What's new

MANKIND GUANO

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
The main problem with Humanure is you have to get your pile up to temp and keep it up to temp. Pathogens can spread through human waste if not composted fully. These pathogens can get on food crops and cause health issues. So make sure to wear rubber gloves, wash your hands with anti bacterial soap, and compost fully. GOod luck.

If it's dried out, there's no e.coli, which incidentally is the same bacteria you'll find in horse and cow poop..

BTW, all soap is antibacterial, just lather properly, and use warm water.

h.h.

Veteran
There are few new ideas.
If it's my pathogens being passed back to me or even those of a closed group eating the same food, would it matter? Over time some resistance would be built up.
Now if we have a field worker a little too far from the porti potty. He does his business in the field or out behind the packing shed., contaminating the area. Dirty hands then return to picking fruit. This goes cross country where a few with low resistance get sick.
Personally, I don't want to take a chance without some sort of guarantee of the compost process working. I feel most people feel the same way.
Too bad. There is no way of maintaining nature's balance unless we do return our shit to the earth. Instead we concentrate it creating nitrate problems.
Thus we need some sort of compromise. Some way to work it back into the system.
Exact methods of charring or composting must be established. Using worms as well as second generation compost, if I can make up a term. Use it to grow biofuel with the plant remnants being composted again before use on food crops.
The fieldmouse, starring out the eagle's ass, queried as to how high they were. Finding out they were a few thousand feet in the air, he pointedly asked, " You're not shitting me now. are you?"

TB Gardens

Veteran
Ok. Thank you :tiphat:

I have been giggling like a little school girl ever since I read the title of this thread .. Moses you are cracking me up man, I like your style.

And I'm sorry, but my image of a compost toilet is one that didn't make it over the side of the dumpster ;-) tehehe why is this making me so happy

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
humanure has been a big component of asian agriculture for 4000 years plus

it continues

cuban cigars as well

Bullfrog44

Veteran
If it's dried out, there's no e.coli, which incidentally is the same bacteria you'll find in horse and cow poop..

BTW, all soap is antibacterial, just lather properly, and use warm water.

When would this poop get a chance to dry out? Plus, there are other pathogens than e.coli.

As far as anti-bacterial soap and "non" anti-bacterial soap, the only difference is Triclosan. Triclosan supposedly leaves a layer over the hands which continue to kill germs. But yes, both kill germs. And yes, I would still use anti-bacterial soap just in case.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This forum has matured, last time this subject was discussed most felt compelled to berate anyone that even thought humanure was a possibility.

truth...

well the soil section anyways. I was talking about pee in hydro and most everyone was like..................

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As far as anti-bacterial soap and "non" anti-bacterial soap, the only difference is Triclosan. Triclosan supposedly leaves a layer over the hands which continue to kill germs. But yes, both kill germs. And yes, I would still use anti-bacterial soap just in case.

another comment to add, is to make sure and look at labels at the store, as the content % varies with brand. and always compare pricing / buying in bulk...

haha

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
When would this poop get a chance to dry out? Plus, there are other pathogens than e.coli.

When you compost it properly, it will be clean, and most compost is colonized with other bacteria which will take over their habitat and change it to make it inhospitable..

Triclosan is an antibiotic, if you want to kill germs without helping them develop resistance to antibiotics, hand sanitizers which should be at least 60% alcohol are better as they kill germs in ways that they won't become resistant to any time soon.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thus we need some sort of compromise. Some way to work it back into the system.

Local water company mixes semi digested sewage with green waste from the council , end product is standardised and safe , bagged or by the tonne , brilliant soil conditioner and saves money all round.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
|"Local water company mixes semi digested sewage with green waste from the council , end product is standardised and safe , bagged or by the tonne , brilliant soil conditioner and saves money all round." QUOTE FOOMAR

after doing some research on this i really think it is an issue that is bigger than a growing forum, governments should be doing the research and not leaving it up to the individual!

"oh no not again!"QUOTE SEAN PRICE

yes again, and if you eat more fibre it could happen even more frequently!

one small crap for man, one giant poop for MANKIND GUANO!

One of the issues with industrial (municipal) biosolids that some organic gardeners have issue with is the incidence of contaminates in the municipal black water stream ie: medicine, motor oil, pesticides, and fertilizer.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
contaminates in the municipal black water stream ie: medicine, motor oil, pesticides, and fertilizer.

Thats the problem , shits not what it used to be pre industrial , now contains assorted low level but persistant toxins that would exceed modern HSE directives for field use unless heavily processed.

Commercial pig farms have the same problem and use methane digesters , gas used as fuel and the sludge goes on grassland as fertilizer or deep ploughed under maize.

Historically before mains drainage , human solid waste would have been collected and composted with horse manure on farms supplying local towns , urine went to the tanning and later gunpowder industries , what little food was wasted went to the pigs.

Throwing it in the nearest river worked for a while but we should be sorting this issue out by now and makeing the best use of it as a resource if financially viable.

Montana

Sick...this is sick....understandable if it's a survival concept.....but considering the knowledge and alternatives......why even consider this?...this is the type of fert a multinational agro corporation would use to be cheap and save $$........and they have no concern for quality....just $$....hasn't this subject come up before?.....wtf.......c'mon human race...you can do better....don't shit where you eat you should've learned this by now.....

Mr Jay

Veteran
There is nothing wrong with properly composted human waste. Poop doesn't just go away because you crapped into a puddle and pushed down on a handle. I'm constantly surprised by the complete lack of understanding of how pathogens are transmitted. A plant cannot suck up bacteria and transmit them to you. Composted waste lacks any harmful micros. Animal manure has the same damn coliform bacteria growing in it if it's not properly composted, yet people willingly bare hand that all the time. Same thing goes for slaughterhouse byproducts like blood meal and bone meal. What do you think is swimming around in your bottles of liquid ferts if you use organics? Before you tell someone they are endangering themselves or that they are sick, zoom out your view and take a look at all the things you already do that are way more dangerous and "sick". I applaud anyone creative enough to compost and grow with their own crap. Classic americans, can't deal with their own shit.

Montana

First off I'm not American...and second.....IMO "organic" growers who use bottled "organic" ferts are zombies to the garden store.......we are all free to use whatever methods we want to.......and our opinions......I get it with the human shite....it really isn't that creative and far from cutting edge....we could go on and on about bone and blood and bla bla bla....there are so many ridiculous ideas and opinions coming from the organic/vegan/hippie/whatever crowd........ie: use coco instead of peat, because coco is a renewable resource..........except, coconuts don't grow in north America therefore it's all fuel waste shipping it around the globe for some elitist ideas of what sustainable means, peat bogs are in your backyard....shop local think global?

Sure....there's nothing wrong with it......toilets and sewage systems were invented and are in use for sanitary reasons.........to keep our shit away from us.......to prevent us from getting sick......just because you can compost it, doesn't mean it's a good idea..........and also..just because this is my opinion on the subject..........doesn't mean I am ignorant to the science behind the idea.........animal manure may be similar.....except none of them are grazing on store bought steaks.....

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
like so many subjects different individuals are considering different facets of the stone and throwing their 2c in from their own perspective

literally for millenia, several asian cultures (et al) have relied on humanure for food production; incidences of sickness would correspond mostly to handling issues and not consumption of properly handled foods

the catch; as mentioned; is the source must be viable; if the poo-er is consuming a typical western diet, their manure is not suitable for directly growing food crops / if the poo-er is consuming a mostly vegetable, homegrown or viably produced diet well, maybe

additionally the process can be looked at from varying angles\ who here is suggesting tossing a few turds in a pot and starting your seeds in it? or, who would suggest top-dressing by going out and squatting in the garden?

fuunny i guess caus i havent tried it but, even out of a composting toilet; i would consider that as feed for the compost pile (double processed and hot) or; use that in an ornamental bed perhaps for alfalfa, yarrow, chamomile, et al to be used in the compost pile after growing it out

however, as mentioned there is large production scale farming going on currently in the world where humanure is applied directly to the soil for food crops

typical western municipal sewage IDK; that just sounds like a nightmare - maybe double compost THEN use on ornamental beds for compost feedstocks

lol a minimum of 3 compost piles^^^

yeah forget about the municipal stuff; of course, you all know that it does get returned to the environment right?

earth (the planet) is a pretty good filter

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Triclosan contributes to less effective anti-biotic medications by generating stronger germs. Anti-bacterial soap with alcohol as the active ingredient won't.