What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MAKING MARIJUANA GREAT AGAIN

Funkalicious

Been thinking about your tales of fruit pilfering! Are unsold fruits and vegetables harder to access in the US if not farming?

Where I live we get a car load of vegetables and fruit in crates from supermarkets unsold stuff.. With friends we regularly cook free meals for people on the weekend using this otherwise wasted food (lots or too much of packaging to process for farmers). If only we could divert a miniscule amount of these wasted fruits to farmer lion, you would be swimming in ingredients for your fungal foods!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
@Funkalicious , God Bless your kind heart. We can get some fruits and vegetables at our stores. The hog raisers pick up the entire amount available. I can only use a melon here and a bundle of brown bananas there. I can't store quantities of large amounts without it causing habitat issues.

I give the plants some bananas and lake water yesterday, this morning they are proudly showing off to each other. Here is the CherryBomb, Destroyer, Blue Thai and the Ogers Kush. I hope you enjoy them.
Peace farmerlion
20220707_090157.jpg
20220707_090210.jpg
20220707_090226.jpg
20220707_090239.jpg

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
How often are you giving each plant a smoothie?
They’re looking fantastic so far.
Hey Cactus Squatter, I give them a big dose to start with. With health issues I was behind in feeding the empty bags. Then my focus shifted to poor germination rates of certain seeds. So honestly my soil is a month behind schedule for a typical season.

After the first feeding I waited 4 days and then did a second feeding of just pineapple. Yesterday they got fed a quarter of a banana with a full blender of lake water per bag. This will give the soil a replenished potassium level again. I have one pineapple and one watermelon left to use. I will let them start to decompose slightly then use them both together.

Closer to fall there will be cherries and blueberries being discounted before they spoil. I will try and get some of them. I have 6 Chokecherry trees in my yard. I like blending up clusters of those berries also. I like a lot of natural flora material being consumed by the colonies.

I have two plants outside that aren't getting special feedings and it shows. They're less than half the size of the rest of the plants. They are not unhealthy at all, they are just cannabis being grown. I'll take a picture before I cull the largest plant that just showed male sex this morning. It's a Moroccan Beldia 1 from Ace seeds. The female is smaller, I will let her stay and do her thing.
Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hello, here's the new pictures of the CherryBomb after her 1/4 of a banana smoothie.
20220708_171422.jpg
20220708_171434.jpg
20220708_171449.jpg

This girl is blowing the (F) UP!!! I would liken the smell to a freshly fired shotgun.?. Not full on metal, diesel or chem more metal but with a sharp acidic medical smell, it's different for sure. These next pictures are of one Blue Thai fem and two Blueberry x Blue Thai regular seeds. I'm really hoping one of these two is a male. To have one of these crossed with the CherryBomb, I could spend many a year playing in that rabbit hole.
20220708_171546.jpg
20220708_171557.jpg
20220708_171610.jpg
20220708_171621.jpg

This last picture if it'll let me add another one is my mycelium integration tests and afew shrooms that I did eat coming up.
The Tomatillo tomatoes are loving this soil compound. The Orient Express fem is also happy. So far she is staying neck and neck with the Tomatillo plants.
20220708_172651.jpg

Have a beautiful day my friends. Peace
farmerlion

herbgreen

Veteran
Love how these are Livin' on fruit smoothies!

Im' gonna need that recipe!

There are a lot of exotic Melons out there LoL!

Whoa, hey I know what youre thinkin' ...but these are fruit

Melons have a lot of natural nutrient properties :smokeit:

Ncali

Veteran
You have been busy, farmerlion. Plants look great.

Plant sugars like fructose are so much easier to break down in the human body compared to complex/disacaride sugars like sucrose.... I wonder if it's the same for microbes. Probably not that simple at all.

The microbes are clearly very happy in your bags, and that shows through the plants.

Happy to have found this thread.

What have been some of your favorite and most successful strains in recent years? I'm always curious what's working for people.

All the best, peace and love

NC

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
You have been busy, farmerlion. Plants look great.

Plant sugars like fructose are so much easier to break down in the human body compared to complex/disacaride sugars like sucrose.... I wonder if it's the same for microbes. Probably not that simple at all.

The microbes are clearly very happy in your bags, and that shows through the plants.

Happy to have found this thread.

What have been some of your favorite and most successful strains in recent years? I'm always curious what's working for people.

All the best, peace and love

NC
Ncali, hello my friend.

What I have developed in (fungal repositories) understanding the soil food web as Dr.Elaine Ingham calls it, is how everything compliments each other. Everything is magnified, strengths and weaknesses. One breeder a couple years ago sent me two outdoor strains to consider. In a very short time it was obvious to me that these were poorly grown indoor strains that had no vigor at all. I had to cull all but one plant. In early August it finally started to grow properly, day late and a dollar short.

I had stopped updates on these strains as not to undermine a breeder wrecklessly. It's possible the genetics he sent could've been an oddity. Like a racecar with carburetor problems, it's going to stumble, pop and backfire when you stand on it.

Liked genetics that really take off are Aces Lebanese and Kali China. There's several more Ace gear I really enjoy. CBG, Peyote Purple and Destroyer are amazing genetics. This CherryBomb from Mr.Greenjeans is exceptional and the Grape Highland Nepalese from Green Mountain seeds is remarkable. The Blueberry x Blue Thai and Blue Thai are at the top of my favorites list for sure. Those are the strains I would try and save from a burning house.

This morning I had to cull a really nice looking plant. It was a hybrid cross I did from last season. It was a Gdubb x Purpura Regina. This morning it had little balls forming in clusters everywhere. So I took one last picture and said goodbye.
20220709_135359.jpg

Have a great day
farmerlion

Ncali

Veteran
Ncali, hello my friend.

What I have developed in (fungal repositories) understanding the soil food web as Dr.Elaine Ingham calls it, is how everything compliments each other. Everything is magnified, strengths and weaknesses. One breeder a couple years ago sent me two outdoor strains to consider. In a very short time it was obvious to me that these were poorly grown indoor strains that had no vigor at all. I had to cull all but one plant. In early August it finally started to grow properly, day late and a dollar short.

I had stopped updates on these strains as not to undermine a breeder wrecklessly. It's possible the genetics he sent could've been an oddity. Like a racecar with carburetor problems, it's going to stumble, pop and backfire when you stand on it.

Liked genetics that really take off are Aces Lebanese and Kali China. There's several more Ace gear I really enjoy. CBG, Peyote Purple and Destroyer are amazing genetics. This CherryBomb from Mr.Greenjeans is exceptional and the Grape Highland Nepalese from Green Mountain seeds is remarkable. The Blueberry x Blue Thai and Blue Thai are at the top of my favorites list for sure. Those are the strains I would try and save from a burning house.

This morning I had to cull a really nice looking plant. It was a hybrid cross I did from last season. It was a Gdubb x Purpura Regina. This morning it had little balls forming in clusters everywhere. So I took one last picture and said goodbye.
View attachment 18731724
Have a great day
farmerlion
I find, that sometimes when a strain has been bred and selected in a specific environment, it sometines only performs well when that environment is duplicated. And sometimes, outside of that environment it seems like the genes are trash.

I have had poor luck with some elite clones for this reason... everyone grows in salts, im organic soil. likewise with somethings that were obviously cultivated indoors for many generations, then put outside. Same with landrace/acclimatized things from other parts of the world.

So I've had good luck with breeders that grow in the same style I have chosen to, bodhi, csi humboldt, Ace have all yielded excellent results for me... no doubt they are selecting and breeding for plants that thrive in the same conditions I grow in. Super helpful once that clicked for me.

I'm growing a manipur Burmese girl outdoors to see how well she does, she I suspect is not a fan of artificial light.

I'm enjoying reading through your reference materials at the start of the thread. Very informative. Ha e you read much lowenfeld? I found "Teaming with" series is very cool. Pardon of you've mentioned that already.

Much love dude. Tuned in for the show.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Class.......Class,.......Class..!...!...!
SHUT !!! UP!!!!!!! Thank you, I'm Misses Mary Elephant. Today we're going to talk about Praying plants...who are they praying to? What are they saying? And why are they praying to begin with?

I was trying to use an old Gilda Radner skit as my intro for this discussion. Looking back on this from a future date I might be teaching a real epiphany?!
I honestly hope so, we should all be learning and asking questions.

Alright farmerlion what's the F...ing epiphany?

Plants have two types of stalks/stems. Eudicot like trees that don't pertain to my theory and Monocot stems that are what cannabis have. I will have a quick refresher from biology class so we are all on the same page of understanding to start with.
Inside the stems,
All stems have two key functions; support and transport. They hold the leaves up, allowing them to absorb sunlight, then transport the carbohydrates that are manufactured around the plant. Water and minerals are also carried from the roots via the woody XYLEM tissue, made of dead cells, while food and other materials are transported around the stems through the living PHLOEM cells.

The stems and vascular bundles.
Inside the stem, xylem and phloem cells are packed together into vascular bundles. Among flowering plants, these are arranged differently within the stem depending upon if the plant is a monocot or eudicot.

In monocots bundles are scattered throughout the core of the stem, but in other flowering plants, and in all eudicots, the bundles are arranged in a circle. This is clearly visible in trees: over time they will develop rings, but monocots never do.

My thoughts and theory on why some plants: and for our discussion here cannabis in particular PRAY?
I'm not knocking any single style of growing all have produced this result...at times. Circumstances of the plant being grown have a great deal to play in this in my opinion. When the ecological relationship between the plant and it's environment is favorable, you will see plants praying. I believe, and I'm re-writing this sentence again and again. It's not the percentage of growers as in a lottery. It's not in the percentage of plants as in a punnett square, even though both could play in after the fact to categorize information.

I believe why plants pray is because of (Hollow Stems). The benefit of the hollow stems is unequaled water transportation and transpiration throughout the entire plant. They are so efficient in providing vascular pressure that the stems and branches take an over cammed or acute position in relation to pith filled meristems and branches. Where more energy is being used to pressurize the vascular systems (Zylem and Phloem).

These over cammed or acute angles aren't possible at lower pressures. In certain cases even the leaves start to fold slightly from the central vein like a Venus Flytrap closing, by the way also has hollow stems for it's rapid pneumatic operations.
Here is a few pictures from this morning.
20220711_104820.jpg
20220711_104752.jpg
20220711_104716.jpg
20220711_104925.jpg

It should go without saying that anytime the plant is topped, super cropped, defoliated or damaged by wind and wildlife. This vascular system is like a hydraulic leak on a piece of heavy equipment. It has to be repaired or capped off before it can function properly again.
Now you get my two cents worth again. Every time a plant has to repair damages to itself, it stops producing the majority of it cannabinoids and hormones for perceived reproductive efforts and switches to a hormone group for preservation and fiber production for new stems and branches.

It's my opinion that these hormones change the chemotype of the strain in sequential generations loosing the (POI) Power of Influence. This has also effects the phenotypic expressions in my opinion. Emergency repair jobs aren't producing vibrant colors or aromatics to sustain the reproductive effort. Yes your pot might still smell good and get you high,... I say it can be better without all the stoner science and wrecklessly defoliating your plants.

I will see these stems and branches at harvest time. I will share my findings then. Please take note of your own plants characteristics throughout the remainder of your growing cycles.
Peace farmerlion

Last edited:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Thank you Blondie 😊 I'm on my way to the store now on the lookout for some more fruits!
Peace brother 🙏
farmerlion

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I just took a few pictures of the same plant an hour before sundown here and the leaves have dropped like a rock. If I remember I will go back out right before dark and get another picture. This girl knows her bedtime. Good news, both Lebanese plants are female! I have to update my notes after this post.
20220711_203351.jpg
20220711_204500.jpg

I don't expect that the Chocolope will have hollow stems, they are still pretty solid going into evening. My other f1's and the Lebanese, it's bedtime in their worlds. So far I feel my theory has value. Many variables can be at play, harvest will provide the best answers.
Peace farmerlion

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Hello again, the opposite of praying leaves is hanging near death. Well that's what she looks like at 10pm. I know by morning she will be standing at attention again. So here's the last two pictures I'll post for a while regarding praying leaves.
20220711_215421.jpg
20220711_204500.jpg
20220711_215501.jpg
20220711_215516.jpg

Tomorrow the plants will get watermelon and pineapple smoothies again. I carried the fruit in and told the girls to sleep well. So I bid you all a good night.
Peace farmerlion