What's new

Mango Sativa style - Grow/Smoke Report

G

Mango
Are you ready for the Mango Sativa Experience?

The seeds were purchased on Seedbay, they came from Gypsy's private seed stash, and here's the description he gave me for them:

....these 'Mango' seeds were made by a breeder called Paul.....he says that they are a 50% sativa....25% Northern Light and 25% Skunk......sounds interesting.....they have been in my seed stash for about a year.....but I have not had the chance to grow them out just yet......

Some notes on my methods of cultivation and setup:
I'm an indoor grower, in soil, and organic to the extreme, which means I give my plants the least amount of (100% organic) nutes possible and only when my plants seem to require it. I use a 400W Philips SON-T Agro in a cool tube for lighting, and the plants are placed under the 400W from start. All of my plants are vegged until they reach sexual maturity, presenting both alternated branching and preflowers before going 12/12. The Mangos were vegged 30 days.

Nutes and Supplements
Bull's blood (pure nitrogen - used in veg)
Plagron Algae Grow
Plagron Algae Bloom
Plagron Phyt-Amin (minerals, vitamins, amino-acids used both in veg and in bloom)
Plagron Repro-Forte
Epsom Salts and an iron supplement

Grow Notes

Planted 4 seeds, germed 4/4, and got three females, of two different phenos, one very heavy sativa dom, and one sativa dom, but faster finishing. The first Mango, object of this report, went 72 days. The other pheno went down at 92 days.

Never would I have imagined these Mangos were to become such MONSTER plants! The plant below is 29 days into flower, she hit almost 6ft at chop. I have just a little over 6ft headroom in my grow, and finished up with 0 space to lift the light, which forced me to do some radical supercropping the last 3 weeks just to keep the damn things from committing hara-kiri against the lamp.

1562Mango29-1.jpg

These Mangos are by no means indicated for indoor growing in small setups. I found out at my own expense :D. The plants were extremely leafy, overly so, but the yeild was excellent, and I expected nothing less given the size of the plants, just outrageous! I had to battle every time my plants needed watering, could hardly figure out which branches and buds belonged to which plants and spent the better part of 4 months continuously pruning leaves to get light to the budsites.

The plants were flowered in 12.5L pots (about 3.5 gallons) and at the end I had to resort to pruning back the roots as they were growing out of the pots, and double potting with 0 headroom is NOT an option :wink: The bud formation was typically sativa, foxtailed, but not overly wispy, though they're not indica-tight either.

Buds were covered with the tiny trichs typical of sativas, very very sticky to the touch. Buds were dried for 10 days, then put into jars and cured for a month.

Smoke Report

Appearance
The buds are various shades of green, ranging from lime to olive to darker shades of forest green, with fairly pale orange colored pistils. Not whispy, but not overly tight either. Trich coverage is very visible.

1562Mango8.jpg

Smell
The smell is interesting. The buds give off a light pungent skunky smell, but when you break them open you get a strong whiff of orange peels, along with some lime tanginess and a touch of fuel. The smell isn't overpowering, but its definitely strong, though the plants themselves were very low odor when growing.

1562BudMango-med.jpg

Taste
The taste is complex, and extremely strong. The first thing perceived is a sweetness on the tip of the tongue, which turns into a sour orange/orange peel explosion on the inhale, and melts into a creamy butterscotch with a whisky bite and that persistent orange flavor in the background on exhale. Again, the taste is extremely strong. Major expansion on this strain, requires tweaking lung capacity :D.

1562Mango7.jpg

High
These Mangos are POTENT. Three hits, you're out! The first thing that hits you is a body SLAM, feels like you've been whacked into the farthest recesses of your couch for eternity....until it hits the head. That's when the fun begins. Clear soaring head high, typical of the finest sativas, no paranoia whatsoever....and you sit there with your mind going a mile a minute wondering why the hell your body is not going at the same speed. You simply feel completely stoned but with the utmost conviction that you can climb Mt. Everest in under 30 minutes :D. Extreme body stone/extreme head high :yoinks: I've considerably upped my tollerance after returning from my judging spree at the IC Cup (gee, wonder why? :rolleyes:), but last night I rolled myself an evening joint, a bit heavier than usual. Hadn't gone through half of it and I started feeling like I was about to pass out...and I was sitting down! The feeling passed and I was able to finish my joint, but it threw me for a loop, that's for sure.

1562Mango5.jpg

I don't know if Gypsy still has these Mangos, and if they'll ever be available again at Seedbay. I won't be growing them out again because of the size of the plants, but would heartily recommend them to someone with much space, and especially height to play with in their growroom. Outside I can only imagine what the proportions of this plant could be. The end result is very worthwhile, really exceptional weed, easy to grow, and the effects are pretty spectacular :pimp3:

Note I'm going to be doing a separate smoke report in this thread for the heavy sativa Mango when she's had her month cure. She looks and smells different from this Mango, and I have no doubt that she will be different all over. Still have the LUI report to do also :wink:

G

Dosen't get any better than that report Blue - great job - you are a top level grower & very good writer.

You take a good pict as well

Many summer time blessings
:wave:

A fat mango bud/ glass of wine / bit of baby swiss & some soft music :chin: :smile:

G

A fat mango bud/ glass of wine / bit of baby swiss & some soft music

Well come on over Fred! I couldn't think of a better program or a finer person to share it with :smile:

Thanks very much for the nice words, I really do wish you were a bit closer by. I'd love to be able to just pop over with some bud and a bottle of wine to sample some BBQ and enjoy your company :D

Summer blessings back at ya, my wonderful friend :wave:

B

baccas125

???

???

Someone said wine??? I will bring the wine if you got the mango!

:woohoo:

baccas

G

Now tha's what I'm talkin' bout!

Now tha's what I'm talkin' bout!

Blue, that is an absolutely perfect report with all the info and grace you could ask for.

WOW...

not that I could ever grow that monster, lol... this report sure makes me wanna smoke some... :smoke:

WOW...

we all should take note on your format and style!

G

Blue I always enjoy reading your smoke reports. Your such a great writer (and grower). Keep up the great work. I look forward to more. peace and *bong* :friends:

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
uhhhh...yeah!

uhhhh...yeah!

DeviLock said:
Blue I always enjoy reading your smoke reports. Your such a great writer (and grower). Keep up the great work. I look forward to more. peace and *bong* :friends:

:yeahthats

just like dev said...your reports are always great, and you're clearly a world class grower. Unbelieveable trich coverage! :yoinks: :canabis:
keep up the good work, blue.

cook

G

Blue
Nice lil smoke report.. with that nice looking mango.. I have always wanted to get some mango. But when found where to get seeds mango became last on my list.. But with this report we will look into getting some to try.. I did hear they turned into monsters.. Which in your case its the obvious.. great work Blue.. peace...

Sack's First Outdoor Grow
Started 12/12.. Pics soon...

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

G

Thank you, thank you and thanks once again! Just trying to provide the CannaCommunity with a bit of info on what they can expect from their grows and final products! Glad y'all enjoyed, the LUI report will be coming up next, and soon :D

BrattPid

Very nice Blue..what size pot would you recommend then if the fems literally burst out of the buckets. I like it how you vividly described the high..like poetry!!

Rolando Mota

Great report Blue! But considering the strain is called Mango, have you noticed any mango-like smells or tastes? I smoked some grass in Hawaii that tasted exactly like a ripe mango and I would love to experience that again. Take care! :wave:

G

Hi Blue!

Hi Blue!

It's a pleasure to hear from you again. Especially with such a fine report. I've growned KC's Mango and i can tell by your report that they are not the same strain. Not even close. Sounds like you got the real Mango right there. Your report is an incredibly enjoyable read. I wish you didn't take the summer off. As I love reading your reports. I just can't wait until your putting something in the Magazane. Thanks for the detailed report and now I'll be bugging Gypsy for some of his private stash. :D

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
xxbluevelvetxx said:
...and you sit there with your mind going a mile a minute wondering why the hell your body is not going at the same speed.

Wow :yoinks:

:yummy::yummy::yummy::yummy:

Happy smokin' :D Looks absutely scrumptious. :joint:

Ms.Grat3ful said:
we all should take note on your format and style!

couldnt agree more :dance::dance:

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
wow what a smoke report and what an excellant job on the grow .would 1 of the mango's be the moose that you had in early veg
great job blue truly awesome looking

G

XXBlue,
What a first class write up,you have got a golden pen AND a green thumb :wave: After reading your report,I can definately say I want to try the mango......mango,mango,mango,,,funny someone named paul made the mango,and in the movie Paulie,a parrot kept repeating mango,mango,mango!Picture perfect Blue :wave:

G

How nice to see everybody :wave:

Bratt, I wouldn't flower these things in anything less than 5 gallons, and if you have lots of room, IMO 6 or 7 would make them happy. These plants gave me the idea that they just can't get enough room for their roots.

Rolando, I also expected Mango flavors, but got oranges instead. And very pronounced at that! On the sour side, but unmistakeably orange :D

Heya Smokey! :smile: Got to keep the level of your forum high! How was the KC Brains Mango? Was it more indica? I wish I wasn't taking the summer off either :wink: Just too much heat to grow decently, so I prefer to shut down. I'll be jammin' again come September, but you'll still see a couple more reports from me very soon.

bartender, thanks for stopping by! Its quite scrumptious, and the end result makes the 4 month long battle (because I didn't grow these plants, I fought with them for over 4 months) :eek: worthwhile after all. I was surprised, I guess I got so tired of keeping the damn things from invading every corner of my grow including the ceiling that I convinced myself they weren't worth the trouble. I was wrong :D

Heya chucky, the Moose was the Puna Budder, which unfortunately hermied in flower, broke my heart she did, that ornery nanner-laden bitch! :whip:

Hi red, nice to see you stop by! Glad you enjoyed the report! When you decide to buy Mango, look around, there are many varieties from different breeders, some sativa dominant, most indica dom or 50/50 :wink:

3legdog

Very nice smoke report Blue...detailed as good as i have seen/read. I grew Nirvanas mango out some 4yrs' ago & noticed rescently that they are not advertising it anymore. Anyway like you i experienced a monster but of more indica dom. proportions that a 400w...imo was not nearly enough penatration for plants that grow this size. Mabey if you really tied her up..& did some supercropping...definetly a monster gene in these mango strains that requires plenty room...my thoughts.

Also Sorry to hear of the ornery nanner-laden b... but thanks for the laugh this morning..hehe.. i ve had a few disappointments over the yrs' myself. Oh well nuf out of me take care all & have a kind weekend Peace out 3ld

edit:i just saw that Nirvana seeds calls there mango 'papaya' i remember it as mango a few yrs' back...mabey jme.

Latest posts

Latest posts