What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Fermented your describing the typical strong African effect. The locals smoke pot to energize themselves not to get stoned and sit like a budda.
The fermenting or cobbing just brings these effects out if done properly and makes them last longer.
I have smoked pot grown in Africa and cured by the locals properly and I have smoked the same pot from seeds I took grown and dried western style (jar cured) and they are totally different highs.
I prefer the deeper trippy effects I get from fermented buds its what I grew up with and prefer. The high from dried buds is course and rough the cobbed high is smooth and euphoric.
Its the feeling of being super man that I look for in pot taken out of the normal world into a world ruled only by your imagination.
When I lived in Africa Malawi laughing grass was number one its nice to be able to feel that again.

F

Fermented

Tangwena....What are the local names for cannabis, bud, cobs in Malawi? Are only cobs available in Malawi or can you also buy un-cobbed bud too. How illegal was cannabis in Malawi when you were there?

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena....What are the local names for cannabis, bud, cobs in Malawi? Are only cobs available in Malawi or can you also buy un-cobbed bud too. How illegal was cannabis in Malawi when you were there?
It depends what area you were in.

But mostly it was called chamba but there were many other street names as it was very illegal although the cops were easy to pay off if you did get caught by a local cop.
The CID were more trouble but not that active it is a very poor country and pot is well ingrained in there traditional life so its quite widely accepted by the general population.
You could get buds loose as well usually from the source. They were all sweated though cured to a lovely gold and red color.
The only green buds were from farmers cashing in on the tourists who usually didn't have a clue how to grow,harvest or cure their buds just sun drying it.
It may have changed now it was a long time ago. But the last time I was there about 15 years ago nothing had changed.
It was very hard to get top drawer quality without good connections but if your there long enough its not hard to cultivate those connections as Malawians are a very friendly people and the salt of the earth.
Its a very beautiful part of Africa unique in every way and safe to travel in, very worth a visit if you have the spare cash.

Tangwena

Veteran
PuntoRojo x Col Jam

PuntoRojo x Col Jam

Next to feel the heat some real deal South American buds with a taste of Jamaica in there somewhere.
They smell oily very resiny smell with a back ground of flowers/fruit Like Dubi describes the Purple haze smells like port wine.
I did not grow these they were gifted to me grown outdoors.
I am trying some jar sweated and some more traditionally cured in a cob.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
18hrs sweating in vacuumed jar

18hrs sweating in vacuumed jar

Same buds one sweated one dried.
These are both being treated as canary buds just vac sealed in the same bag to sweat for 12 hours then allowed to ferment until they reach the desired color and then cured.

picture.php

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
tangwena... i'm at day 81 with my zamaldelica... thinkin another week/10days, then will cob part of the harvest... i'll post some pic's...

Tangwena

Veteran
tangwena... i'm at day 81 with my zamaldelica... thinkin another week/10days, then will cob part of the harvest... i'll post some pic's...
Cool my friend Zamaldelica is one of the strains that get super powers from this cure.
I haven't chewed any for a while but I will today now you have jolted my memory ha ha.
Aces strong strains are the best medicine around in my book.
I have been on the M/Ethiopia and GT a lot lately they are all different in subtle and not so subtle ways each has its own character but at the moment the M/E is something along with Honduras/ Panama that really has my attention.
I just popped a couple of Hond /Pan fems and a fruity Malawi x Ethiopian to taste the difference the fruity Malawi makes.
I also chucked in A5/ Panama to see whats that about.
Its going to be a stinky grow box in a couple of months ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Wanna Get High? Panama x Honduras will do it.

Wanna Get High? Panama x Honduras will do it.

Just chewed about a quarter of a gram of this sweet seductress.
After a week on the Malawi x Ethiopian madness cob its hit me hard and fast.
The cob tastes of sweet fermented fruit and flowers but kicks your ass into overdrive ha ha.
I was so high I nearly typed "ha ha" after the web address on the browser its only about 15 mins in so I'm going to be really wasted in a couple hours he he.

Heres what it looked like so sexy.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Rio

I think this cob stuff is overrated

I totally agree. I smoke it always when in Africa and the only good thing about it I like is its smooth on my throat. It may have some spicy feeling to it sometimes which comes from prolonged sweat curing, you can have this exhagerated effect if you water soak buds (they get this nasty stink). Ive given my european style grown and cured herb to locals in Africa and they all allways say its much more potent and more flavour than any local ganja. They often chew too much of mirra too which somewhat modulates weed. Not to piss on your cob party but this is my opinion. I like sweat cured african shit sometimes for variety though, just like asian weed or different types of hash. Sometimes you just want smthn different.

Tangwena

Veteran
I totally agree. I smoke it always when in Africa and the only good thing about it I like is its smooth on my throat. It may have some spicy feeling to it sometimes which comes from prolonged sweat curing, you can have this exhagerated effect if you water soak buds (they get this nasty stink). Ive given my european style grown and cured herb to locals in Africa and they all allways say its much more potent and more flavour than any local ganja. They often chew too much of mirra too which somewhat modulates weed. Not to piss on your cob party but this is my opinion. I like sweat cured african shit sometimes for variety though, just like asian weed or different types of hash. Sometimes you just want smthn different.
You are entitled to your opinion my friend what part of Africa are/were you in?
Not all cobbed weed sold in Africa was good there was plenty of low grade madjut around all the time which is what it sounds like your talking about.
Any pics would be great also.
Lots of people have the same opinion as you if they buy the low grade tourist stuff. The high grade was harder to find and you needed the right contacts.
Even in Malawi its mainly dry seeded golden brown harsh smoking low quality stuff.
Every man and his dog grow it they are so poor its just to put food on the table most of the time they just sun dry it and bind it up.
Then Bingo Malawi cobs for tourists.
Also most rural Africans I met liked weak beer and weak pot it was only the hard core smokers who liked the strong stuff.
All this made it harder to find the kind of trippy gear I liked.

F

Fermented

was wondering is it easy to break up with fingers or scissors or grinder needed to smoke

I depends on how densely the cobs were rolled up....the dense cobs I make end up being hard, heavy and require scissors to cut off lots of tiny bits or thin slivers which are rubbed for a few seconds with thumbs and forefingers into a rolling mix. My cobs definitely end up being too hard to be broken up with just my fingernails.

but if you don't compress your cobs when making them then they will break up similar to other bud that was standard dried/cured.

Happy Cobbing!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Last fall I made about 50 small ones (~5 grams. not pictured) as samples. They've been curing since last harvest. I'll be handing them out this summer looking for christmas orders. lol

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm using 3/4" x 6" PVC pipe tube and a vice to prepress extra kief salted buds into shape before wrapping them in banana leaves for their long warm sleep.

F

Fermented

Tycho...how's the high on those cobs?

I don't think dry sifted resin would ferment, but I bet the high from the cobs made with dry sifted resin encrusted buds was super charged high octane in a good way! Maybe the resin is affected in a positive way by the cobbing process.

Has anyone made cobs with intact resin heads processed from fresh frozen buds? I wonder if the quality of the high of the resin (buds+resin or 100% resin) would be enhanced by the cobbing process?