What's new

Marijuana legalization in California could hurt Canada's economy, experts say

J

JackTheGrower

Marijuana legalization in California could hurt Canada's economy, experts say

looming referendum in California on whether to legalize marijuana has fuelled a debate among bloggers and pundits over this question: Could legalization in the United States cripple the Canadian economy?

In a column on the Guardian's website this week, B.C. writer Douglas Haddow writes that a move to legalization would be "devastating to the Canadian economy, halting the flow of billions of dollars from the U.S. into Canada."

B.C. marijuana activist Marc Emery -- the self-styled "Prince of Pot" who is awaiting sentencing in the U.S. for distributing cannabis seeds -- recently told a Vancouver indie website that "the homegrown market will evaporate."

Are they just blowing smoke? Not necessarily, some academics say.

Marijuana production generates at least $3 billion annually in B.C. alone -- due, in large part, to heavy demand from potheads south of the border, said Darryl Plecas, a criminology professor at Abbotsford's University of the Fraser Valley.

Follow the link for the rest of the story.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I live on opposite coast from cali and I haven't seen beasters in 3 years either if that clues you in on anything...

Thank God for that btw...Worst pine smelling head ache garbage around, that kind of shit should be illegal lol...

B

Bud Bug

There will be a change but won't be that big of a change and not like Emery is predicting. There's quite a bit of product going out east and the demand is still pretty high. The BC market will suffer more from hot summer days like right now then the kind of legalization they're planning in California.

twiztidbudsmoke

I dont think canada depends on us totally to buy their weed like Emery says, a small percentage mabey, but their weed economy will not crumble because of legalization

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Kalicokitty

"Waaaa Waaaa, Canada and Mexico, parties over.

The party hasn't been in Canada for a long long time. Been sub 3K lbs since '01 up here, even for the creme. Far from what prices are reportedly in Cali.

If you'd look into it, you'd find that smugglers and US growers are yielding much greater dividends than those up in Canada.

I would say pound for pound, Canadian growers are making less - considering the mean quality of herbs - than growers in any other industrialized nation.

-Chimera

slojoe

Here in america it all about $$$$. Ive lived here all my life and the thing I dislike the most is the GREED .Them people who run the dispenserys charge way to much for an oz. of meds.How can they call themselfs COMPASSION CLUBS?

SB7

Not with a Bush clone in power. Harper has stated he'll never legalize nor decrim it . It's the only thing he said that I'd actually believe. They want to increase prison funding, build new private prisons etc... exactly where the US was 30 yrs ago. We're set to try the same failed experiments that the US tried long ago.
We have conservatives in power all over the place, ready to takes us back 50 years.
Just around the corner, one municipality just stopped all legit legal MMJ grows... they're unsafe so we don't want them in our community.
I have no idea why 'mercan's think that Canada is the land of milk and honey , it certainly isn't

icdude

Damn Canucks always got something to bitch about. Freaking hosers ehh..Maybe they should use the same logic to say that Marc Emery should be free and selling beans because its hurting Canadas economy.:tiphat:

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
The party hasn't been in Canada for a long long time. Been sub 3K lbs since '01 up here, even for the creme. Far from what prices are reportedly in Cali.

If you'd look into it, you'd find that smugglers and US growers are yielding much greater dividends than those up in Canada.

I would say pound for pound, Canadian growers are making less - considering the mean quality of herbs - than growers in any other industrialized nation.

-Chimera
I'm just on the other side of the Canadian border, plenty of your stuff is still coming down, maybe not all the way to Cali, but the border states for sure.

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Nah, as quoted in "the union", here are the numbers:

Importation and homegrown sources of cannabis into the USA, and their percentages of the total amount...

Mexico - 40%
Grown at home - 45%
Canada - 5%
Other countries - 10%

As we can see, Canada is the smallest exporter to USA at 5% of the totals. This will not affect our economy much. Well, if we didn't have such a fascist in power, we could legalize, treat it just like alcohol rule-wise, and help save said economy...

But the 1st step is the removal of said fascist from power... :rasta:

Peace

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
hurting the drug cartels is important if we want to send the message that legalization is tolerable. I see the logic, but 'evaporation' does not compute. Many mom & pop ops will fail, but of their own accord.
Hurt their damned economy already! WTF about ours?
Don't you think that with a "legal" Cali market there would be more canadian imports? Just getting the ball rolling.
Peace

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It isn't changing attitudes in the US, it's the conservative govn't of Steven Harper that's to blame.

Or should I call him Steven Abootman (long live South Park!).

I see a day coming soon when the US will be exporting more bud to Canada than they send south.

Latest posts

Latest posts