very old saying goes like this = “ the English and Irish pray on there knees!,,, The Scottish prey on there neighbours!,,
I love Scotland,,it’s a very beautiful part of the world especially the Highlands,,Bute,,etc,
Be careful what you wish for,,,s2

hey 944s2 i am a stone through away from Bute

R

Rab.C

sorry bro thats not right...

First, there were the Scots who kept the Sabbath - and everything else they could lay their hands on;
Then there were the Welsh - who prayed on their knees and their neighbours;

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

sorry bro thats not right...

First, there were the Scots who kept the Sabbath - and everything else they could lay their hands on;
Then there were the Welsh - who prayed on their knees and their neighbours;

Rab,,
I took that saying as more of a warning to anyone who wants to try
It on with the Scots then they will meet fierce resistance,,s2:tiphat:

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
I think, like the most things, it´s very simple, united we are strong divided we are weak.

As Trump was threating with trade wars, Merkel, Macron, May and others was flying to Washington and get nothing. Junkers was flying to Trump, with 500 Millions Europeans in the back and get a stop of trade wars. (As far I can say with my simple english)

All the populistic talks and writings are just Opium for the masses. There is no "backwards" for a better future.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
When the UK joined the EEC in the 70's - all of us Brits thought that this union with Europe was SOLELY about TRADE - and not being dictated to by a bunch of unelected officials in Brussels as to what our laws are and who we should allow into our nation -

Britain's never wanted to be part of some sorta 'United States of Europe' - and just about all the Brits I know are quite happy to become once again a truly sovereign nation that does not have to do the bidding, and pay huge amounts of funds to a bunch of blank suits in Brussels.

Latest posts

Latest posts