What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi 12/12 from seed

subrovka

regarding to the paper published by Lydon (1987) you can easily calculate the exposure time needed for the proper amount of UV-B radiation, which is about 70min daily with a 3W UV-B radiant flux. i put a short explanation in the following picture.

i will start with 10min and then increase the exposure time slowly to 70min, after a while up to 90min daily due to the decreasing lamp efficiency over the time..

greets

:tiphat:

Attachments

• icmag malawi UVB.jpg
    icmag malawi UVB.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

subrovka

day 33 - first plants showing sex

day 33 - first plants showing sex

..the malawis are looking fine but need a transplant urgently.

#2 showed pistills :)woohoo::biggrin:) and #4 some balls at day 30.
transplanted #2 into a 4L fabric pot, the others are still in 1.7L.

#1, #3, and #5 are still unsexed.

i think #3 turns out female, but i´m still not sure.

#1 and #5 show no signs of (pre-)flowers, so far.

especially on #5 you can see the red stems, i would say that comes from the small pots, the root-vigour is massive on these plants as you can see..#5 is also the biggest one. either way, if it´s not showing sex in the next few days i´m gonna transplant it

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpg
    IMG_2495.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2502.jpg
    IMG_2502.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

subrovka

offtopic, took cuttings

offtopic, took cuttings

got these in the mail today..

..can´t wait to see what´s in these durban gems (guatemala is also interesting)

next pack is from ACE again, promise! :biggrin::biggrin:

ps. i took cuttings of #2, #3 and #5 about a week ago, because the lowest branches on these 3 were developed enough at this time. luckily #2 turned out female and i think #3 will, too. so let´s pray for #5 to turn out fem..:biggrin:

Last edited:

subrovka

pps. you know what this is..?

this is going to be a mini field of golden bantam maize for cobbing the malawi buds later. it´s in my veg area atm, i´ll put it on the balcony in a big (about 15 gal) fabric pot soon, also a nice way to recycle some used indoor soil.

7/12 germed, so instead of a square of 3x4 i´ll go with hexagon and one in the center. i´m excited how these turn out this year :biggrin:

Last edited:

Irotas

Hi nice grow, and the red stems are probably just genetic related because one of mine is doing the same.

I was wondering where you got those tall square pots from?

subrovka

hi irotas, thanks for the info! i´ll have an eye on the red stems. but i have to say after transplanting to 4L they are visibly happier, the growth is literally exploding now : )

I was wondering where you got those tall square pots from?

the pots are deep palm tree pots i bought from ebay. these are 9x9x21cm (1.7L), but i really don´t know where else to buy them but here:
[FONT="Century Gothic“]palm tree pots[/FONT]
(german ebay)

Last edited:

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Hello Subrovka,

Looking good! Love the fact you are growing these from 12/12 and that you are also growing maize to cob the buds!

I'd like to comment that growing 12/12 from seed, it is recommended to give the seeds plenty of root space from the very beginning, as they grow pretty fast and out grow smaller containers quickly as you have seen.

keep up the good work!

Peace

subrovka

I'd like to comment that growing 12/12 from seed, it is recommended to give the seeds plenty of root space from the very beginning, as they grow pretty fast and out grow smaller containers quickly as you have seen.

thanks bomba!

oh yes, i saw that..!
today i transplanted #5 and she was already a bit root-bound, so i had to rip of the sides of the root-ball a little bit..
next time (it´s gonna be the durban 12/12 fs) i´ll transplant earlier or start in bigger pots, for sure!

subrovka

day 35 - morning visit

day 35 - morning visit

..made my morning visit: #5 is female!! (the one i transplanted yesterday due to red stems and root-boundness)

females: #2, #3, #5

males: #4

still unsexed: #1

..i have the intuition that #1 is also female, because it has more, sturdier branches and shorter internodes than #4. like all the other females do.
#4 has less branches due to the longer internodal distance and already turned out male about a week ago, so it was the first plant showing sex.

i couldn´t imagine a better start with the malawis, thanks dubi ; )

EDIT day 38:

females: #1, #2, #3, #5 !!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

subrovka

day 42 - all 4 girls are transplanted..

day 42 - all 4 girls are transplanted..

..into 6.5L pots. #2 is stretching up massively now, i supercropped her yesterday in the evening, today in the morning her top was straight upwards again.

took cuts of #2, #3 and #5, all have rooted and are growing nicely. pics are coming next update, the clones get some topping and LST within the next 3 weeks..

these malawis are real fun to grow, so far.

subrovka

..and the male.

i keep it in a zip-lock, which i cut off and stick to the pot with some ducting tape.

this way it´s going to stay in my flower room untill it starts to drop pollen.

greetings,

subrovka

subrovka

yes try it, works well : )

it´s also possible with some bigger studs:

i keep them in the last corner of my room where the air movement isn´t too heavy, to avoid that the pollen flies out of the top hole.
did not have any unwanted pollination with this technique yet, i just put it out when the pollen drop starts to become to intense and collect the pollen safely, with a good distance to my girls :)

Latest posts

Latest posts