What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Should Never Be Smoked ??

G

I could tell smoking was fucking my lungs up.

Me 2.Didn't need to wait for a study.The black tar pieces in phlegm were also pretty alarming.I have always been smoking spliffs with tobacco,so this might have been the problem.I didn't like strait mj joints.In my opinion though,any smoke is harmful to the lungs ,since it contains benzene,tar and many known carcinogens.Also COPD is something that I would really like to avoid.

Edibles are probably the healthiest way to consume cannabis.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Me 2.Didn't need to wait for a study.The black tar pieces in phlegm were also pretty alarming.I have always been smoking spliffs with tobacco,so this might have been the problem.I didn't like strait mj joints.In my opinion though,any smoke is harmful to the lungs ,since it contains benzene,tar and many known carcinogens.Also COPD is something that I would really like to avoid.

Your testimonial must be discounted, because you smoke tobacco joints. The end.

You're right about one thing- "any smoke is harmful to the lungs" is just an opinion. There are zero known cases of COPD caused by smoking marijuana.

If you don't want to smoke weed, fine. But don't say it's bad for you based on NOTHING. I been hearing that shit since I was sixteen.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Research trichome dense cannabis, and cleanly growing cannabis. When you get it right, all the things bitched about in this thread will go away for you. ;) A fantastic experience of pleasure awaits. An amazing exploration of the complexity and delight you can experience while smoking cannabis.

You'll find yourself smoking for the sheer pleasure of it. :tiphat:

White Beard

Hey, JF!

Can we agree that tobacco smoking is bad for the lungs and overall health?
That lung damage from smoke inhalation is an actual thing?
That a high-nough particulate count and a range combustion byproducts smudges the line between smoke and polluted air?

As I understand the state of the thread, these things only apply to cannabis because *smoke*; it’s not an unreasonable thing to draw a line between the two.

That said, I was reading a study posted here recently (might even have been Brother Nature’s) that specifically pointed out protective actions of cannabinoids in the lungs, when smoked. IIRC they stopped short of saying smoking pot is good for the lungs, but they did point out how a number of risk factors of smoking were either absent from or reduced by smoking cannabis.

Makes me think everybody’s right on this one (mostly)

I have only one problem with my own smoking, and that is: I cough A LOT when I smoke cannabis, I lose a lung-full half the time, and IT HURTS and it makes other things hurt, too. Strange that I don’t have this reaction to tobacco, but that doesn’t matter: I’m not going to stop using cannabis, so I can eat it, drink it, or vape it.

I’m frankly annoyed that I can’t safely smoke a joint with friends because of it, but - tough shit

Douglas, if your methods grow herb I can smoke without this effing cough, then your methods interest me

Last edited:
G

Well guys,you could be right in everything.Maybe all the harm on my lungs was from tobacco smoke.Marijuana smoke being the only smoke in the universe that doesn't have tar or other harmful substances,or maybe it does but they don't do harm to you.
One thing is certain though,and argue all you want with that.Taste is not even comparable.Smoking tastes a bit better than inhaling the smoke from the fireplace.Vaping tastes like the actual bud.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
WB:Hey, JF! Can we agree that tobacco smoking is bad for the lungs and overall health?

JF: YES!

WB:That lung damage from smoke inhalation is an actual thing?

JF:Not pot smoke.

WB:That a high-nough particulate count and a range combustion byproducts smudges the line between smoke and polluted air?

JF: No. Wait, what?

WB:As I understand the state of the thread, these things only apply to cannabis because *smoke*; it’s not an unreasonable thing to draw a line between the two.

JF: It is my opinion that you are drawing a conclusion based on limited evidence.

WB: That said, I was reading a study posted here recently (might even have been Brother Nature’s) that specifically pointed out protective actions of cannabinoids in the lungs, when smoked. IIRC they stopped short of saying smoking pot is good for the lungs, but they did point out how a number of risk factors of smoking were either absent from or reduced by smoking cannabis.

JF: Well, okay then.

WB: Makes me think everybody’s right on this one (mostly)

JF: Impossible.

WB: I have only one problem with my own smoking, and that is: I cough A LOT when I smoke cannabis, I lose a lung-full half the time, and IT HURTS and it makes other things hurt, too. Strange that I don’t have this reaction to tobacco, but that doesn’t matter: I’m not going to stop using cannabis, so I can eat it, drink it, or vape it.

I’m frankly annoyed that I can’t safely smoke a joint with friends because of it, but - tough shit

JF: I don't know man. Maybe you're trying to take too big of a hit. I cough sometimes too, but I don't consider it a detriment to my health. My friends and I had a slogan, many people here will recognize- "You don't cough, you don't get off." So, coughing doesn't bother me. AND vaping can make me cough too.

WB: Douglas, if your methods grow herb I can smoke without this effing cough, then your methods interest me

JF: Douglas is wise. Good luck. I really want everybody to ingest cannabis any way they want. I do get kind of defensive when people tell me smoking pot is harmful to the lungs (or heart or brain or sperm count), when I have seen zero real evidence of it, except the kind presented by vape salesmen (you know who you are).

herbgreen

Veteran
Chronic bronchitis

This one of the few things they say marijuana can do to your health

And with all or most of the research focused on what it can do thats bad.....

That is one

However, these lung conditions are caused by inflammation and cannabis is anti-inflammatory

Its also a broncho - dilator and arterial dilator

Tobacco is opposite its a broncho - constrictor and arterial constrictor

And smoke has more or less resin or is held in the lungs longer there are chronic supersmokers, dabbers, bong rippers, gasmask smokers, gravitybongs, monster spliffs ect

Then theres blunts, blends, banana leaves....whole other area

But straight cannabis smoking a few bowls a day 3-4 joints even more sounds sustainable without much problem...all the more reason to exercise and get some mullein leaf tea helps the lungs

Vaporizing is great IMO Its really no worries but damn if I would give up smoking without a fight....Its symbolic if nothing else and the smell of the smoke and the resin has its own medicinal effects....

There is toxic stuff in smoke for sure but off set by cannabis medicinal properties

I like the many methods concept RSO, ISO oil, ice hash, dry siffd, press hash, canna butter, and now raw juicing! lol

Bake into my lasagna ....make it into a salad brush some melted canna butter on my garlicbread!

And you know its in the chocolate cake.......

After all that Im 100% sure Ill need to hit the vape or smoke one :biggrin:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Waving away 50 years of experience to the contrary requires careful documentation - which you are no doubt ready to provide

Go take a puff from your favorite pipe, remove the bowl and observe how many trichomes are actually still in tact after doing so.

I don't need a damn study I can see it myself!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Smoking tobacco with cannabis makes smoking tobacco products worse, so I've read in the past.
I'm unsure if the article i read was based on faulty science or not.

White Beard

WB:Hey, JF! Can we agree that tobacco smoking is bad for the lungs and overall health?

JF: YES!

WB:That lung damage from smoke inhalation is an actual thing?

JF:Not pot smoke.
Dude, stay with me: talking about smoke, I didn’t say pot smoke...
People die in fires without getting burned. It’s often from inhaling smoke, and those that don’t die from it often have damaged fragile lungs. Different level of ‘smoke’, of course.

WB:That a high-nough particulate count and a range combustion byproducts smudges the line between smoke and polluted air?

JF: No. Wait, what?
yet another level of ‘smoke’. “Smoke” as a thing is not benign, not harmless. My point is that people have real reason to object to *smoke* and even *smokING*...and nothing about that is nuts - or about cannabis. Still with me?

WB:As I understand the state of the thread, these things only apply to cannabis because *smoke*; it’s not an unreasonable thing to draw a line between the two.

JF: It is my opinion that you are drawing a conclusion based on limited evidence.
Could be, sure could be...and you could just be *reactive* on the topic: you had no trouble with the next part, right?

WB: That said, I was reading a study posted here recently (might even have been Brother Nature’s) that specifically pointed out protective actions of cannabinoids in the lungs, when smoked. IIRC they stopped short of saying smoking pot is good for the lungs, but they did point out how a number of risk factors of smoking were either absent from or reduced by smoking cannabis.

JF: Well, okay then.
...so all I’ve said is, there are non-stupid reasons for wanting a non-smokING option that have nothing to do with cannabis (per research). We still cool?

WB: Makes me think everybody’s right on this one (mostly)

JF: Impossible.

WB: I have only one problem with my own smoking, and that is: I cough A LOT when I smoke cannabis, I lose a lung-full half the time, and IT HURTS and it makes other things hurt, too. Strange that I don’t have this reaction to tobacco, but that doesn’t matter: I’m not going to stop using cannabis, so I can eat it, drink it, or vape it.

JF: I don't know man. Maybe you're trying to take too big of a hit. I cough sometimes too, but I don't consider it a detriment to my health. My friends and I had a slogan, many people here will recognize- "You don't cough, you don't get off." So, coughing doesn't bother me. AND vaping can make me cough too.
Don’t talk down to me, man, I got kids PackerFan’s age: I can tell the difference between having a couple coughs and feeling like my lungs are ripping up.

“You don’t cough, you don’t get off” is teenage bullshit. I’m glad coughing doesn’t bother you, may that last you all your days, no shit. But when I say that *smoking* pot has turned sour for me, I ain’t pissing in your Wheaties, I’m telling you a true thing.

WB: Douglas, if your methods grow herb I can smoke without this effing cough, then your methods interest me

JF: Douglas is wise. Good luck. I really want everybody to ingest cannabis any way they want.
He may or may not be; however, he thinks he’s on to something. If he IS onto something, could be worthwhile knowing about it.

I do get kind of defensive when people tell me smoking pot is harmful to the lungs (or heart or brain or sperm count), when I have seen zero real evidence of it, except the kind presented by vape salesmen (you know who you are).
I wholly get this last bit: and NONE OF THIS has been about “smoking *POT*” being worse for humans than smoking anything else. Present company has GOT to be the last place on earth where that shit gets pulled.

Peace?

White Beard

Go take a puff from your favorite pipe, remove the bowl and observe how many trichomes are actually still in tact after doing so.

I don’t live in your rarified atmosphere: I’ve never had a bag of weed that showed visible trichomes, mostly we get tumbled bud - but I’ve been beaucoup stoned off said weed many times.

I know there are trichomes there, they collect in the bottom of the grinder. There are trichomes you *cant* see, even if you do dump your bowl and count.

I cough a lot when smoking a joint also and figure it's likely the paper. I can take bongs hits all damn day and I usually do. I am a long time reformed 20 year/pack a day smoker.

Douglas.Curtis

One thing is certain though,and argue all you want with that.Taste is not even comparable.Smoking tastes a bit better than inhaling the smoke from the fireplace.Vaping tastes like the actual bud.
What is certain is you have not experienced clean cannabis yet. I hope this changes for you soon. Your description is gross and nothing like clean cannabis. :(

Douglas, if your methods grow herb I can smoke without this effing cough, then your methods interest me
100% Yes. No coughing when smoking, unless you took too big of a hit. (We all get greedy at times. lol) No lung butter, no 'feel' you're a smoker, no coughing at odd times, no hacking in a hot shower or sauna.

First time I came across this quality was in 2008. Now I grow close to the same quality, but it took a few years to figure out. ;) I'd tell you about my book, but I don't have advertising rights here.

HEPA Filtered Air
Clean Water
Balanced Nutrient Profile
Full pH Swing
LOW Nutrient Strength
70F Max Temp
25-30% Max RH
Fade to Harvest

Them's the basics. Skip the full pH swing and you'll be feeding more and harvesting lower quality.

Feed a medium to light green throughout, or you'll impact your end quality. If you're dark green through flower, it won't matter how much or how long you flush. Grow the same cut with lower nutes and the quality is better.
:tiphat:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I wholly get this last bit: and NONE OF THIS has been about “smoking *POT*” being worse for humans than smoking anything else. Present company has GOT to be the last place on earth where that shit gets pulled.

Peace?

Absolutely! I never had any hard feelings about any of this.:tiphat:

G

What is certain is you have not experienced clean cannabis yet. I hope this changes for you soon. Your description is gross and nothing like clean cannabis. :(
:

Nothing is certain except scientifically proven.

I have read many times (from you)that you are one of the few people that make clean cannabis.I can assure you that I started toking cannabis that was raised in the mountains only grown with water with traditional methods.It was like nectar I thought.Then missed this stuff cause commercial took over.When I started growing again i started enjoying smoking my stuff again,loved the taste.When I started vaping,I discovered that I liked the smoke taste cause there was no comparison. First two weeks vaping most tasted the same,when I got a bit 'cleansed',everything was different and tasty.

I'll quote this again :
Sorry but you can't breed or grow tar and carbon out of a plant. Its a taint to the vapor, in any amount. No matter how rich the bud, there's gonna be tar in the bowl. Until you grow a single giant waterballoon trichome on a vine, this will remain true.

I have tried to keep my comments as objective I can ,although the signs I get from my body make it difficult to look away.I have not tried to convince anyone about nothing,except than offer my personal experience.
But love this MJP post
:biggrin:

Now,check this:
'For me it is certain that you have tainted taste sensors,your description sounds like nothing like burning anything taste,you clearly haven't tried cleanly vaping cannabis.'See where I m going there?:)
I think we can be more tactful ,even if the other person has a different opinion and not just call ignorance anytime without knowing the other or one's background.
P.S.Your grow tips are certainly on point.:tiphat:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Question for you JustSumTomatoes- Do you buy your weed from a dispensary? Maybe your lung problems are a result of the shit they spray on weed sold in most dispensaries.
Just a thought.

I've been trying for years to kill myself smoking weed, but I always wake up the next morning, good as new. :)

For years the bud I smoked was bought off the street, so God only knows what may have been in it. All my friends who were smoking the same stuff as me didn't seem to be having the same problems. The past several years I've grown my own organically and could tell it was the smoke itself, not just what may have been in there that was causing me problems. I just know that smoking was harming me personally and that I needed to back off. If you feel perfectly healthy and happy with it than more power to you. There's always that one 90 year old dude who's smoked 2 packs of cigs a day for most of his life and is fine. Others, not so much...

Douglas.Curtis

Nothing is certain except scientifically proven.

I have read many times (from you)that you are one of the few people that make clean cannabis.I can assure you that I started toking cannabis that was raised in the mountains only grown with water with traditional methods.It was like nectar I thought.
I get this very clearly. Perception of quality is all about awareness. The description you have between smoking and vaping, is essentially the same analogy I have between clean and un-clean cannabis. It takes using cleaner product for a while, before you can truly detect the difference. Like giving a gourmet meal to someone raised on McDondald's hamburgers. Their taste awareness literally cannot pick up the awesomely rich flavors of real food.

'For me it is certain that you have tainted taste sensors,your description sounds like nothing like burning anything taste,you clearly haven't tried cleanly vaping cannabis.'See where I m going there?:)
I have vaped my own clean cannabis. I'll chalk it up to low quality vape designs and not having enough experience, since I always want to smoke some flower after vaping. There's something 'missing' in the vape for me, something I only get from smoking flower. Might be a temp/terpene thing as well, since my wife definitely prefers joints and I can't stand the paper. heh

I think we can be more tactful ,even if the other person has a different opinion and not just call ignorance anytime without knowing the other or one's background.
P.S.Your grow tips are certainly on point.:tiphat:
You're correct. My wife is the diplomat and my CBD levels have slipped a bit the last few days. Civility is better for communication anyway, yes. Thank you. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts