What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Taima-da

I think that is too dry if you let it get to that stage.
Also, I would not dream of cobbing something like SD. This works better with real sativa's such as Ethiopian, Aces haze, Honduras, Thai or Laos, those type of very long flowering loose sativa's. I did a Kali mist and ginspoon that turned out ok.
The cob my friend called dmt in effect was soar by Bodhi, so not a full sat. By any stretch.
Still clearly great

I guess if you'd "never dream of it", you'll never know.

You'll have plenty SD to work with so trying some won't hurt

Last edited:

TPFTFW

Veteran
I think that is too dry if you let it get to that stage.
Also, I would not dream of cobbing something like SD. This works better with real sativa's such as Ethiopian, Aces haze, Honduras, Thai or Laos, those type of very long flowering loose sativa's. I did a Kali mist and ginspoon that turned out ok.
Still gotta at least try
seems like a fun experiment.
figure I’ll dedicate a QP to it

Taima-da

Still gotta at least try
That's a couple of good cobs, just make sure you give them a good cure before you reach any firm conclusions.
The various hybrids I've done have still taken a good while to drop in. That's another thing about cob. Instead of becoming used to the effect, because it matures and changes as it ages I find it improves each time I go to a particular batch until it reaches its peak.

Tangwena

Veteran
👆 Dude he wasn't insinuating anything. Cleary a throw away line from a guy who's high as a kite in a good way.

You seem to have insecurity around this process (maybe cos it's a new thing for you?) and "at any cost" means jumping that fence. 🙄

Think it's more a "Hey, why not, if you keep coming back to the thread you're clearly curious, so what's holding you back man? You only live once." kind of thing.

But if you do it and don't like it, you shouldnt blame any one. As you can see by this thread, heaps of people are happy to put all their crop to the process, myself included.

You have nothing to lose, even if you screw it up the result will work fine.
If you're over thinking it, you're over thinking it.

As an aside, I'd been off smoking for a bit more than a week and while doing some morning cleaning thought- let's chew some.
I mean like, a very small amount, pea size piece. (Actually, two smaller pieces amounting to a pea size lump, one green haze X Malawi aged nearly a year and a smaller piece of fresher zam)
The tingly vibrations started in the mouth and moved out from there, into the chest and all across the skin, starting surprisingly shortly after ingestion.
The effects really pleasurable but the thing is, I'm not sure they stopped, was still going last night and I got up this morning- everything vibrating, the whole world. It may be related to my current bout of insomnia (which the cob did help with somewhat) or just the cob, but talk about legs!!

So after a hour or two of wakefulness I thought let's eat some more, and as soon as the mouth started tingling again, so did the rest of me.
I have been going from active around the house to just buzzing out feeling great and back again for hours now. Compared to smoking for a short high, this is so clean and refreshing.

That's the kind of effect I like. Sparkling✨
Thanks brother "what he said and more man dont think just do"

Tangwena

Veteran
Still gotta at least try
Dude its really easy plus you will get a few additional personalities to inhabit when you find the strain that works for you.
Long term use gives you serious problems with realities that change with the cob its like another alternate world and when you have 6 or more it can get keeping track of which one was first hard.
Damn this cob is good man pine/lime and fermented fruit stink and loud same taste.
My whole face went numb as it came on ha ha.
Now its just plain beautiful ha ha.

IMG_1668 (2).JPG
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1668 (3).JPG
IMG_1668 (4).JPG

Tangwena

Veteran
That's a couple of good cobs, just make sure you give them a good cure before you reach any firm conclusions.
The various hybrids I've done have still taken a good while to drop in. That's another thing about cob. Instead of becoming used to the effect, because it matures and changes as it ages I find it improves each time I go to a particular batch until it reaches its peak.
Bless you brother your getting hooked aren't you?
Its a hard habit to kick once your where you are my friend.
Another brotherhood of the cob member here for sure.
That was beautifully written you clearly know.

Taima-da

A had a friend who came back from Malawi 1990 or so and told me that they do something strange to their ganja there that she thought I would love that changes the look and effect. She even had some woven into a grass souvenir bag she bought and just walked it through customs, though sadly I never tried at the time.
It clearly made a big impression on her.

Another mate on a tour of Africa around the same time said the stuff there was just too full on to smoke, turned reality on its head. And this guy had had plenty of experience with great ganj.

Thanks Tangwena, I think I finally get an inkling of what they meant.

Must be working good cos I can't shut up!
😜

pjlive

👆 Dude he wasn't insinuating anything. Cleary a throw away line from a guy who's high as a kite in a good way.

You seem to have insecurity around this process (maybe cos it's a new thing for you?) and "at any cost" means jumping that fence. 🙄

Think it's more a "Hey, why not, if you keep coming back to the thread you're clearly curious, so what's holding you back man? You only live once." kind of thing.

But if you do it and don't like it, you shouldnt blame any one. As you can see by this thread, heaps of people are happy to put all their crop to the process, myself included.

You have nothing to lose, even if you screw it up the result will work fine.
If you're over thinking it, you're over thinking it.

As an aside, I'd been off smoking for a bit more than a week and while doing some morning cleaning thought- let's chew some.
I mean like, a very small amount, pea size piece. (Actually, two smaller pieces amounting to a pea size lump, one green haze X Malawi aged nearly a year and a smaller piece of fresher zam)
The tingly vibrations started in the mouth and moved out from there, into the chest and all across the skin, starting surprisingly shortly after ingestion.
The effects really pleasurable but the thing is, I'm not sure they stopped, was still going last night and I got up this morning- everything vibrating, the whole world. It may be related to my current bout of insomnia (which the cob did help with somewhat) or just the cob, but talk about legs!!

So after a hour or two of wakefulness I thought let's eat some more, and as soon as the mouth started tingling again, so did the rest of me.
I have been going from active around the house to just buzzing out feeling great and back again for hours now. Compared to smoking for a short high, this is so clean and refreshing.

That's the kind of effect I like. Sparkling✨
"Seem" would be the operative word throughout all that for sure, but thanks very much for your detailed explanation. It must be my newness.

I've had similar experiences to your description with different types of hashish. A few types lasted for days. I'd chew literately a sliver's worth and be actually high for a couple of days in a very gradual decent after peaking, I don't know, some 4-6 hours after ingesting it. It's amazing how long an oral delivery can last!

Yes, thanks very much for all the detailed information. I'm going to just keep reading about it and watching for now. If I do try it I'll want to wait until I'm growing out a strain that would be best suited for the process. Very fine pictorial examples to be found here.

Thanks again. This looks like a really great future project. (y)

Taima-da

"Seem" would be the operative word throughout all that for sure, but thanks very much for your detailed explanation. It must be my newness.

I've had similar experiences to your description with different types of hashish. A few types lasted for days. I'd chew literately a sliver's worth and be actually high for a couple of days in a very gradual decent after peaking, I don't know, some 4-6 hours after ingesting it. It's amazing how long an oral delivery can last!

Yes, thanks very much for all the detailed information. I'm going to just keep reading about it and watching for now. If I do try it I'll want to wait until I'm growing out a strain that would be best suited for the process. Very fine pictorial examples to be found here.

Thanks again. This looks like a really great future project. (y)
I'm sure you won't regret.
I hear you about eating the slivers. I'm fairly sure quite a few traditional hash making techniques involve some degree of decarb and, when eaten, hit uniquely.

pjlive

I'm sure you won't regret.
I hear you about eating the slivers. I'm fairly sure quite a few traditional hash making techniques involve some degree of decarb and, when eaten, hit uniquely.
Oh, it's very true indeed, sir. I've been sifting and pressing my own hashish now for almost 40 years. About 36 years! Just writing that out makes my head spin. A very long time ago there were some strains going around (I don't know what they were, Skunks is what I suspect) that would produce very potent and fast hitting stones.

Man, OK, brothers. I'm very interested now and will continue on in silence until I get to the process and maybe have some questions.

Enhanced good Karma to you and your friends for now ...

Tangwena

Veteran
A had a friend who came back from Malawi 1990 or so and told me that they do something strange to their ganja there that she thought I would love that changes the look and effect. She even had some woven into a grass souvenir bag she bought and just walked it through customs, though sadly I never tried at the time.
It clearly made a big impression on her.

Another mate on a tour of Africa around the same time said the stuff there was just too full on to smoke, turned reality on its head. And this guy had had plenty of experience with great ganj.

Thanks Tangwena, I think I finally get an inkling of what they meant.

Must be working good cos I can't shut up!
😜
Thats very cool my friend its true some (not all) Malawi cobbed grass was so hard hitting a lot of people found it hard to handle.
But most always came back for more and gradually got used to it and wanted nothing else.
Yesterday I had my Tokalosh riding on my shoulder man it was a crazy day. I just love loosing it like that the world seems to be all new and special again ha ha.
I got heaps done like a demon I was driven to tidy up my garage to loud music everything was just so important to me ha ha.
Its so great to feel alive and vital not old and jaded like I am ha ha. I'm going to hit it again today for sure.

Tangwena

Veteran
Will do. No worries, brother. I'm very, very, rarely full-tilt abrasive. I misunderstood your vernacular for sure, but there was never anything sour about my response -- I'm a very easy going dude these days.
I must apologize my friend it was not intended as a rebuke.
I was very very high and using a Zulu induna as a vehicle for my trip they see things in black and white only.
I am glad you find something interesting to read in this thread and understand your reluctance to change old habits.
This is only for the adventurous and open minded it does not suite everyone, it also takes time and practice to get it right.
Its not a "I'll give it a go and see" type of cure its a lifestyle change.

ProfessorLefty

View attachment 18661796

Here's an 18gm Zamaldelicia Cob that was made in November of last year. The plant was dried for 5days before the initial sweat at 43c for 14hrs followed by a 2 week ferment at 35c. The smell on opening today is chocolate and light fruit. The more you smell it, the more the smell draws you in; It's a very seductive smell. I'd like to give someone who doesn't do weed and see what they thought of the smell; I'm pretty sure it would have the same seductive effect, I don't know that many people who don't smoke though.🤣
Mrs DM and myself partook of a little this morning before going to the beach. This is a very dreamy, spacey cob. No rushes of energy. It's easy to get distorted vision type hallucinations if you let yourself, eg mountains starting to sway. Not as strong as some of the cobs but it seems to go on and on. Mrs DM feels like she's still getting higher after 7hrs!. Perfect cob for spacing out on the beach. It's not as Euphoric as some, so I'm resealing it and putting away for some more aging.

mine was 100% dry by day 5, I thought you needed some moisture

Taima-da

First chew of the Golden Tiger today...
Wish I had my NyamiNyami -(looks around nervously)...

I've done ones I though might be a bit too dry that worked out great after an extra long cure. Zam done like this end up as a whitish cob instead of darkening, but had all the good qualities of great cob.

Amount of time drying is really very variable depending on ambient humidity, airflow, size and density of floral clusters, vigour of the plant at time of harvest, picking time etc etc

The Pan/haze and KA5H I just cobbed were really still a bit too moist at five or six days but I'll pull them out and start drying them in the next few days. The colour really changes overnight with higher moisture content.

Tangwena

Veteran
First chew of the Golden Tiger today...
Wish I had my NyamiNyami -(looks around nervously)...

I've done ones I though might be a bit too dry that worked out great after an extra long cure. Zam done like this end up as a whitish cob instead of darkening, but had all the good qualities of great cob.

Amount of time drying is really very variable depending on ambient humidity, airflow, size and density of floral clusters, vigour of the plant at time of harvest, picking time etc etc

The Pan/haze and KA5H I just cobbed were really still a bit too moist at five or six days but I'll pull them out and start drying them in the next few days. The colour really changes overnight with higher moisture content.
Once you get a handle on this as you have you will find your own unique preferred method that will become your own style.
As they say there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Thats why certain villages or tribal areas became famous for their cobs, there were some unique cures in some rural areas that made them famous.
Some of the drier cures are truly spectacular.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@ProfessorLefty , When I said dried for 5 day's, I'm referring to initially hanging the plant after harvest. After 5 day's hanging in my environment there is still a lot of moisture in the colas and they could/would go several more days before they would be classed as ready to put into jars for curing.
Interestingly I did do a cob last year with a little bit of New Caledonia; A friend gave me some buds that they had just that minute trimmed up and removed the stalks and said "cob this!", because I couldn't hang it I left it out on some paper for a few hours but then thought, "I'll just do it wet" and I did. It turned out almost black and took a while to get a good smell. I gave it them back recently and they've yet to try it. The smell when I opened it was of dark chocolate. I would imagine that it will be very spacey.
I have my own New Caledonia cobs but they are very different, much lighter in colour and quite speedy.

I'm having a dilemma right now! @Taima-da, your description of the Golden tiger has got me wanting to have some GT today, but then thinking about the speedy NC has got me fancy that also; Decisions decisions, What to chew?
Today I going to try a mix! why not? 50/50 Golden tiger and New Caledonia.

Have a great day all!. I'm sure I will

Last edited:

Taima-da

@ProfessorLefty , When I said dried for 5 day's, I'm referring to initially hanging the plant after harvest. After 5 day's hanging in my environment there is still a lot of moisture in the colas and they could/would go several more days before they would be classed as ready to put into jars for curing.
Interestingly I did do a cob last year with a little bit of New Caledonia; A friend gave me some buds that they had just that minute trimmed up and removed the stalks and said "cob this!", because I couldn't hang it I left it out on some paper for a few hours but then thought, "I'll just do it wet" and I did. It turned out almost black and took a while to get a good smell. I gave it them back recently and they've yet to try it. The smell when I opened it was of dark chocolate. I would imagine that it will be very spacey.
I have my own New Caledonia cobs but they are very different, much lighter in colour and quite speedy.

I'm having a dilemma right now! @Taima-da, your description of the Golden tiger has got me wanting to have some GT today, but then thinking about the speedy NC has got me fancy that also; Decisions decisions, What to chew?
Today I going to try a mix! why not? 50/50 Golden tiger and New Caledonia.

Have a great day all!. I'm sure I will
Decisions decisions, but what a set of options! 😋
Can't go wrong with a 50/50 mix, sure to cover all the bases.
NC always sounds so good to me but not one I've got my hands on yet.

Must say, i can't find much on the Zulu induna. Intriguing.

Best of days to you fellow cobbers!

Latest posts

Latest posts