What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
decarbing isn't the "aim" of the sweating process at all?
I dont think decarbing is even close to the result you want in cobbing.
I have never believed in decarbing myself there is a lot of stuff taken as fact by the cannabis community that I find hard to understand.
All you need is pot that has the effects your after, cob curing just amplifies those effects and makes it smoother to smoke.

All the things @Taima-da mentioned above have some effect on what you feel when chewing cob.
I dont understand the science behind it and dont care to know. But I know heavy smoking tolerance has a lot to do with it from first hand experience and that of heavy smokers I know.

The most critical is good pot well cured.
Just having a go at making a cob or two and then having a go at chewing it is so far from a good cure it has fail all over it.
You need commitment and talent both in growing and curing before you get results.
Although you can still smoke a badly cured cob you cannot get results from chewing it instantly.

It is worth persevering though. The chewed effects are a new experience and very different to smoking.
If you post pics of your buds and your cobs during the process experienced member here can guide you.
If your truly interested in this new experience we can def help you.

LHC

Hi @Tangwena
Reading through the Zmaldelica thread right now, and you have convinced the to try cobbing. I started to read this thread from the beginning, but it seems the method has changed a bit, pictures are missing etc.
You now if there are a tutorial somewhere, or do I just have to read the thread?

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi @Tangwena
Reading through the Zmaldelica thread right now, and you have convinced the to try cobbing. I started to read this thread from the beginning, but it seems the method has changed a bit, pictures are missing etc.
You now if there are a tutorial somewhere, or do I just have to read the thread?
The reason it changes is because their are many variations but below is a basic how to.

The best way is to dry the buds until the outside leaves (sugar leaves are dry) but the bud itself retains a small amount of moisture inside.
You should be able to roll a joint and smoke it but the joint will go out if you dont keep dragging on it.
Also the bud stalks can bend but not snap.
This is a most important stage get this right and most everything else will follow.

Page 345 shows the sort of color change you should look for when sweating the buds.
Temps for sweating should be low 30 to 35c during the sweat the higher the temps the faster the sweat occurs.
Once you get the sweet hashish type of smell dry it slowly until its dry to the touch but still a little moist in the center.

Reseal to age check weekly for the first month drying any time it feels moist to the touch.
After a month dry again slowly and then reseal to age 3 to 6 months although anytime after the first month you can smoke it.
But for chewing you need the aging to get the best effects.
Post pics of the buds and at every inspection there are lots of master curers her to give you instant advice.

LHC

Thank´s a lot @Tangwena

Is sweating and aging all done in vacuum seal?

So: Dry, wrap in husk, vacuum seal, sweat in steady temp 30-35*C for 24-48 hr, dry cob if it wet, reseal, ferment 25-30*C for a month. Check weekly for moisture. After a month, dry again slowly (can you explain this step more in depth?), reseal age 3-6 months.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thank´s a lot @Tangwena

Is sweating and aging all done in vacuum seal?

So: Dry, wrap in husk, vacuum seal, sweat in steady temp 30-35*C for 24-48 hr, dry cob if it wet, reseal, ferment 25-30*C for a month. Check weekly for moisture. After a month, dry again slowly (can you explain this step more in depth?), reseal age 3-6 months.
Yes every stage is in vacuum sealed bag. Except of course when you open it to inspect and dry any surface moisture.
Its not hard once you get the hang of it. Just take note of the changes in appearance and aroma.
You cant destroy it even if you get it completely wrong you can still smoke it and get high.
When you see and smell the aromas of a good cure you will be hooked I'm sure.
You can use higher temps at every stage but its better to start slow and low until your familiar with the changes, as they happen a lot faster at the higher temps and its easier to miss the best stages.

If your unsure please post pics of every stage and one of the more experienced members will answer your questions fast enough I'm sure.

Also dont stress over it as the changes happen slowly and can be easily adjusted.

LHC

Sounds good @Tangwena :rasta:

I think a have a good overview over the process, just a couple of small things are unclear.

1. After a month, you say "dry again slowly". How long time are you drying?

2. Do you dry the corn husk before wrapping?

3. If I can´t find corn husk, what do you people use as an alternative?

best regards

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi @LHC ,

sorry I can't answer number 2, only take a guess and that would be no, but I'm sure someone who uses corn husks will reply shorty.

Number 1, what we're trying to do at this stage is to stop any further fermentation, so several days. We want to get rid of virtually all the moisture. It's difficult to be precise, but certainly longer than it took at the other drying stages.
Like everything else about cobbing, it's a bit of an art; we're all learning all the time. Everyone's cobs are a little different and an exact time can't be given, (imo).
Not all of mine are always dried correctly but there's nothing wrong with opening them up in another month, just to check and then drying a bit more if required. I think initially we all tend to under dry them; I certainly did.
As our great teacher and leader has already said, you can't mess it up.

Number 3, a lot of us use nothing at all, just roll them up with whatever degree of compression you like and whack them straight into a vacuum bag. At least with the vacuum bags it's easy to observe the colour changes.
You can just use baking paper and bind it up tightly with some hemp twine and whack that into the vacuum bag; I did that several times with good effect.
I've never tried corn husks and keep threatening to do so, but just haven't got round to it. In honesty I'm not sure I ever will; I've had several people tell me this year that they have never smoked anything as good in their lives! But I do start with 100% quality Sativa genetics.

I tend to compress my cobs so that they are rock hard at the finish. I push them into a pvc tube using the wrong end of a wooden spoon. Once the tube is full of compressed buds, I just push out it and put them in a bag. If you do a search in this thread of some of my posts from aground last November/early December you'll find my way of doing them with lots of photos. Everyone had their own technique and all work well.

However you go about it; Good luck on your new adventure!

"You'll love it, it's a way of life"

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Sounds good @Tangwena :rasta:

I think a have a good overview over the process, just a couple of small things are unclear.

1. After a month, you say "dry again slowly". How long time are you drying?

2. Do you dry the corn husk before wrapping?

3. If I can´t find corn husk, what do you people use as an alternative?

best regards
I think Hombre answered most of your questions as far as technique goes.
The corn husks are not needed I only use them if I have them on hand.
Just nude in the vacuum bag works great and most of mine are done that way because I'm lazy ha ha.
Just post pics as you go you will get good advice on this thread its easier than it looks.
I'm addicted to everything about it from growing right through to chewing it its just magic.

LHC

Hi @LHC ,

sorry I can't answer number 2, only take a guess and that would be no, but I'm sure someone who uses corn husks will reply shorty.

Number 1, what we're trying to do at this stage is to stop any further fermentation, so several days. We want to get rid of virtually all the moisture. It's difficult to be precise, but certainly longer than it took at the other drying stages.
Like everything else about cobbing, it's a bit of an art; we're all learning all the time. Everyone's cobs are a little different and an exact time can't be given, (imo).
Not all of mine are always dried correctly but there's nothing wrong with opening them up in another month, just to check and then drying a bit more if required. I think initially we all tend to under dry them; I certainly did.
As our great teacher and leader has already said, you can't mess it up.

Number 3, a lot of us use nothing at all, just roll them up with whatever degree of compression you like and whack them straight into a vacuum bag. At least with the vacuum bags it's easy to observe the colour changes.
You can just use baking paper and bind it up tightly with some hemp twine and whack that into the vacuum bag; I did that several times with good effect.
I've never tried corn husks and keep threatening to do so, but just haven't got round to it. In honesty I'm not sure I ever will; I've had several people tell me this year that they have never smoked anything as good in their lives! But I do start with 100% quality Sativa genetics.

I tend to compress my cobs so that they are rock hard at the finish. I push them into a pvc tube using the wrong end of a wooden spoon. Once the tube is full of compressed buds, I just push out it and put them in a bag. If you do a search in this thread of some of my posts from aground last November/early December you'll find my way of doing them with lots of photos. Everyone had their own technique and all work well.

However you go about it; Good luck on your new adventure!

"You'll love it, it's a way of life"
Thank´s a lot for sharing your knowledge @Hombre del mont
I found the pics of the compressor tube you have. That seems like a good option. I will probably try out both this and rolling in something. Husk or baking paper.
It seems the husk should be dry, or at least I have found some pictures in the thread showing dry husk.

LHC

I think Hombre answered most of your questions as far as technique goes.
The corn husks are not needed I only use them if I have them on hand.
Just nude in the vacuum bag works great and most of mine are done that way because I'm lazy ha ha.
Just post pics as you go you will get good advice on this thread its easier than it looks.
I'm addicted to everything about it from growing right through to chewing it its just magic.
When you nude vacuum, how do you compress the buds?

Tangwena

Veteran
When you nude vacuum, how do you compress the buds?
You can use anything really I use a sushi rolling mat.
But you dont really need anything the vacuum bag will squash it flat enough once the vacuum is pulled.
The candy bars and cob shapes are just for convenience.
This is a visual aid to curing done by a member Repuk a while back makes it simple to understand.

9BB98DBA-4711-4512-A73C-9FC640915E3C.jpeg

Tangwena

Veteran
Today I'm testing these Mulanje gold cobs made on the 5/23 so a couple of months aged now.

img_3018-web.jpg

This is what they looked like at harvest The plant at the bottom of the box got progressively more purple as it matured and the cob I'm testing today.
img_2773-web.jpg
img_2740-web.jpg

img_3054-web.jpg

Very strong pinosol that comes across strongly in the chew.
Almost instant high chewed, those that like coke and a spliff will love this one, super clear very up energetic high.
These seeds will def need a more in depth look haha.
This will be awesome for fishing or any outdoor activity.
These others will be tested as I can get to them but so far awesome euphoric and energetic.

img_2776-web.jpg

The large calyx purple pheno stinks like Nepelese hash also euphoric but has a calm finish to the trip when chewed compared to the others I have tried that never seem to end ha ha.
Its the top cob in this pic
img_3046-web.jpg

The others still to test.
img_3044-web.jpg
img_3052-web.jpg
img_3056-web.jpg

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I dont think decarbing is even close to the result you want in cobbing.
I have never believed in decarbing myself there is a lot of stuff taken as fact by the cannabis community that I find hard to understand.
All you need is pot that has the effects your after, cob curing just amplifies those effects and makes it smoother to smoke.

All the things @Taima-da mentioned above have some effect on what you feel when chewing cob.
I dont understand the science behind it and dont care to know. But I know heavy smoking tolerance has a lot to do with it from first hand experience and that of heavy smokers I know.

The most critical is good pot well cured.
Just having a go at making a cob or two and then having a go at chewing it is so far from a good cure it has fail all over it.
You need commitment and talent both in growing and curing before you get results.
Although you can still smoke a badly cured cob you cannot get results from chewing it instantly.

It is worth persevering though. The chewed effects are a new experience and very different to smoking.
If you post pics of your buds and your cobs during the process experienced member here can guide you.
If your truly interested in this new experience we can def help you.
Hi Tangwena, as you know I have recently stopped vaping (haven't smoked in years). I regret not cobbing my previous grow but will do a bit of my current one.

I have to disagree about decarbing though. I have had great results just eating decarbed cannabis. I just put it in an oven for 30 mins at 110C. I eat about a third to half a gram and depending on what strain I start with, I get great results. As someone who (used to) vape mainly sativa's, I find eating it in this way retains a similar high to vaping, which I can't say the same if I mix it with oils. There is good science around decarboxylation.

Anyway I have a plant nearly ready (Zam x Kali China) which I will make some cobs with and compare the results. It's been a couple of years since I've cobbed mainly because I liked the immediacy of vaping better.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena, as you know I have recently stopped vaping (haven't smoked in years). I regret not cobbing my previous grow but will do a bit of my current one.

I have to disagree about decarbing though. I have had great results just eating decarbed cannabis. I just put it in an oven for 30 mins at 110C. I eat about a third to half a gram and depending on what strain I start with, I get great results. As someone who (used to) vape mainly sativa's, I find eating it in this way retains a similar high to vaping, which I can't say the same if I mix it with oils. There is good science around decarboxylation.

Anyway I have a plant nearly ready (Zam x Kali China) which I will make some cobs with and compare the results. It's been a couple of years since I've cobbed mainly because I liked the immediacy of vaping better.
That is only my opinion brother everyone is entitled to their own thats for sure.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity

I've eaten decarbed weed many times and it's very good!, but my choice still would be to eat my cobs. The high, for me at least is improved; I think many of the cobbing brothers would agree.

@Tangwena, wow man, those cobs look good brother! And the description of the high is right up Mrs DM and myself's street.

Now that my MxMa/E has properly matured it has similar effects to what your describing and the best thing of all for Mrs DM, no munchies.
Tonight we go out with friends for a meal, so it'll be the Zamal x TTH, clear and functional, a bit trippy, but munchy inducing 😂

Tangwena

Veteran
Tonight we go out with friends for a meal, so it'll be the Zamal x TTH, clear and functional, a bit trippy, but munchy inducing 😂
Who's paying ha ha.
I have those seeds in my collection I must find time to give them a go.
Since I've been on the forums the generosity of members here and elsewhere has meant having the best seeds is the easy part its finding time for growing them thats the problem ha ha.
Universal love is alive and well.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I've eaten decarbed weed many times and it's very good!, but my choice still would be to eat my cobs. The high, for me at least is improved; I think many of the cobbing brothers would agree.
Yes, I will still cob and the effects are great. I was just pointing out that decarbed eaten cannabis is a good option if (like me) you didn't cob your last crop, but prefer edible options. I was surprised that eating decarbed bud alone seems to work better than if I mixed it in oils.