What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

shizoman

I will definitely try it earlier. It's nice to wait when you have other options.

Here we are after 5 days of fermentation.

picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Looking good so far how have the smells if any developed?
I am not familiar with Northern Lights but if fermentation has been occurring during the 5 days sealed up it should have taken on a distinct sweet smell on top of its original smell.
If you have to use some dry the piece you cut off and reseal the remainder for a further 10 days to allow further fermentation to occur.
As I said looking good so far but still a way to go before it is all amalgamated properly.

shizoman

Yes, it got some interesting smell. The one which was the most moist started to change smell to not so nice. So dried them in dehydrator yesterday and packed for future development.

Tangwena

Veteran
Yes, it got some interesting smell. The one which was the most moist started to change smell to not so nice. So dried them in dehydrator yesterday and packed for future development.
You did well looks like your on your way to a good cure nice job on drying the extra moisture.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
the aged stuff was pure magic.

I agree that aged cobs are magic, some I have are three years
in storage, and brought to room temps for smoking is
extraordinary.

I have small temple balls of the same cultivars that I cobbed,
and the hashish is sublime, no question, but the cobs of the
same cultivar have more effect of buds vs the knockdown of the hashish.

Great thread!.

shizoman

All my future buds will be fermented. The ability to consume it orally alone is good enough reason for me.
I doubt anyone consuming non fermented tea or tobacco. Now I think I am sold with cannabis as well.

Tangwena

Veteran
That looks spectacular and for a first attempt its outstanding my friend.
By the time your Ace sativas are ready you will be ready for a good cure.
The colors in your cure are exactly what you are looking for with the sativas try to keep the fruity, flowery aromas along with the colors and you will Ace it brother.
Once you have that look dry it to a smokeable moisture level and seal it up to age 3 months minimum, the longer the better 12 months is the prime age but anything after 3 is good chewing.
I can see another cobber in the making once you chew aged sativas cured this way nothing will ever interest you again except cobs, sativas and chewing to get tripped out my friend.
Hats off to you brother outstanding work.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
this was from my father-in-laws estate, at a sushi party at my home, the 'chef' forgot his filet knife and roled his eyes when I presented him with this... he was impressed with, as you said, its sharpness and flexibility.. like a scalpel.

sorry Tangwena..

I’ve read bits and pieces of this thread, but with a nice harvest pending, I’m really diggin in and reading in entirety. Give me a week or so and I’ll be caught up. I saw the ‘knife posts’ and had to add my beauty I bought a dozen years ago from a toker in New Zealand. I was on my honeymoon and we were driving to a house where we were renting a room. I saw a wooden sign on the side of the road stating ‘hand made knives’. Dropped the Mrs. off and headed back to the house with sign. Walked to the back where the smithy had his wares. Walked into he and a couple other locals were in the process of smoking some NZ bush weed. Of course I had already indulged in a pipe of bubble hash where I tucked a larger of wad in cellophane between cheek and gum when I came into country.

After the shock of my arrival (guess he didn’t get a lot of traffic), we got on quite well. He showed off his hand made knives. Enjoyed the company briefly (couldn’t leave the Mrs. too long on the honeymoon) and I headed back to the room. Went the next day and bought this beauty.

picture.php

I can’t wait to use it slicing my first cobs. What I intend to learn with.

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze...I’ve got two phenos. One more diesel leaning.

picture.php

The hazy beauty I’ll likely try to clone and keep around

picture.php

Ace new Killer Malawi S1

picture.php

Ace Purple Haze x Malawi

picture.php

I’ve got others, but I’ll start with those gems...get back to my catching up and see you all soon in real time.

Tangwena

Veteran
I’ve read bits and pieces of this thread, but with a nice harvest pending, I’m really diggin in and reading in entirety. Give me a week or so and I’ll be caught up. I saw the ‘knife posts’ and had to add my beauty I bought a dozen years ago from a toker in New Zealand. I was on my honeymoon and we were driving to a house where we were renting a room. I saw a wooden sign on the side of the road stating ‘hand made knives’. Dropped the Mrs. off and headed back to the house with sign. Walked to the back where the smithy had his wares. Walked into he and a couple other locals were in the process of smoking some NZ bush weed. Of course I had already indulged in a pipe of bubble hash where I tucked a larger of wad in cellophane between cheek and gum when I came into country.

After the shock of my arrival (guess he didn’t get a lot of traffic), we got on quite well. He showed off his hand made knives. Enjoyed the company briefly (couldn’t leave the Mrs. too long on the honeymoon) and I headed back to the room. Went the next day and bought this beauty.

View Image

I can’t wait to use it slicing my first cobs. What I intend to learn with.

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze...I’ve got two phenos. One more diesel leaning.

View Image

The hazy beauty I’ll likely try to clone and keep around

View Image

Ace new Killer Malawi S1

View Image

Ace Purple Haze x Malawi

View Image

I’ve got others, but I’ll start with those gems...get back to my catching up and see you all soon in real time.
Nice my friend they should make some super charged cobs top drawer strains.
Heres some pics from 420 forum Pumas Pyjamas work reportedly very terpy and great colors top job by the brother.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Mallitlahuani

Hello, I've read a good part of this thread and it inspired me so much I had to try it, so I did a first attempt at it and the photos are on my album, I haven't been able to figure how to post pictures in threads.

Smokewise me and my partner thought that it was a lot smoother compared to jar cured, allthough I diddnt feel like I was able to nail that terpy kind of gooiness that I am seeking.

I'm on my second attempt now and my process so far has been to dry after harvest for 8 days on the branch, then remove as much stem as possible, it was 77 to 76% RH when cobbed, I have it in an are that fluctuates between 33C and 40C. I was thinking of leaving it there 16 hours, does that sound like a good amount of time to achieve a golden/reddish color?

Tangwena

Veteran
Hello, I've read a good part of this thread and it inspired me so much I had to try it, so I did a first attempt at it and the photos are on my album, I haven't been able to figure how to post pictures in threads.

Smokewise me and my partner thought that it was a lot smoother compared to jar cured, allthough I diddnt feel like I was able to nail that terpy kind of gooiness that I am seeking.

I'm on my second attempt now and my process so far has been to dry after harvest for 8 days on the branch, then remove as much stem as possible, it was 77 to 76% RH when cobbed, I have it in an are that fluctuates between 33C and 40C. I was thinking of leaving it there 16 hours, does that sound like a good amount of time to achieve a golden/reddish color?
Hi my friend a good friend of mine has meter that reads the moisture content ( I go by touch) he says 80% RH is a good level.
But 77% sounds good the drier cures need more time so just keep an eye on the canary buds that is buds with no wrapper we always include some to see how the cure is progressing without opening the bag or dont wrap the cobs just vacuum seal them and you can see the colors change.
Keep an eye on them as they can change quite quickly from colorful to dark where you can loose the terps.
Once you see the colors you want open and dry them to stop further fermentation.
Then re seal them to age.
The colors you get also come from the different strains used you didn't say what your curing.

NotYourSaviour

Cheers for your dedication once again, Tangwena!

Cheers for your dedication once again, Tangwena!

This was posted in another thread, I dont remember which one
This is how hash is cobbed, it is a different process than ganja but it gives you an idea if you can work it barehanded or not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q41ad0L63bA

That was most probably me then here from this wonderful thread concerning imported hashish, cheers!

While we're on it: ElDuderCabre mentioned a link about Malawi and grass culture in this thread,here is this video !

@Tangwena

Just reported back from Amsterdam and if I would have found some Malawi there I would have put up a picture. Unfortunately not available at some places selling that in the past sometimes.

Though that would have been very commercial anyway as with so many landraces they sell there[ Thai, Jamaican, Durban, Ghanaian and sometimes others]as I take it there are different grades hopefully produced in Malawi?

Tried most of the mentioned above and while often relatively smooth they sucked highwise ; I take this serious and have a pretty low physical tolerance as well as trying everything mostly separately.

However, I see you have watched the video about the wrapped up hashish though to me this is only about speeded up decarboxylation and so another 'worked hash' then and not a fermentation of hashish I now for some time look for[ we cured our homegrown years ago with Simon's fine method on here but to be anal again this isn't a fermentation again either but better than nothing and wouldn't want to smoke uncured grass these days, as it is hard to go back if once been there:biggrin:].

So my question is do you know something more deep about fermenting hashish?

Any links or what ever would be well appreciated.

Though maybe I'm looking for something non-existant and the only thing I can get is smoother and more tasty bud/hashish without increased potency[though a change in smell and taste should have to do with terpenes which on the other hand have an influence on effects].

Hope dies all and that! It's all about getting the full potential of something.

Last but not least thanks again for your dedication in this amazing thread here, I commented about this before and when ever I can get back to homegrown I will try this.

Even though your chewing cobs regarding tolerance issues sounds too good to be true as I tried almost anything[ different strains on tap, switching to hashish and back, doing a lot of sports et cetera]and am a passionate eater of self-processed edibles too: never got rid of tolerance at one point and only solution I found is to only consume every now and then to get the full potential off a consumption unit as I like it trippy and intense myself[each to their own though of course as it is about individual choice to me!]. Though to err is human, right?

So give it a go someday definitely!

Anyway, keep it up:tiphat:!

Tangwena

Veteran
That was most probably me then here from this wonderful thread concerning imported hashish, cheers!

While we're on it: ElDuderCabre mentioned a link about Malawi and grass culture in this thread,here is this video !

@Tangwena

Just reported back from Amsterdam and if I would have found some Malawi there I would have put up a picture. Unfortunately not available at some places selling that in the past sometimes.

Though that would have been very commercial anyway as with so many landraces they sell there[ Thai, Jamaican, Durban, Ghanaian and sometimes others]as I take it there are different grades hopefully produced in Malawi?

Tried most of the mentioned above and while often relatively smooth they sucked highwise ; I take this serious and have a pretty low physical tolerance as well as trying everything mostly separately.

However, I see you have watched the video about the wrapped up hashish though to me this is only about speeded up decarboxylation and so another 'worked hash' then and not a fermentation of hashish I now for some time look for[ we cured our homegrown years ago with Simon's fine method on here but to be anal again this isn't a fermentation again either but better than nothing and wouldn't want to smoke uncured grass these days, as it is hard to go back if once been there:biggrin:].

So my question is do you know something more deep about fermenting hashish?

Any links or what ever would be well appreciated.

Though maybe I'm looking for something non-existant and the only thing I can get is smoother and more tasty bud/hashish without increased potency[though a change in smell and taste should have to do with terpenes which on the other hand have an influence on effects].

Hope dies all and that! It's all about getting the full potential of something.

Last but not least thanks again for your dedication in this amazing thread here, I commented about this before and when ever I can get back to homegrown I will try this.

Even though your chewing cobs regarding tolerance issues sounds too good to be true as I tried almost anything[ different strains on tap, switching to hashish and back, doing a lot of sports et cetera]and am a passionate eater of self-processed edibles too: never got rid of tolerance at one point and only solution I found is to only consume every now and then to get the full potential off a consumption unit as I like it trippy and intense myself[each to their own though of course as it is about individual choice to me!]. Though to err is human, right?

So give it a go someday definitely!

Anyway, keep it up:tiphat:!
Hi my friend thanks for the kind words.
Regarding potency of highs it all starts with using the correct plant in the first place. I am sure you know that something grown on a hill in Columbia near the equator is not going to be the same as if I grow it at sea level in a cold climate or even indoors under lights.
Just because the buds are covered in resin or tested to be high THC doesn't mean your going to get a trippy high.
Most if not all the pot I have smoked since I left Africa years ago just gets you stoned highs are very few and far between.
Cob curing will not increase potency if its not there in the first place.
Its just a method of curing pot to make it smoother to smoke it also makes it useful to chew if you prefer to not smoke or cant as is my case.
To get a trippy effect from this cure you need first class trippy pot to begin with.
Grown properly, harvested at its peak for trippy effects and then cured the best way to bring these effects out.
Its extremely difficult to get all these things correct. Miss any one and you fail so giving it a shot will not get the results you seak.
Only dedicated growers of high quality trippy grass who know what they are doing and understand curing will ever get there.
The rest of us just keep trying to perfect the art of growing pot, curing pot and enjoying pot.

funkyhorse

View Image
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75063&pictureid=1907696

The finger hash is just a close up of resin scraped off of my fingers while cobbing the Mulanji buds.
It was a rosey color and smelt like real old school hash so I had to take a close up.
I have been heating the hash at 40c and it has matured the resin just the same as it does in the cobs I was not expecting that.

It also changed the smell and taste into a deeper more old school hash taste and flavor.
Its just an observation I dont know if its a valid technique but I read somewhere that traditionally some hash was aged in goat skins in warm conditions and was highly rated.

G'day Tangwena
By this time that finger hash is history or still alive?
Did you do a test with similar non fermented finger hash?
How was the outcome with this piece?
Have a nice weekend

Tangwena

Veteran
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75063&pictureid=1907696

G'day Tangwena
By this time that finger hash is history or still alive?
Did you do a test with similar non fermented finger hash?
How was the outcome with this piece?
Have a nice weekend
I dont smoke hash or anything else so I was not able to make a comparison it was just an observation based on smell and texture.
It tied in with some old school curing techniques for hash so i posted it, but I dont know if it made the smoke any better obviously.
I am only interested in curing techniques for grass the old world has many different curing techniques mostly forgotten or ignored in the rush for green buds ready for sale as quickly as possible.
To me its a bit like alcohol you can age whisky for a smoother drink or drink it straight from the still they both get you drunk.
Pot/hash is no different green buds or resin both get you high cured and aged are smoother and the high different but not always stronger its a matter of personal taste and which you prefer.

funkyhorse

I wasnt expecting you to smoke it. You dont need to smoke hash in order to get the best high of it
I guess this is neuroscience. You will always like better the food you tried first
These forums should have existed in the 80's when I had plenty of fermented weed. You should have told me back then to snus ganja in the 80's, I tried making teas with ganja and it was a total waste

If you put a tiny piece of hash same weight you do for cobs and you dissolve it in a spoon with a little bit of olive oil using a gas heater and place the dissolved content of that spoon in your coffee, in your tea with milk or in your dairy pudding, you get space coffee or space pudding and effects should match the one of your cob, but since I dont have your skill for making cobs and I dont have a Tangwena around me to make cobs for me, I stick with making space resin

With ganja I know and tried bhang and cambodian space pizza, but I never tried snusing
I am interested to know if there is a difference in the effect between fermented and non fermented hash and not for smoking purposes but for making space pudding or space turkish coffee which I really like a lot, I guess is a matter of tastes, be it ganja or hash, I like it cured since this is the way I learnt it, it makes a big difference.
But one thing is cured hash and another thing is fermented hash and I am really curious about it and I guess curiosity is what killed the cat

funkyhorse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermentation
Fermentation is a metabolic process that produces chemical changes in organic substrates through the action of enzymes.

This thread is about fermented weed. The Malawi cob process is a fermenting process and different people over the world found fermenting to produce long lasting quality buds, south american top notch weed of the 80's was fermented, and reading the descriptions at this site Thai Stick was fermented weed too. So not only africans knew about fermentation technics.
In the 20th century things were done to last long time, today things last just until the day the warranty of that product expires. Fermented weed will keep its quality for years contrary to non fermented weed. This technic has been lost to fast flowering strains and commercial overdemand
I never heard or tried fermented hash and I think is interesting

Curing
Once cannabis is dried to 62%, it is sealed in airtight jars to 'cure.' The minimum time for a cure is 30 days. Some growers even cure as long as six months, while others do not cure at all. As with tobacco, curing can make the cannabis more pleasant to smoke. For the same reasons as when drying, curing jars are stored in a cool, dark place.
From this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_cultivation

I am pretty sure you can find much more info about curing in this forum, if you are curious about fermentation, you are in right thread. Check Simon thread which has been linked just above by NotYourSaviour. I personally like after 3 months jar to keep it on vaccuum for long term cure, it is the only way I found effective curing without losing potency living on wetlands

Latest posts

Latest posts