What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male clones transformed to Female to judge male smoking quality

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you hit it with a true male would it make male seed sam??

how would you play a "make a male" project.....i here you grew 1000`s to find your recessive skunk dady

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
I thought it was valuable so I mentioned it, shame I didn't think of it 10 years ago before all the seed breeders stopped using males and now mostly seem to use STS transformed females as males for pollen, as all female seeds sell for more...
Anyway it should be tried as it allows you to express all the normally female traits in a male (by transforming to female) and judge it for qualities that are concealed in males. Then decide if you want to use the male for breeding or not. Seems almost to good to be true. I will try it as soon as I get some ethephon, maybe next week.

-SamS

Go on Sam, Knowledge like this is very important for community and means a true progress. As you said, most seed sellers are reproducing towards fem market, it's simply more lucrative. In Spain situation is dramatical. 98 % seed sales past 2 years have been in feminized format. Now spanish growers havent got easily access to good true males from commercial strains, this is a complete degradation of our breeding scene.

Im not against fem reproductions, STS and reversal products are only a breeding tool more, but what is really important is the breeding and efforts that breeder spent in the line, standard or feminized.

It's easy to get a duch elite mother and self her with STS, or mix 2 different elite clones but this is not breeding, this is crossing others work without add anything ... but STS and other reversal products could be very useful for other experiments, i like the idea to explore male reversion, as you said Sam, not only would reduce initial male selections, it also gives you a nice idea of her female expression before try lot of plants and child lines.

Last edited:

JWP

esbe the idea is true.

getting the males to grow female flowers.. well this may take some time. but its only a matter of time as i can see.

the future looks good :rasta: rather the idea of the future looks good

JWP

One last thing before i go snooze.

The problem here will be in finding true males for reversing. Males without intersex genes. Or this could turn into a big a mess as female seeds. The polution to the collective genes pool from reversing females with intersex genes to make female seeds is to much to comprihend.

The key in this experiment will be finding a way to stress males into producing female flower then eliminating the intersexed males.

I know a lot of people producing female seeds are NOT using true females. "Stacking" intersex genes. The problem lies with finding a good way to find true males :2cents:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
englishrick said:

how would you play a "make a male" project.....i here you grew 1000`s to find your recessive skunk dady

I am not sure but I don't think so, try it. I have heard that this method make females that are often sterile, but even if not sterile, to make all male seeds is not so simple as this. With females that are turned male there is no Y only XX so you get all female seeds, when a male XX is crossed with a normal XX female. With a male turned female both X&Y are there so I doubt a female transformed to male will make all male seeds. Maybe you need to find or make a super male YY and cross it times a normal XX female, you should get all XY, male? I think so.

-SamS

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sam is not talking about stressing the male

hes talking about applying something to change it in different way....nothing to do with stress

am i wrong??

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
JWP said:
One last thing before i go snooze.

The problem here will be in finding true males for reversing. Males without intersex genes. Or this could turn into a big a mess as female seeds. The polution to the collective genes pool from reversing females with intersex genes to make female seeds is to much to comprihend.

The key in this experiment will be finding a way to stress males into producing female flower then eliminating the intersexed males.

I know a lot of people producing female seeds are NOT using true females. "Stacking" intersex genes. The problem lies with finding a good way to find true males :2cents:

I bet if you stressed males they would show intersexed flowers, not many people have done this but I am pretty sure it will work. It did when I light stressed a bunch of males to see what would happen, a few showed female flowers. I have no idea if the same genes are responsible for producing intersexed plants in males and females. But you can find them.

englishrick,
It is not the same but you do not want to use a male carrying any intersexed genes if you can avoid them.
-SamS

Last edited:

JWP

englishrick said:

No you hit the nail on the head with this question rick.

You would want a true male & a true female

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so if you turn a male into female then polinate the "shemale" with true male polen ....this dose NOT make male seeds???

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry ...

it was just getting a little confusing....i just wanted to clear it up??

i wish i had your knolage sam...your so lucky...i hope i get to your level someday

im trying tho....herb is turnin into my lifes work.....i want it to mean something too....

ive not got it yet ....but il keep readin your post till i do

Last edited:

JWP

SamS yeah i have seen on more than one occasion when people stress the crop its not just the females that hermie but also the males. though i have never been %100 on this.

englishrick the scenario your suggesting should in theory give all male beans the same way with female beans.

Thats why with this project where we want to just reverse the male for "testing" female properties you would want true male & females only. Totaly eliminate intersex genes from the equation and "stack" the genes responsible for true breeding plants

Edit: lol i dunno its late, cant think straight. will chime in again tomorrow for sure :rasta:

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
330710245Mendel--s-Law.jpg
[/QUOTE]

im using this to help me understand,,,,,is this ok??

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
XY = male
XX = female

Females turned to male have only XX so when bred to a normal female XX the result is always XX, female.

Males turned to female are XY so when bred to a normal male XY the results are half the seeds are XY male, and 25% are XX female, And 25% YY male if they can survive, because YY often do not.
Get it?
Sorry for any mix-up earlier.
-SamS

Try this , use XY x XY as the parents.
http://www.changbioscience.com/genetics/punnett.html

Punnett Square

XY x XY

...X Y
X XX XY
Y XY YY

Genotype Frequencies:
XX: 1 ( 25% ) female
XY: 2 ( 50% ) male
YY: 1 ( 25% ) male if it lives

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thankyou for simpyfing .....good trick with the xy xx parent change....i just clicked

this is it then......[xy male turned female] x [xx female turned male].....= "a few" xy an xx seeds...resulting in both male and female offspring...

wickid....

this means.......males are one cromazone from being female,, females dont have the male cromazone .....males have both

awsome...

so if i undrestand this corectly......(xy) x (xy).....= "a few" xx and "a few" xy.....maybe... im hoping i got this right

if so....maybe (xy) x (xy) is where real hermis come from

Last edited:

JWP

i can see y lol. sory englishrick i wasnt reading your post properly just skimming through.
i was kidding myself. cant sleep at all, just lying there with my mind racing with thoughts about this.
lol its funny but when i had my 1st grow i was so worried about getting the enviroment right as not to make anything hermie.
now i see the most important thing is to make everthing that will hermie hermie.
going to have to go to macas and get some cheesebugers to wake up a little :Bolt:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dont worrie man.....i skim all the time ...half asleep...

the thing to remember here is.........hermi plants have had genetic trauma....some plants are free from trauma and are ok to s1 because the hermi trait is not imbedded in the genetics yet....s1`s hav decreeced yealds, so there is some trauma, just not point of heredity herming...

am i wrong??

macy d`s will give you hermies....try a can of tuna...lol

Last edited:

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aa = male .....AA = female....

Aa x Aa

AA.... 25%
Aa.....50%
aa.....25%

amazing............but what dose it mean??.......

what is aa??

Last edited: