What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Make-up???

ToughGirl

What's the best make-up in terms of inexpensiveness and quality? I have normal/oily skin and I don't want to put too much make-up on...

Makeup as in 'foundation'? Normal to oily skin I would go with Clinique Superbalanced. It's for combination skin (type 3), oil free, medium coverage, allergy tested, large selection of colours based on skin tone (pink/neutral/gold) and it's about $20. If you want a thinner coverage, use an oil free moisturizer to dilute it a bit. I'd set it with Clinique sheer coverage power, also cheap and available in lots of tones.

Eye shadows and blushers, I'd use MAC. Cheap and they have heavy amounts of pigments, they stay on well and have an even tone when applied.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Thanks for the input. I am a broke college student and my complexion is clear 90% of the time. I don't break out, even if my skin is oily. I wanted to try MAC products but they're too expensive. I might try your suggestion for the foundation.

Thanks again :)

ToughGirl

Thanks for the input. I am a broke college student and my complexion is clear 90% of the time. I don't break out, even if my skin is oily. I wanted to try MAC products but they're too expensive. I might try your suggestion for the foundation.

Thanks again :)

You're welcome. Honestly, MAC is pretty cheap as far as makeup goes. I think eyeshadows are around $13.50. Mac and Clinique's prices are about the same. About 10x less than Lancome and Estee Lauder, and 20x less than Dior, Chanel, or Shiseido type 'high end' products.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
That's good to know.

I'm not a big make-up junkie, so I gotta ask my questions here for the meantime. Anyway, do you know what kinda eyeliner is good? Something that doesn't run..It just seems like whatever eyeliner I buy always ends up giving me raccoon eyes. :(

ToughGirl

That's good to know.

I'm not a big make-up junkie, so I gotta ask my questions here for the meantime. Anyway, do you know what kinda eyeliner is good? Something that doesn't run..It just seems like whatever eyeliner I buy always ends up giving me raccoon eyes. :(

I like liquid eyeliner, but most girls can't use it. For lower cost pencils that don't run, I think the Loreal HIP pencils are pretty good and don't run much. Especially if you set them with some shadow. In fact, the whole HIP line id really nice and really really cheap:)

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Oh I bought the HIP creme liner last year, but the one that I got seemed a little too dry. Now, I barely use it. It seemed like many other people didn't have trouble with it, but I unfortunately got the short end of the stick. Can I do anything to it that would make it more fluid?

ToughGirl

Oh I bought the HIP creme liner last year, but the one that I got seemed a little too dry. Now, I barely use it. It seemed like many other people didn't have trouble with it, but I unfortunately got the short end of the stick. Can I do anything to it that would make it more fluid?

You can always use a lighter! Hahahahaha, god am I dating myself! Actually just rub it back and forth quickly on a paper towel to try and heat it up a little, but chances are you got some old stock or something because the one I have seems to be really easy to apply. If the tip gets a little dry I just sharper it and it goes right back to being easy. But like I said before you probably got a bad one. I'm not a big fan of drug store cosmetics, but Loreal is owned by Lancome and they have some really nice products that I consider cheap.

M

Marywanna

Bare Minerals are great. I'll never use liquid foundation again.The mascara and eye and cheeck colors are fabulous and they last forever.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Thanks for the input, ToughGirl :)

I guess that was the luck of the draw, seeing as though I couldn't open the package and see if it was smooth or not. I'll try again some other time!

I went out the other night n' bought red lipstick. Thought I'd try something daring. lol
lipstick.jpg

K

ka0tik_kreati0n

honestly the only makeup I wear is eye shadow & eyeliner & mascara... I use a lot of rimmel eye shadows.. some maybelline, some revlon.. if I see a color I like I will buy it(if I have the $$).. when I used to wear foundation/powder I used neutrogena skin clearing formula.. I've heard very good things about bare minerals.. but for skin care I choose to use the regenerist series by oil of olay, and it really makes my skin really nice to where I dont have to wear foundation/powder... I'm a very colorful person & like to wear vibrant bright colors on my eyes.. I've been wearing a lot of dark purples shaded in with light glimmery purple.. .I just bought some new makeup brushes & have been experimenting with new looks... I have black hair(its not natural lol) I like the gothy look......

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Hey kk

I have natural black (or maybe really dark brown?) hair and I never know what colors would go great on me. What kinda colors are good with brown eyes?? Blue? Purple?

jessrabit

I must admit having had a short lived career as a makeup artist(went back to school), I am the antithesis of what I did for others. While I feel lipstick is my one essential, it poses the most controversy for me. Make up is toxic, and lipstick you may as well just ingest. There are very few brands of makeup that are willing to produce products without toxixity. In homeopathy we are taught you must be willing to ingest an ingredient if you are willing to put it on the skin. It will enter your body as surely as if you had eaten it. The more I learn about health, the fewer things I am compelled to consume. I use Burt Bees or Bare Essentials now. I own 2 lipsticks, 1 eye shadow, 1 mascara, and a loose mineral powder. Not alot of things but all high quality.
I long to see the day when our culture is free from the need to produce harmful products and consumers are free from the need to buy them.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Hey jessrabit,

Glad to see you're going about the same threads as I am :D
I too prefer using all-natural products like Burts Bees. My hair just loves their shampoos! No sulfates, parabens...My hair refuses to cooperate if I use other shampoos. Their volumizing shampoo works wonders.. I can also eat their lip balm but I know that's not what they're for lol.

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
I'll have to try that Burts Bees out. My hair is picky with shampoos too. I realy dont wear much makeup. Only to work or if I go out somewhere nice. I just cant stant the way it feals on my face after a few hours.

dkmonk

I dont mind girls wearing make up as long as you dont look at her and go "she has make up on"

I do find eyeliner used in the right way sexy.

Some woman are very much naturally beautiful and ruin it by going along with the popularity crowd and marketing. Too much makeup is a turnoff to me. It would be like spray painting your buds to try and add color when they dont need it. A little bit can be alright if done subtley. I think the way a girl does her hair can really compliment her looks. :2cents:

jessrabit

Thanks for the heads up Hippie Lettuce I will check out the Burt Bees haircare. I have been using Aveda or pureology but they are $$$$. It would be nice to find quality that isn't costly. I like to use organic raw coconut oil on my skin and lips. I always have it in the house any way and it makes a good moisturizer. Has anyone tried it on their hair yet?

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Hey jessrabit

Yes! I've tried raw coconut oil on my hair. Massage it in..I used to have all these pamphlets about the goodness of raw coconut oil. I used to substitute vegetable/canola oils with coconut oil. Really good for you, and keeps bad cholesterol down. Remember to get the ones that say "virgin" and "cold-pressed."

SoloGro57

You know what they say: You can put lipstick on a pig, but you can't take it to the prom.
While this isn't necessarily true, it pretty well describes my feelings on the idea of women's use of makeup:

A beautiful woman doesn't need any, and an unattractive woman can't wear enough.

Be beautiful inside it's more difficult to accomplish but well worth the effort. Love yourself and others will respond to you in kind.