What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Why thank you downunder mate! Blush blush blush...

This morning it was dry on the outside but spongy, like you said, so I gave it a good squeeze, just like I do with the missus buttocks :laughing: , vacuum sealed it and away it went into the boiler room where it's always warmish... see, I reverently follow your tips...weird feeling switching chairs in the classroom ;)

Have a nice weekend!

:tiphat:orf

P.S. Had a good laugh at your username yesterday for I initially thought it was pussy winner but then I found out it is a particular tribe where you used to live... :laughing:
Cool my friend the name Tangwena was given to me by and old man who worked with me in Zimbabwe.
It was the name of a famous local chief who was very helpful to the future president during the struggle for independence.
I always respected him and I liked the name so it has stuck in his memory.

S

Sertaiz

dashboard baking.....
then at night i sleep with them.... keep the temp up.

and cool to know more about the name, tang.

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
tangwena i google searched cob curing wanted to see what was out there for methods your name popped up on top 420magazine.com. nice to know came right place to learn the method

Tangwena

Veteran
tangwena i google searched cob curing wanted to see what was out there for methods your name popped up on top 420magazine.com. nice to know came right place to learn the method
Sweet Sue and the gang at 420 have had some beautiful cobs there are plenty of cool cats over there almost as cool as this site but not quite ha ha.

I came across another guy when I googled cobs. I forget the sites name but the cobs were mind blowing lots of people turning on now.

Just be warned it will become an obsession and major addiction to add to your growing addiction.

Drewsif

A rubber, hmmm.. That gives an idea..

Cobs are out, jenkem cure is in! For that old school high.

Seriously, getting high on the oldest, biggest collective organisms in the universe. The ultimate. When will the sophisticated catch on.

Now I'm curious what it is converting d9 into 11hydroxy in the stomach.. Probably molasses or fruit juice or something. Eh just eat a mango i guess.

OOPS wrong thread. The search for trip weed..

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Purple Haze

Panama x Purple Haze

This is the changes brought on by 20hrs at 40c in a vacuum jar.
The buds will now be air dried of residual moisture before being vacuum sealed to cure further at room temps 25c.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Purple Haze buds and cobs

Panama x Purple Haze buds and cobs

These buds which I sweated in a vacuum jar are now ready to dry to the normal level for a traditional jar cure.
They smell amazing I wont even bother trying to describe them but regular cobbers will know what I mean when I say sweet fermented fruit.
Once dried and aged they will smoke like incense perfumed air and if I'm lucky offer a very intense experience of the highest order.

picture.php
picture.php

The cobs are done 2 slightly different ways three if you count the Malawi Cobs smell the same only more so.
They are drying in the warm afternoon air and will be sealed up for a week before re inspecting/drying again.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

ColaCalyx

November Guawi#3 Cob

November Guawi#3 Cob

Howzit Tang and friends

Just wanted to update - this Guawi cob done with a lighter touch is amazing. The Guawi#3 I grew last season had these amazing stem rub smells of nutmeg, yet the buds themselves are wood, resin, and ginger root funk. My Guawi jar-cured is unique in that its smell is only really apparent when broken up. It still isnt incredibly aromatic though. When vaped is another story, it becomes very flavorful and aromatic.

This is highly contrasted by its cob counterpart - Its aromas are much stronger than the jar-cured and upon opening the bag, I am smacked in the face by its aromas. I have a feeling this strain's smells are brought out by heat, making the cob cure technique ideal for this particular plant. Not to mention its powerful shit....high praise:biggrin:

Once again Mr. T, thanks to you for the guidance

I can't wait for this next harvest to make some even better ones!

Attachments

• 20190604_085750.jpg
    20190604_085750.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190604_085744.jpg
    20190604_085744.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20190604_085656.jpg
    20190604_085656.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190604_085639.jpg
    20190604_085639.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 29

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi my friend lovely job and I can see why its so aromatic nice colors.
Practice makes perfect my friend every time you cure this way you learn something more about the plants you grow and how best to cure them nice job brother.

F

Fermented

I have a feeling this strain's smells are brought out by heat, making the cob cure technique ideal for this particular plant.

It could be the heat ...or it could be a combination of the heat affecting the resin and terpenes ..as well that the terpenes are sealed in and do not escape unlike what happens with with the standard dry/cure technique where the buds are air dried then sealed up at room temps?

Last edited:
F

Fermented

Here's an update on cobbing without a vacuum sealing machine.....I do things a little differently now

Harvest then air dry for 24 ~ 48 hours. wrap the cobs tightly in 10 inch x 5 inch pieces of PE wrap (Saran), repeat the Saran wrap three times to really seal the cobs as you do not want the moisture to escape and dry out the cob. Place inside two sandwich bags and put it on 40C heat for 24 hours. Unwrap then air dry the dampish cob for 6 ~ 12 hours then re-wrap in three layers of wrap again for 48 hours. Unwrap and check the moisture of the cob, if it's dampish then air dry again until the exterior is dry-ish and the inside of the cob still is pliable not hard/dry. When wrapping the cobs in wrap, make sure to really pull tight as you roll them up so zero air/moisture escapes and fold over the ends to really seal them......after a week, unwrap and check the cobs again... etc ..

Happy Cobbing!

Tangwena

Veteran
Here's an update on cobbing without a vacuum sealing machine.....I do things a little differently now

Harvest then air dry for 24 ~ 48 hours. wrap the cobs tightly in 10 inch x 5 inch pieces of PE wrap (Saran), repeat the Saran wrap three times to really seal the cobs as you do not want the moisture to escape and dry out the cob. Place inside two sandwich bags and put it on 40C heat for 24 hours. Unwrap then air dry the dampish cob for 6 ~ 12 hours then re-wrap in three layers of wrap again for 48 hours. Unwrap and check the moisture of the cob, if it's dampish then air dry again until the exterior is dry-ish and the inside of the cob still is pliable not hard/dry. When wrapping the cobs in wrap, make sure to really pull tight as you roll them up so zero air/moisture escapes and fold over the ends to really seal them......after a week, unwrap and check the cobs again... etc ..

Happy Cobbing!
Hi brother sounds sound and awesome please post pics after a month or so they should be really cool by then nice one my friend.

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Purple Haze sweated and jar cured.

Panama x Purple Haze sweated and jar cured.

These are the buds after 2 weeks cure now in jar without vacuum to age.
First pic after harvest
Second pic after sweating as they dried
Third pic after 2 weeks now aging

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Purple Haze buds vs cobbed resin maturity

Panama x Purple Haze buds vs cobbed resin maturity

These close ups of the resin in the jar cured buds and the cobbed buds show how cobbing changes the resin.

Both same buds, same age the buds will no doubt be speedy and the cobs are (testing them right now) extremely spaced out and trippy.

Once aged both highs will change for the better.
First up the buds the resin will remain basically white unchanged as it ages.
The second the cob the resin now going a caramel color will darken as it ages.

picture.php
picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
here is my 2nd cobb - the weed was actually dried for about 10days b4 cobbing - i bagged it on june 9th, opened the bag on june 11 to dry and again on jun 13 and june 16- opened the bag today and removed the corn husk.. thought it would be a bit more colorful.. - its still a bit moist, so will let it dry for some hrs and put back into a seal a meal bag

Attachments

• IMG_4404 (2).jpg
    IMG_4404 (2).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32