What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male clones transformed to Female to judge male smoking quality

MadMac

far beyond driven...
I have not had much luck stressing male clones to make them turn female, if you look up the Safety data sheet it does not sound dangerous.
Remember most of the ethephon will rapidly convert to Ethylene...
And as far as I know Ethylene in the amounts we are talking about in a dried mature Cannabis flower will be unimportant.

-SamS

but me :)
after you told me to try out...
now took some time...
but here we are... a few landrace clones, THH and OHz ...
what i'll did...
let the male flower...
in the middle when in full bloom i'll took cut's...
after one week they rooted and started to show pistils...
not all but most... very interesting... only OHz stayed firm...
so my question is now....
after stress testing them... should i'll avoid to use the inter-sexing males?
do they produce intersex plants or more easy plants that show booth expressions?

Tom Hill Haze male... also very resinous... for a male...
IMG_5680.jpeg

here the other cut's.... first is OHz 90'(stable) than Colombian Black than Punto Rojo(booth unstable) and last is Seedsman OHz (stable)
IMG_5681.jpeg

Colombian Black and Punto Rojo(booth unstable)
IMG_5682.jpeg

Seedsman OHz male... resin everywhere... with the 90' male the best i'll have.. booth have amazing amount of resin for males and give amazing results...
IMG_5684.jpeg

90' OHz male in flower...
_3081146.jpeg

_3081141.jpeg

_C150840.jpeg

_C130793.jpeg

_C130799.jpeg
_C150830.jpeg
love those males... they are sooo beautiful...
thank you so much for the haze...
never had so much fun with a plant!
M.:smoker:

MadMac

far beyond driven...
hello,
well here the reversed OHz ... it's a 90' OHz ... also amazing amount of resin...
looks little sad ... but that's maybe from reversing ...
hope to get a few seeds to play with...
this male smokes superb... compared to others... or let's better say it vape's excellent...
i'm really really curious ...
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5743.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	17800947

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5742.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	17800948

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5741.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	17800949

Click image for larger version  Name:	_3131171.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	17800950

Click image for larger version  Name:	_3131173.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	94.8 KB ID:	17800951

Click image for larger version  Name:	_3131175.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	104.6 KB ID:	17800952

Sam_Skunkman... did your haze males also had so much resin?
and why he express it now so strong when reversing?
could make dry sieve from him... such a amount...
the new killer drug... haze male extract... ;-)
meanwhile i'll start to love my boy's more as the girls...
thx
M.:smoker:

funkyhorse

Very interesting topic. While nobody complains when females are used to be father, to use a male to be a mother it seems to be a taboo subject.
I am seeing things I am not understanding well, hope you masters can help me understand what I am seeing.
I am a home grower, this is my first time sprouting full packs and I try to make seed just for myself because of the difficulty bringing the seeds in. It would be easier to just cull males and grow females. Making decent seed is a lot of work
These plants I have are all from seed. They went through an environmental shock and some part of the plant started to produce pistils. The shock was done 19 days ago
I am checking these males everyday and they clearly stopped producing pistils. I was celebrating a little bit too fast. I will not have many seeds from them, just the few they made so far. I hope the picture is clear enough to see it. I had 4 males and I got another one with the same result 3 days ago. The 4 males are only growing eggs/balls now. No more pistils. If I use these stressed males who are becoming males again to pollinize other girls, will the progeny be intersex?
Click image for larger version  Name:	Seedsman haze mm hermie male.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	109.5 KB ID:	17802358

MadMac I have 2 different lines of Colombian Black(Llanera and 1 Colombian Black Bastard girl from GGG). None of them went intersex. I didnt do the environment shock treatment to THH males but I put them into a different photoperiod(14 hours) to test which ones are close to colombian leaning and a couple of them revegged and those are the ones I keep. One THH girl was chopped in half during the move from indoors outdoors but she took it well, no problems.
This is very interesting. I am of the idea that different environments will have different impacts on the strains. Strains you got them to hermie, at my place dont and viceversa. About Punto Rojo, if your line comes from CBG, I had last year 2 Red Snake males which is supposed to be half Punto Rojo and one of them was natural intersex. And there are a lot of reports of different Punto Rojo versions being intersex

I read the whole thread and the previous quote together with this one are the most interesting of the whole thread. It is clear that different teachers have different books.
Master SamS is saying clearly here in his answer to Nevil that the ability to produce pollen is not intersex. So according to this, can I infer that the ability to produce pistils is not an intersex trait?.
Nevil was not breeding Cannabis 30 years ago, he was collecting imported seeds from coffee shops and selling them for 25 cents, I knew him and visited him many times, I also lived in the Netherlands, 25 years maybe true for Nevil.

Originally Posted by Nevil
"I've used fruiting hormones on HzC male to get it to produce female flowers. HzC squared. We still have some of these old seeds. They produced real males and real females.

I've used Gibberelic acid on NL5 to try to get it to produce male flowers. It did, about 5 flowers in a whole room full. The Anthers did NOT contain pollen. NL5 was a true female. A true female will not produce pollen. The ability to produce pollen is a hermaphroditic trait, which may be suppressed, but must be present to produce pollen.

Well this is not true at all that the ability to produce pollen is a hermaphroditic trait, maybe the ability to produce male flowers using environmental stress is intersex, or intersex linked, but I can produce pollen with STS from most "true females". I know that people have gotten NL5 to make male pollen also. Try again with a different regime using the STS.

There is a use for feminised seed in breeding, you get to see what the "males" phenotype is before crossing. 50% of the offspring will be true females, the only way to tell is to try and get pollen from the selected female. If it won't produce pollen it's a true female.

Nonsense, if you want true females then use environmental stress tests to test them to make intersex flowers, but STS will still make male flowers on most of the "true females"

There is a better way to do things and that is to feminise the male to check the phenotype. I did this with my Red and Blue lines of Sk1 and got great results."

It is not better, it is another tool to use. It does work to transform males to female to check some of their traits like Cannabinoid and terpene contents of the transformed male to female clones to be used for breeding. It is not so good to check bud form etc.
-SamS

Have a nice weekend everybody

Limeygreen

Veteran
I grew the colombian black from TLT like Mac did, all but one male produced pistils as well in just normal flowering. I will bet if I stress the other male he will throw pistils too.

funkyhorse

My colombian black male from TLT got the triple combo: was chopped in half, was revegged under 14 hours of light and brought back indoors
All my 5 colombian black plants are firm, boys and girls. Luckily same same with the colombian black bastard girl. I am sure this is environmentally related
It is so interesting that different strains stay firm or intersex according to the environment they are in

Linux

Oh wow, I'm truly amazed with this thread. I have some old seeds (6+ years) and germinated them, only 1 out of 11 survived and it's growing well with some help of low dose of GA3 which really boosted it's growth in 24 hours.

Now it's on its end of 3rd week, it's less than 2 inches tall with only about total of 8 little leaves. Looks healthy.

So I was wondering the probability of this plant being a female... I'll have to assume the worst and consider it to be a male.
Simply due to the fact of solving the issue that this rare seed strain is not being sold or obtainable easily, some kind of "limited edition" strain.
I'll hate to throw the male away and do not want to dilute it's gene, by crossing it with a different female gene simply because I won't be able to enjoy what the original breeder made for the intended female buds.

I thought of the idea of turning this male plant (hopefully it's a female) into a female using "hormones" such as ethylene, so nothing related to stress inducing.
It turns out this thread is exactly what I want to do, all the way back in 2008, wow. I'm gunna have to carefully read through all the 33 pages.
It will be very interesting since I have learned the art of inducing a female cannabis plant to provide male pollen to get feminized seeds years ago.
Now learning the art for the male cannabis plant to produce female flowers and seeds is even more interesting.

If I fertilize the male such as: male x male of it's own clone, in theory I should get at least 25% XX female seeds.

My question is, will this 25% female seeds provide or be similar as to an "authentic" female seed of the same strain line as how the original breeder intended it to be?

Basically what I am asking is, will this 25% female seeds provided from the male cross only, will be similar to the original regular seeds which has females?
I am trying to get the intended female genes back from this strain, using only the male since I only have one male plant.
I just want to know if I need to go through the hassle in cross breeding the 25% female seed strain in order to get the authentic female.

My current plan:
Great, original regular seed turns out to be a male.
Take a clone cutting from the male.
Induce the male clone into a female with Ethephon/Florel/Sensa-Spray or what not (maybe something better out there).
Have the original seed male pollinate the female (cloned male from the original regular seed)
Grow all the seeds provided from the female (cloned male from the original regular seed)
Obtain the 25% females.

Further cross breeding is needed for viable female seeds?
The strain is "NYC-OG" from "Top Dawg", top notch stuff.

Hope this was not too confusing.

Thanks

Linux

Ok, now I have the last living plant of a Super Silver Haze hybrid seed generation and its a male plant and additionally doesn't look much like the mother which is the wanted phenotype.
So I need to make a female version of this plant to make a selfed generation in the hope it segregates into the parents phenotypes.

Now my question is: Is there a european brand with ethephon that they sell freely?

Where I live they want identification and a license and only sold for professional users. WTF
Otherwise I will try to order some florel in the US.

I am trying to do the same, I only have one male from 11 regular seeds of Top Dawg's NYC-OG strain.
10 out of 11 seeds didn't make it. Simply because the seeds are more than 6 years old.
Theres no way in hell I'm gunna throw this one male plant away.

Linux

I don't think this research paper has been posted on this thread. It is an excellent read on the subject:

"Effect of Timing of Ethephon Treatment on the Formation of Female Flowers and Seeds from Male Plant of Hemp (Cannabis sativa L.)"

Study was done by:
Youn-Ho Moon1 , Yoon Jeong Lee1 , Sung Cheol Koo2 , Mok Hur2 , Yun Chan Huh3 , Jae-Ki Chang3 and Woo Tae Park2 * 1 Post-doc, 2 Researcher and 3Senior Researcher, Department of Herbal Crop Research, NIHHS, RDA, Eumseong 27709, Korea

Quick quote:
"To induce the formation of female flowers on male plants, 500 ㎎/L of ethephon was sprayed on plants at soon, seven and fourteen days after primordia formation."

Seems like this is the most recent study published from Korea at 2020.

Link to the PDF file:
http://203.250.217.22/article/JAKO202034965719736.pdf

If for some reason the above PDF link does not work, I uploaded a copy of the PDF file which is uploaded and attached to this post

Attachments

• Effect of Timing of Ethephon Treatment on the Formation of Female Flowers and Seeds from Male ...pdf
    788.2 KB · Views: 121

NEED 4 SEED

I am trying to do the same, I only have one male from 11 regular seeds of Top Dawg's NYC-OG strain.
10 out of 11 seeds didn't make it. Simply because the seeds are more than 6 years old.
Theres no way in hell I'm gunna throw this one male plant away.

Nice one...Dedication is key...

Latest posts

Latest posts