What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Palmero that looks like a nice cob mate I love the color, once it has dried try and age some of it for 2 or 3 months if you can.
You can smoke it now once it is dried but after a few months it will improve.Nice job mate there is no stopping now ha ha.
Tangwena

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I have a small harvest of some THC Bomb. The smoke is potent, but the flavor and aroma lack character. It's basically a potent commercial strain.

I hope that by cob curing this it will give it some character. I used 14 grams and wrapped it as tight as I could with hemp string. I will use more next harvest, but this is what I had available.

Here is my first cob ready to sweat. Since I only used 1/2 oz, I checked on it a few days later.

When I checked on my COB I noticed had started to shrink, so I opened the bag and took a look. Looks like it's starting to sweat. The outside of the cob was still damp.

So I wrapped it back up, tightened up the string and compressed it some more. After that I put it back in a vacuum bag and put it back in a cool dark place.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi my friend nice job on the sweating that cob will be ok dont worry, the strain will dictate the power in the end cob, but you will notice a difference whether you like it or not will depend on what the strain had to offer before cobbing.
It will be interesting to get your opinion on the resulting high or stone.
I prefer strong sativas but I have never tried it on a strong hybrid strain so I am interested how it comes out.
Yesterday I spent the whole day tripped out gritting my teeth on a magic carpet ride on some cobbed Panama it was right up there in the power department. I was peaking about 3 hrs into the trip when I rolled a match stick joint of the GT13 cob.
My lungs are stuffed so I didn't inhale just tasted the smoke and slowly blew it out through my nose nose. The effect was instant I felt a rush of energy and my heart started beating faster, I dont know if it was because I was so high on the Panama but it was an incredible rush, so good I repeated it 4 times amazing hit. But thats from chewing the bud not smoking, its really strong once its had a bit of aging after removing from the vac bag.
Exciting times ahead my friend nicely done.
Tangwena

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I'm excited to give it a go. I just ordered some Ace Zamaldelica after reading how much you enjoyed the cobs. I haven't even smoked any cob cued buds yet and I'm hooked.

Thanks so much for this thread!

:tiphat:

Chop Chop

Chop Chop

I had to chop my first Zamaldelica lady today as I found a few nanners. None open so far but I wasn't going to wait for that. I would have loved to let her go longer and frankly I'm quite sad as it was my favourite of the three I have running. I'll probably will run her once more to see if she hermies again...

Now she's drying and then it's into the husks.
Tangwena, have you got any data as to what the cobbing does to an early harvest? Any improvements there?

Here are some pre-chop pics:

ZD

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi ZD unfortunatly early harvests dont do much for the zam in my experience, I would have let her go longer, a few mostly sterile nanners would not have been a bad thing.
I used to get them when I grew a Thai/skunk cross years ago and I never got seeds from them this late in the flowering.
The cobs only work if what you put in was strong in the first place, of course it will make it smoother to smoke, but the high is not developed enough early on to get much of a boost. But if you have others growing you will be able to compare them and see.
Sorry but I have to be honest and pulling early is not good IMO.
Tangwena

Hi ZD unfortunatly early harvests dont do much for the zam in my experience, I would have let her go longer, a few mostly sterile nanners would not have been a bad thing.
I used to get them when I grew a Thai/skunk cross years ago and I never got seeds from them this late in the flowering.
The cobs only work if what you put in was strong in the first place, of course it will make it smoother to smoke, but the high is not developed enough early on to get much of a boost. But if you have others growing you will be able to compare them and see.
Sorry but I have to be honest and pulling early is not good IMO.
Tangwena

Thanks for your honest answer, never was a fan of sugar coating:) I didn't want to risk anything with this grow but I'll probably run her again solo as I really liked her. Hope the smoke will not be too bad as she went at least 11.5 weeks but longer would have been better for sure!
Either way I'll report back... If it turns out to be not good enough I might experiment with extra long cobbing, just to see what it does. We'll see.

ZD

BoldAsLove

Veteran
Tangwena.....

Thank you.

This changes everything.

Zamaldelica x Oldtimer's Haze (ZD5xOTH#3)

picture.php

picture.php

This was left to sweat for 2.5 days, then two weeks vacuum sealed. The green color on the husk is from the green ribbon I bound it with. The just-dried effect blew me away. What happens after a couple months, Tangwena?! My God. Devastating.

Tangwena

Veteran
Bold as Love, welcome to the new world my friend you will never look back from here.
That looks picture perfect, once it has aged the high gets several times better.
The effects will be totaly different and more refined and longer lasting. Almost every cob has its own character, much like aged wine has. Nice job it makes me feel good when someone gets it right as you have. Respect brother nicely done.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
type two cobbing

type two cobbing

These are the cobs from my last harvest, they were sweated for half a day on a hot day, after vac curing for only 1 week in hot conditions they have been dried. I did not bind the cobs tighter on the second inspection as you do with the more compacted type of cobs.
The end product is looser and easily pulled apart. While the green sugar leaves haven't turned color as in a good sweat/cure, the buds themselves have cured nicely.
This is the second type of cob I used to get, they both do good things to the bud, but buds with large swollen calyxes (not the airy type buds they need compression), can be cured this way and you get a different effect.
The buds are still compressed but not amalgamated with the others so much.
The two types of cob give a nice change of texture, taste and high. I like both and my next grow of these strains is going to get the double tied treatment. For some sticks of hard cob.

I am just going up on some GT13 from the cob and getting very high.
Life is great.
Tangwena

I'm intrigued. I like the different colours in the cob, really stunning. But then I'd rather smoke it than look at it... Doees this method have anything to do with how moist they go into the cob or is that part identical?
You said they have a different effect, could you describe the differences?

ZD

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi ZD the longer you sweat them the darker the end result, the moisture content of the buds is critical. I could have left them longer but I wanted to try and get the type of cob I used to get from the goat herders in Malawi a more looser type of cob.
The loose cobs give a more speedy trippy high, the longer sweated dense hard cobs seem to produce a deeper dreamy trippy high, like hashish compared to buds.
Under a microscope the less sweated cobs have 50/50 amber trichs, the longer sweated hard cobs have only amber trichs.
The power you get is dependant on the power of the buds used, so the more power going in the more you get out.
The sativas I use have mostly milky trichs very little clear and only say 10% amber.
Harvesting later would change the effects and make the high more deeper still.
I am currently growing the green panama again to make dense hard cobs as I like to have both types in my cellar.
I like the kind of high where you get out of body experiences and personality changes, along with long lasting energy, the cobbed Panama is ideal for this as it lasts all day, giving me more time to experience the effects.
The highs are hard to describe but mushrooms and acid are similar, I just prefer cannabis, untill you try a good aged cob made from top quality sativas you will not understand.
Everyone I turn on to some good cob want nothing else after that, which is how I felt when I first tried it, it was how I wanted to feel all the time, its very addictive if you are weak like me.
I dont always get it right there are so many variables, but when I do its heaven.
Tangwena

subrovka

i´m sooo looking forward to my first cob after all this reading here..nice thread by the way!! there should arrive a 5 pack of ace malawi in my mailbox by tomorrow, so i´ll show up with my sweet cured malawi cobs in about 4-5 months, if everything goes well.
i could buy a kilo of dried banana-leaves for a few bucks..would that work as good as corn-leafes? experience anybody?

Tangwena

Veteran
i´m sooo looking forward to my first cob after all this reading here..nice thread by the way!! there should arrive a 5 pack of ace malawi in my mailbox by tomorrow, so i´ll show up with my sweet cured malawi cobs in about 4-5 months, if everything goes well.
i could buy a kilo of dried banana-leaves for a few bucks..would that work as good as corn-leafes? experience anybody?

Banana leaves are just fine my friend and good luck with the grow. Ace Malawi will really mess you up cob cured. I just use maize leaves because it leaves a sweat taste thats all.
I am enjoying Ace Panama again today the solid cobbed bud is very very strong compared to the jar cured. I made a large loose cob and a small hard solid one, the solid one is my favorite at the moment.
I intend making lots of solid cobs with my next grow its fast becoming my favorite chew.
Tangwena

bloyd

Veteran
How are people consuming these cobs? Do you have to grind before smoking/vaping. Do they burn to white ash or tend charcoal up.?

subrovka

Banana leaves are just fine my friend and good luck with the grow. Ace Malawi will really mess you up cob cured. I just use maize leaves because it leaves a sweat taste thats all.

thanks, that´s great info! so, i´ll try both then (banana and maize) :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts