What's new

MANKIND GUANO

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Hi was wondering if there is anyone out there feeding their plants with their own poop (aka mankind guano)? yes you read correctly. a couple years ago a friend of mine fed his outdoor crop with the contents left behind in his composting toilet. he had the hugest buds i have yet seen!

my plan is to set up a composting toilet and try this for myself apparently if you leave it to compost for long enough it is absolutely pathogen free... for obvious reasons i will not be posting step by step pics!

sso

Veteran
its not a bad idea if you got the space for it.

human urine certainly does wonders for cannabis, poop propably does the same.

h.h.

Veteran
Apparently?
Use it on your landscaping, compost your landscaping.
If it's your own and you're the only one smoking...I'd tailor my diet. Eating lots of yogurt while avoiding red meats and chemicals. Ever try kelp or alfalfa? Wash it down with some ACT. GF's time of month? A little blood meal. Bone meal? You're on your own.

I

Iron_Lion

There was a guy here a while back that grew with his own fermented turd logs.

S

SeaMaiden

Urine only for me at this time. If we're able to switch to a composting toilet the idea can be readdressed. But! I am of the opinion that using potable water to flush waste is damn near immoral.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I heard that if you live in South America and work in the guano industry and go to a priest to have your poop blessed it is decried HOLY SHIT BATMAN

moses wellfleet

Veteran
i have been checking out compost toilet designs they seem very basic i cant see them operating long term, especially in a warm climate like where i live, without attracting flies and other problems.

still it seems crazy to spend $$$ on guano from little furry flying creatures that live on the other side of the world when the same thing drops out of my back end twice a day, and its free...

may the research continue... thank you for your replies

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
still it seems crazy to spend $$$ on guano from little furry flying creatures that live on the other side of the world when the same thing drops out of my back end twice a day, and its free...

well, for one, you don't need guano.

second, bats and humans are very different, and diet is very different....

moses wellfleet

Veteran
i am trying to be serious here but i am finding it hard to concentrate with all these bad jokes posted here... people stop talking rubbish and start talking shit... shit is what the thread is about!

Bullfrog44

Veteran
The main problem with Humanure is you have to get your pile up to temp and keep it up to temp. Pathogens can spread through human waste if not composted fully. These pathogens can get on food crops and cause health issues. So make sure to wear rubber gloves, wash your hands with anti bacterial soap, and compost fully. GOod luck.

i am trying to be serious here but i am finding it hard to concentrate with all these bad jokes posted here... people stop talking rubbish and start talking shit... shit is what the thread is about!

This forum has matured, last time this subject was discussed most felt compelled to berate anyone that even thought humanure was a possibility.

T

Toes.

it's not a new idea... my grandma's German friends tell me all the time about using their waste for garden fertilizer... back during the depression.

L

LouDog420

^^ Bullfrog hit it on the head...

You've got to make sure it's fully composted otherwise the risk of disease spread is much higher than any savings you might be able to gain IMO...

Generally composting toilets (pit latrines) are moved every year. 1 year for gaining composting materials (aka shit or get off the pot). 1 year to sit and compost (while we use another pit), then the latrine can be returned to the original spot, harvested for fertilizer and re-setup... Lather, rinse, repeat...

I'd rather use it on non-food/smoking crops, or tilled very deep into the soil as an amendment, but even that leaves me a bit weary... No top dressing here ;)