What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
@Tangwena New cobb started - Between the initial (24-48HR) HOT 104F sweat and the 1-2 week 77-86F mild sweat there was a day during transition where I accidentally allowed for temps to drop as low as 60F, quickly addressed when discovered- have you found that the lower temps will kill ferment and I need to drop it back into HOT 104F sweat for a certain period again? Its going steady at ~80F for the last day or so.
Some of my best cures have had no initial sweat at all but they take a lot longer to cure and the warmer the curing temps the better.
Those sweat times are for one type of result there are dozens of variations possible with drier or moister buds.
Less is more in most cases lower temps (25c to 30c) and drier buds give the best terps for smoking and chewing.
The higher temps give darker results not so terpy but can be very trippy if the grass was good to begin with.
As TD said above once its started the fermentation can only be stopped by drying all moisture, temps are not as critical.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
I am still have this smell in my nose of this great cob I did. So intense fruity with a ginger/wasabi in the background. After sweat they are now since Thursday in the Curing box at >25c. I cobbed the whole plant - no tiny bud left to vape :geek:
5BC6D768-F016-4940-9469-3AC27B374BD6.jpeg

9B8FE830-78AC-478C-A568-B39673B3894A.jpeg

The Scrog is still alive ;)

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Been awhile since I tried this. I had some minor mold issues one time, and I also did not care for the flavor changes in the finished product for smoking. I'm such a fresh flower lover and I'm always after flavors and aromas as much as the high. :)

That said, I've been having a craving for old fashioned Mexican hard pressed weed. So I thought, what the hell, might as well give cobbing another try. Plus, I would like to have something to chew and try that whole aspect out. ;)

Here's some fresh ChupaCobra outdoor buds. My own cross, CBG Purple Mexican and CBG Red Snake, both Oaxacan '79 crosses. Hot water bath which I will rewarm periodically.
PXL_20221023_194808619.jpg
PXL_20221023_194847505.MP.jpg
PXL_20221023_200643482.jpg
PXL_20221023_200659492.jpg
PXL_20221023_200704798.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
I am still have this smell in my nose of this great cob I did. So intense fruity with a ginger/wasabi in the background. After sweat they are now since Thursday in the Curing box at >25c. I cobbed the whole plant - no tiny bud left to vape :geek:
View attachment 18772639
View attachment 18772638

The Scrog is still alive ;)
Looking great man that should cure nicely its thats smell that gets you addicted isn't it?
Sometimes I just seal up the empty bags after removing the cob to preserve that aroma.
I even sent a sealed empty bag to Aussie buddy along with some cobs to illustrate the smell he should look for during curing ha ha.
Nothing like the nose to know whats happening is good ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Been awhile since I tried this. I had some minor mold issues one time, and I also did not care for the flavor changes in the finished product for smoking. I'm such a fresh flower lover and I'm always after flavors and aromas as much as the high. :)

That said, I've been having a craving for old fashioned Mexican hard pressed weed. So I thought, what the hell, might as well give cobbing another try. Plus, I would like to have something to chew and try that whole aspect out. ;)

Here's some fresh ChupaCobra outdoor buds. My own cross, CBG Purple Mexican and CBG Red Snake, both Oaxacan '79 crosses. Hot water bath which I will rewarm periodically. View attachment 18772777 View attachment 18772778 View attachment 18772779 View attachment 18772780 View attachment 18772781
That looks a bit moist my friend try some drier buds as well that is probably what went wrong last time.
If you get it right the smell is what will get you hooked every time.
If you want terpy cobs the buds need to be drier.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Thanks man, I will unwrap these tomorrow and see if they sweat or not. I have lots more of this so will make another packet with drier material too.

Has anyone ever added sugar or liqueur to this stuff to make something similar to chewing tobacco? I had some sweet peach flavored tobacco many years ago that was delicious.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks man, I will unwrap these tomorrow and see if they sweat or not. I have lots more of this so will make another packet with drier material too.

Has anyone ever added sugar or liqueur to this stuff to make something similar to chewing tobacco? I had some sweet peach flavored tobacco many years ago that was delicious.
Good idea try varying batches with progressively drier buds in you will def hit the jackpot with one.
The cross you are using sounds amazing and def a good one to cob.

Some of the older growers in the tobacco growing regions of Malawi and Zimbabwe used Gin and Rum to add to their cobs but I dont know at what stage it was added.

If you get the cure right the cobs will taste and smell sweet fermented and fruity without adding anything so experiment with small batches to find the right formula.

I have cobs of Mulanje that smell and taste of floral honey and fermented fruit.
Not sweet like honey but the taste and smell it gets me every time. I cant open the bag without chewing some its that alluring.

Lotto

Some of my best cures have had no initial sweat at all but they take a lot longer to cure and the warmer the curing temps the better.
Those sweat times are for one type of result there are dozens of variations possible with drier or moister buds.
Less is more in most cases lower temps (25c to 30c) and drier buds give the best terps for smoking and chewing.
The higher temps give darker results not so terpy but can be very trippy if the grass was good to begin with.
As TD said above once its started the fermentation can only be stopped by drying all moisture, temps are not as critical.
Tang, ' no initial sweat' clears up another question. Compressed about an oz. of a Bangi Haze and Zam. x Kali China blend. Small buds reserved for edibles were used. No evident sweat after a couple sessions in the dehydrater. Opened once and smelled good and then resealed. Now sitting in a dark warm spot.

Compressed another oz. of Panama, outdoor grown, small buds with a few seeds. This was a bit moist but could have gone into curing jars. In the dehydrater a couple times and opened today. Appears slightly moist with a great smell. Sealed back up and once more in the dryer. Temps have been 95-105 F.

So, to sum up what I think I've learned. If the weed is a bit dry don't expect an initial sweat, but that doesn't mean the ferment hasn't started. Be patient, let the weed dictate what to do next. In my case, I think keeping it sealed in a warm place is the best route.

I'll post pictures soon enough. Just took down a Mountain Gold ( Hawaiian x Mexican). Batch #3 will soon go into the dryer, this time with more moisture.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tang, ' no initial sweat' clears up another question. Compressed about an oz. of a Bangi Haze and Zam. x Kali China blend. Small buds reserved for edibles were used. No evident sweat after a couple sessions in the dehydrater. Opened once and smelled good and then resealed. Now sitting in a dark warm spot.

Compressed another oz. of Panama, outdoor grown, small buds with a few seeds. This was a bit moist but could have gone into curing jars. In the dehydrater a couple times and opened today. Appears slightly moist with a great smell. Sealed back up and once more in the dryer. Temps have been 95-105 F.

So, to sum up what I think I've learned. If the weed is a bit dry don't expect an initial sweat, but that doesn't mean the ferment hasn't started. Be patient, let the weed dictate what to do next. In my case, I think keeping it sealed in a warm place is the best route.

I'll post pictures soon enough. Just took down a Mountain Gold ( Hawaiian x Mexican). Batch #3 will soon go into the dryer, this time with more moisture.
Thats it in a nutshell brother keep the insights coming.
Some people just get it naturally in my opinion.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Finally bit the bullet in order to bite the cob. Outdoor Ace C5 x KC.

C3E28016-3AD7-404C-B85E-D9671EACC7F2.jpeg
F0B87EEF-F666-4C24-A839-2CD78B0CB562.jpeg

I harvested last Friday morning. Hung the full plant for 3 1/2 days. Began the cob process around 80% RH.
0095DE2F-EDA4-4884-B232-9985DFFECDBC.jpeg
4C47F7F0-7741-4B99-B41D-392DDE6187CB.jpeg

I used lower slightly leafier flower, but still full of resin. Aromas are strong lemon/lime with a leather, spice, musky background.

595379CB-3665-4EA3-B1B4-CC871203F05F.jpeg
FC3E039E-1470-4422-9C58-478D20938FE7.jpeg

Rolled using a sushi mat. Around 45g. Then into the cob.

F9DD102E-2785-4D69-8ED4-3D43523B5A51.jpeg
A4A0E1DF-8CED-411E-8E5C-CDBEF54757D2.jpeg
62D71321-3816-4913-979E-08D14A0E3376.jpeg
FE6C1348-B606-44C5-BCA7-DA50869D77D7.jpeg

Added the above 2.2g canary. Vacuum sealed and sous vide. 24 hours bump from 39C to 40C.

Last edited:

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
DE581793-30D3-4D94-BFE2-222BCAF6F6C2.jpeg
03C588EA-80AA-41A6-8F82-02C5F21E1457.jpeg

6255D905-4A0F-4BBC-B815-1E8DB59F7FE5.jpeg

Everything sweated for 24hrs. the cob came out of the bag with slight moisture in the bag and outside of the cob. I briefly dried it. Aroma was faint but sweet. Likely from the corn husk. The original aromas aren’t present at the moment. I’m sure they are still there.

E6C95243-3D64-4EDB-9943-332AEB7325D0.jpeg
3DA6738E-44E2-4E53-A9FE-2F39D01EA994.jpeg
429BB8A6-B07C-443C-A432-615C1418C012.jpeg
C3EBBF3E-9A33-46E2-BEBA-D6A81B8744E6.jpeg
9494CB42-19B1-482A-A257-7B152981FEF3.jpeg

I resealed and it went back in the bath at 30C. I’ll let it cool to 26C and then raise it a degree a day back to 30C. One week ferment planned.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
View attachment 18773765 View attachment 18773766

View attachment 18773767

Everything sweated for 24hrs. the cob came out of the bag with slight moisture in the bag and outside of the cob. I briefly dried it. Aroma was faint but sweet. Likely from the corn husk. The original aromas aren’t present at the moment. I’m sure they are still there.

View attachment 18773773 View attachment 18773777 View attachment 18773774 View attachment 18773775 View attachment 18773776

I resealed and it went back in the bath at 30C. I’ll let it cool to 26C and then raise it a degree a day back to 30C. One week ferment planned.
Done like a pro brother.
Cant wait to see the next opening should be killer. You dont normally get much aroma after the sweat but after the one week it should explode ha ha.

Lotto

Ur Humbl
Wow, what a change in 24 hrs or so. Looks like a winner. Are you up for a challenge match? Just kidding, I couldn't compete.
Pictures of an indoor C5H x KC harvested 2 weeks ago and jarred up. It had the Kali smell early in flower and then just lost it. I can't see it improving much in a jar, so nothing to loose let's try a cob. One oz. firmly packed and left in the baking paper. Vacuumed and into the dryer for a day or so. After breaking up the buds there was still moisture but not much. The plan is to put it in the jar with the other just started cobs and forget about it for a while. I will not open it. If any smell develops over time I will become a quick believer in this method. Sampled a small bowl early today. Definitely needs to mellow some. Not a crack of dawn smoke, at least for me.

Attachments

• 20221026_082819.jpg
    20221026_082819.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20221026_091245.jpg
    20221026_091245.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20221026_092205.jpg
    20221026_092205.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Done like a pro brother.
Cant wait to see the next opening should be killer. You dont normally get much aroma after the sweat but after the one week it should explode ha ha.
Thanks, Tang! I know you and. Share a lot of the same tastes when it comes to Ace gear and old time sativas. I expected the aroma would need a cure to coax back out. I’ll keep y’all posted to progress.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Ur Humbl
Wow, what a change in 24 hrs or so. Looks like a winner. Are you up for a challenge match? Just kidding, I couldn't compete.
Pictures of an indoor C5H x KC harvested 2 weeks ago and jarred up. It had the Kali smell early in flower and then just lost it. I can't see it improving much in a jar, so nothing to loose let's try a cob. One oz. firmly packed and left in the baking paper. Vacuumed and into the dryer for a day or so. After breaking up the buds there was still moisture but not much. The plan is to put it in the jar with the other just started cobs and forget about it for a while. I will not open it. If any smell develops over time I will become a quick believer in this method. Sampled a small bowl early today. Definitely needs to mellow some. Not a crack of dawn smoke, at least for me.
Yes, the color difference is very pronounced. She was plenty moist going into the cob. Love that you’ll be running an indoor C5 x KC side by side. This should be a good comparison Of indoor vs outdoor and moist vs jar humidity. Looking forward to your updates.

Latest posts

Latest posts