What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ProfessorLefty

My housemate gave my freshly fermented cob a sniff test, and described it as:

Very buttery ... on the cob leaf

And a nose of balsamic vinegar ... from the cob itself

Does that tie in to your *really* sour ?
That’s apt, I’d say

Wierd thing is, it’s *very* terpy when you chew it, like fresh herb (rosemary, black pepper, lemon), but it doesn’t smell like that at all—it’s like the fermentation locked in the fresh herb terpenes

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Geez, wow—that was a thing

What am I going to do with all this non-fermented weed I got?
That's a pleasant dilemma to have though. The first year I made cobs I didn't make sufficient to last until next years harvest. Perhaps make hash?
This year I made enough to last until the harvest at the end of the year. I kept some of my harvest as "normal" jar cured weed; Our son, when he visits, won't eat cob! he's seen what happens to has mother and I!. His sister eats cob when she visits and loves it though. She likes to ridicule him as the "light weight little brother"; (they're in their 40's ffs!).🤣

Taima-da

That’s apt, I’d say

Wierd thing is, it’s *very* terpy when you chew it, like fresh herb (rosemary, black pepper, lemon), but it doesn’t smell like that at all—it’s like the fermentation locked in the fresh herb terpenes
Yep. My friend says he would never want to lose the terps to the cobbing process.
I keep telling him that they are locked into the material even more, so you don't lose them at all, even as a smoke it's obvious(to me) the improved density of flavour, in spite of being smoother.

Tangwena

Veteran
That’s apt, I’d say

When you get more experienced you will be able to have taste and smell locked in.
The smell changes but to a better more dense and sexy smell.
The art is in keeping both in the cob, though as they age they mature and the aroma changes but only gets better in my opinion.
The best cures have both smell and taste. I have Mulanje cobs that smell like sweet floral wild honey and taste deeper and have even more tastes inside.
The high is instant and starts as you chew it has that rushing high but comes with a feeling of being king of the world like a Zulu fearless and all powerful untouchable its priceless.

I also have a Malawi x Mulanje cob thats drives me crazy with both taste and aroma sweet funky pine with the wild honey smell.
You can both smell it in the unwrapped cob and taste almost identical taste in the chewing. The high is a rocket ride to the stars and lasts all day from one small piece chewed.

Tangwena

Veteran
That's a pleasant dilemma to have though. The first year I made cobs I didn't make sufficient to last until next years harvest. Perhaps make hash?
This year I made enough to last until the harvest at the end of the year. I kept some of my harvest as "normal" jar cured weed; Our son, when he visits, won't eat cob! he's seen what happens to has mother and I!. His sister eats cob when she visits and loves it though. She likes to ridicule him as the "light weight little brother"; (they're in their 40's ffs!).🤣
A true brotherhood of the cob member its the loosing it that enables you to grow.

ProfessorLefty

Here’s the end that broke off during drying:

3A4D85B8-2768-4EB0-9748-F3A03AD6F2C6.jpeg

Dried to 15g, from 45g when cobbed.

Both an herbal and a pickle smell, but it’s starting to have a roasted coffee odor too.

No visible trichomes; thin scrim of crystalizing salts on some edges—could be lactic acid maybe?

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
S6000269.JPG

Here's an 18gm Zamaldelicia Cob that was made in November of last year. The plant was dried for 5days before the initial sweat at 43c for 14hrs followed by a 2 week ferment at 35c. The smell on opening today is chocolate and light fruit. The more you smell it, the more the smell draws you in; It's a very seductive smell. I'd like to give someone who doesn't do weed and see what they thought of the smell; I'm pretty sure it would have the same seductive effect, I don't know that many people who don't smoke though.🤣
Mrs DM and myself partook of a little this morning before going to the beach. This is a very dreamy, spacey cob. No rushes of energy. It's easy to get distorted vision type hallucinations if you let yourself, eg mountains starting to sway. Not as strong as some of the cobs but it seems to go on and on. Mrs DM feels like she's still getting higher after 7hrs!. Perfect cob for spacing out on the beach. It's not as Euphoric as some, so I'm resealing it and putting away for some more aging.

Tangwena

Veteran
View attachment 18661796

Here's an 18gm Zamaldelicia Cob that was made in November of last year. The plant was dried for 5days before the initial sweat at 43c for 14hrs followed by a 2 week ferment at 35c. The smell on opening today is chocolate and light fruit. The more you smell it, the more the smell draws you in; It's a very seductive smell. I'd like to give someone who doesn't do weed and see what they thought of the smell; I'm pretty sure it would have the same seductive effect, I don't know that many people who don't smoke though.🤣
Mrs DM and myself partook of a little this morning before going to the beach. This is a very dreamy, spacey cob. No rushes of energy. It's easy to get distorted vision type hallucinations if you let yourself, eg mountains starting to sway. Not as strong as some of the cobs but it seems to go on and on. Mrs DM feels like she's still getting higher after 7hrs!. Perfect cob for spacing out on the beach. It's not as Euphoric as some, so I'm resealing it and putting away for some more aging.
Looks exactly like a Zamaldelica cob I made a few years ago lovely finish brother.
I was flying back from the East Coast with my wife and had about half a gram left from the trip so rather than ditch it I chewed it on the plane. Lucky I did as they had dogs at the airport on arrival.
The whole 3 hr flight every time I tried to talk to my wife I started laughing uncontrollably I couldn't get a word out without laughing my ass off ha ha.
I hadn't had laughing fits like that since I had Malawi laughing grass ages ago it was crazy good.
Nice job on the cure man but you knew that already haha.

Taima-da

You don't know me or my tastes. And I'm not sure what you mean by "...at any cost." But I'm definitely still going to look and figure out if I want to try it someday. Thanks.
👆 Dude he wasn't insinuating anything. Cleary a throw away line from a guy who's high as a kite in a good way.

You seem to have insecurity around this process (maybe cos it's a new thing for you?) and "at any cost" means jumping that fence. 🙄

Think it's more a "Hey, why not, if you keep coming back to the thread you're clearly curious, so what's holding you back man? You only live once." kind of thing.

But if you do it and don't like it, you shouldnt blame any one. As you can see by this thread, heaps of people are happy to put all their crop to the process, myself included.

You have nothing to lose, even if you screw it up the result will work fine.
If you're over thinking it, you're over thinking it.

As an aside, I'd been off smoking for a bit more than a week and while doing some morning cleaning thought- let's chew some.
I mean like, a very small amount, pea size piece. (Actually, two smaller pieces amounting to a pea size lump, one green haze X Malawi aged nearly a year and a smaller piece of fresher zam)
The tingly vibrations started in the mouth and moved out from there, into the chest and all across the skin, starting surprisingly shortly after ingestion.
The effects really pleasurable but the thing is, I'm not sure they stopped, was still going last night and I got up this morning- everything vibrating, the whole world. It may be related to my current bout of insomnia (which the cob did help with somewhat) or just the cob, but talk about legs!!

So after a hour or two of wakefulness I thought let's eat some more, and as soon as the mouth started tingling again, so did the rest of me.
I have been going from active around the house to just buzzing out feeling great and back again for hours now. Compared to smoking for a short high, this is so clean and refreshing.

That's the kind of effect I like. Sparkling✨

Last edited:

Taima-da

I for one am very grateful for this technique.
We all know air light and atmospheric moisture long term is bad for the product but this one simple process reduces loss of quality to these factors. I routinely leave a chunk of cob out for weeks or even months and on coming back to it find it's still pretty freaking good.
Try that with a bud.

I has been a positive life improvement. No question.

Taima-da

I can not wait to cob some SourD
57 days
Has any one cobbed SourD yet here?
curious what it’ll do terp wise
Gonna be sweet
Letting it go 75-77 days
It’s pretty dense I didn’t expect it to be hope that’s ok with a con still
View attachment 18710056
Holy sh!t.
Just don't start with material that is too wet. Big dense flowers like this hold a lot of h20 and it becomes harder to slow the process.

Taima-da

Nah, don't worry to much that you're pressing the air out too hard, you won't hurt the effect.

First few times I tried it seems I always started a little too wet and ended up with a glistening black mass after a good long cure. One self described psychonaut friend described the effect after maybe an hour and a good little walk as dmt. He couldn't believe it.
If the flavour/smell goes south it can be rectified within reason by drying the cob out, like an airing, and sealing again once dry. Don't worry about over drying once cobbed, usually there is enough moisture in the core to keep it good.

Now I either start drier or dry the cob a little better earlier if it's been started a bit too moist.

Every bunch of flowers seems to have it's own pace but for me it can be seen in the stems, even if the material seems quite dry, as long as the stems hold a little of their own native moisture the process should start up ok, just a bit slower, which is great as it's easier to hit the mark your looking for.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Iirc it’s wait until it smokes in a joint but doesn’t stay lit right?
and do I just press it in a sushi mart as hard as I can or can you go too dense on the log
I think that is too dry if you let it get to that stage.
Also, I would not dream of cobbing something like SD. This works better with real sativa's such as Ethiopian, Aces haze, Honduras, Thai or Laos, those type of very long flowering loose sativa's. I did a Kali mist and ginspoon that turned out ok.