What's new

Making wax- but it's too dark.

nakadashi

Damn!! U got the process totally down for that wax now!!

10% is pretty bad for nugs..operator error or was it the quality of the nugs?

Also I never knew about the difference in flavors altitude makes, which is better?

furrywall11

Looks yummy...Are you sure it's totally purged? If I did this technique I would put it in the AI at 109 or lower for 8 hours afterwards just to be sure. At those temps it wouldn't affect the structure. 10% is low for nugs, I guess....I've been pulling %9 from the stickiest most insane looking trim I've ever seen. Kinda weird though the wax is coming out very nice.

Hash Man

Looks yummy...Are you sure it's totally purged? If I did this technique I would put it in the AI at 109 or lower for 8 hours afterwards just to be sure. At those temps it wouldn't affect the structure. 10% is low for nugs, I guess....I've been pulling %9 from the stickiest most insane looking trim I've ever seen. Kinda weird though the wax is coming out very nice.

Yea man- 9% is off for awesome trim. When i got 20% return, the bhogart was running 25psi. When i opened the gas flow itshowered slow, then when it hit the sight glass it dumped goldfor a minute or so. I cant seem to replicate this process. Every time dump at 25 psi i am getting a slow drip. 45psi and i only see gold for a few seconds.
I keep the red side on 100

Skyhighler- thnx,now i am trying to make some in the ai

Nakadeshi- thnx- stuff from high altitude finishes sooner lots of times. More frosty sooner.

furrywall11

I have the 5lb bhogart and I always get 40-50 PSI when doing the initial shower and then 60 on the blue side and, I restrict the red side to just under a hundred for the continuous shower. I don't do the shower-recover-shower technique. Lately when I'm emptying the tank on the initial shower I have to start the appion for 30 seconds about 15 minutes in to get the shower going again because there isn't enough negative pressure in the unit. I usually get about 10 minutes of intense frothy gold coming through and then it just looks like pale yellow and then clearish during the later parts of the one hour continuous shower.

I agree that 9% seems kind of low especially for this frosty Blueberry OG trim that I have that is very, very, crystally....it's around 170gms of oil per run, but still...the %'s are low. I'm thinking of running a heating pad under the collection pot during the continuous shower to encourage the butane to evaporate and thus cycle through faster.... More butane cycled will hopefully = higher yields.

Lebniis

Hash man, it sounds like you are running low on butane. With the 10% yield and the 'slow drip' would lead me to believe you need to fill up your tank.

furrywall11

Hashman - I tried the double boiler pyrex whipping technique and didn't get good results. It seems a beautiful layer of hard honeycomb wax formed on the top which the butane on the lower layer couldn't break through. The OP spoke of a crackling sound as the butane escaped... I never heard that, and I listened haha ;) ....I did however scrape the top layer of hard wax and noticed that the mushy layer underneath was still releasing butane. Be careful..

Hash Man

Hashman - I tried the double boiler pyrex whipping technique and didn't get good results. It seems a beautiful layer of hard honeycomb wax formed on the top which the butane on the lower layer couldn't break through. The OP spoke of a crackling sound as the butane escaped... I never heard that, and I listened haha ;) ....I did however scrape the top layer of hard wax and noticed that the mushy layer underneath was still releasing butane. Be careful..

For sure I noticed this in failed runs as well...
When done right, you can scrape large cookies off the pyrex and they are totally dry underneath...

If you dont whip enough- or if you whip to much, it wont cook right.
If you overheat or underheat, it wont cook right.
Its kind of like baking a brownie- If you dont hit the right temps for the right amount of time, it wont cook right.

That being said....

I can see now, after smoking lots of whipped wax, that i need to get the vacuum purge tek down, and fast. Its bomb, and all... but now I am going for clear shatter now that I am starting to run lots of nug.

nakadashi

Nakadeshi- thnx- stuff from high altitude finishes sooner lots of times. More frosty sooner.

I never even considered that altitude might affect bud quality. Maybe the girls get more light cuz it doesn't have to penetrate through a layer of smog haha.

Hash Man

yea man the altitude creates difference. I am not saying its better or worse. The temperature swings my friend at 3500 gets make his nugs finish sooner than mine do at 2000.

So back to some slightly dark wax- I am not comlaining. This stuff was new hayfork shake that had a good amount of uncleanable fan leaf and small stem in the mix. I think I c an improve though because of this...
1. When i saw the wax forming I put the patty back in the oven. Next time I am going to fold the patty over on its self a dozen or so times and get the waxinessa little more homogeneous in the mix...
2. The reason my patty got darker than it needed is because i had to finsih cooking the parts of the patty that were not done. If I fold over the patyy multiple times once is see wax forming and throw it back in the oven I think this will cease to be an issue.
3... Temps- I have my oven set at 150... I Know, I know, but I have been using 150 for some seriously light colored waxes, and when I was using lower temps I was not getting a usable erl... This patty was in my oven for 36 hours... Parts of it looked done after 2 hours... If i do the fold, and create a more consistant structure for the oil, i may not need to cook it as long-- Anyone think I need to reassess my temps...?

The crumble on the side was done a week or so ago with the whipping method... They are in the end, the same color, but the comb has better flavor.

Here is some wax I made using the same temps. Only much smaller batches.

Here is a kandy kush patty. Notice the different texture n color. Do u think i should try to make it all get waxy or have i burned the patty?

Between 120-130-

interesting i keep getting mixed reviews on whether to keep my oil at 105 or above 120 to get crumble. and whether or not to keep the oven under pressure the whole time.

ive been getting crumble at 105 and above 120 at -29.5.

ive also been getting shatter at 115 and -29.5. but some parts of the shatter have been auto buddering and im a little confused

kronus

I have this same problem too where my material after running through an open column looks like a wet pancake and can't get it to budder up

I usually blast into pyrex, warm water purge pyrex around 90 degrees till most of butane evaps , than I do the first whip before vac purge , after the 1st purge when the muffin/bubbles stop getting crazy I take it out and whip it again in the pyrex and notice it change lighter color , than I scrape onto parchment and back into the vac chamber (vac it pro on low setting griddle) ... at this point I hope it budders/honeycomb up but it just stays as a wet pancake type consistency and just can't figure out how to make good budder

Can anyone help ?? Any kind souls can help a fellow farmer??

Thanks so much awesome forums here
yea man the altitude creates difference. I am not saying its better or worse. The temperature swings my friend at 3500 gets make his nugs finish sooner than mine do at 2000.

So back to some slightly dark wax- I am not comlaining. This stuff was new hayfork shake that had a good amount of uncleanable fan leaf and small stem in the mix. I think I c an improve though because of this...
1. When i saw the wax forming I put the patty back in the oven. Next time I am going to fold the patty over on its self a dozen or so times and get the waxinessa little more homogeneous in the mix...
2. The reason my patty got darker than it needed is because i had to finsih cooking the parts of the patty that were not done. If I fold over the patyy multiple times once is see wax forming and throw it back in the oven I think this will cease to be an issue.
3... Temps- I have my oven set at 150... I Know, I know, but I have been using 150 for some seriously light colored waxes, and when I was using lower temps I was not getting a usable erl... This patty was in my oven for 36 hours... Parts of it looked done after 2 hours... If i do the fold, and create a more consistant structure for the oil, i may not need to cook it as long-- Anyone think I need to reassess my temps...?

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1159353&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
The crumble on the side was done a week or so ago with the whipping method... They are in the end, the same color, but the comb has better flavor.

Here is some wax I made using the same temps. Only much smaller batches.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1157869&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Here is a kandy kush patty. Notice the different texture n color. Do u think i should try to make it all get waxy or have i burned the patty?[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1159441&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1159442&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

kronus

Im willing to pay for a solid honeycomb wax tek that works the runs I have been doing have been coming out different consistencies and just puzzling

awesome thread here hope we can all figure out the proven way for wax/honeycomb success

Im willing to pay for a solid honeycomb wax tek that works the runs I have been doing have been coming out different consistencies and just puzzling

awesome thread here hope we can all figure out the proven way for wax/honeycomb success

i usually shoot for 2oz patties. basically blast into a pyrex and put the pyrex on a griddle (warm) with a ceramic tile or piece of glass between the pyrex and griddle to regulate the warmth. shoot for 115. once you hit 115 leave the pyrex on the griddle for 2-3hrs and in that window of time continue to whip then after 2-3 hours scrape all the oil to the middle of the pyrex. leave for another 2-3 hrs. and continue to whip the oil to the center of the pyrex. eventually if its the right trim you should see it start to crystalize and turn into wax right on the pyrex. then ill scrap the pyrex and put on parchment paper. throw in the vac oven at 105 or just throw in a vacuum chamber. if you only have a vac chamber just "let it bulge in the vac, take it out, heat it, vac, bulge, keep it vacced for a day or two.... thats how i got it, long vacs, no stirring in between"

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
If i wanted to make extract exactly like this... What would I have to do?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks!
Budelight

Note: i DID N0T make this extract

furrywall11

sell your soul to satan...jk

if you have a vac oven you might try 29hg @120F for 8-10 hours.... supposedly that makes a stiff, clear, resin, that snaps. i've only tried to make shatter a couple of times since i got my vac oven....both times it came out as a fruit roll up. another technique i've read about on here is trying your hardest not to agitate your extract and then putting it under full vac for 30 hours @ 90-100F...i'd love to hear some more ideas.. i'm getting into trying new things in small batches with my vac oven instead of trying to go big