What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

iTarzan

So I was working in the lab late one night....

So my last 2 plants I harvested ,Fire Lion Harvest (I love saying that) on Monday were 2 days dry so it was time to do some cobbing.

This was Golden Tiger pheno 2. I took pics of untrimmed buds because when it is still wet the buds smash somewhat. It doesn't matter for cobbs but it does for pics. Then I took pics of trimmed bud pile. It filled a sandwich bag 3/4 full. Did the standard cobb shape and placed on the heating pad.

DSCN3648.jpeg
DSCN3649.jpeg
DSCN3650.jpeg
DSCN3651.jpeg
DSCN3652.jpeg
DSCN3653.jpeg
DSCN3654.jpeg

iTarzan

This is Golden Tiger pheno 3. It was the biggest plant. I used the most amounts of buds and the most amount of force to compress it. I know Tangwena later clarified they don't have to be tight but in the start of the thread I thought tight mattered. Especially when those men in the video were really going out of their way to make sure their tobacco cobb was super tight. I hade planned to make a deck of card size brick but decided to make a faux Temple Ball. I used 2.75 ounces and pressed it into a ball. It is super hard and wrapped tight. It is now on the heating pad. All the Golden Tiger plants had a nice, loud nose of juicy fruit gum, floral tea, pine, citrus and spice/incense.

DSCN3655.jpeg
DSCN3656.jpeg
DSCN3657.jpeg
DSCN3658.jpeg
DSCN3659.jpeg
DSCN3660.jpeg
DSCN3661.jpeg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I thought you knew me by now ha ha Its all in the lap of the Gods until its ready to chew ha ha.
I'm always trying new ways to get the old cures I saw in my youth so its not always a given ha ha.

Here's some of the current grow at 6 weeks flowering at least 6 still to go.
Santa Marta Gold x Demon Latcher.
South American x Mexican smells amazing and good resin early.

View attachment 18792056 View attachment 18792055 View attachment 18792057
Looking good brother. In another 6 weeks they'll be huge!
I envy you indoor guys 🙁, as much as I love growing outdoors id love to be able to grow all year too; I guess I'm just greedy, but I love to grow!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
This is Golden Tiger pheno 3. It was the biggest plant. I used the most amounts of buds and the most amount of force to compress it. I know Tangwena later clarified they don't have to be tight but in the start of the thread I thought tight mattered. Especially when those men in the video were really going out of their way to make sure their tobacco cobb was super tight. I hade planned to make a deck of card size brick but decided to make a faux Temple Ball. I used 2.75 ounces and pressed it into a ball. It is super hard and wrapped tight. It is now on the heating pad. All the Golden Tiger plants had a nice, loud nose of juicy fruit gum, floral tea, pine, citrus and spice/incense.

View attachment 18792128 View attachment 18792129 View attachment 18792130 View attachment 18792131 View attachment 18792132 View attachment 18792133 View attachment 18792134
Like a cricket ball!
Looking forward to seeing how it cures/bowls! Will it swing? Or reverse swing? 🤣

Tangwena

Veteran
I envy you indoor guys 🙁, as much as I love growing outdoors id love to be able to grow all year too; I guess I'm just greedy, but I love to grow!
Yes 3 month turnarounds from seed normally on 8 or 9 hours light a day they start flowering straight away no vedge time at all.
Because I dont smoke anymore i dont need pounds just ounces for cobs and even then I cant use them all up.
Next year Australia may legalize around 3 plants outside in the sun per person but I will still grow indoors its so much quicker and I'm an inpatient grower.
I have all the patience in the world for curing though ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran

View attachment 18792128 View attachment 18792129 View attachment 18792130 View attachment 18792131 View attachment 18792132 View attachment 18792133 View attachment 18792134
Love your plants and your passion brother always look forward to your pics, grows and cures.
You are mastering this cure its one of my favorites and in my opinion the best.

But there are others using the same principles but with differing results and some use less compaction to get a different finish on the cure.
I keep going back to this cure as it was always my favorite.
I have been trying and failing the last few grows to reproduce them. Maybe this cure I will get lucky.
Its good to have a passion isn't it?

Tangwena

Veteran
Nice plants Tangwena. Do you use LED or HPS?

What is the longest you ever let a cobb cure before you smoked some of it and when you finished one?
I use LED on 8/9 hours light a day from seed.
Curing 2 to 3 weeks is about right but aging goes on for ever.

For smoking the taste is best within 12 months aging.
But the high peaks at around 18 months. I have cobs from 2017 but they are not the best taste now.
The high is less dramatic and more medicinal to me at least.

I has 0.25g of a cob thats about 12 months aged now yesterday and it was fantastic, a real roller coaster of euphoria, energy and trippy effects it also had a fruity pepper taste which told me it was going to be good ha ha.
The more you get into this art and the more you chew the cobs the more you get lost in the wonderful dimension that exists alongside what people refer to as real life.
But we all know its not real really, its just one of many lives you can have and the others are all much better than the real one ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I never did but would have liked to try cricket. Are you any good at cricket hombre?
Sadly I'm not, although I do enjoy watching it.
It takes some balls to stand there when a 5 oz rock hard ball is travelling by your head at 90miles/hr. I used to enjoy going to the test match when I was living in the U.K..
I'm a very lucky man; Mrs DM enjoys football, cricket, rugby and motoring racing! We watched virtually every game of the world cup.

I won a few speed joint rolling competitions when I was young!😂

CDNINCA

I know what you mean @Hombre del mont , I also only grow outdoors and occasionally think that it would be nice to have the chance to try this more than once a year! I also make my own wine... same problem! Oh well. I love to grow as well!!

iTarzan

It is nice having a wife/gf that enjoys sports.

I used to be outdoors only and felt the same way. I bought a nice Lumanex 250w and expanded from there.

I left the cobbs on the heat mat at exactly 104F for 72 hours. There was quite a bit of paper bag stuck to the cobb and even more cobb stuck to the bag. There are still a few specks of bag stuck to the cobb which I will continue to remove. THE white spots are actually tan except that one round one on the ball. They don't look like mold under a magnifier but I will be watching it. They have a very loud dank and strong tea smell. I will let them dry overnight.

DSCN3663.jpeg
DSCN3664.jpeg
DSCN3665.jpeg

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
It is nice having a wife/gf that enjoys sports.

I used to be outdoors only and felt the same way. I bought a nice Lumanex 250w and expanded from there.

I left the cobbs on the heat mat at exactly 104F for 72 hours. There was quite a bit of paper bag stuck to the cobb and even more cobb stuck to the bag. There are still a few specks of bag stuck to the cobb which I will continue to remove. THE white spots are actually tan except that one round one on the ball. They don't look like mold under a magnifier but I will be watching it. They have a very loud dank and strong tea smell. I will let them dry overnight.

View attachment 18793093 View attachment 18793094 View attachment 18793095
They look done brother dry them well and then seal them up to age 72 hours is a bit long. These days I prefer less time sweating and more time curing slowly.
Thats cob looks a great colour dry it slowly but well.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I know what you mean @Hombre del mont , I also only grow outdoors and occasionally think that it would be nice to have the chance to try this more than once a year! I also make my own wine... same problem! Oh well. I love to grow as well!!
I daren't make my own wine! I've struggled with alcohol all my life and have to limit myself. Living in the world's largest wine producing country is hard enough as it is; if I started to make my own I'd drink myself to death.
Better I just stick to growing weed. :plant grow:

wuluz

I also only grow outdoors and occasionally think that it would be nice to have the chance to try this more than once a year! I also make my own wine...
@CDNINCA nice to read that you make wine yourself, where I live there is only sour wine hahaha. So everyone has their hobbies. I've been brewing my own beer for 28 years. 150 liters a year, it's not a lot but enough to make some fun parties with friends.
I hadn't even thought about growing cannabis indoors. I'm more of a collector and connoisseur. I need maybe 15 grams a year for food, tinctures, etc. Around 50 grams end up in the incense bowl. I give away a little, old grass from the jar is put into rainwater and so I fertilize my plants with it. Everything is a cycle.
I've been collecting cobs since 2018, but they are not processed into fertilizer :)

Latest posts

Latest posts