What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

H

hard rain

Thanks. I've got her vac'd for a few more days then the dry.
Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention. A very interesting thread.
More cobbed and uncobbed kali mist. Hoping to try this with proper Malawi in a while.

Oh I'm not in USA, in OZ.
Anyway I'll smoke both the cobbed and uncobbed in a while and see.
:tiphat:

Last edited:

Levitationofme

Yea, should have read your thread more completely. Most questions have been asked already.
Great thread.
Are any of the African strains suitable for a cabinet grow?
The extra flowering time doesn't worry me.
Crazy massive plants not in the star's for me.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks. I've got her vac'd for a few more days then the dry.
Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention. A very interesting thread.
More cobbed and uncobbed kali mist. Hoping to try this with proper Malawi in a while.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=17596&pictureid=1569353View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=17596&pictureid=1569347View Image
Oh I'm not in USA, in OZ.
Anyway I'll smoke both the cobbed and uncobbed in a while and see.
:tiphat:
Sorry my bad, I just assumed you were in USA. Go Aussie, i wouldn't mind having a chunk of that cob in a month, it looks like you will need a knife to cut a slice like hash, once it has dried.
My mouth is watering thinking about it. playing around with the moisture content of the buds going in and sweating and curing times will give you a whole new menu from the one strain.
If you have enough buds try doing a few cobs differently you will be amazed how it effects the outcome.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Yea, should have read your thread more completely. Most questions have been asked already.
Great thread.
Are any of the African strains suitable for a cabinet grow?
The extra flowering time doesn't worry me.
Crazy massive plants not in the star's for me.

Africans are mainly all I grow in a small cabinet, so yes all of them.
Check out Ace and CBG they have some awesome strains that suite this technique. IMO it works best with a really trippy up high.
If its narcotic to start with it will lay you on your arse once you cob it ha ha.
Tangwena

Levitationofme

next grow project for the Cob!

next grow project for the Cob!

Very interesting, I think that may be my project to start my next Season.
I have to shut down for a month or so and get away.
I am checking those vendors out now. I have yet to order off of Seedbay.
Other then your general advice on the strains, is their something I should keep my eyes open for? It will be my second season of growing, not an expert, but very diligent

Nice amount of information on the different breeds on the sites. That will help keep the questions down.

Thanks for the great thread

Here is my first cob. This was the one with the somewhat premature chop of Zamaldelica due to a few nanners.
The cob is still drying after in the vac for 8 days. The small one smells even better than the big one (both smell great), maybe some different enzymes or fermentation bacteria?
As a lot is tied to PH during fermentation it might also be that the buds had different PH in the two cobs. As a reminder, the small one had all the lowers and and popcorn in it.
The fermentation of the fan leafs seems to work fine too. So far no signs of mold. One pic is the two weeks old the other is two days in.

ZD

Attachments

• cobdone2.jpg
    cobdone2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 47
  • cob ful.jpg
    cob ful.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 47
  • fan2dys.jpg
    fan2dys.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 37
  • fan2wk.jpg
    fan2wk.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 40

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi ZD throw the leaves away mate, you dont get high off of leaves. But the open cob has nice color and it looks like you nailed it nicely, congrats.
I find that the pop corn buds very often give excellent results also, they are usually more mature I think.
You should get two lovely cobs going by the photo, it will show you how the same buds from the same plant can produce different effects and tastes.
I have 3 cobs of GT and they all taste slightly different and the highs vary in strength and intensity across the 3 cobs, all harvested at the same time from the same plant.
One cob is big 2oz one 1oz and the other 1/2 oz. But all have different sweat times and vac sealed times. That is without varying the density of the cobs by binding looser or tighter. It never stops amazing me every time I open a new cob.
Tangwena

Hi ZD throw the leaves away mate, you dont get high off of leaves. But the open cob has nice color and it looks like you nailed it nicely, congrats.
I find that the pop corn buds very often give excellent results also, they are usually more mature I think.
You should get two lovely cobs going by the photo, it will show you how the same buds from the same plant can produce different effects and tastes.
I have 3 cobs of GT and they all taste slightly different and the highs vary in strength and intensity across the 3 cobs, all harvested at the same time from the same plant.
One cob is big 2oz one 1oz and the other 1/2 oz. But all have different sweat times and vac sealed times. That is without varying the density of the cobs by binding looser or tighter. It never stops amazing me every time I open a new cob.
Tangwena

Thanks, the cobs smell real good, if they wouldn't be too moist I don't know if I could still wait;)

The leafs are not to get me high, just as a tobacco substitute, just as a filler as I don't (always) want to smoke pure. And it is an experiment, I am inherently investigative!
In time I will report on th difference between the two cobs.

Thanks again for handing down the knowledge, even without having tried my cobs yet I am 100% convinced, it just makes perfect sense (and smells soooo good).

ZD

Tangwena

Veteran
Cool ZD that sweet smell is something else I agree, I still get very excited when I first smell it.
Tangwena

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Im glad to see so many people trying out cobbing. You guys think those fresh cobs are good now? Shit, wait a month or two. You'll really be blown away how good they can get. If you haven't already smoked all of it by then. Ha.

Be careful of sharing aged cobs with light-weights. It can make people paranoid, and have auditory hallucinations. I shared a couple of bowls with a buddy, who is just a social smoker. Once maybe twice a month. Well he got wrecked from just those two bowls, and told me he woke up(after an 8 hour sleep) freaking out thinking someone was trying to break into his house. So much so he got his gun out and started peaking out the windows of his house, but it was all in his head.

It definitely doesn't affect me that way as Ive a heavy tolerance, and these cobs really get me to where I need to be, but nothing trippy like that for me. That was just a Mr. Nice Shit cob too. I can't wait to try an aged pure Sativa cob...Oh yeah, Ive got one aging right now. :dance013:

Cobbing for life from here on out.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we have some of mr nice's ssh that was cut 3days ago... have it drying on a screen... today or tomm we will cobb it .. as well as some sdkush from an old rez plant... why am I cobbing indica's?? (and ssh is no sativa)... our GT has been flowering for 80days... past experience with the lady (she is a cutting) is that she will go past 150days... that's under 3k of lights... so by the time she is ready to cobb, and then some curing, we would be looking at july... can't wait that long... we will see what cobbing does to a hybrid...:tiphat:

BoldAsLove

Veteran
Waiting is really hard. My tester cob is already gone :frown:

Oh wait here's some coming down the line now! :D

picture.php

Gives a whole new meaning to a "dozen ears" eh Dave?? Hahaha I agree, these get me to where I need to be (the BEST medicine hands down), and it's a LOT of fun watching the lightweights. Hell, it's fun watching a fully seasoned toker come up on the cob for their first time. My buddy couldn't handle himself anymore after some cob and he's used to puffing on moonrocks, BHO, whatever's strong, etc.. He was bumping into everything! His coordination was gone after just one bowl. He usually pulls out his tobacco once he's reached a proper high, which is typically 3, 4, 5 bowls into a session. Well, he was fumbling for those ciggys half way through the FIRST bowl of cob. He was fully wrecked.

Can't wait for some late Purple Haze cob, she's bringing up the rear by herself.

picture.php

picture.php

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Damn! So many cobs. Im so jealous now. I better get my ass to the store and buy the materials I need so I can begin cobbing my Gypsy Thai's Ive got hanging up. Im not sure If Ill end up with that many cobs after all is said and done, but I sure hope so!

Tangwena

Veteran
Awesome result Bold as Love, that purple haze is amazing I have not seen such big buds close up before. That will be spectacular cobbed, getting excited just thinking of it.
Into it brother RESPECT!
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
we have some of mr nice's ssh that was cut 3days ago... have it drying on a screen... today or tomm we will cobb it .. as well as some sdkush from an old rez plant... why am I cobbing indica's?? (and ssh is no sativa)... our GT has been flowering for 80days... past experience with the lady (she is a cutting) is that she will go past 150days... that's under 3k of lights... so by the time she is ready to cobb, and then some curing, we would be looking at july... can't wait that long... we will see what cobbing does to a hybrid...:tiphat:
Hi Zack if that GT is a Thai pheno you will be in for a treat, i have some cobbed Thai pheno and it is over the top ecstacy tripping high that is so good, everyone who tries it just loves it.
The hybrid indica types will give you some deep thinking ha ha
i have a Malawi Gt pheno that is speedy as hell for the first couple of hours but then deeply narcotic for the rest of the trip.
I prefer the Thai pheno though. The indicas will be like opium i reckon. looking forward to a smoke report my friend.
Tangwena

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I used to get them when I grew a Thai/skunk cross years ago and I never got seeds from them this late in the flowering.

Tangwena

Was that Sam's Thai Haze x Skunk 1?

I have one in flower now and will attempt a cob when she gets chopped
in a few more weeks.

But first up is a Zamaldelica that is ready to chop now.

A cobbed Zamaldelica will be rewarding, no?

woolybear

Veteran
wow bold those are some excellent results!

Look forward to trying this out with a proper sized cob, 1 oz or better. wish me luck its gonna take a few months

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Dropped cat, no it was flying dutchman Thaitanic. Very nice high but it ran out after an hour and then I just felt sleepy. So I didn't keep it.
Tangwena

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Hi Dropped cat, no it was flying dutchman Thaitanic. Very nice high but it ran out after an hour and then I just felt sleepy. So I didn't keep it.
Tangwena

That fits, the cob method enhances the profile. Was the
high similar to buds that were smoked I wonder.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi DC I have been unable to inhale smoke for a long time, without coughing my lungs out, the same with vapour from a vape. But when I did smoke the TT it was no where near as strong as chewing the cobbed bud. Chewing the bud is also stronger than extacting into butter or coconut.
But only the cobbed bud, straight jared bud is nowhere near as strong and sometimes hardly works at all.
Chewing aged cob can get very hairy and you def cant drive after a bean size piece of a GOOD cob.
I have always kept both jar dried and cob cured for the different flavours, but when I want to trip (most of the time) its cobs all the way ha ha.
That reminds me time for some golden GT13 cob its 8am ha ha.
Tangwena

Latest posts

Latest posts