What's new

Marijuana testicular cancer link

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I believed it for a minute, I'd like to know who funded the study. I'd like to read the article. I'd like to see the p values (or other test statistics).

ho hum scratch 'em if you got 'em

Aye- let's see them critical/significance values.

love?

I don't think this is anti-marijuana propaganda. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center seems to be quite respected in the field of cancer research and I can't think of any reason why they'd be on an anti-mj agenda, in fact they are the same people who found out there is no association with oral cancers and marijuana.

But let's remember that they themselves say that there only may be a link between testicular cancer and marijuana. Because of that I think we should try to live a healthy lifestyle to minimize the possible risk of losing our balls but one thing we must not do is to worry and stress about this. Stress will kill you faster than any amount of smoke you can inhale, even if you mix with tobacco.

When I posted the BBC article FHCRC hadn't put anything about this on their site yet, but now they have. Check it out: http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/news/2009/02/09/marijuana.html

I don't think this is anti-marijuana propaganda. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center seems to be quite respected in the field of cancer research and I can't think of any reason why they'd be on an anti-mj agenda, in fact they are the same people who found out there is no association with oral cancers and marijuana.

But let's remember that they themselves say that there only may be a link between testicular cancer and marijuana. Because of that I think we should try to live a healthy lifestyle to minimize the possible risk of losing our balls but one thing we must not do is to worry and stress about this. Stress will kill you faster than any amount of smoke you can inhale, even if you mix with tobacco.

When I posted the BBC article FHCRC hadn't put anything about this on their site yet, but now they have. Check it out: http://www.fhcrc.org/about/ne/news/2009/02/09/marijuana.html

Good post Love?.

This is a peer-reviewed study, but only preliminary. I think the article made that clear. Yes it's a small sample, yes thee are problems with self reporting and there is certain to be other factors that MJ smokers tend to share that have nothing to do with weed. But this study is still a significant contribution to answering the question: How does cannabis affect health?

And if your first reaction is "who funded this study!?" Then, we probably think a like, lol.

But consider the possibility that love of weed is making you a little closed-minded to information that might tend to prove that pot has negative health impact.

I know mine has :joint:

-dTv

VirginHarvester

Veteran
I think there is a link between MJ and testicles. I know mine perform a lot better when I smoke. :)

But I agree with everyone that right now it's only a link. But I can see some lame prosecutor on FOX or CNN telling the public there was recently a discovery that MJ causes testicular cancer, or worse, our new Surgeon General, watch.

xOOx

how about someone setup a vote on icmag...? icmag has 62k members..and probably 500k+ lurkers

---->

I have testicular cancer (and smoked MJ all my life)

I have survived testicular cancer (and smoked MJ all my life)

I know of someone who has had/has testicular cancer (and smoked MJ all their life)

My balls are functioning normally (and I smoked MJ all my life)

something along those lines. i'm sure some people here have it, and i'm sorry if you do. but i mean, 62k+ members would give you a better idea if its a true link, or just so happens that they smoke pot along with whatever really gave them the testicular cancer.. let it be genetic, or enviromental..etc -- i'd guess you'd have to be above 25 years old to participate. are there anonymous surveys on icmag? should be way better results then just the little 300 people they did use for the survey. and i'd think if there was such a strong link, thousands upon thousands should have testicular cancer here.

what do you think? believe it, or not?

xoox

BirdDawg

The CNN article seems to cast significant doubt on this study, and they quote a few more numbers. Seems the general incidence of testicular cancer is 1 in 300. If smoking pot doubles the risk, that makes it 2 in 300. 1 in 300 is 3 tenths of a percent, double that and you're at 6 tenths of a percent, so an increase of 3 tenths of a percent. Don't ya just love statistics? Depending on how you read and phrase them, there's a difference. Double the chances of cancer sounds a whole lot worse than a 3/10% increase in incidence, doesn't it? I too, would love to know who funded the study. Sounds like more suffocating monkeys to me.

I saw this on the news, they never mentioned how large the study was, or any other crucial information that shows how laughable this study is...

I love how it comes around right after this huge positive marijuana swing with obama becoming president...

W

Weedman Herb

It seems Testicular Cancer is more common among the rich ... and in men 18-44 from Seattle and Puget Sound ... Some of those men smoked weed.

P

Psychosativa

There's one thing of my concern

Every study about possible harms from pot smoking is considered BS here. Do you people really think putting smoke in your lungs is totally safe?
Allright, my buttocks are ready to take the whoopass!:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

It's not that weed has to be absolutely perfect, its that the studies delivery methods, clinical patient numbers and sponsors are usually shaddy at best and should not be taken seriously.

Hell, where were these 350+ people grabbed from? Were they in the same general area? If so, is there some form of industrial, chemical, nuclear plant? There's tons of factors that could explain why an area of human beings have higher percentages of cancer.

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran

Doctor Who

Keep your fucking cell phones away from your brain and balls. This is why I use a Blue Tooth headset and drag my phone 15 feet behind me. LOL

xOOx

well,

i don't see the hundreds and hundreds of testicular cancer victim posts that i'd expect if it was true, especially from a site such as this. i'm going to have to say bs, it doesn't seem to be the national epidemic that they are making it out to be, the timing of the story is questionable with phelps, pro mj movement gaining momentum, etc, it uses words like 'may' cause, 'could' be be linked..the funder of the study is a drug abuse organization, who is probably funded by donations from drug companies.

it's probably not linked to marijuana use.. they do not show what other commonalities are shared between those 300 people. since the questions they probably asked were "have you ever smoked marijuana?" chances are 1 out of 2 people have, so ...its a pretty safe bet that someone with any form of cancer has smoked marijuana. maybe they all eat at joe's too. if you're genetically prone to this disorder, live in an area of high incidence.. you are probably going to get it. and luckily, its one of the beatable cancers, and not as widespread as they want you to believe..so..if you feel a lump or anything weird, go see a doc asap. this would probably be the better health story/advice to report on CNN.

so..it pretty much looks like propoganda again.. but this time, many more aren't falling for it,

unfortunately -- lots of people still are.. baaa baaaaaaaaaaa

xoox

Latest posts

Latest posts