What's new

Man... Let me tell you my story - yield and grams per watt

G`day CAP

Are you aware that 600s are less efficient at producing light per watt?

The 600s produce less light per watt than either 400s or 1000s.
So what he gains in total watts he loses via Lumens per watt.
Also, the 600s burn a lot warmer than a 1K so he can be further away from his canopy and get different amounts of light actually hitting his plants.
Google the reverse square law ...

Thanks for shearing.

EB

The bottom line is: He wanted to replicate his UK grow which used four 1K lights. He is now using two 1K lights and two 600s and is yielding less bud. He is yielding less bud because he is using 800 watts less than his UK grow.

True enough, he could increase his yield if he manipulates his lighting for max penetration and utilizes LST and fan leaf removal, but that won't make up for those missing 800 mutherfucken watts.

:tiphat:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day CAPD

My response was relative to the OP`s question regards grams per watt .

He was achieving 1gpw in the UK now can`t beat 1/2 gpw . That has less to do with whether he is using 1K or 600s .
He was asking about gpw not watts per sq foot .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

colon stewart

Many good responses on this forum and others. I met a local grower now, (off the internet, scary s***), also got allot more strains / seeds now, but they take time.

Going again now with same strain chronic. Have learnt allot about pruning and perpetual harvest from my new friend, who also has a fair few strains I will be grateful to leverage.

Only thing I'm changing immediately is pruning. Going to focus on 4-5 arms per plant, and because of all the extra pruning I think I will end up doubling the number of plants and amount of medium, probably also stagger the harvests and take clones off clones instead of off mothers.

Anyways... I won't know initial results until December.

Thanks for all your responses. I'm not one to talk s*** so won't post again until I know what I'm taking about / have something decent to say.

Thanks again for all your advice

Granger2

Veteran
Colon,
I'm not talking about barometric pressure, I'm talking about number of molecules of CO2 per cu. meter of thin air vs. sea level air. There is less. -granger

again, i'm maybe a novice apprentice in proxy, helping my bud out

not sure what the source was on the "factoid" that air is only 10% less dense at 5000' (1600M) as air density is not only determined by altitude alone, but temperature as well. Barometric pressure is something else entirely

consider that folks report 20-30% higher yields when supplementing CO2 to 1100-1200 ppm in their grow rooms. normal outdoor air is supposedly (from all the sources i see on the web) running 350-400 ppm and 550-600 ppm. So basically doubling their CO2 ppm indoors raises yields 20-30%.

at 5000' air could easily be 15%+ thinner, which also means less free moisture in the air (and from the research i've done, plants use water in combo with CO2, so with both those diminished in the air, yields would drop considerably.

I don't disagree with the posters focusing on the 800w lower light energy but air density has to be playing a major factor

as a fyi, at 10,000' pilots are recommended to use oxygen masks and at 12,500' it's mandatory, as there's so little oxygen available, the human brain doesn't function normally, ie slow response times and can lead to passing out if sustained in that environment for more than 10-15 minutes without supplemental oxygen. At 5,000' you're halfway to the altitude where supplemental oxygen is recommended. Bear in mind, oxygen is a major component of air, while CO2 is not, and CO2 is heavier than air, so i'd suspect all the CO2 is down at lower altitudes

fwiw

Elmer Bud

Veteran
The bottom line is: He wanted to replicate his UK grow which used four 1K lights. He is now using two 1K lights and two 600s and is yielding less bud. He is yielding less bud because he is using 800 watts less than his UK grow.

True enough, he could increase his yield if he manipulates his lighting for max penetration and utilizes LST and fan leaf removal, but that won't make up for those missing 800 mutherfucken watts.

:tiphat:

G`day Folks

Here`s a quizz ;
If I use 4 000 watts and harvest 4 000 grams I`m achieving 1 Gpw no ?
So if I use watts 3200 watts and yield 1600 grams its now .5 Gpw .
The wattage is not the mans issue its Gpw . I`ve seen people yield over 1 Gpw with a 400 watter . So the relationship is not so much about maximum wattage its about using the Watts you have more efficiently . And yes I do think training and more efficient use of said Watts is the key .
Oh and I don`t appreciate when folks quote me and then Edit my post to try and be facetious . TY ...

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G`day Folks!

Here`s a quiz:
If I use 4,000 watts and harvest 4,000 grams, I'm achieving 1 GPW, no?
So if I use 3,200 watts and yield 1,600 grams, it's now .5 GPW.
The wattage is not the man's issue, it's GPW. I've seen people yield over 1 GPW with a 400 watter. So the relationship is not so much about maximum wattage as it is about using the watts you have more efficiently. And yes, I do think training and more efficient use of said watts is the key.
Oh, and I don`t appreciate when folks quote me and then edit my post to try and be facetious. TY ...

Thanks for sharin'.

EB

At heart, I think we agree on how to grow great dope.:dance013:

The original poster pretty much blew us off. Didn't seem to notice our volley of words. He apparently met someone and became infatuated with their knowledge of growing dope.

And that's....okay.

Who the fuck has the money to fund 4,000 watts of juice 12/12 (or more) day after day, month after month? Bloody hell...

:peacock::cathug::blowbubbles:

nigel420

MildeStoner said it: It's your fucken lights, Jack! You're using 800 watts less than you did in the UK. That's a significant difference. Eight hundred bleedin' watts less. How can you possibly scratch your head and wonder why you're now getting less than a gram per watt?:bashhead:

Have you been smoking marijuana?:smokeit:

LOL

Elmer Bud

Veteran
At heart, I think we agree on how to grow great dope.:dance013:

The original poster pretty much blew us off. Didn't seem to notice our volley of words. He apparently met someone and became infatuated with their knowledge of growing dope.

And that's....okay.

Who the fuck has the money to fund 4,000 watts of juice 12/12 (or more) day after day, month after month? Bloody hell...

:peacock::cathug::blowbubbles:

G`day CAPD

Well some one who values herb very highly .
There`s a lot of smokers out there . And they don`t all grow their own eh ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

early_bird

Veteran
You guys ever walked in austria up a mountain? While getting higher you just see needle trees there. You will also discover at about 1800m trees are beginning to disapear.

I think the altitude is a big factor here.
At 1600m carbon dioxide partial pressure is about 18 % lower then in UK. This mean the plants just get less "air" to breathe, at about 18 % i would say in this example here.
If you have moved from a city in UK to the countryside in South Africa, expect also lower CO2 values there. In a city there is usally slightly more.

Maybe some strains who are used to theese altitudes doing better. Something from Afganistan or other highlands may can do some magic here ?

Other option is just to optimise all factors (like you constantly doing). Start with supplemental CO2 whould be a good starting point i guess.

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
Scrog...you will get more than 1 gpw...it can be hard work but worth it in the end
If I was useing that amount of watts I you be rageing if I wasn't hitting 1gpw....

Plus the other factors ...eg diff strain,nutes

Keep it green
Highlander

Latest posts

Latest posts