What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi @revegeta666 ,IMO, cobbing doesn't make it stronger just different, but in a better way.
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use a milder Sativa. If it's good weed then you'll get good cobs. Zamal x Jamaica sounds perfect. Just eat or smoke smaller amounts. You'll love it.

Another example of the magic of cobs:
This morning my wife came home from the hairdressers ( A lovely man and bigtime Punk Rock Musician). I'd given him a small sample of some Panama Cob to try recently and he told her how it had helped him with his low mood but that he'd run out. I don't sell my cobs but I do give bits to friends. When we first moved to Spain this man befriended us and looked after us.
Needless to say but he now has sufficient of my best euphoric cob to keep our village in haircut's for a while.

Cobs are magical.

Red Say's "Make sure you chew your Cob"
View attachment 18728284
I'm in love just look into those eyes ha ha. That horse loves you brother.

Taima-da

I get that about the aromas I have a Swazi I fermented too long and now its not appealing to chew but the high is worth it ha ha.
Unlike the Mulanje and its crosses the smell sucks me in every time ha ha. I promised myself I would take a day off today.
Made it until lunch time and then broke down and had about 1/10th of a gram ha ha buzzing along very nicely really love this stuff.

Thats the thing about this cob curing it builds character, going the extra mile for the brotherhood ha ha.
Yeah, it was hard to get to a dry enough starting state this year with constant 100% humidity even after more than a week hanging, so colours developed real fast and I may have over shot the mark, but I'm drying off a bit earlier to stall the process and see how she goes.
Not going to worry too much because I know it'll work just fine, it's not as fermented as all that, and certainly not as far as I've gone in the past.🤞

revegeta666

@revegeta666 I'm in the Granada region or thereabouts. And if you are to find yourself this way, you'd be welcome to call in a sample my cobs, As would any of you fine fellows. I don't think it's possible to eat cob regularly and not be a decent person. Eating cob changes people's outlook on life for the better IMHO
That's very nice of you sir, I am in Castellón, so we are not that close although the landscape looks the same haha. Same to you, if you are ever near where I live you're welcome to come for lunch and I can surely offer you some buds you'd like in exchange for a taste of your cobs. I'm sure my mother in law especially would benefit from eating some of it regularly :D That should be motivation enough for me to try to make some hahahah

Taima-da

Well, I can say that chewed this KA5H cob has the classic old Dutch coffee shop type hazey haze flavour, spiced cigar box full of church incense.
Still a touch of green in the flavour with some peppery warmth, I'm sure it will improve with a little more age.
The come up is quite strong feeling, almost trembling with that "holy shit-where is this going?" kind of feeling of one can get when coming up on some other psycho-actives.
About duration, clarity and how active I am on it, yet to see, but I'll let you know. So far, so good!

Taima-da

Well, it was good, still is, but I think in a few months it will gain in the clarity dept.
Plus I got pretty wiped out for a part of the day, reminded me of the days as a teen after smoking one too many bongs and getting that "fully saturated" feeling.
I must admit that a few hours in I did top up with a tiny skerrick of a more aged cob, which I normally don't do, as the feeling was great for music but not quite hitting all the buttons... I usually find this the case with young cobs of any variety though... The added skerrick certainly did the trick.😉
All in all good day, and as you mentioned Onboard, a good base to start from. I think after another six months it will be, by itself, totally transformed, and transforming.

Tangwena

Veteran
I usually find this the case with young cobs of any variety though.
Absolutely agree my friend yesterday I tried a 12 month old cob of the Mulanje x Malawi/ Ethiopian that was a yellow color.
When I first tried it after 3 months it was very pedestrian and stony but now its very electric and a total trip out.
I will have to do further in depth testing today ha ha just to confirm it ha ha.
I couldn't be happier.
Also the Mulanje that had the tall spear and Christmas tree look. It was very stony at 3 months and I have heaps of cobs from her. I cant wait to sample her now at 12 months.
img_0760 (2)-web.jpg

Maturing your cobs changes everything if they are properly cured in the first place.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
After reading some cob high descriptions in another thread by Taima-da and Tangwena, I'm ready to try this again. I have cobbed some in the past including Kali Mist, Ethiopian, OT Haze, and I have a new candidate that i'm about to harvest, landrace Manipuri. It is very loose, never finish, type sativa.

As it is winter here I will need heat. The only thing I can think of is maybe sticking it in a crock pot on low with a damp tea towel for a couple of days? Do you think this would work, or do you have any other suggestions?

Tangwena

Veteran
After reading some cob high descriptions in another thread by Taima-da and Tangwena, I'm ready to try this again. I have cobbed some in the past including Kali Mist, Ethiopian, OT Haze, and I have a new candidate that i'm about to harvest, landrace Manipuri. It is very loose, never finish, type sativa.

As it is winter here I will need heat. The only thing I can think of is maybe sticking it in a crock pot on low with a damp tea towel for a couple of days? Do you think this would work, or do you have any other suggestions?
I regularly cure cobs in winter its no hassle. Given your description of the plant I would suggest long slow curing.
Do you have a heat mat the kind you use for germinating seeds? If you do that would be fine wrap the sealed buds in a towel as you dont want to cook them and leave it for 12hrs that should be more than enough.
Also not too moist this will slow down the cure. After you see a slight color change remove the heat and just keep them at room temp.
There must be a place in your house with a warm constant temperature it doesn't need to be hot.
I have had good results with no sweat at all and just room temp for a couple of months, there are many different ways and outcomes. Just keep opening the bag and sniffing the contents every couple of weeks before resealing them again.
Once you get a smell thats appealing to you dry the buds to smokeable level and reseal to age for 3 months or longer.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I regularly cure cobs in winter its no hassle. Given your description of the plant I would suggest long slow curing.
Do you have a heat mat the kind you use for germinating seeds? If you do that would be fine wrap the sealed buds in a towel as you dont want to cook them and leave it for 12hrs that should be more than enough.
Also not too moist this will slow down the cure. After you see a slight color change remove the heat and just keep them at room temp.
There must be a place in your house with a warm constant temperature it doesn't need to be hot.
I have had good results with no sweat at all and just room temp for a couple of months, there are many different ways and outcomes. Just keep opening the bag and sniffing the contents every couple of weeks before resealing them again.
Once you get a smell thats appealing to you dry the buds to smokeable level and reseal to age for 3 months or longer.
Thanks, yes I have a heat mat, but would have thought you needed more heat than that? Anyway I will do as you suggest.

StickyBandit

If you have an aquarium heater you can use that to keep a container of water at 30°c or whatever it needs to be and put it in a chilly-bin/esky/icebox with the cob in a container floating in it. If the cob is in a vacuum pack you could float it direct in the heated water in the chilly-bin/esky/icebox. I have used this method for popping seeds and it's fairly accurate :)

Last edited:

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Thanks Tangwena for this great journey trough 261 pages of gold. It was a pleasure to See the development over the years and i sucked all Infos like a sponge. I feel ready to go this road :cool: I just try to Follow my nose and my intuition. Cant wait to chew my first cob. This Christmas could get holy:dance013:

Seems like you are a very grounded Person, this Thread is Full of Love and i cant find bad vibes!

I will let you know if my Cob Start comes closer :thank you:

Calle

Onboard

It's that time of year again! :smoke:

IMG_2420_cut.jpg

A couple of Rosenthal fems, plus a Blueberry reg, all from Oaseeds bulk seeds.

The cobs this time are LOUD! And I am getting completely new aromas, like menthol and incense, plus lots of the familliar fremented fruit candy and wintergreen. Very excited!

In contrast, the jarred Rosenthals all smell bland, weak and generic, although they look frosty. The R5 buds were so unexciting that I didnt keep a single bud for smoking, but the cob has an elegant note of an unlit Nag Champa incense stick.

IMG_2423_cut.jpg

R11 and R22 both have a wintergreen/menthol freshness, but R11 also a dirty chemical background like a mix of chlorine, sulfur and hydrochloric acid. Wierd, but exciting!
IMG_2422_cut.jpg

These were all kept at 40C for 12 hours (using a seedling heat mat), and have then been kept 30C for a week by now, in corn husks and vacuum bags.

The starting buds were drier than I had planned for, so I was a bit worried that I had missed the window. I haven't had any condensation at all so far, only some slight loss of vacuum, after several days at 30C. But the familliar fermented fruit plus the new aromas are very reassuring!

I kind of regret that I kept too for much jar curing, so I am contemplating to try to cob some more, from buds that have stabilized in the 60-65% RH range (after about a week in the jar). Even though most of these are now well in the smokeable range.

Did anybody here try to cob buds from a jar, after over a week, at 60-65% RH? Is it too dry then, or are the buds "dead" already?

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Looking great @Onboard.

I've done it with weed that as dry as you talk of. I would suggest using a fair degree of heat and just leaving it. Don't worry about sweating/drying and then fermenting, just bag it up and keep it warm for a good period of time (several weeks) and it should work. Providing there's some slight moisture in the buds then it will work.

Good luck

Onboard

Looking great @Onboard.

I've done it with weed that as dry as you talk of. I would suggest using a fair degree of heat and just leaving it. Don't worry about sweating/drying and then fermenting, just bag it up and keep it warm for a good period of time (several weeks) and it should work. Providing there's some slight moisture in the buds then it will work.

Good luck
Thank you so much for the kind words and the prompt reply, dear @Hombre del mont !!

Do you have a suggestion for the temperature range for the sweat-less cobbing? Are we talking warmer than the 30C ish which I normally use for the normal cob maturing?
I was thinking to do 40C (or maybe 50C) for 12h (without drying in -between) and then 30C for several weeks.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I was thinking to do 40C (or maybe 50C) for 12h (without drying in -between) and then 30C for several weeks.
that should do it perfectly. Just do the high temp for 12 hrs and the just leave it at 30 or so for a while. When you open it in several weeks time it'll be ready for drying I'm pretty sure.
Just do whatever feels right and all should be good.

Please take some photos though. Even though we can't be there to smell them, the photos help us all in our quest to improve our skills.

2nd dose of cob coming on strong now. Yippee!

Latest posts

Latest posts