What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Make-up???

ToughGirl

You know what they say: You can put lipstick on a pig, but you can't take it to the prom.
While this isn't necessarily true, it pretty well describes my feelings on the idea of women's use of makeup:

A beautiful woman doesn't need any, and an unattractive woman can't wear enough.

Be beautiful inside it's more difficult to accomplish but well worth the effort. Love yourself and others will respond to you in kind.

Wow, that's a bit harsh. Personally, I think it depends on the situation you're in. If you are going anywhere that is going to be photographed or filmed, I suggest wearing some makeup. I'm not talking about going in 'drag queen' makeup, but a little foundation for warmth, some colour on the cheeks, mild shading in areas that make you uncomfortable, and smoke up those eyes! It makes you feel confident and looks great when it's done correctly. Not everyone has perfect skin and perfect features, but you can look like you do without being completely painted.

H

hippiechild

I'm obviously young, but I don't wear make-up ever. I just have a normal face cleansing routine which is Clinique for the most part. I do wear nail polish though, my favorites are Revlon "red hot tamale" and China Glaze "solar power". And I sometimes curl my lashes and wear mascara, buts thats it.

FREEwoman

I love makeup! It is definitely an art. As long as it is done right, it can suite both pretty and not-so-pretty girls alike. I have tried so many different brands out there and my years of experience have lead to: (face) Bare Minerals ID- this stuff works so well you really do not need any other face makeup if you are the type with few or no blemishes, (eyes) Smudge Pot Black Eyeliner is my all time favorite, (Lips) Dr. Pepper Lipsmackers! For those rare days when you have a majorly obvious blemish/cut/bruise, I have found that Cover FX works GREAT. This stuff was made for burn victims, so it works wonders in covering up ANYthing! The rest of the makeup I tend to cheap out on (eyeshadow, lipstick, etc.), but I learned long ago never to skimp on the face mineral makeup.

solace

I won't lie, makeup makes me feel VERY dirty. I don't know why. I've long tried to enjoy wearing makeup. I just hate the feeling of it on my face, the texture, and it almost has a placebo effect on my eyes and nose/mouth... like i can't breathe - the feeling when you stick your head out of a car window driving fast and try to breathe normal.

Makeup is disgusting. It's no different to me then how people in the 1700's wore perfume to cover up their retched stench. That's how i feel about it sorry if this has offended anyone who likes it that wasn't my intent, I'm only speaking for it's effects on myself not others.

I use to try and enjoy the smell of my mums perfumes and wished I could enjoy the 'normal' things. I just never could, my senses and skin just rejected it (not allergic or anything, it has no side effects.... it's just simply .... my body/mind saying ew no. Why?

Trust me i've tried to figure out how to cover up dark spots under my eyes that are genetic. All makeup has ever done is been a hassle, waste of time, and clogged up my skins ability to breathe. Nasty!

Not to mention 80% of the guys I've met HATE makeup as well. lol

BG23

I only wear make up if it's a really special occasion like a wedding or extremely important client meeting at work. I let my natural beauty shine daily and I still get complimented. My grandmama told me to wash my face daily with noxema and put some ponds cold cream...she was right :)

jessrabit

"Get out of the city, it's killin' you. Find some solace and let the planet heal you. Drink lots of water, juice, and eat raw natural foods. Doctors only see what they have been taught to see, half the time using their ego as the main tool."

Hey Solace, I love this!
It seems you have a strong sense of what is right for you, nothing wrong with that.
And, speaking of what is not generally popular opinion is important. It raises awareness about the options and choices we have for how we choose to view our world.
:rasta:

U

UBER21

lip-gloss is soooooo sexy on a woman not to mention a lil goes a long way with the make up I think a lil eyeliner and a nice gloss or lipstick makes my day>>>my 2 cents ladies :)

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Anyone ever notice how alot of make-up now is trying to do the "natural" thing? Like trying to make ladies look as natural as possible? Now I think that's a little ironic..But I would still put on some eyeliner and lip balm now and then :biglaugh:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You give me a lady in a long football shirt early in the morning right out of bed with a BIG OLE smile from ear to ear is beauty plain but always true.

Mr.Wags

Helps Me

When younger I used to wear full make-up. foundation, etc.

Now that I'm in my early 40's, idk, make-up worn during the day, makes me look WORSE (even mineral make-up, maybe I'm not using it correctly or somethin').

I have dry skin, but moisturize at least twice per day.

So I only wear cover girl's outlast lip stain (the brown or the coral one most times).

Plus, I'm too lazy to spend much time on my looks. I just do the minimum to walk out the door.

But I'm in this 'natural/no chemicals' kick lately, so am gonna throw out most of my make-up and keep just the mineral make-ups (from bare escentuals and physician's forumula).

Oh and I'm looking for a natural lip-gloss/lip-stick that comes in a variety of rich colors, know of any? I'm gonna check out Burt's Bees for that and may switch to their shampoos/conditioners too. (I have natural wavy, fine dry hair so need a deep conditioner).

If anyone wants a good all-natural non-toxic soap that you can use for cleaning EVERYTHING
(including your body). I been using the Miracle II soap for years! (Gives ya lots of energy too, so you might want to use it only in the mornings to help ya wake up, lol)

Only for special occasions or going to a dance club or something will I wear full make-up. Dim lighting plus correctly-applied always makes me look prettier, it seems :)

I also have dark circles and wish I could find something that WORKS to cover those!! (PM me for what works).

Now that I've got more time on my hands lately, I think I might start spending more time fixing/styling my hair and using a bit more make-up more often. We'll see.

My husband also doesn't like heavy make-up on me.

I

itsachick

I am 21 and I only wear make-up if I am going out.. if I even then. Then its a little powder, mascara because I have long lashes :), a little eyeshadow maybe.. I was in pageants a few years back, I wore enough make-up in those couple of days to last a while lol, I never wore it any other time really.. It's not worth the hassle to me, I suppose. Here I am, take it or leave it.

I am pretty sure my husband doesn't like made up women..

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
I only wear mascara, and only sometimes!

But I bought this new mascara from sephora for $9 (last december, it was on sale) by korres. It is made from natural products so it won't irritate eyes, especially if you wear contact lenses. Really good, but the original price is $18!

beejaybug

i wear makeup, but only when going out. daily i wear a tinted moisturizer and a spf under it, cause my skin is really pale. my boyfriend says without makeup is much better, it seems like a lot of guys agree. though us girls are insecure and never believe them.

mrspollenjock

hey

hey

hey girls, yeah i like make up
i used to not be able to go out the house without
but since having my kids ive got no time atoll
which i think in a girls eyes it makes u pretty
and like a lady
mrspj

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
I'm not a make-up girl anymore....I was in my 20's (I'm still only 30, lol). I only wear make-up when I'm going out really. I don't see a reason to at home...I've been with the same guy for 9 years, he doesn't really like fake lookin' girls....nice make-up, yes. But not too done up. I do for the hell of it sometimes put some on, but really it's just evening out skin tone and curling my eyelashes on a daily basis. Nothing more than a little concealer on an average day.

mrspollenjock

hey

hey

I'm not a make-up girl anymore....I was in my 20's (I'm still only 30, lol). I only wear make-up when I'm going out really. I don't see a reason to at home...I've been with the same guy for 9 years, he doesn't really like fake lookin' girls....nice make-up, yes. But not too done up. I do for the hell of it sometimes put some on, but really it's just evening out skin tone and curling my eyelashes on a daily basis. Nothing more than a little concealer on an average day.
hey yeah i agree miss blunt ive been with my husband for 9 years and he doent like me in a lot of make up to i think its to fake to but i lke some make up a bit of maskra eyeshadow, blusha and lippie just a little but not to much u see girls with layers on and bright orange not nice a toll
mrspj