What's new

Male clones transformed to Female to judge male smoking quality

Limeygreen

Veteran
When you mix the florel solution it is better to use it sooner than later. It is an acid and I have used it for tomatoes (etheral and florel same thing different name different price) and the solution gets changed out everyday but mix for fresh results and consistency as we need so no more than an hour or two does it sit around.

Sometimes we would mix potassium bicarbonate in the solution to adjust the pH and avoid speckles on the fruits, if you do this when spraying male plants do you see less burn on the leaf or because you're spraying ethylene anyways it just damages the leaf no matter what?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
XX is a female, YY is produced by selfing a XY male temporarily transformed to express female then used times another XY male.
25% of the seeds of an XY x Xy will be YY or should be.
The only way I know to test is to take the material to a cytology lab they charge a small price to test and confirm what the plant is XX, XY, or YY. Maybe others can do it now, I used a cytology plant lab in the Netherlands.
If it is YY and you cross it with a normal XX female every seed made will be XY male so that is another way to confirm that you have a YY male. Is every seed made a male only?
-SamS

A Century of Sex Determination in Flowering Plants
Alex Harkess and Jim Leebens-Mack

https://watermark.silverchair.com/e...klLlT1A7ctqTvVwnf6Ah4obSqvQv_UZg96TrWEaPhgP3-

SamS- how does one confirm if its XX or YY?

Last edited:

NEED 4 SEED

Ok, now I have the last living plant of a Super Silver Haze hybrid seed generation and its a male plant and additionally doesn't look much like the mother which is the wanted phenotype.
So I need to make a female version of this plant to make a selfed generation in the hope it segregates into the parents phenotypes.

Now my question is: Is there a european brand with ethephon that they sell freely?

Where I live they want identification and a license and only sold for professional users. WTF
Otherwise I will try to order some florel in the US.

M

Mr D

I think Cannaninoid and Terpene profiles will be very similar to the females of what ever strain you reverse males.

Nonsense that is not true. You transform many Males of a given variety to Female and each is a little different. Then you use the one you want.

-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

NEED 4 SEED

I think Cannaninoid and Terpene profiles will be very similar to the females of what ever strain you reverse males.

If you're talking to me, I think this could only work out in a very inbred scenario. But my plant is from a very hybrid cross, thx.

M

Mr D

If you're talking to me, I think this could only work out in a very inbred scenario. But my plant is from a very hybrid cross, thx.

No I wasn't, it's a general statement not directed at anyone.

On a side note:

I remember when Uncle Ben pondered out loud about smoking males for breeding purposes. I find it as silly now as I did then.

You can pick out a vigorous male with strong stems but it's no guarantee those traits will be passed along to his progeny. Same goes for any male you smoke to determine it suitability for breeding.

So you proved this with testing by transforming many males of the same variety and they were all the same? Or are you just guessing? I did the work and found many different Terpene and Cannabinoid expressions in the Males I transformed to Females, maybe you should test then talk?
-SamS

Last edited by a moderator:

PurpleBuz

Ok, now I have the last living plant of a Super Silver Haze hybrid seed generation and its a male plant and additionally doesn't look much like the mother which is the wanted phenotype.
So I need to make a female version of this plant to make a selfed generation in the hope it segregates into the parents phenotypes.

pondering ...

I reverse a male to produce female parts and let it self pollinate and 25% of the seed is female and homozygous for over 99% of its genes.

That seems like an incredible breeding tool. :peacock:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
pondering ...

I reverse a male to produce female parts and let it self pollinate and 25% of the seed is female and homozygous for over 99% of its genes.

That seems like an incredible breeding tool. :peacock:

It will not be homozygous for over 99% of it genes why do you think that? A selfed transformed male times the same male will not make homozygous unless the male was already homozygous.

-SamS

Last edited:

PurpleBuz

It will not be homozygous for over 99% of it genes why do you think that? A selfed transformed male times the same male will not make homozygous unless the male was already homozygous.
-SamS

yes you are right, I was thinking of the X Y chromosome pair. In which the XX in the child female would be homozygous for that chromosome pair. That seems to have value.

funkyhorse

Master SamS, thank you very much for the bump
I didnt know exactly what to do with them. This is the result of environmental stress without expecting something like this would happen, I have no access to ethelon or other chemicals. Now I am also testing males by chopping half of the plant

I didnt know if it was better to be self pollinated or pollinated by other
Now they are in the male room and they are being open pollinated by 4 different colombian lines(Seedsman Hz, Ohz 90, CG72 and LLanera, all colombian males from these lines are resinous to very resinous and it makes them different from the males from other genetics, is it a colombian trait?), Kerala, Ukhrul and a cultivators choice Ohz x Skunk#1 . I will not know who the father is. I think I will have plenty of seeds to check this stuff, I am seeing seeds in 3 different plants and there will unavoidably be seeds in a 4th plant.
XY = male
XX = female

Females turned to male have only XX so when bred to a normal female XX the result is always XX, female.

Males turned to female are XY so when bred to a normal male XY the results are half the seeds are XY male, and 25% are XX female, And 25% YY male if they can survive, because YY often do not.
Get it?
Sorry for any mix-up earlier.
-SamS

Try this , use XY x XY as the parents.
http://www.changbioscience.com/genetics/punnett.html

Punnett Square

XY x XY

...X Y
X XX XY
Y XY YY

Genotype Frequencies:
XX: 1 ( 25% ) female
XY: 2 ( 50% ) male
YY: 1 ( 25% ) male if it lives

So science says 25% normal girls and 50% normal boys? Or 33/66% also a very good number? What about smoking quality, effects? Is it unaffected as well? If the answer is yes, I am customer. I will certainly grow this stuff, I am very curious about this and I will have plenty of seed to choose from. I am lucky, this is much better forecast than what I expected
Seedsman haze mm hermie seed.jpeg
Seedsman haze mm seeds.jpeg

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont think you'll get any useful info from this after working on my sts tech. Even reversals of my best resin producers produces very little resin.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I dont think you'll get any useful info from this after working on my sts tech. Even reversals of my best resin producers produces very little resin.

I think you missed the point we are talking about transforming males to female and they can be smoked as no STS is used. And for sure some males transformed to females have as much resin as elite females resin. Some do not, you can use what male you think is best.
-SamS

Latest posts

Latest posts