What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Male hermies arent bad"

Dime

If you induce flowering before the plant is mature you will get more confused/hermie plants. Most strains on the market go to alternate phylotaxy before they are mature and flowering before alternate phylo increases incidence or degree of. If you wait till they show sex you will have better stability.

grod31

Veteran
ask and you shall receive

----
do male Hermaphroditic cannabis plants create Hermaphroditic females
----
ChatGPT
The genetic expression of hermaphroditism in cannabis can be complex. When a hermaphroditic cannabis plant, whether male or female, contributes genetic material to offspring, it can increase the likelihood of producing plants with hermaphroditic traits.
If a male hermaphroditic cannabis plant pollinates a female plant, the resulting offspring might inherit genetic tendencies toward hermaphroditism. However, it's important to note that not all offspring from this cross will necessarily exhibit hermaphroditic traits, as genetic expression can vary.
The risk with using hermaphroditic plants for breeding purposes is that they might pass on genes that increase the likelihood of hermaphroditism in subsequent generations. Breeders aiming for stable, non-hermaphroditic genetics typically avoid using plants with such tendencies in their breeding programs to maintain genetic integrity and reduce the risk of hermaphroditism in their offspring.

Last edited:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Kind of wanted to discuss this concept I've seen theorized a few times: Maybe a "male" plant that throws a few female flowers isn't "bad". Maybe this plant tends to be sensitive to female hormones/whatever female plant signals/triggers, and isn't necessarily a plant with general intersex instability, but a plant that heavily skews towards female flowers, which would be beneficial in actual female offspring. I know the exact mechanism of both flowering and "herming" are still a bit nebulous/hotly debated

Has anyone ever tried a breeding project with "male hermies" x a normal female? It seems every breeder and chucker since the beginning of time has bred against these traits, understandably

I'm basically playing devil's advocate and trying to learn here; I don't necessarily believe this one way or the other
I had a male plant I used in a cross. I let it keep flowering outside after I was done and eventually it threw a few pistils and seeded itself. I got like 7 seeds from it somewhere. Never got around to trying it.

Last edited:

Redrum92

Despite the thread title, there's some damn good info in here, glad I stumbled on it.

The title does directly relate to the info, though. It cites a quote directly related to the discussion/info within, thereby starting the discussion/sharing of information/sharing of opinions.

What do you mean? Are you just saying you disagree with the assertion that male hermies are bad?

Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Can I just quickly point out that any A.I. is just a look up tool for information posted on the web, rather than an actual all knowing intelligence. So it will repeat inaccurate posts where that is what it finds. A better question would be, show peer reviewed scientific papers demonstrating the existence or non existence, of male hermaphroditic cannabis plants, excluding studies carried out on hemp. This may reveal more.

Ecor1

Interesting read, seems to make a number of good points.

Attachments

• muyle-et-al-2021-epigenetics-drive-the-evolution-of-sex-chromosomes-in-animals-and-plants.pdf
    529.1 KB · Views: 26

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
That paper doesn't actually refer to cannabis at all. It includes Drosophila mainly, also talks about lizards and insects, but isn't anything to do with cannabis.

This one includes cannabis, but I'm not sure what it reveals, if anything, I'm just making a note of it here incase I lose it while reading. Often my phone will go and what I'm looking at disappears.

Ah it seems to show that in the active Y lines, only females show male flowers at times, whereas in the X to autosome lines (which to clarify come from the east Asian areas like Laos Cambodia Thailand etc) the "males" in the line will show female flowers.

Table 2. Sexual lability in 22 species with well-described sex chromosomes. The lability types correspond to those summarized in table 1. Am, andromonoecious; Gm, gynomonoecious; M, monoecious; Tm, trimonoecious; H, monoclinous. For species with reported leakiness, the leaky sex is indicated in parenthesis: f, female; m, male; b, both sexes. For clarity, species without reported lability are indicated with a dash in all columns. This table also includes references to the literature on sex chromosomes. For details, see electronic supplementary material, table S1.
Collapse
type of lability

species​
sex change​
leakiness​
trioecy​
references​
Actinidia chinensis[2830]
Amborella trichopodayesAm a (m)[31,32]
Asparagus officinalisAm a (m)H[5,3335]
Cannabis sativayesM, Gm (f)M[21,22,3639]
Carica papayayesAm, Tm (m)H[5,4043]