What's new

Making wax- but it's too dark.

nakadashi

but i didnt.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1149567&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I had a brownie last night, not a cookie of wax.... So i just left it in my crockpot set on low all night. Woke up to a fully melted shatter looking, awesome smelling extract that was at around 140 all night. I whipped it up (keep hating if u cant handle it) and put it in my vac oven with no extra heat and bam, hours later came back to this budder that taste like the killer queen buds i used to make it... that were 11 months old BTW.

Anyone have experience wth making whipped budder in a vac oven?

Now that i finally have something asthetically acceptable and awesome tasting, i will finally start using material from my outdoor harvest... maybe even some nugs.

Again- whoever is negative rep snyping me for talking about whipping- you obviously have nothing to contribute here. I'm gonna keep doing what I am doing, trying to learn how to transform extractions into awesome waxes and shatters. I am not on here claiming to be a master, I am here to learn. So either help me out or or at least come out say who you are and school me on why whipped, fully purged shatter, is so bad. You are helping noone by snyping posts about whipping, except maybe your own ego, which is a different issue entirely.

When i negative rep someone, i do it publicly, not in a passive aggressive manner FWIW.
I'm not 100% sure I understand what happened, so you did a ~140F purge (no vac) overnight, and ended up with shatter. Then you whipped the shatter, and then placed it under vacuum, but with NO heat, and it turned into wax?!

I have read from several sources that some stuff is impossible to wax up (especially old stuff) because its fully decarboxylated. Made sense when I read it, but now I don't know what to believe again. I am definitely going to try this technique out. I'm guessing that introducing air into your shatter and then placing it under deep vac without heat allowed it to solidify into that waxy texture! Very exciting news

furrywall11

I thought he said he got "budder"... which is like blond goop that's fully purged, right? Or is it that clear oil with %97 THC made by that guy in Canada.. I'm confused.

Hash Man

I'm not 100% sure I understand what happened, so you did a ~140F purge (no vac) overnight, and ended up with shatter. Then you whipped the shatter, and then placed it under vacuum, but with NO heat, and it turned into wax?!

I have read from several sources that some stuff is impossible to wax up (especially old stuff) because its fully decarboxylated. Made sense when I read it, but now I don't know what to believe again. I am definitely going to try this technique out. I'm guessing that introducing air into your shatter and then placing it under deep vac without heat allowed it to solidify into that waxy texture! Very exciting news

Yea man, i had given up on the brownie that i created. There were honeycomb marks everywhere, but i had a light brown color with no appeal. I put it in my crock pot on low... It got hotter than i wanted. I whipped the shit out of it. I put it in my vac oven, which was off. Turned on the pump and pulled a full vac. When i released the vac, there was no deflation at all.... There is no solvent sheen to the extract either. It smells fresher than anything i have made before, so i am kind of happy about it, but am struggling to understand what is going on.

Also, the scrape is very difficult. Its not like anything like i have seen on youtube or here in regards to scraping wax. I see guys scrape wax with ease... This is very difficult to scrape and next time i wil do the final vac purge on parchment.

All i know is this-

Guys are getting wax every time they try when they are whipping.

Its obvious that there is solvent in a wax that has a shiny sheen.

When the sheen goes away, and it dries up, it smells fresh, just like the product it was made from.

I wasted over 30 lbs or more of shake and nug trying to purge in the vacuum oven, this is the first success i have had, so i am stoked.

I am loving this pouring method that mr durden keeps talking about.

Hash Man

I thought he said he got "budder"... which is like blond goop that's fully purged, right? Or is it that clear oil with %97 THC made by that guy in Canada.. I'm confused.

furrywall- im not claiming any thc%, but it is a buddery texture. I have been following budder since TUG started posting about it, but again i am nt saying its the same as budderkings or tugs. its a waxy budder that cam be scooped out with a dabber or spoon, you can play with it with your hands and it wont stick to you.

I wish i could get something to wax up for me in a vac oven, like that bomb chem wax u showed, without whipping, but i just keep burning stuff. its really frustrating. at least now that i know how to save an extract... worst case senario, i will start running super fresh stuff...

EDIT- budderking started with budder, but now i hear he is all about shatter.. all heresay for sure tho... but the timeline may help u clear your confusion. are you still thinking the ai oven is the issue with making wax?

furrywall11

i just read that he went to shatter too... i think i also read that his original budder was a 'mistake' that he could only reproduce using a specific strain. i'm pretty sure that when you see youtube guys easily get wax it's because they're running fresh ghouse/indoor trim in a vac chamber, in small batches, on a dbl boiler. trying to get wax out of last years outdoor might be too much to expect with your current knowledge and setup...maybe it's something only a pro could do...but, your budder definitely sounds like a step in the right direction. recently i was messaging with one of the bigger youtube extract guys and i offered to paypal him a $100 if he would give me any information that would lead to getting my ai dialed in... he candidly responded that he still struggles with his ai and that it's just an imperfect machine. i wonder if anyone actually has their ai 'dialed'... my temp differential isn't always the same and the temps vary so much from shelf to shelf that i can see myself having to constantly move the extracts down the line and dealing with the temp shifts every time i open the door to do it..i guess that could be considered a kind of dialed. it's definitely not the magical insta wax box that i imagined. i think the temps are probably consistent in the middle of the oven. maybe that's why only two racks are included.

Hash Man

i just read that he went to shatter too... i think i also read that his original budder was a 'mistake' that he could only reproduce using a specific strain. i'm pretty sure that when you see youtube guys easily get wax it's because they're running fresh ghouse/indoor trim in a vac chamber, in small batches, on a dbl boiler. trying to get wax out of last years outdoor might be too much to expect with your current knowledge and setup...maybe it's something only a pro could do...but, your budder definitely sounds like a step in the right direction. recently i was messaging with one of the bigger youtube extract guys and i offered to paypal him a $100 if he would give me any information that would lead to getting my ai dialed in... he candidly responded that he still struggles with his ai and that it's just an imperfect machine. i wonder if anyone actually has their ai 'dialed'... my temp differential isn't always the same and the temps vary so much from shelf to shelf that i can see myself having to constantly move the extracts down the line and dealing with the temp shifts every time i open the door to do it..i guess that could be considered a kind of dialed. it's definitely not the magical insta wax box that i imagined. i think the temps are probably consistent in the middle of the oven. maybe that's why only two racks are included.

furrywall- the ai oven is not doing it for me right now. I have lots of fresh material but am afraind to run it in fear i will ruin it. The 11 month old nugs are my neighbors stuff that he didnt move, so while its not optimal, i am trying to fihure out how to make the best product with what is in front of me and the nugs do smell super nice and there is lots and lots of frost with less oxidation than most i have seen at ths stage. I see guys getting 65 gram patties of wax a lot on youtube so im not sure if volume is the issue. i am really confused now. it seems that the extract must be heated until molten and put under heavy vacuum... temps lowered to solidify the marshmellowy texture and lighter color that occurs under vacuum and then raised just enough to dry it out and not melt it back to a molten state....

im still trying with my budder. im melting it down one more time to see if i can get rid of a bit more solvent, then i will whip n vac one more time

i think the whipping has to be done whenever its completley molten. if u whip a dry butter a lot it gets browner. also whn i tried to bottle up my budder it was a bit too sticky in the middle, not done.

Hash Man

almost there but not quite

almost there but not quite

ok, so i melted the extract down to 130 and whipped it like crazy. tons of butane bubbles popped out. When they started forming slower i went back under vacuum... It looked like this before....

i took it out of the oven and it looks like this now. There is still some solvent in there but it is combing up...

i need to find the right method to finish drying this out without darkening it... im gonna try 85 in my vac oven all day...

it looks like this from the bottom... its looking like the sides are waxing up, probably cause the temp was a little higher there... i will try 140 for a little longer next time...

anyone suggest anything different?

Hash Man

Organic Buds- Hi, i am not sure if I am the guy to ask, I am still very limited in my knowledge.

I think it depends on your product.

if its a+ stuff, and i was gonna winterize, i would just put in in alchohol and throw it in the freezer. I have noticed its very difficult for 190 proof to dissove everything once the bho has hardened. you will be left with little chunks that will not break down.

I have never tried it but try it out on a small batch and compare.

Today i started running fresh sugar shake from my neighbor, so hopefully i will finally get some good looking product....

I am really having trouble with the final purge steps and still havent gotten anything that looks like the shatter u see in high times or the the wax for that matter. Just got some custom marble slabs cut for my vac oven so hopefully that makes the difference.

nakadashi

Today i started running fresh sugar shake from my neighbor, so hopefully i will finally get some good looking product....

I am really having trouble with the final purge steps and still havent gotten anything that looks like the shatter u see in high times or the the wax for that matter. Just got some custom marble slabs cut for my vac oven so hopefully that makes the difference.

Father Earth says (I'm paraphrasing here) his stuff stored in freezer from last season still extracts like the fresh stuff, so if you've got the freezer capacity you might think about storing it there.

Any particular reason that you picked marble slabs over another material?

By the way, I spoke briefly to a CalTech student studying organic chemistry today... I asked him about how to make wax, he said water causes waxing up, so I told him I was thinking of mixing a controlled amount of water into my 'tane soup before purging, which he said should do the trick. I was skeptical too but the kid is a 20 year old organic chemistry grad student so he must be some kinda genius, or at the least, way smarter than me...

Hash Man

Finally Got It!

Finally Got It!

Hey, so I finally ot a nice crumble. Granted it was whipped but it tastes better than the charred stuff I was making....Maybe i can somehow take the knowledge from making whipped wax and adapt it to an oven in the future.

It was an interesting insight into how bho behaves ...Started with 325g of shake, ended up with 53g wax.

And yes, this was fresh trim that was not cured from this years frosty outdoor.

Here are some pictures- Its from something called 3 Kings

I did pretty much what slimjoint said.
I think i was getting confused before and not whipping the extract enough... I did the extraction, used the pour method, which is awesome BTW and let the extract dry for a few hours until there was nomovement in the pyrex. I went in and used the double boiler method on the griddle. I whipped once when the extract was 90F, the extract yellowed and puffed up. Eventually it turned to lots of little bubbles and lost its buddery texture... It was up to 110F.... I whipped again....A yellow buddery texture showed up, less puffy than the last time. Then it melted to a bunch of little bubbles again...
I whipped again.... This time the buddery, yellow texture formed, but didnt puff up and it dried up within a few hours. I kept the temp around 120 and when the shiny look went away, i scraped... It scraped right off the pan with no effort. Finally.

nakadashi

Grats!! Can't wait to try this out. Got people who breathing down my neck for wax/crumble -_-

When you say you let the extract dry for a few hours until there was no more movement, do you mean you just let the butane evap on its own without any heat?

Hash Man

Grats!! Can't wait to try this out. Got people who breathing down my neck for wax/crumble -_-

When you say you let the extract dry for a few hours until there was no more movement, do you mean you just let the butane evap on its own without any heat?

yup
im also did a straight cold extraction with the bhogart.
no heat used until i started whipping.
gonna dpo another run today and see how it goes, will update later.

Hash Man

Did another one

Did another one

I did two runs poured into the same pyrex.

700 grams
145 gram return
Same shake as before

a little better than 20%

here are some pics.

Hash Man

Looks great, 20% is quite high too! How fresh was this stuff?

Thnx it tastes great. It was outdoor sugar trim from 3500 feet, harvested late september and just trimmed. There was moisture in the trim and after pouring there was a bit of ice on top.

nakadashi

Oh wow, do you think the moisture in the trim contributed to your success this time? Also I am kind of confused about the relevance of the 3500 feet, my knowledge of growing is quite limited...is this a factor to be considered in plant material freshness, or concentrates in general?

furrywall11

He just wants you to know that he's really high... bahahahahah :D ;) Nice job Hash Man. I'm looking forward to trying that method out

Hash Man

Oh wow, do you think the moisture in the trim contributed to your success this time? Also I am kind of confused about the relevance of the 3500 feet, my knowledge of growing is quite limited...is this a factor to be considered in plant material freshness, or concentrates in general?

Just being descriptive- a nug picked in late september at 3500 feet has different flavors than one at 2000.

Just did a killer queen nug run- only yielded 10%:(
Its bomb but need a bette yield.